Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2008, 10:25   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gods-envy View Post
could you also please tell me how much did this auto clutch cost you.
Yeah sure, I had paid 25k in Dec 04 in Bangalore for this system. Understand now in Delhi the ppl are charging around 40k for this.
Old 20th October 2008, 10:28   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Is this the same Automate product you were talking about in the thread below?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...-automate.html

Seems you were quite happy with the product initially, but over time the pains it has given you have started to outweigh the joys you got out of it.
Yes, it is the same Automate product as per the link given by you. I was just in awe over the pros of the product as given in my earlier mail and didnt mind frequent trips to service center.

However down the lane, I started seeing that even visting the service center and paying huge money didnt help the product run in shape and the poor service made me remove the same from my car.
Old 20th October 2008, 10:32   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
I am still curious to know why you went for the product the 2nd time, when you already had had a bad first experience?
I didnt go for the product second time. Its the same product installed in Bangalore. The car n me now in Delhi resulted me in going to the service centers in Delhi (Only two active service centers in Delhi, went to both) . In between I was in Mumbai as well, (there are 3 service centers in Mumbai), and the work is done by one person (in all 3 service centers) named Sandeep there. He also knows me very well (thanks to frequent breakdowns of the component and exorbitant money minted from me for repairs)
Old 20th October 2008, 10:39   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Sorry to hear about your experience. I guess, it makes sense to pay the premium for a factory-fit automatic transmission. Good news is, the options are only increasing now (i10, Honda City, Corolla, Scorpio).

Thanks for sharing such a detailed review with the community.
GTO, you are right, I am now repenting that I fell in the trap of after market fitted option.

It REALLY makes sense to pay premium (doesnt matter if its 1-2 Lacs) to get factory fitted automatic transmission.

The cars you have mentioned, I am interested in Honda and or second hand corolla -- automatic versions..wud buy soon... Will start a thread if need any inputs from you guys...Have already read Vasudevas post on corolla automatic several times
Old 20th October 2008, 10:55   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Ps - could you post some pics of the system (inside the cockpit, also underthe hood if you can?
Yeah sure..I have a pic of the gear knob, however there are some more components which I will mention but donot have the pic and cant take the pic now as its no longer on my car now.

1. Pic of Gear Knob. The Red color button is used to switch ON-OFF the system. The black color button on the knob is used to press the clutch.
2. There is an Integrated Circuit, which is kept in front above the legs of the co-passenger on the front seat. This is the one which senses the button press and sends the signal to the motor
3. There is a small box installed under the hood of the car, which has a motor, this motor pulls/releases the clutch (a wiring is also done with the clutch wiring from this motor under the hood)

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
And --- May be some guru's can assist you in a DIY project to overcome the problem. I am guessing this is just a simple mechanism (high price doesnt mean a thing), with a sensor and motor. My bet is - on many cars in India - the ignition wont start unless the clutch is depressed. May be 'that' sensor is used differently is this system. (i remember even the vespa scooter with button start had such a system). And if the motor is something that (can) run off a simple 'wiper' or such a easily available motor - we 'may be' able to fix the issue.
Having tried my hands with one such component, I donot want to take chances and better rely on automatics made my the best car manufacturers like Honda, Toyota or even Hyundai...
Attached Thumbnails
Autoclutch Review-gear-knob.jpg  

tanwaramit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2008, 12:58   #21

Hi. This is my first post, though I have been a silent reader since a long time.

I read about the auto clutch in one of the threads in this forum. Recently, I was thinking of buying an automatic car since I am sick of the Delhi traffic and driving around is now becoming a drag, creeping monotonously "stop and go and stop and go and stop and go"
I had a budget of around 5lacs and the only option available was the i10 AT. (Santro AT has been discontinued now.
I read about the autoclutch sometime back and did some research.
I planned to try both the options - the autoclutch and the i10AT on the same day so i could compare better.
on the 18th of Oct, I tried the autoclutch at Bhasin motors. The guy had fitted it onto his SX4 which has a hydraulic clutch (I was looking at this as an option for my Ford Ikon flair.) I found the system to be pretty nice. I had 2 apprehensions - 1. what if I brake suddenly? since this was a steeper motor, how long would it take to de-clutch so that the engine doesn't die while sudden braking? 2. how would it perform in a stop and go scenario?
the system worked fine in both simulations.
there were only 2 cons - 1. the engine revved a bit in the lower gears (but the same was adjusted immediately by the guy with a knob. I guess as I'd drive more, i would know what settings to use in different conditions. 2. this system is fit for use only for self-driven cars. the reason being that most of us are habituated to pressing the clutch while shifting gears or braking. Now, in case of a hydraulic clutch, if the de-clutching by the motor and pedal pressing by the foot happens at the same time, there is a chance of more hydraulic fluid getting actuated and the pipes getting burst. To counter any such occurrence, there is an override switch beneath the clutch pedal.
I drove the car for a while and was pretty satisfied.

Now i went to try out the i10AT at Deep Hyundai. I found the car a li'l boring. (sorry)
the pick up was definitely too less and with the AC on, it died down. The drive was smooth nonetheless and the suspension was pretty nice.

Now was the decision making time.
I was looking for a car for about 2 years. Plus since I am the only 'driver' in my family, keeping 2 cars was out of the question. So, if i bought an i10, the ikon would have to go. I checked for the value of my car, Ikon, Sep 2003, clocked 54k, the best quote i got was 1.25 lacs. The i 10 was coming out to be aroung 4.65 lacs. plus after 2 years, the price degenration of my ikon would be 40-45k while that of an i10AT would be around 1lac. On the fuel efficiency front, both options were almost the same.
The autoclutch was for 40K (for dry clutch cars, it is 30K) - 1 year warranty + could be used on another car in the future.
So after much deliberation, I decided on getting the autoclutch installed.

I've ordered for the part and would be getting it installed in another week.
would keep you guyz posted.

in the meanwhile, has anyone installed CNG on Ford Ikon 1.3? all posts i've read speak about "people say..." or "I've heard..." could you give me ( or direct me to ) a user review?
varun.kap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2008, 17:54   #22
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

> on the 18th of Oct, I tried the autoclutch at Bhasin motors. The guy had
> fitted it onto his SX4 which has a hydraulic clutch (I was looking at this as > an option for my Ford Ikon flair.) I found the system to be pretty nice. I

I assume that the Ikon Flair also has a hydraulic clutch.

I have only one question. When the autoclutch is on and you actuate it, does the regular clutch pedal go down / up as the case may be?

> The autoclutch was for 40K (for dry clutch cars, it is 30K) - 1 year
> warranty + could be used on another car in the future.
> So after much deliberation, I decided on getting the autoclutch installed.

Congratulations. I spent Rs 26 thousand in 2003 for my Indica DLE. The price varation then quoted was only 1000 more for the one for hydraulic clutch. The Indica has a cable one. The prices have definitely gone up.

If it is the following, you can talk to Mr Himanshu Chitnis. He is the main distributor. The following is sourced from Overdrive Nov 2006. But I have talked to him way back.

AUTO-mate India
10, Aasawari
21, Bhosale Nagar
Pune - 7
Tel & Fax : (020) 25538084
Mobile : (0) 98221 11642
Email : himanshuchitnis@yahoo.com

> I've ordered for the part and would be getting it installed in another week.
> would keep you guyz posted.

Please do.

The one fitted to my Indica is presently doing duty in an Alto.
Old 28th October 2008, 13:05   #23

I had read your post earlier trrk. so I deliberately observed the clutch pedal. It did not go down. I also asked Vinod Bhasin if he had observed the same in cable clutches (esp. an indica). he said although he had fitted many cable clutches with this device, he had not observed this thing. He was supposed to check and get back to me but I dint follow up (since I dint have a cable clutch ) I found the guy pretty straight forward and not verbose. So I dint enquire much.

I had called up the auto-mate guy a week before. He had quoted 26K for cable clutch cars and 36K for hydraulic clutches... so i dint mind paying 4K more since this was being brought to delhi and fitted.

Would need tips to maintain this system from you. lookin forward.

Happy Diwali
Old 29th October 2008, 11:08   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varun.kap View Post

Quote:
I had a budget of around 5lacs and the only option available was the i10 AT. (Santro AT has been discontinued now.
Hi Varun,

Santro AT is still very much available, though the lead time to delivery is around 25 days, one of my friend has booked it and will get it by Mid Nov.
The onroad price of the same is around 4.23 L Delhi. (Metallic Paint) you can get insurance free.

Quote:
So after much deliberation, I decided on getting the autoclutch installed.
Congrats on your purchase. hope it satisfies your requirements to the fullest.

quote=varun.kap;1031001]
I had read your post earlier trrk. so I deliberately observed the clutch pedal. It did not go down. I also asked Vinod Bhasin if he had observed the same in cable clutches (esp. an indica). he said although he had fitted many cable clutches with this device, he had not observed this thing. He was supposed to check and get back to me but I dint follow up (since I dint have a cable clutch ) I found the guy pretty straight forward and not verbose. So I dint enquire much.
The clutch in my car - Santro used to go down when the button was pressed. Though it varies on the cars, the one I checked with on a Palio as a test drive before I bought the system too didn't had clutch going down. Mr Vinod is a very nice guy and a good gentleman, it could be that he may not be aware of this.

quote=varun.kap;1031001]
Would need tips to maintain this system from you. lookin forward.
[/quote]

There is not much you can do with the system unless you are trained on that (you need a multimeter to work on the Integrated Circuit and need to understand the box under the hood - having rotor to maintain it), however be prepared for regular trips to service center.

As I said earlier, its a good product when it works and the failure rates are very high with the staff incompetent in diagnosing and correcting the issues.

Enjoy clutchfree driving.
Old 30th January 2009, 11:40   #25

hii

I have read all your thread, I have came across with a guy from Gujarat who is himself a polio infected has developed a complete Indian device which can convert your car into auto clutch system. one of my brother in Ahemadabad having challenge with his left leg is using it perfectly as the product is completely Indian service ans support is not an issue .....
I m talking as per my feed back from the person who is using ....... once again that device I m talking about have no connection with any Pune guy.
Old 30th January 2009, 16:30   #26
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
one of my brother in Ahemadabad having challenge with his left leg is using it perfectly as the product is completely Indian service ans support is not an issue .....
Could you give some technical details and photographs if possible?

Last edited by trrk : 30th January 2009 at 16:31.
Old 2nd February 2009, 11:50   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi,

Could you give some technical details and photographs if possible?
mail at edcrajesh@gmail.com

I think it can help you get more information on this
Old 2nd February 2009, 12:59   #28
Senior - BHPian

Hi Sigma,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
mail at edcrajesh@gmail.com
I think it can help you get more information on this
Thanks. I will assume that this email address is of the person who makes this device.
Old 2nd February 2009, 14:08   #29
BHPian

OT: Few weeks back I came across the show "The Used Car show" in it there was one clipping which showed one can get manual car converted to Auto for just under Rs 30K ? I was sure it was not autoclutch they didn't mention where exactly it is done. (I tried searching the forums but no luck:( ) can anyone who has knowledge please enlighten us.
Old 2nd February 2009, 15:49   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERRO View Post
OT: Few weeks back I came across the show "The Used Car show" in it there was one clipping which showed one can get manual car converted to Auto for just under Rs 30K ? I was sure it was not autoclutch they didn't mention where exactly it is done. (I tried searching the forums but no luck:( ) can anyone who has knowledge please enlighten us.
It could be auto-clutch or a device made by Mr Ferdinand Rodricks in Mumbai. Though auto-clutch is very smooth and noiseless and is the best choice (however very high failure rates)...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks