Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2011, 13:51   #211
BHPian

Re: Oh No! Exide battery woes again

Just installed Exide Matrix Battery in my Getz Prime. The old one(Don't know the name) was replaced since it showed unstability of charge in it.This Exide matrix battery cost 6K.I had to pay 2k for the battery since the stock was came around 4k and it was under warranty. plus it has 5 years warranty. What do you say? Would it be reliable ?
Old 10th November 2011, 15:04   #212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
As I have mentioned earlier, the OEM Amco Yuasa that came with my Shogun lasted 7 years!!
Mine even more. Close to 9 years. On the 7th year one of the battery wire detached from the casing and it was a "jugaad" for next couple of year by my local TVS mechanic. I had to fix it once at Munnar on a solo trip. Unbelievably close to 9th year the cable was no more fixable and battery became useless, still it was fully charged. I never charged the battery externally and even kept the bike in garage 2 months (in year 2000) without even starting (battery disconnected). But I was regularly (weekly) topping battery water and terminals was always clean. Adding to that none of my electricals of Shogun failed through out my ownership of 10 years (1,11,000 KMS) Head light bulb was changed twice, OEM got fused in couple of year, then went for white Philips halogen which lasted many years then one day it's glass part detached from the connector so replaced with another same bulb. Sorry for posting long OT. I really miss my gun:(

Cheers!

Vinu
Old 10th November 2011, 15:53   #213
Senior - BHPian

^^^Wow, you outdid my record by a large margin! Thats how batteries can and should be made. On the other hand, one of the wires of my approx. 2 year old Base Terminal (in my gun) gave way few months ago. The dealer just soldered it back or something. Also, the battery as of now seems to be on its last legs. But bike has been very sparingly used, so not sure to what extent the battery can be blamed. At least it has not leaked even a tiny bit in 2 years, unlike ultra-crappy Exides and Amcos (not to be confused with the older, much better, Amco Yuasa) which belch like volcanoes.

As for the bulb, did the Philips Halogen seriously give better light output than a normal tungsen bulb in your gun? Surprisingly, I'v found tungsten filament bulbs to be better than halogens in my gun.
Old 10th November 2011, 17:53   #214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post

As for the bulb, did the Philips Halogen seriously give better light output than a normal tungsen bulb in your gun? Surprisingly, I'v found tungsten filament bulbs to be better than halogens in my gun.
Light was not that good. But a white high-beam was good enough for the oncoming traffic to dip

Cheers!

Vinu
Old 31st December 2011, 17:54   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
Light was not that good. But a white high-beam was good enough for the oncoming traffic to dip

Cheers!

Vinu

So what was the final outcome. Did the EXIDE MATRIX make it for more than 5 yrs as claimed. I am planning to change my M800 battery with this sealed no maintainence, no refill battery and want some testimonials. Please help. My other option is an Amaron. The MATRIX costs Rs. 5100 after the trade in of old battery (Bosch - 3 yrs old)
Old 31st December 2011, 18:45   #216
Senior - BHPian

Stock exide battery in my cedia lasted for just over 4 years, that in my friend's cedia lasted for just over 4 years and that in my cousin's cedia is still lasting after 5.5 years.. I am amazed...

But then My friend replaced the batter to Amaron (Rs.3k, 1.5 yr warranty and 1.5 yr guaranty) and I replaced it to Bosch (Rs.1.8k, 1 yr warranty, 1 yr guaranty).
Old 2nd January 2012, 11:03   #217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
Stock exide battery in my cedia lasted for just over 4 years, that in my friend's cedia lasted for just over 4 years and that in my cousin's cedia is still lasting after 5.5 years.. I am amazed...

But then My friend replaced the batter to Amaron (Rs.3k, 1.5 yr warranty and 1.5 yr guaranty) and I replaced it to Bosch (Rs.1.8k, 1 yr warranty, 1 yr guaranty).
Well, my OEM Exide lasted 4.5 years before one cell going weak. The replacement battery (1.5+1.5 warranty) is at 4.25 years, and probably will need replacement in a few months. So, its not surprising at all that Exide batteries last (as I had posted earlier in the thread). Of course, if one buys a battery with 1 year warranty, it lasts much lesser IMHO.

That said, it could be very possible that Amaron is longer lasting model for model!
Old 6th January 2012, 14:46   #218
Senior - BHPian

So, it was time to change my Exide battery - it was 3 year warranty (1.5yr + 1.5yr), and did do above 4 years. Charge was going down to 8.9V when checked today.

It seems the Exide 3 year battery costs same as Amaron 4-year battery (Amaron 3-year is 300 bucks cheaper). Also, Exide 4 year battery is 1500 bucks more expensive than Exide 3 year.

I thought to try out Amaron 3-year, with discount was charged 3.3k
Old 6th January 2012, 16:31   #219
BHPian

The exide battery on my Pulsar 150 has died for the 3rd time in 7 years.
Any suggestions on what my next bike battery should be?
Does Amaron also make bike battery?
Old 6th January 2012, 16:54   #220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I too have had a pleasant experience with Exide so fars. My Exide in my 800 lasted for nearly 6 years! On my WagonR, it lasted 4 yrs, 2 months.
Why are people complaining?
Further to my post made around 2 years back, my WagonR's battery finally conked off after serving me for 6 years and 2 months! It has exceeded my expectations, and beaten my earlier record of 5 years 11 months on the M800!

Having had 2 very pleasant experiences, I naturally went for an Exide again.
Old 6th January 2012, 17:49   #221
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvinashV View Post
The exide battery on my Pulsar 150 has died for the 3rd time in 7 years.
Any suggestions on what my next bike battery should be?
Does Amaron also make bike battery?
I had replaced battery of my Pulsar 180 with Amaron. If your 150 is a self start model, you can get the same. I am not sure of the battery of w/o self start model and I think it is smaller than the other.
Prass is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2012, 17:56   #222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prass View Post
I had replaced battery of my Pulsar 180 with Amaron. If your 150 is a self start model, you can get the same. I am not sure of the battery of w/o self start model and I think it is smaller than the other.
Yeah, it's the self start model & it's the first thing that conks off & then slowly the rest.
How long you been having the battery? Cost & warranty?
Old 6th January 2012, 18:06   #223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvinashV View Post
Yeah, it's the self start model & it's the first thing that conks off & then slowly the rest.
How long you been having the battery? Cost & warranty?
Hi, I bought it 2 years back and after 2 months sold the bike to a friend . But it is still being used by my friend very often and battery is very good. I think that it cost ~1200 rs and 2 Yr warranty or so that time, cant remember exactly.
Before replacing the battery, please check the regulator of the bike and check the charging also. I had to replace a faulty regulator once.
Prass is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2012, 15:16   #224
BHPian

2 Weeks on the road and my Linea went dead; the car had to be jump started. Post the dealership’s (VST, Chennai) failed attempt to fix the issue by exide service, got the battery replaced under warranty. But, there is no warranty on the new battery now. The SA claims that the warranty becomes void on replacement.

I just don’t get this, this being a new battery why does not exide provide a warranty on it, are its products so much prone to issues that they cannot afford to provide a warranty on a new battery? Or, is this the case with all OEM ones.

Has anyone faced this issue before?
Old 14th January 2012, 16:57   #225
BHPian

Yes, the same problem was faced by me. 2 months into buying the toyota altis D4D, the battery went dead, with hardly 1000 kms on the odo. Jump started it, initially thought that the battery might not have sufficiently charged, in the small ride after a week of the car not being started, but later realised, if that was the case, then the car should not start in the first case, and also that, a new battery should not discharge this quickly. When got stuck the 2nd time and had to jump start the car, took it to the toyota dealer, who informed us that its a battery problem. One of the exide battery cells was not functioning. it took Exide a 3 days to replace the battery under warranty. initially, as in ranjithpd's case, Exide said that the warranty would not be applicable for the new replaced battery. But after toyota dealers intervention and a lot of foul mouthing by us, Exide extended a years warranty on the replaced battery from the date of replacement.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks