Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2016, 10:15   #316
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Oh No! Exide battery woes again

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
Now I am trying to find out the terms of this pro-rata warranty online but I cannot find them anywhere. I cannot find the original warranty leaflet and I do not want to get cheated by the dealer.
You will need that warranty card if you are to avail of a warranty replacement

If it is not produced Exide may refuse the replacement. You should always preserve your warranty card AND invoice/bill carefully. Try your best to locate these documents.

PS - the Exide Matrix in my Palio 1.6 is now 5.5 years old. I notice a slight hesitation when starting. That may be because the car isn't used much OR water is running low. This is a hassle with the Matrix. One can only top up 1 cell using the magic eye. If this battery fails I will be buying an Amaron.

Last edited by R2D2 : 25th August 2016 at 10:21.
Old 25th August 2016, 10:46   #317
BHPian

Yesterday my Innova's exide suddenly stop handling central locking and startup. Its exactly 23 months old as OEM. Tried to find a matrix for innova but no battery dealer said that there is any matrix battery for innova, even though few online sites show this exide matrix to be compatible.

http://www.powerwale.com/store/exide...-battery/76914

Ultimately had to go for Amaron.

I run a compressor based car fridge, two dash cams, 200W inverter in innova. So i think 23 months life for OEM exide is fair expectation? But surely would have gone for matrix, had it been available in Delhi.

PS: The Toyota helpline guy who came to jump start the innova had only an old battery. He then requested a Fortuner wala to lend battery for jump start. Innova spluttered for few seconds then stopped. Then the helpline guy told me that alternator is gone bust and i should allow him to tow it away to Galaxy Toyota workshop. I called my regular mechanic and he told me that these helpline people want the cars to be towed away as they make more money and that its rare for Innova's alternator to conk within 2 years. I heeded to his advice and am happy that after battery change, everything works fine.

Last edited by DwarkaDelhiWala : 25th August 2016 at 11:14.
Old 25th August 2016, 10:51   #318
Senior - BHPian

I've had an Exide in my Elantra GLS that lasted around 8 years before it died! I replaced it with an Exide! Is Exide that bad??!!
Old 25th August 2016, 13:50   #319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
You will need that warranty card if you are to avail of a warranty replacement

If it is not produced Exide may refuse the replacement. You should always preserve your warranty card AND invoice/bill carefully. Try your best to locate these documents.
The new procedures are quite different. You just put the product & its unique code on a specified Exide site for registration and then one no longer needs the warranty card to claim warranty.
Old 25th August 2016, 17:10   #320
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
The new procedures are quite different. You just put the product & its unique code on a specified Exide site for registration and then one no longer needs the warranty card to claim warranty.
That's a good customer friendly step.

The warranty card specifies the # rebate you will get on a new battery v/s the age or time elapsed since purchase.

Since you don't have the card, using Amaron's formula as a guide and based on fact your battery is in the 24 months pro rated warranty period, (purchase date May '14, warranty claim Aug '16) you should expect to get a discount of approx. 45% on the cost of a new battery. This is only indicative and your dealer/Exide will give you the correct discount value.

Good luck with the warranty claim.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2017, 13:30   #321
Distinguished - BHPian

To my pleasant surprise the Exide Matrix DIN55 (OE fitment is DIN45) installed in the Palio completes 6 years this month and enters its 7th year. I can sense the 'hesitation' sometimes whilst cranking the engine but this duration of trouble free operation has been a real bonus compared to my recent experiences with Exide Matrix.

Yeah, a replacement will still be Amaron or a Tata Green for the simple reason I can top up all the cells with distilled water if required.
Old 7th April 2017, 21:20   #322
Distinguished - BHPian

The Exide Matrix battery has started hesitating to even begin cranking the engine indicating it's on its last legs. Took the battery to the dealer and had it load tested. It failed. I am pleased with the life of 6 years and 2 months.

A new one will be ordered on Sunday. Still debating whether I should go in for an Amaron 50AH or 45AH.
Old 15th August 2017, 11:30   #323
Distinguished - BHPian

A quick update. I simply don't want sealed batteries any more. So the Matrix was replaced by an Amaron DIN50. This is the OEM spec for the 1.6 GTX while the Palio 1.2 takes a DIN45.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2017, 14:20   #324
Senior - BHPian

I've had great experience with the replacement Exide batteries on my WagonR. The first replacement lasted around 6 years 3 months and the second around 5 years 4 months.

On the Fiesta, the stock Amaron battery lasted 5 years 3 months, and the replacement Amaron lasted the same.

On the Suzuki Access, the replacement Exide lasted 4 years 7 months, while the replacement Amaron lasted 3 years 10 months.

So Exide wins in my opinion.
Old 29th October 2017, 14:36   #325
Distinguished - BHPian

I think the woes of exide are not present since past few years. In fact, I have used both exide and amaron on our vehicles and both have performed equally well with similar longevity. I think this thread title is misleading now.
sagarpadaki is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 15th December 2017, 18:07   #326
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
I think the woes of exide are not present since past few years. In fact, I have used both exide and amaron on our vehicles and both have performed equally well with similar longevity. I think this thread title is misleading now.
Agree. I think we dont have an verdict on this.

I think we need a poll on this which will capture battery and life, both.
Old 17th January 2018, 17:24   #327
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
+1 to this.
I've used Amaron and Exide on each car at home replace and none performed better than the other, the only advantage with Amaron being better voltage at crank so there's no slow start. Infact on my bike the Amaron gave up waay too early, happily swapped with an Exide.
Old 17th January 2018, 17:34   #328
Distinguished - BHPian

On a note related to the above posts - while Amaron looks a safe bet, I have taken an Exide for the Storme this time. One of the reasons was the slightly higher Ah rating of the Exide battery.
Old 25th June 2018, 21:02   #329
BHPian

Poor Customer Experience With Exide

Hi all. I'm expressing my great displeasure that I had in dealing with exide battery service.
I bought an exide MI35L battery for my Honda City Zx in May 2016. The car has been used within the city without
excessively using the battery for running accessories/blower/lights. Also the car is regularly serviced at Honda authorised service centre where the service team checked the battery condition everytime and gave a positive report (as recent as November 2017).

Now the car battery conked off yesterday and the car refused to start.
The battery is only 25 months old. I called the exide call centre and arranged for a chekup at my doorstep. The serviceman confirmed the battery is useless now and we have to opt for a new battery as replacement.

As the company policies mentioned we had to bear 50 percent of the battery cost (cost to dealer) which was quoted Rs. 2000 by Mr. Umesh (service engineer). We gave it a green signal and today the technician comes to put the new battery with the bill and new warranty card.

I see the billed amount as Rs.2300. I grew furious as this was more than the quoted amount inspite of confirming with him several times before. When I questioned Mr. Umesh he couldn't give any satisfactory answer and later on sarted saying that he had told the rate excluding GST. Mind you this extra amount charged is not any kind of service or convenience charge.

This incident has really put me off for the following reasons :
1. First of all the battery conked off in just 2 years. This has not been case with other batteries I had on this very car. Normal life of battery is atleast 4 years. I would have been happier if they replaced the battery free of cost as it has completed 24months only in May this year (about a month back) as exide is liable for free replacement for defective batteries upto 24 months old.

2. Mr Umesh the service engineering of exide played with words while quoting the amount and I feel cheated now. Even his behaviour was unprofessional and questionable. This has really pissed me off.

Now dear bhpians please suggest what should be my next action. Seeing the poor performance of the battery and their unprofessional attitude I am keen on getting complete refund of Rs. 2300 from the company for causing so much inconvenience.

Moderators I couldn't find any relevant topic related to this. Please merge with appropriate thread if needed.
Old 26th June 2018, 09:03   #330
BHPian

Re: Poor Customer Experience With Exide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm2.0 View Post
...Now dear bhpians please suggest what should be my next action. Seeing the poor performance of the battery and their unprofessional attitude I am keen on getting complete refund of Rs. 2300 from the company for causing so much inconvenience.
It is sad that you have the experience bad customer service which is fast becoming the norm as people come to believe in making a fast buck rather than providing quality service.

However, given that you have already had the battery installed, it would be a case of caveat emptor (buyer beware). If you have a written agreement to pay only 2000 INR and yet got a bill stating 2300 INR, you can easily go to consumer court. I'm assuming there is no written agreement, so the best action would have been to refuse taking delivery of the battery unless only agreed price is to be paid.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks