Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2009, 14:40   #91
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Received the same 'read-from-a-script' advice but insisted much to the service advisor's amazement that the oil be changed after the running in and at 5k kms/6 mths intervals. No compromises on oil changes.
R2D2,

Was just talking to my colleague over lunch and told him about this again. He seemed flabbergasted and asked me why he should change the oil when the service centre advises against it. I then went on to explain to him the process of the running in of the engine and he then seemed to be very welcome to the idea.

He also said that in the past for his Esteem, he had really poor fuel economy and when I asked him what were his oil change intervals, he said 12,000 to 13,000 kms on average. That too on mineral oil. That explains his poor FE. He'll be going to get the oil change in his Linea this weekend. I also asked him to join our esteemed community.

Cheers,
gpa
Old 22nd July 2009, 15:36   #92
BHPian

Quote:
I read somewhere on TBHP that the newer Fiats (Linea/Punto) go for 15K on mineral oil. One of the owners will need to confirm that.
Very True R2D2 oil change interval in a Fiat Punto according to dealer leaflet is 30000 Kms!

See for yourself.
Attached Thumbnails
Engine oil change at 5000 or 10000 km?-punto.jpg  

Old 22nd July 2009, 15:54   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
R2D2,

Was just talking to my colleague over lunch and told him about this again. He seemed flabbergasted and asked me why he should change the oil when the service centre advises against it. I then went on to explain to him the process of the running in of the engine and he then seemed to be very welcome to the idea.

He also said that in the past for his Esteem, he had really poor fuel economy and when I asked him what were his oil change intervals, he said 12,000 to 13,000 kms on average. That too on mineral oil. That explains his poor FE. He'll be going to get the oil change in his Linea this weekend. I also asked him to join our esteemed community.

Cheers,
gpa
Gosh, if he does join, he may become a weekend oil change freak like many here.

12,000 km with the same oil in an Esteem is probably not too excessive if his the car and driving conditions are close to optimal and if the oil is a recent grade. That is assuming the distance covered is within a year's duration. If his driving comes under the servere catageory, then of course its a different matter.
Old 22nd July 2009, 16:11   #94
Team-BHP Support

I saw a D'zire that had run 42k without an oil change till the engine gave up. I don't know how 30k can be advised.
Eddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2009, 16:21   #95
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
If his driving comes under the servere catageory, then of course its a different matter.
Raccoon,

He normally clocks about ~13,000 kms in about a year on average and the driving would definitely fall under the severe category. Overall, the car was maintained badly and was not serviced at regular intervals as well.

Cheers,
gpa
Old 22nd July 2009, 18:08   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampro View Post
Very True R2D2 oil change interval in a Fiat Punto according to dealer leaflet is 30000 Kms!

See for yourself.
30k!! Holy Moly! I am speechless!! I am sure this leaflet doesnt mean 30K kms on synth, it refers to mineral oil!

Rgds,

Last edited by R2D2 : 22nd July 2009 at 18:10.
Old 22nd July 2009, 18:15   #97
BHPian

good god, 30k - thats impossible to believe even under perfect driving conditions. Let me guess , Fiat put in a frictionless , non-heat producing engine for their new cars?
Old 22nd July 2009, 18:20   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
He'll be going to get the oil change in his Linea this weekend. I also asked him to join our esteemed community.
I am sure all TBHPians will welcome him. The chap has a very nice car and it would be good to see it treated well right from the time it is new.

Our cars are pampered like babies in comparison to run-of-the-mill car owners. I dont consider TBHPians normal as those of us who are married would have been reminded on and off by our spouses of incomprehensible and almost childlike behaviour when it comes to cars.

Rgds,

Last edited by R2D2 : 22nd July 2009 at 18:21. Reason: typo
Old 22nd July 2009, 18:32   #99
Senior - BHPian

okay, forget the 5,000/10,000 debate. What is the duration between oil change intervals if the car doesnt run this much? My indica manual says 6 months. Why cant this be longer? if they dont deteriorate in the can, what makes them deteriorate in the engine ?
Old 22nd July 2009, 18:46   #100
BHPian

Lets see - does the can get heated to extreme temperatures and then cooled down a few times every day? Does it get mixed up with carbon, soot and fumes while in the can? Does it get mixed with water (due to condensation - cold starts etc.) when its in the can , which further leads to deterioration and formation of acids?

If your answer to all of the above is yes, then the oil should last forever and not deteriorate in the engine just as it doesnt in the can. Unfortunately the answer is no...

changing the oil frequently and using a good quality branded oil is one of the most basic things that a car lover should do for not just a long life but also a smoother running engine / car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
okay, forget the 5,000/10,000 debate. What is the duration between oil change intervals if the car doesnt run this much? My indica manual says 6 months. Why cant this be longer? if they dont deteriorate in the can, what makes them deteriorate in the engine ?
Old 22nd July 2009, 19:05   #101
BHPian

Quote:
30k!! Holy Moly! I am speechless!! I am sure this leaflet doesnt mean 30K kms on synth, it refers to mineral oil!

Rgds,
I have read somewhere in the forum that Punto by default comes with synthetic. I think thats why the longer interval.
Old 22nd July 2009, 19:09   #102
Senior - BHPian

Takumi San, My question is , what happens in 6 months and a few thousand km, which is equivalent to 10,000km running
Old 22nd July 2009, 20:15   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasanth View Post
I have read somewhere in the forum that Punto by default comes with synthetic. I think thats why the longer interval.
Yes there's a post by gpa that mentions the use of synthetic in the Punto. Is this confirmed?

30K is like 19k miles. Way too long a drain interval even for synthetic. I guess they're referring to the petrol Punto as the diesel multijet is in use in other cars made by Maruti and Tata which do not have extended drain intervals like this one does.

If it is 30K (instead of the 15K I read on this forum) then this is a first for me and hats off to Fiat for having achieved this.

Rgds,
Old 22nd July 2009, 20:38   #104
Senior - BHPian

yup, i think fiat recommends synth. I think their intention is to keep their vehicles as far away from their so called service centers, and does not reflect any technical achievements
Old 22nd July 2009, 20:42   #105
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes there's a post by gpa that mentions the use of synthetic in the Punto. Is this confirmed?
R2D2,

I was talking about a Linea as that's the car owned by my colleague and the oil change intervals that Fiat mentioned to him were 15,000 kms. The ad of the Punto however says 30,000 kms which I can't really believe.

Cheers,
gpa

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks