Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2008, 22:46   #61
BANNED

Yes surprise, check out http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/819032-post28.html

A petrol car will last a few minutes without the battery (from experience).

Last edited by hrag : 18th December 2008 at 22:47.
Old 21st December 2008, 01:45   #62
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram18 View Post
Same case with my inverter batteries. In my case they were the truck batteries; damn unnecessary expense to replace. Surprisingly, I haven't had bad experiences with Exide in my cars. Knock on wood!

You got to use inverter batteries for inverters ,not automotive batteries . May be thats the reason the batteries conked off
Old 30th December 2008, 17:35   #63
BHPian

My Wagon R OEM Exide battery ran for 5 years. Changed it with an Amaron FLO today for Rs.3450 after exchange.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
Well, interestingly I've not had too bad experience with Exide purchased... but OEM exides haven't been good!!!

but what i have observed is that .. the battery life has some kind of pattern for each car!

Like my alto finishes up an Exide in 2 years everytime!... but the WagonR.. runs for 3+ always!... (similar cars .. similar sized batteries!!)

PS Alto is 6 years old... wagonR is 7.5...
Old 30th December 2008, 22:35   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
Reviving the thread since my 7 year old Exide died 3 days ago !

I don't think that Exide batteries are that much bad from my personal experiences. I've seen lots of Amarons conked off within 2 years.
I have been using Exide batteries on my cars, bike and scooter ever since 1990. These last me for at least four to five years(cars, SUV) and two to three years for the two wheelers, with all the TLC I can afford.Many have tempted me to go for Amaron but I said no. My dealer is the same since the past 18 years. I have never been let down with my Exide. These conk off with adequate warnings. During their last months I get them charged at home regularly to derive the best.
Old 31st December 2008, 10:26   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
These conk off with adequate warnings. During their last months I get them charged at home regularly to derive the best.
How do you re-charge them at home? Please provide details so that I can also do this.
Old 31st December 2008, 16:27   #66
BHPian

My experience with Exide batteries, too, is like anjan_c2007's. I have been using Exide batteries since 1991 and I have used no other brand. None of my Exides has conked off in less than 3 years.
Old 5th January 2009, 22:48   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi,

I too have never had a problem with Exide batteries. Have been using them in my cars and bikes since the early 90s both as OE fitments and buying replacements. All after market replacements were purchased from the same dealer for almost 2 decades now. It is an authorised Exide outlet run by a charming & helpful middle aged couple who set up shop in the late 80s.

Seriously, I do not have a reason to switch brands. The only other brand that might tempt me is an Exide Orbital (Exide in India is not the same as Exide abroad) or a yellow top Optima.

Three of the 4 cars that I have owned in the past came with Exide Freedom as OE fitment and the 4th came with a Standard Furukawa. My experience with SF has been less than satisfactory. In fact my Dad's car (a Palio GTX 1.6) battery just conked off today after a year in operation. Incidentally this battery was a warranty replacement. He too had an Exide Freedom in his car as a OE that lasted 4 years.

Exide has about a 70% share of the Indian OE market. Surely they are doing something right.

Cheers!

R2D2
Old 6th January 2009, 00:45   #68
Senior - BHPian

^^^It seems market share is a bigger deciding factor than quality! Strange!! If that logic holds, then Airtel, which is the largest telco in India should have the best network and service. Fact is just the opposite (esp. in this region - I know Airtel is good in some areas, so no argument about that).
Old 6th January 2009, 12:24   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
^^^It seems market share is a bigger deciding factor than quality! Strange!! If that logic holds, then Airtel, which is the largest telco in India should have the best network and service. Fact is just the opposite (esp. in this region - I know Airtel is good in some areas, so no argument about that).
Agreed that Airtel is a congested network in Pune. I use both Airtel and Idea. But I chose Airtel because of it's national coverage. Not market share. My work has me travelling especially to Bangalore.

The only reason I prefer Exide is because of my experience with these batteries, including after sales, over a period that spans almost 2 decades. Again, market share is not the deciding factor.

A 70% OE market share indicates that other than cost, their quality is is up to the OE manufacturers expectation. Otherwise how do you explain why Toyota vehicles in India, Toyota arguably being one of the most quality conscious auto manufacturers in the world, only come with Exide as OE fitment. This is per the dealer's inputs. Honda comes with either SF (an Exide India company) or Amaron.

Yeah, there is one thing I like about Amaron. Their TV commercials. :-)

Cheers!

R2D2
Old 6th January 2009, 15:18   #70
Senior - BHPian

Airtel just a congested network??? Thats putting it VERY mildly! What about call drops every minute, horrible voice clarity, cheating, etc, etc?? Anyway, thats off topic in this thread, and its been discussed in other threads.

As for car makers choosing Exide as OEM, even our Esteem came with an Exide as OEM. It gave starting problems right at delivery, then it just went stone dead in 7 days. Got it replaced in warranty, and the replaced one died just a few days after the 1 year warranty!! Car makers dont necessarily choose batts for their quality!! Mebbe Exide sells them crappy batts that are designed to last just beyond the warranty, at a cheaper price than other manufacturers. Or there could be other reasons. Whatever the reason, I'v not been a v happy customer.

Anyways, you somehow seem to have had a good experience with Exide )perhaps you have been somehow lucky in getting ones that are better made; and I haven't... Add to that, most of the reviews/experiences of people online are pretty anti-Exide. I for one, am not likely to go in for Exide again, unless I hear about a significant change in their quality and durability. Anyway, to each his own.

As for after sales, I always belive that the best after sales service is the one you never need...
Old 6th January 2009, 15:27   #71
Senior - BHPian

Hi,
I too had bad experiences with Exide. Replaced one each every year for first two years on my earlier scorpio before switching to Amaron!!
The best battery service I had was from Motocraft battery on my Ikon(ran for 6 years with regular maintenance)
Old 6th January 2009, 15:44   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Airtel just a congested network??? Thats putting it VERY mildly! What about call drops every minute, horrible voice clarity, cheating, etc, etc?? Anyway, thats off topic in this thread, and its been discussed in other threads.

As for car makers choosing Exide as OEM, even our Esteem came with an Exide as OEM. It gave starting problems right at delivery, then it just went stone dead in 7 days. Got it replaced in warranty, and the replaced one died just a few days after the 1 year warranty!! Car makers dont necessarily choose batts for their quality!! Mebbe Exide sells them crappy batts that are designed to last just beyond the warranty, at a cheaper price than other manufacturers. Or there could be other reasons. Whatever the reason, I'v not been a v happy customer.

Anyways, you somehow seem to have had a good experience with Exide )perhaps you have been somehow lucky in getting ones that are better made; and I haven't... Add to that, most of the reviews/experiences of people online are pretty anti-Exide. I for one, am not likely to go in for Exide again, unless I hear about a significant change in their quality and durability. Anyway, to each his own.

As for after sales, I always belive that the best after sales service is the one you never need...
True. I've had very good experiences with Exide batteries but not so with SF (Exide's 'sister' brand). Your experience & mine seem to be at the opposite end of the spectrum and most peoples experiences probably fall somewhere in between. Also, the after sales refers to the regular check ups that one needs to do and get it endorsed on the warranty card. It is free service which is mandatory. Never had to go to the dealer for a problem per se but he did take a personal interest (coz I am long standing customer?) and does ensure that my experience whilst at his workshop has been pleasant.

But as you said, to each his own.

Cheers!
Old 6th January 2009, 15:49   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
(ran for 6 years with regular maintenance)
What kinda of regular maintainence? U mean just topping up with distilled water, I guess??

Never heard of Motocraft batterys. Are they made in India?
Old 6th January 2009, 15:55   #74
Senior - BHPian

Yes regular battery checkups(distilled water). Motocraft is the OEM for Ford.
Old 24th January 2009, 14:38   #75
BHPian

Just got myself the all new EXIDE low-maintenance battery with a 5year warranty. Im happy since my earlier batter for my corsa was an exide too and with regular maintenance and checks the battery lasted me four full years.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks