Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2012, 18:42   #226
BHPian

Re: Oh No! Exide battery woes again

Wow!! thats some kind of a pathetic policy exide has, how can the consumer be sure that the replacement would not go bust soon. Would love to see it fine print, sadly I don't have my warranty booklet with me anymore.

Is this the case with other OEMs as well.

Anyhow, have raised a complaint with FIA, let me see how it goes.
Old 14th January 2012, 19:11   #227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjithpd View Post
Wow!! thats some kind of a pathetic policy exide has, how can the consumer be sure that the replacement would not go bust soon. Would love to see it fine print, sadly I don't have my warranty booklet with me anymore.
Thats how Exide is. For all our cars, we have always shifted to some other good brand like Amaron when needed who provide good service and dont have such strange policies.

I have always wondered why OEM batteries last only 2 - 2.5 years but when we get a new battery it lasts as long as 4-5 years.

I think amartya sinha has just reported that his Altis had the same issue but after complaining to Exide and Toyota intervening, Exide did extend 1 year of warranty.
To me, a company not willing to give warranty is a clear cut case of them not believing in their products.
Old 14th January 2012, 20:42   #228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
I have always wondered why OEM batteries last only 2 - 2.5 years but when we get a new battery it lasts as long as 4-5 years.
Depends on what the OEM put in as a OEM battery. In the market, there are 2-year, 3-year, 4-year and 5+ year batteries (as regards warranty) - and that is applicable to Exide, Amaron, and others.

My OEM Exide lasted over 4.5 years. Replacement Exide (3 year warranty) lasted just over 4 years. So, maybe, some OEMs are trying to skimp on costs and providing the low-spec battery (with less warranty) ?

On the warranty, Typically, if a product has warranty for x years, and is replaced after y years (y < x), I expect that the warranty should hold for (y-x) years atleast on the replacement product (i.e. the original 'x' year warranty holds true). If they do better, good on them. However, saying replacement battery has no warranty seems rather poor on them.

Last edited by lancer_rit : 14th January 2012 at 20:46.
Old 15th January 2012, 14:12   #229
Senior - BHPian

All my Maruti cars came with Exide batteries and on an average they last three years. I have received the Exide warranty card with every car. As stated in one of the posts, some of the OEM must be specifying lower specs for their batteries, just like the OEM tyres which last much less than the tyres bought in shops.

Recently had a funny incident. I replaced the battery on my Esteem with Amaron last April. After three months of lying idle, the battery would not crank. Got it charged still no go.

The funny thing was that the same battery would start my K10, and the K10 battery would start the Esteem. Took it back to the dealer, and he was puzzled. Guess what - the main terminal cable in the Esteem was loose, so under starting load(at a particular angle) it would loose contact. So I guess that along with the battery, we must ensure that the cables make proper contact with the terminals. Time was when the terminals were soldered, but now a days they are screw type, so loosen up with time (copper flows under load, and cables loosen up inside the terminals with time - they are helped by the jerks and vibrations).
Old 17th January 2012, 02:40   #230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvinashV View Post
Yeah, it's the self start model & it's the first thing that conks off & then slowly the rest.
How long you been having the battery? Cost & warranty?
Self start obviously conks off as it draws way more current than anything else. But don't wait for other things to conk out... or they may conk out permanently! Not a good idea to ride a bike with a very weak battery, else things like your RR unit could be harmed.

Yes, Amaron does make VRLA bike batteries and when I last looked the warranty was 2.5 + 2.5 years. You could also consider Bosch. Or Base Terminal if you want a regular, cheaper battery. Exide is the last thing you should use, esp. in bikes! Besides short life, they are prone to leak and can ruin your bike.
Old 17th January 2012, 07:13   #231
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
You could also consider Bosch. Or Base Terminal if you want a regular, cheaper battery.
Problem with Bosch batteries is that they are more expensive than Amaron's, and carry only a 15 month warranty. No extended (pro-rata) warranty also.

I'm not so sure about Base, though I would like to try AC Delco sometime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Exide is the last thing you should use, esp. in bikes!
Actually, OE batteries have been quite good - whether it is Standard Furukawa or Exide. It's the replacements that have been bad, mostly.

Last edited by condor : 17th January 2012 at 07:15.
Old 19th January 2012, 23:26   #232
BHPian

Post me registering a complaint with Fiat India customer care(1800-209-5556) last Saturday (14th Jan, 2012), got a call yesterday from VST Motors, Chennai, the lady at the other end queried me about the complaint and once I explained my problem, she hung up saying that my SA would call back in a minute.

The SA calls up and says that the warranty will continue post the replacement, says he enquired with Exide and though initially they said that the warranty will be void, now it seems that they have mentioned that the 14month warranty from the date of sale holds good even after a replacement.
Old 20th January 2012, 01:56   #233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Problem with Bosch batteries is that they are more expensive than Amaron's, and carry only a 15 month warranty. No extended (pro-rata) warranty also.

I'm not so sure about Base, though I would like to try AC Delco sometime.

Actually, OE batteries have been quite good - whether it is Standard Furukawa or Exide. It's the replacements that have been bad, mostly.
OE or replacement, Exide and even Amco are like a bomb in your bike. If and when they start leaking and fuming, and ruin your bike, you'll know what I mean. Thats my experience and also that of several others I know. And I also know that ALL of them may not leak; but a lot/many/most of them do. So its a gamble. And why gamble when there are way better batteries available, which also last longer? Whats more Amaron 2 wheeler batts (and possibly also Bosch) are VRLA; so expect no leakage for life.

Quote:
Post me registering a complaint with Fiat India customer care(1800-209-5556) last Saturday (14th Jan, 2012), got a call yesterday from VST Motors, Chennai, the lady at the other end queried me about the complaint and once I explained my problem, she hung up saying that my SA would call back in a minute.

The SA calls up and says that the warranty will continue post the replacement, says he enquired with Exide and though initially they said that the warranty will be void, now it seems that they have mentioned that the 14month warranty from the date of sale holds good even after a replacement.
Guess you'll know for sure only if and when you have to invoke that warranty in future. Oral statements don't have much value. Who knows, when you go to claim warranty there will be some other person and he may deny everything.

Last edited by Raccoon : 20th January 2012 at 01:59.
Old 20th January 2012, 11:57   #234
Senior - BHPian

The problem with bikes is that unlike cars, they can and do tilt a lot, even laid on their side. If the battery water filler holes are not sealed they will leak in these circumstances, this was a perennial problem when I had a Jawa (way back in early seventies, and sealed batteries not available) - the holder and even the box would get corroded easily if not cleaned every day. In my opinion sealed lead acid batteries, similar to those used in computer UPS are better for two wheelers.

In cars the problems are not that serious, and acid leakage occurs only if water is over filled, or the battery is over charged. Still leak proof batteries are welcome, as there will not be any corrosion due to acid leaks.
Old 27th January 2012, 03:08   #235
Senior - BHPian

^^^Well, I beg to differ somewhat. We all know 2 wheelers will tilt, but for whatever reason the thick skulls at Exide and Amco don't seem to understand this. Else why would only Exides and Amcos leak? There isn't even a trace of leakage in the Base Terminals I'v seen. In fact I'v not even heard of battries other than these 2 having leakage issues. Amaron and Bosch of course have no chance of leaking as they are VRLA. And like I'v mentioned many times before, no matter how particular you are - fix the filler caps perfectly, never fill above max mark, drain hose in place, feverent prayers to your fav deity... nothing, read NOTHING will prevent them from leaking and gassing and corroding your beloved. If the batteries are inherently so faulty, no amount of care is going to help.

Seems many people have used sealed UPS batteries on their vehicles without apparent issues. It has also been reported that they last much longer than automobile batteries. Strange why they dont make such batteries for bikes. Vested interests I guess...
Old 29th January 2012, 02:11   #236
BHPian

Quote:
If Exide sells you one defective battery and then gives you a defective replacement as well, does that mean you are stuck with a battery that is no good? That isn't how a warranty should work.

Also, is the warranty booklet with the rubber stamp needed for replacement under warranty? I've misplaced mine (though I may be able to find it after looking in all the usual places where I leave stuff) so am wondering if they will honor their warranty by looking up the date of sale in a database or something.
Old 29th January 2012, 19:29   #237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_nitin_r View Post
If Exide sells you one defective battery and then gives you a defective replacement as well, does that mean you are stuck with a battery that is no good? That isn't how a warranty should work.

Also, is the warranty booklet with the rubber stamp needed for replacement under warranty?
k_nitin_r, Post a complaint with Fiat India, the dealer called up and informed me that the warranty is good for the 14 month duration from the date of purchase of the car, even post the replacement also. But sadly, my warranty booklet was never returned, when I asked them how I could go about the process if don't have my warranty booklet, they responded that Exide has given them a replacement receipt and that it would be enough and that I would be given a copy of the same.

I am not sure they would replace without the warranty booklet, its always better to go in with these as otherwise it might be trouble I guess.
Old 14th June 2012, 19:06   #238
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
I got sick of this running around and purchase a new Exide Matrix (mfred June 2010 with a 5 yr warranty) sealed MF battery from him. Lets see how this one performs. Case closed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Well, I am back with Exide for a while. Now time will tell.
Hey guys, it is now 2 years since I bought the Exide Matrix MA45L (45 AH) battery in June 2010.

Just thought I'd report in that the Exide Matrix has been performing flawlessly so far and certainly much better than the OEM. Zero hassles quite contrary to my expectations from a fully sealed unit. It had a top up recharge once as the car was unused whilst I was travelling on work. But it started the car even if it was @ a ~50% state of charge. Further proof, as if any more was needed at all, that OEM batteries are built to a price.

The Matrix has a 60 month warranty of which the first 30 months is replacement and the next 30 months is pro rata according to a schedule.

Remember:

a) Nearly all wet cell lead acid batteries are made the same way - i.e. the chemistry (cell paste, Pb/Pb02 doped with antimony or the newer gen ones with Calcium) is same but the construction (cell separators, connectors, container) is different and that is what enables longer warranty periods at a higher price of course. In short you pay extra for the better construction and longer warranty period

b) OEM batteries are ALWAYS built to a price. OEMs pay a fraction of the market price for factory fitted batteries. Do not expect them to last beyond 3 years. My OEM battery started showing signs of weakness in just 20 months. I replaced it before it could fail completely on me as I have had a bad experience with battery failure in peak traffic. It was very embarrassing and I have been VERY particular about my car batteries ever since.

c) Maintenance free is a misnomer - ALL wet batteries, especially those with cell caps that open, require some maintenance including tightening of clamps and coating with vaseline, distilled water top up and cleanliness. So low maintenance is what I would call them.

Been reading some of the posts here - a replacement battery inherits the warranty of its predecessor. This is confirmed by Exide, Toyota and my local Exide dealer. So any SA advising you otherwise should be taken with a large pinch of salt.

Cheers!

Last edited by R2D2 : 14th June 2012 at 19:09.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2012, 19:47   #239
BHPian

I had installed TATA GREEN 65D26R (65Amps) on 16 Jan 2010 (49700Kms) in my Tata indica turbo. It came with an 18 month warranty, and so far (75000 kms) working fine without any issues. I too had a bad experience with my OEM battery, EXIDE Freedom (50 Amps). My OEM battery did not die completely(was a bit weak), but started to spit out the acidic contents as a result of which the area around the battery (bonnet, strut mounting) was getting corroded, hence had to change. I went along with TATA GREEN as it was costing approximately Rs 2000-2500 less than other reputed brands.
Old 14th June 2012, 22:02   #240
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manipal View Post
I too had a bad experience with my OEM battery, EXIDE Freedom (50 Amps). My OEM battery did not die completely(was a bit weak), but started to spit out the acidic contents as a result of which the area around the battery (bonnet, strut mounting) was getting corroded, hence had to change
In my 28+ years of riding/driving with all sorts of batteries fixed on 2 and 4 wheelers, one thing I note is that acid leakage has been the result of one or more of 3 issues:

a) Overfilling by over enthusiastic service men at car service and battery dealers to increase the duration for the next top up so it doesnt run dry before then.

b) High charging voltage i.e. over 14.4v or 7.2v for a legacy 6v bike system.

c) Breather pipe on bike not fitted and/or routed properly - My RX100's Yuasa (later AMCO Yuasa) suffered from this back in 1987-88 but it was totally my fault for not having checked the pipe after a top up.

I do not discount the fact that the OEM battery case ultrasonic 'welding' with its top could be poor and/or sub standard materials cause MAY cause acid leak. Having grown up in an era i.e. the 70s/80s when sub standard items were the norm, the Jap focus on quality led to a large improvement in reliability. I witnessed companies like Exide and Standard batteries (later Std Furukawa, now SF) up their game.

I have seen a Ford Fiesta's diesel Motorcraft battery wall flexible enough to push it in with my thumb, much like a hard balloon! So Exide is not the only guilty party - blame our vehicle mfrs for installing the cheapest possible built-to-a-price batteries.

Many of us car enthusiasts go in for after market stereo and tyre replacements once they take delivery of the vehicles, spending tens of thousands in the process. May be it is time to add a few thousands more to add a reliable battery to the list?

Last edited by R2D2 : 14th June 2012 at 22:04.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks