Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2015, 23:03   #211
Senior - BHPian

Re: Black smoke from diesel engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Hi KP, If you can source a MAF sensor cleaner or Electronic component cleaner aerosol spray that is the best option. Aim the tube into the actual sensor block inside and spray!

Else follow this method:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-rs-120-a.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
You can use 100% IPA which is available at medical stores.
Finally, the MAF was cleaned today. DIY work and used IPA.
Post cleaning, the engine revving isn't smooth as before.
Have done only 10kms. Will see how it runs tomorrow.

MAF Casing
Black smoke from diesel engines-20150616_152823-custom.jpg

MAF sensor inside
Black smoke from diesel engines-20150616_152832-custom.jpg
Old 16th June 2015, 23:15   #212
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post

Let the car run for some kms as it has to 'learn' the difference post cleaning.

Instant results won't be seen so check after a while.
Old 14th July 2015, 12:53   #213
BHPian

Vehicle: Ford Fusion (Diesel 2007 model)

Need help urgently as the car is emitting black smoke that is enough to blind the drivers behind. It is now lying in a garage. The below are the changes noticed as the car started emitting smoke.

1. A full tank of diesel normally shows 600 kms range/DTE. But that day it showed 670 kms range. Filled fuel at L Fuels, Lingampally after 150 kms of trip from a town. Filled there many times, but never a problem before.

2. Oil leaking into the coolant.

3. Heavy smoke in 1 to 4 gears below the speed of 60 kmph. Above 70 kmph less smoke which is bearable. (Or there is smoke which disappears due to speed?)

4. Heavy smoke even when the vehicle is in nuetral.

5. 4 liters of Engine oil consumed in one month but done only 500 kms. Had to top it up again as only 1/2 to 1 liter left.

Need your inputs here urgently. Please help.
Old 14th July 2015, 13:02   #214
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post

Need help urgently as the car is emitting black smoke that is enough to blind the drivers behind. It is now lying in a garage. The below are the changes noticed as the car started emitting smoke.
Check the head gasket for arresting the oil leakage.

Get the intercooler and EGR cleaned for getting the smoking issue solved.

Check the turbo plumbing and also hook it up to an OBD port to check the boost pressure attained.

We can meet if you want help in the OBD-II checking.

Is it only black smoke or bluish - white? I guess your engine is drinking oil. Poison rooms to be checked.

Last edited by a4anurag : 14th July 2015 at 13:07.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2015, 13:12   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Check the head gasket for arresting the oil leakage.

Get the intercooler and EGR cleaned for getting the smoking issue solved.

Check the turbo plumbing and also hook it up to an OBD port to check the boost pressure attained.

We can meet if you want help in the OBD-II checking.

Is it only black smoke or bluish - white? I guess your engine is drinking oil. Poison rooms to be checked.

Thanks for the quick reply Buddy. My brother in law took the vehicle to an another town and while coming back, parked the car at a garage in Patancheru. The mechanic at the garage seemed to have told my brother in law about leak in the head gasket.

I will be visiting the garage in the evening. Will call you if I need your assistance.

Last edited by JoseVijay : 14th July 2015 at 13:14.
Old 14th July 2015, 13:22   #216
BANNED

Quote:

Thanks for the quick reply Buddy. My brother in law took the vehicle to an another town and while coming back, parked the car at a garage in Patancheru.

I will be visiting the garage in the evening. Will call you if I need your assistance.
I work near Patancheru hence things will easier for both of us.

Do give me a call today or tomorrow. We can meet up.
Old 14th July 2015, 16:52   #217
BHPian

Quote:

5. 4 liters of Engine oil consumed in one month but done only 500 kms. Had to top it up again as only 1/2 to 1 liter left.

Need your inputs here urgently. Please help.
Hi JoseVijay,

If the units are right here, then 4 liters of Engine oil burning off to 1 Liter is clearly the culprit. Oil burning is associated with blue black smoke. Dont run the car, get the Engine head removed at a reputed mechanic and get the car checked. The more you run the car in this condition, the more damage and costlier it will get to repair the car back.
gopa99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2015, 22:36   #218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Finally, the MAF was cleaned today. DIY work and used IPA.

MAF Casing
Attachment 1382762

MAF sensor inside
Attachment 1382763
Damn that is one dusty MAF! Are you using OEM filter or aftermarket? I wouldn't be surprised if the OEM Hyundai filter let in this much dust, have seen the same thing happening with our ex-i10.

Did you use pure IPA or the one you get from medical store? How is it running now?
Old 3rd September 2015, 00:25   #219
BHPian

Update: Finally found time for my Accent which was facing black smoke and limp mode issues extensively discussed a couple of pages back. We last left at Naveen trying to source the EGR Valve. He found one used valve which we tried but did not have any effect so thinking it too to be faulty, I asked him to source another one. Also since I was mostly using the Liva and i20, issues with the Accent went to the back burner.

15 days ago I finally took her to new Hyundai A$$ recently opened in Koramangala (Blue Hyundai just opp. the Police station). Gave them all the pointers and explained the issues faced. They also suspected the EGR blocked/Valve/MAF sensor and asked me to leave the car with them for a thorough checkup. Went the next day to check and to my amazement, it was nothing but a kaput MAF sensor. They extensively checked all the aspects even when Hyundai's OBD scanner showed MAF error which they showed to me as well. Though they did not have the required part but luckily they had an Accent CRDi parked and removed MAF assembly from it to check on my car. Car performed perfectly fine so I asked them to order the sensor (15k) and also to open and clean the EGR(4.5k), check Turbo plumbing thoroughly. Had other small misc. things including cooling system overhaul which included waterbody/Radiator flushing/cleaning and change of all the hoses.

Total damage 26k. Result: Back to my old Accent CRDi Nirvana!!

Last edited by vinayrathore : 3rd September 2015 at 00:28.
Old 3rd September 2015, 06:14   #220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayrathore View Post
Update: Finally found time for my Accent which was facing black smoke and limp mode issues extensively discussed a couple of pages back. We last left at Naveen trying to source the EGR Valve. : Back to my old Accent CRDi Nirvana!!
thanks for the update vinayrathore. So if the MAF was bad, you were driving with a MIL indicator on dashboard all through? Also did you rev the car to actually confirm if the black smoke is really gone? Or did they do a opacity test to prove it to you ?
Old 3rd September 2015, 17:28   #221
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopa99 View Post
thanks for the update vinayrathore. So if the MAF was bad, you were driving with a MIL indicator on dashboard all through? Also did you rev the car to actually confirm if the black smoke is really gone? Or did they do a opacity test to prove it to you ?
Surprisingly, there was no engine check or any other warning light at all. I don't think MAF causes any warning light. Black smoke is out except under hard acceleration. I feel its still not upto the mark but will give it at least a 1000 kms before I start worrying. Don't think they did any opacity test though. The best of all is that the old torque is back and I am loving it

Last edited by vinayrathore : 3rd September 2015 at 17:41.
Old 3rd September 2015, 18:58   #222
BHPian

Thanks Vinay. If the scanner shows a Primary error code, then it should have come on the Dash display. I have an opacity tester and could help you with it. And hope the service company has given you the old MAF back to you. We could test it to see if its really at fault. I am leaving you my number on PM. Do call me when you find time.
Old 3rd September 2015, 19:29   #223
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayrathore View Post
Surprisingly, there was no engine check or any other warning light at all.
The engine management system is not OBD-II compliant. MAF / EGR faults may not show up as a lit-up CEL.
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2015, 20:03   #224
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
The engine management system is not OBD-II compliant.
Thanks for the information SST.

So by that case the data will show up only on company scanner? I mean the scanner used by the respective manufacturers?!

Like Maruti using SDT (Suzuki Diagnostic Tool)?
Old 3rd September 2015, 21:30   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
The engine management system is not OBD-II compliant. MAF / EGR faults may not show up as a lit-up CEL.
Quote:
Thanks for the information SST.

So by that case the data will show up only on company scanner? I mean the scanner used by the respective manufacturers?!

Like Maruti using SDT (Suzuki Diagnostic Tool)?
Bit OT but is that the reason why my ELM does not show Fuel related data? Although I have tried the same ELM on other cars and its the same on all.

Last edited by vinayrathore : 3rd September 2015 at 21:31.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks