Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2015, 21:37   #226
BANNED

Re: Black smoke from diesel engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayrathore View Post
Bit OT but is that the reason why my ELM does not show Fuel related data? Although I have tried the same ELM on other cars and its the same on all.
Great doubt, IIRC and AFAIK it depends on the sensors that are available to the ELM 327 reader.

Look at the screenshot below:

Black smoke from diesel engines-screenshot_20150626151723.png

All these are the sensors that will give out the data. I'll have to get hold of a SDT then.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2015, 22:03   #227
Senior - BHPian

The Safari 2.2 went through the same issue - excessive smoke and noticeable loss of power, which finally graduated to vehicle going into limp mode.

It was caused due to to leak in the turbo plumbing.

This leak also affected the braking as it fed to the brake boosters as well.

Details shared @ http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post3791360

The OBD scanner & TorquePro were of great help.
Old 3rd September 2015, 23:01   #228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Great doubt, IIRC and AFAIK it depends on the sensors that are available to the ELM 327 reader.

Look at the screenshot below:

Attachment 1410319

All these are the sensors that will give out the data. I'll have to get hold of a SDT then.
Hi Anurag,

I guess you shared this before too on the OBD thread. Sorry could not reply there. I tried this but could not find this info on the latest Torque free version. When I click on "OBD Adaptor Information", it goes on to a page with banners with links to buy various adaptors.

Cheers!
Old 3rd September 2015, 23:13   #229
BANNED

Quote:
When I click on "OBD Adaptor Information", it goes on to a page with banners with links to buy various adaptors.
Hey, I have the PRO version of Torque so not sure how it is in the Torque LITE.

This is main menu - Click on Adapter Status :
Name:  ForumRunner_20150903_231204.png
Views: 3579
Size:  167.4 KB

See that tab where it is says - Available Sensors:
Name:  ForumRunner_20150903_231217.png
Views: 3486
Size:  148.6 KB

That's where I get that list of sensors.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2015, 22:57   #230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Hey, I have the PRO version of Torque so not sure how it is in the Torque LITE.

This is main menu - Click on Adapter Status :
Attachment 1410332

See that tab where it is says - Available Sensors:
Attachment 1410333

That's where I get that list of sensors.
Thanks a lot Anurag!!

Its not the same in the Lite version. Let me check with another adaptor. If it works, will definitely buy a pro version.
Old 9th September 2015, 23:35   #231
BANNED

Quote:
Its not the same in the Lite version. Let me check with another adaptor. If it works, will definitely buy a pro version.
That IMO is related to Torque App version and not the adapter.

I'll check with the LITE version tomorrow morning and post the screen shot of what I get. If I get lost of sensors available in the LITE version then you'll need to get another ELM327 adapter.

BTW, when you bought the ELM327 adapter did you get any CD with it?
Old 10th September 2015, 09:33   #232
BANNED

Quote:
Hey, I checked the LITE version of the Torque App.

There is no choice and menu options. It is correct dials for reasons. See below:

Home Screen for LITE version:
Name:  ForumRunner_20150910_093134.png
Views: 3348
Size:  95.2 KB

IMO, conclusion is get the PRO version of Torque App. It isn't a problem of the ELM327 adapter.

Quote:
That IMO is related to Torque App version and not the adapter.

I'll check with the LITE version tomorrow morning and post the screen shot of what I get.
Old 17th May 2016, 09:16   #233
BHPian

My s cross emits black smoke in 3rd gear and whenever i press the right pedal hard( you can say when turbocharger kicks in third gear).i know this is not the correct way to drive diesel car but sometimes on highways you need that instant acceleration. If i drive it moderately then no smoke ( 4th gear + turbocharger = No smoke )
Old 1st October 2016, 15:19   #234
BANNED

Dear Members, need your views on a problem with Chevrolet Beat. My Brother-in-law has a 2011 model Beat Diesel which has about 39k clicks on the odo. A week back he parked his car near a clinic waiting for the Doctor and kept the engine idling with AC on for about an hour and half. All of a sudden, there was a thud sound with black smoke from the exhaust and the car turned off. My BIL finished his work at the clinic, which took him about half an hour, came back to the car, started the car and drove off. Since then he has been observing lose of power and black smoke from the exhaust even at idle. He observed the engine oil level going down by about 2liters for every 600KMS or so. He tried showing the car at an Authorised Service Centre at Vizag where in they say that the entire engine block has to be changed as there is a compression problem in one of the chambers. The quote they gave is coming close to 1.10Lac's.

Need your suggestions on this, as I suspect mostly a turbo failure in this case. My BIL stays at Jeypore, Orissa which is about 580kms from Vijayawada. He wishes to drive down to Vijayawada and get the car checked here as he is not happy with the ASS at Vizag. Is it advised doing this keeping a close tab on the oil and coolant levels. Need your inputs.
Old 1st October 2016, 18:05   #235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAPTOR-XUV View Post
Dear Members, need your views on a problem with Chevrolet Beat. My Brother-in-law has a 2011 model Beat Diesel which has about 39k clicks on the odo. A week back he parked his car near a clinic waiting for the Doctor and kept the engine idling with AC on for about an hour and half. All of a sudden, there was a thud sound with black smoke from the exhaust and the car turned off. My BIL finished his work at the clinic, which took him about half an hour, came back to the car, started the car and drove off. Since then he has been observing lose of power and black smoke from the exhaust even at idle. He observed the engine oil level going down by about 2liters for every 600KMS or so. He tried showing the car at an Authorised Service Centre at Vizag where in they say that the entire engine block has to be changed as there is a compression problem in one of the chambers. The quote they gave is coming close to 1.10Lac's.

Need your suggestions on this, as I suspect mostly a turbo failure in this case. inputs.
Compression loss in one cylinder-it is the issue.
It appears like a compression loss issue due to a defective piston ring set in one cylinder. It does not appear to be a Turbo issue.
The thud sound is normal when the engine misses the ignition cycle from one cylinder. Loss of power is also corroborated to this cause. The Oil drinking is to do with the Oil Ring not doing its job well due to a loss of compression. It needs the compression pack gas force to open well and swipe the oil conformably along cylinder walls. I advise you to get the engine shown at a local workshop and get the defective cylinder's piston out and checked visually. Engine block change is a remote possibility.
Please keep us posted.
gopa99 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2019, 22:36   #236
BHPian

Dear members,
Sorry for bumping up an old thread. I have a Chevrolet Cruze 2010 model running perfectly fine with no mods. It has done 92K and no issues sans one, a lot of black smoke when accelerated hard. I went through other threads in the forum which mentioned faulty pumps to tuning problem. May I know if I can do anything at my level because I intend to show it to trusted FNG and presently it is not possible for another 2 months. However, the black smoke causes a lot of embarrassments at light junctions. Thanks
Old 30th April 2019, 05:57   #237
BHPian

First and foremost please check your air filter, if clogged, replace it. Clogged airfilters, bad fuel reduce performance and lead to more black smoke.
scorpian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2019, 22:10   #238
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor-whiskey View Post
...a lot of black smoke when accelerated hard.
Sequentially do this:
  1. Check the air filter and replace as already suggested.
  2. Check and clean the EGR valve and tubing.
  3. Check engine oil level. Change the engine oil if more than 5000 km old, or not of recommended grade.
  4. Check the engine for blowby - remove the dipstick when the engine is hot and idling, and see if there's a lot of smoke pouring out. If yes, the engine needs some work. If no or minimal smoke, then...
  5. Use an injector cleaner such as System-D @1-1.5ml/litre, for 2 tankfuls of diesel.
  6. Take the car for a longish fast run on the highway after adding the System-D (let's say, 500 km without switching off, and occasional redlining in the lower gears).

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 30th April 2019 at 22:12.
SS-Traveller is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2019, 08:03   #239
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Sequentially do this:
Perfect to have a list!. I'd add something to make a small change.
  1. Check the air filter and replace as already suggested.
  2. Check and clean the EGR valve and tubing.
  3. Check engine oil level. Change the engine oil if more than 5000 km old, or not of recommended grade.
  4. Check turbo health.
  5. Check for leaks in turbo and intercooler plumbing.
  6. Use an injector cleaner such as System-D @1-1.5ml/litre, for 2 tankfuls of diesel.
  7. Take the car for a longish fast run on the highway after adding the System-D (let's say, 500 km without switching off, and occasional redlining in the lower gears).
  8. Check the engine for blowby - remove the dipstick when the engine is hot and idling, and see if there's a lot of smoke pouring out. If yes, the engine needs some work. If no or minimal smoke, then...
dhanushs is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2019, 08:51   #240
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
[*]Check turbo health. [*]Check for leaks in turbo and intercooler plumbing.
Missed out on the turbo. Thanks for adding it in.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 2nd May 2019 at 08:53.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed