Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2009, 21:22   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
R2D2,

I was talking about a Linea as that's the car owned by my colleague and the oil change intervals that Fiat mentioned to him were 15,000 kms. The ad of the Punto however says 30,000 kms which I can't really believe.

Cheers,
gpa
Thanks gpa. But does that mean it is synth oil?

People who hate changing their car's engine oil at 5 or 10K kms should go in for 'phat gaadi' as the local mechanics used to call the Fiat 1100D and its descendants.

Cheers!
Old 22nd July 2009, 22:20   #107
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
But does that mean it is synth oil?
Yup, it is synth indeed. Aparently, Shell has collaborated with FIAT and produced a customized fully synthetic oil for the Linea. I'm not sure of the specs of the oil though. They claim it can do 15,000 kms before a change.
Old 23rd July 2009, 00:19   #108
Senior - BHPian

^^^ 15,000 - 30,000 on the same oil is quite possible with fully synth oils. Actually, the tech for this has been around for a very long time. But oil companies obviously will not want users to run on the same oil for so long, hence such oils have never been marketed.

It is really good that Fiat is introducing this long oil change interval. I'm sure they must have done enough research before claiming this... else they would have heaps of warranty claims. Btw, whats the warranty duration Fiat is offering?
Old 23rd July 2009, 11:54   #109
BANNED

A lot depends on the car manufacturer. Since the advent of API-SF once a year / 12,000 miles was specified in some cars. If I remember correctly then Audi were one of the first to specify this. I see no reason with modern technology and synth- semi-synth oils why this should not be the norm unless

i. the manufacturer is not sure of his product or has a shoddy product!!
ii. he and his dealers want to make as much money as possible from gullible customers.

Honda are you listening?
Old 12th July 2010, 14:43   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
okay, forget the 5,000/10,000 debate. What is the duration between oil change intervals if the car doesnt run this much? My indica manual says 6 months. Why cant this be longer? if they dont deteriorate in the can, what makes them deteriorate in the engine ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
My question is , what happens in 6 months and a few thousand km, which is equivalent to 10,000km running
I have the same doubts. I read the complete thread, but these 2 questions were not answered anywhere.

Experts - please comment whether it is really necessary to change the engine oil every 6 months even if the usage is 3k kms (500 kms per month). I am using normal mineral oil.

i10's user manual gives the interval of 10k kms for engine oil change under normal conditions. But under severe conditions, engine oil to be changed every 5k kms or 6 months, whichever is earlier.

Severe conditions include mostly city driving, frequent braking, long periods of idling or low speed driving etc. Bangalore's B2B traffic definitely qualifies as severe conditions for the poor engine.

Rohan
Old 12th July 2010, 16:10   #111
BANNED

Once you are out of warranty go over to once a year / 10000km. I have been doing it for over a dozen years. No problems whatsoever. Other things like coolant, brake fluid etc. you have to reschedule, since it is no longer nth service for this and that.
Old 12th July 2010, 19:01   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Once you are out of warranty go over to once a year / 10000km. I have been doing it for over a dozen years. No problems whatsoever. Other things like coolant, brake fluid etc. you have to reschedule, since it is no longer nth service for this and that.
I have taken 2 years extended warranty in addition to the first 2 years.

So basically I should change engine oil every 6 months for these 4 years ?

After warranty expires, I would get it done once a year.

Rohan
Old 13th July 2010, 14:18   #113
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Experts - please comment whether it is really necessary to change the engine oil every 6 months even if the usage is 3k kms (500 kms per month). I am using normal mineral oil.
Absolutely no need to. Most of my cars get a single oil change every year (running is within interval limits). The only reason manufacturers want you to stop by every 6 months is to add to the dealer's kitty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
I have taken 2 years extended warranty in addition to the first 2 years.

So basically I should change engine oil every 6 months for these 4 years ?
Yes. Within the warranty period, and to keep the coverage intact, you will have to do as the manufacturer advises .
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2010, 15:21   #114
BHPian

Generally people tell to change at 7500kms odd on synthetic since i run petes on my elantra; but i have been doing it between 9000 to 10000 kms. Had 2 oil changes, no problem at all. But mineral oil will change in 5000 kms for sure
Old 13th July 2010, 17:20   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Absolutely no need to. Most of my cars get a single oil change every year (running is within interval limits).
Same here. The manual of my Baleno says 1year or 10K kms and that is what I go by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
The only reason manufacturers want you to stop by every 6 months is to add to the dealer's kitty.
Not sure about other brands, but with Maruti, it is the dealer that insists you visit them every 6-months. The manufacturer (via the manual) clearly mandates only a yearly/10K-kms check.

My reasoning is that the manufacturer knows their car best and so go by what they say.
Old 13th July 2010, 22:48   #116
BANNED

@supremebaleno: The manufacturer also has to keep his dealers as profitable as possible. This this discussion we have forgotten the other element totally - the oil manufacturer. What they recommend is that starting with API-SF once a year / 10,000miles is all that is needed. Today the only valid grades as per API are SJ, SL and SM. Others are obsolete.
Old 13th July 2010, 23:06   #117
BHPian

Thanks GTO, Supremebaleno and sgiitk !
Its been 7 months and 4k Kms since my last service, was told by a friend to get oil changed.. If i hadnt read this i would've and wasted around Rs1000 for sure.
Old 14th July 2010, 11:59   #118
BANNED

@guptavis: I am not sure how tech savvy you are, but at the cost of repeating (GTO please excuse) let me summarise.

1. As long as there are no warranty issues, once a year or 10,000km is perfectly kosher for the oil. Avoid PSU oil in future as it is lower grade, at best SJ mostly SF/SG.
2. make sure you schedule coolant and brake fluid change properly. The old school was once in two years. I just saaw Honda stating once in three years for the brake fluid, and once in 10 years for the coolant, The brake oil is the standard DOT3 while to coolant s some special fluid.
3. When buying oil go for API-SL or SM from a well known firm. The former is invariably Mineral, while the latter may be mineral, semi-synth or full synth. Most cars do not necesarily benefit from a full synth. I have mostly used a semi-synth so far. However, Honda may force me to go full synth, at least till the warranty is there, since they say once a year with synth, and twice a year with semi-synth. I continue with a semi-synth in my Santro!
Old 14th July 2010, 12:56   #119
Senior - BHPian

For those who think that changing earlier will only benifit at little cost please consider the environmental costs involved. Not only you hurt your pocket a little but earth as well if you change more often then needed.

The US Environmental Protection Agency is running a campaign to debunk 3000 mile ( roughly 5000Km) myth for quite some time now.
The 3000 Mile Oil Change Myth Debunked

Problem in India is more severe as most often the used oil is simply disposed off without proper treatment ( after being resold as spurious oil though)

I love Safari Dicors 15000 Km interval on plain old API-CH4 mineral oil.
Oil change as per service interval ( 1 year) is must for warranty but I see no reason why some one should change more often then what the manufacturer says.
I have myself done a stupidity of voluntary oil change once despite Service advisor being against it but never again as it made absolutely no difference.

Last edited by amitk26 : 14th July 2010 at 13:05.
amitk26 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2010, 21:23   #120
BHPian

re: Engine oil change at 5000 or 10000 km?

In my OHC oil change has been done only once a year when we give it to the dealer for service and it's still on mineral oil. Recently it's been getting to me that the there's something wrong with the engine. I don't know if it's just because of me thinking too much about it - but I'm considering changing to synthetic just so that the once a year oil change goes better on my soul.

Are there any sign to look out for extended engine wear? I've checked the oil on the dipstick and it's still a deep red with no particles or bubbles. and there is no over heating on the temp meter. The radiator fan does kick in occasionally though - even in idle.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks