Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2009, 23:06   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
And what makes you say they do??

Read around at a synth oil mfrs site or other auto enthusiast sites on the 'net and you will know. Unless explicitly specified by the oil mfr as extended drain oils, you go by the engine mfrs specs. None of the synth oils currently sold legally in India last drain intervals exceeding that recommended by the car/engine mfr.

Rgds,
All manufacturers recommend 10k intervals,still most of us change the mineral oil at 5-6K kms.
and synthetics at around 10K.

and yes synthetics do help in the long run,i have used them for almost 70-80k kms in my vehicles till date
Old 19th July 2009, 23:19   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
All manufacturers recommend 10k intervals,still most of us change the mineral oil at 5-6K kms.
and synthetics at around 10K.
Most cars have 5K kms intervals but we are slowly moving towards 10 and even 15K drain intervals. This is to reduce maintenance costs.

Quote:
and yes synthetics do help in the long run,i have used them for almost 70-80k kms in my vehicles till date
Price aside, synths are the best. No doubt in anybody's mind.

80K kms with multiple refills I assume.

Rgds,
Old 19th July 2009, 23:21   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Most cars have 5K kms intervals but we are slowly moving towards 10 and even 15K drain intervals. This is to reduce maintenance costs.

Price aside, synths are the best. No doubt in anybody's mind.

80K kms with multiple refills I assume.

Rgds,
off course with refills
and lots of them
Old 20th July 2009, 00:57   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
off course with refills
and lots of them
Let me guess there must be minimum of 10 refills if you are talking about your Korean AutoBot and in case of your Indo-Jap Decepticon i bet in 80k KM there might be around 100 oil changes
Old 20th July 2009, 12:18   #80
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Most cars have 5K kms intervals but we are slowly moving towards 10 and even 15K drain intervals.
That would be 15K drain intervals on fully synthetic oil I presume. Don't think regular mineral oil can last that long.
Old 20th July 2009, 20:43   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
That would be 15K drain intervals on fully synthetic oil I presume. Don't think regular mineral oil can last that long.
I read somewhere on TBHP that the newer Fiats (Linea/Punto) go for 15K on mineral oil. One of the owners will need to confirm that.

All mfr recommended drain intervals come with a caveat. Severe service generally halves the mileage based drain interval. That type of use includes daily high speed driving (>80% of the car's max speed) on expressways, stop and go traffic, dusty conditions and gosh knows what else. I change the car's oil every 6m/5K kms instead of 12m/10K kms coz I use OEM recommended mineral oil and it doesnt bust my wallet as synth would even with an annual oil change. Synth pricing is a rip off in this country.

Rgds,
Old 20th July 2009, 23:47   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

I've always changed my oil at 10000 kms intervals - and when I see it drain, it almost resembled the new oil going in.
Old 21st July 2009, 10:32   #83
Senior - BHPian

I change my oil as per manufacturer recommended cycles (10000 kms). I have gone in for Mobil Delvac MX which is an extended interval oil for my Swift D.
Old 21st July 2009, 11:16   #84
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I read somewhere on TBHP that the newer Fiats (Linea/Punto) go for 15K on mineral oil. One of the owners will need to confirm that.
Yeah, I browsed through those treads and it is indeed Shell's synthetic oil that the owner was referring to. FIAT claims that the oil has been specially formulated for the Linea and can easily last 15,000 kms.

As a rule of thumg, I change the synthetic oil in both my vehicles at 10,000 kms which I cover in less than a year (~7-8 months)
Old 21st July 2009, 16:37   #85
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I don't care what Fiat recommends, but if I owned a Linea / GP, the oil would be changed no later than 8,000 kms (7,500 preferred). Indian driving conditions & our low average commuting speeds are simply too stressful on the engine.
Old 21st July 2009, 16:50   #86
Senior - BHPian

my GTX's manual recommends engine oil change at 7500kms or 6 months - whichever is earlier. i change the oil every 6months. switched to Castrol magnatec at 50K - previously was using the mineral oil provided by FIAT AS&S.

The Padmini gets new engine oil (Castrol 20W-50) every 6 months.

The Getz has done around 1600+kms. Engine oil has not been changed yet
Old 21st July 2009, 21:58   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yeah, I browsed through those treads and it is indeed Shell's synthetic oil that the owner was referring to. FIAT claims that the oil has been specially formulated for the Linea and can easily last 15,000 kms.

As a rule of thumg, I change the synthetic oil in both my vehicles at 10,000 kms which I cover in less than a year (~7-8 months)
Ok. So synth it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I don't care what Fiat recommends, but if I owned a Linea / GP, the oil would be changed no later than 8,000 kms (7,500 preferred). Indian driving conditions & our low average commuting speeds are simply too stressful on the engine.
Absolutely. Severe service conditions apply in this country.

If you truly love your car give it fresh oil at time and mileage intervals that preferably exceed the manufacturer's recommendation.

Cheers,
Old 21st July 2009, 22:05   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
I've always changed my oil at 10000 kms intervals - and when I see it drain, it almost resembled the new oil going in.
So either your engine is really clean from the inside OR the oil you use doesnt have good detergent properties. BTW, what oil do you use?

Rgds,
Old 21st July 2009, 22:23   #89
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I totally agree. In fact I mentioned to one of ny colleagues to have his oil changed at the first service, but the service advisor told him that the oil is good to last till the recommended oil chage interval (the exact interval I am not too sure of) and so he went as per the advice of that guy and didn't change the oil.
Old 21st July 2009, 23:01   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I totally agree. In fact I mentioned to one of ny colleagues to have his oil changed at the first service, but the service advisor told him that the oil is good to last till the recommended oil chage interval (the exact interval I am not too sure of) and so he went as per the advice of that guy and didn't change the oil.
Service advisors are 'trained' to harp on the longer drain intervals of today's cars only to underscore lower maintenance costs. It suits most owners just fine.

Received the same 'read-from-a-script' advice but insisted much to the service advisor's amazement that the oil be changed after the running in and at 5k kms/6 mths intervals. No compromises on oil changes.

I kid you not, the engine feels smoother and if it had a face it would be smiling. All this with the Toyota mineral based 15W-40 oil. Imagine what synth would do.

Cheers!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks