Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2010, 11:46   #46
Senior - BHPian

yup, this is not the one I had in my car. there was one set of clutch cable installed next to the clutch pedal cable which used to do the job. There was no pulley etc inside the car.

Who is the installer and what is the company whose name is on the processing unit ?
Old 19th April 2010, 11:20   #47

It is City Clutch

Dear friends,
The product pics uploaded above is City Clutch manufactured by Gujarat People in India. City Clutch is totally different product from Auto-mate what Pune People use to sell.

The pics above from the Chennai dealer called Mobility Aides services. He normally don't tell anybody that he is sourcing from Gujarat.

for more details you can go to the link Convert Your Car to a Semi-Automatic Car

for brochures download you can go to the link
Welcome to Facebook

The device is very much far and technically better compare to Auto-mate technology. The device even work is the engine is switched off.

Along with the blog, the main site of the product is City Clutch: Automatic Clutch Pedal Control System.
Attached Thumbnails
Autoclutch Review-city-clutch-1.jpg  

Autoclutch Review-dsc00342.jpg  

Autoclutch Review-cclutch04x.jpg  

Sigma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2010, 11:33   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi,
Just to keep track of information, what is the price for this setup? This is not the 'Automate' which I had tested and used.
My friend said it costed about Rs35000+. It was developed by a guy at chennai.

Edit: Just saw sigma's post. I was told it was from a chennai based guy only, let me re-check again on the source. In fact, the pic of the processor (that i have posted) also says 'Mobility aides' only.

Last edited by ikoneer : 19th April 2010 at 11:37.
Old 22nd April 2010, 17:20   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikoneer View Post

Edit: Just saw sigma's post. I was told it was from a chennai based guy only, let me re-check again on the source. In fact, the pic of the processor (that i have posted) also says 'Mobility aides' only.
My Dear friend,

if still you have doubt I can post some more pics of the original device. You can see the chennai guy has just pasted a sticker on the original equipment, to hide the original CITY CLUTCH Name

The cost is Rs.35000/- all across India. I also know Mr Padmanabhan of Mobility Aids sometimes charges more than that Just bcoz of lack of awareness about this product.
Attached Thumbnails
Autoclutch Review-cc84.jpg  

Autoclutch Review-deep-switch-kit.jpg  

Sigma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2010, 18:26   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikoneer View Post

Dear friend,

IF there is any doubt Let me post the pic of the original Device. how smartly Chennai guy has pasted a sticker on the original name.

I can post more pics if u want
Attached Thumbnails
Autoclutch Review-cc84.jpg  

Old 2nd May 2010, 13:14   #51
BHPian

Hi Folks,

I see that one gentleman had serious reliability problems with Automate, but how about long term ownership reports of 'city clutch' ?

Is this dependable? GTO your take on this please?

Thanks.
Yamaha.
Old 8th May 2010, 18:14   #52
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha100 View Post
GTO your take on this please?
My take : If you want an automatic, buy a real Automatic. Used Santro ATs, the brand new i10 AT etc. are fantastic cars for urban use.
Old 8th May 2010, 20:10   #53
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
My take : If you want an automatic, buy a real Automatic. Used Santro ATs, the brand new i10 AT etc. are fantastic cars for urban use.
Agree fully. It is not a substitute for an automatic gearbox. When it works, it does give you a lot more ease of driving with hardly any strain for your left leg.

My Automate clutch, last known, was doing duty in an Alto in Bangalore.
Old 15th July 2010, 09:56   #54
BHPian

Have seen it fitted in a brand new Chevy Beat. Also had a chance to test drive it. Perfect for one's who are new to clutch. I am not sure but according to the mech it also helps maintain FE with proper clutch used by system.

Not my cup of tea but liked the way reverse gear behaved.
Old 15th July 2010, 10:51   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
I can post more pics if u want
Sigma, on one of the links posted by you it is mentioned that:
"In a heavy traffic congestion scenario, keep your car in first gear and use the brakes, the car will move smoothly as you release the brakes.With city clutch you can control the car in first gear with brakes only. No need to accelerate clutch no need to push accelerator pedal"

I would like to know how city clutch does automatic clutching/declutching operation (based on what input) to provide a smooth drive using only the brake pedal in highly congested traffic conditions? Does total declutching happen when brake is pressed?
Old 15th July 2010, 11:31   #56
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadabhi View Post
Have seen it fitted in a brand new Chevy Beat.
Not my cup of tea but liked the way reverse gear behaved.
Well, it apparently does well in petrol cars. What about the reverse gear?

Does the clutch go up and down when the switch is used?

Now since you say you have driven it, did you take it to a highway? Does pressing the brake pedal immediately disengage the clutch or it dies only when it reaches idle rpm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
I would like to know how city clutch does automatic clutching/declutching operation (based on what input) to provide a smooth drive using only the brake pedal in highly congested traffic conditions? Does total declutching happen when brake is pressed?
Sorry, the answer is a bit long.

I can tell you my experience with it in my old Indica. In the Indica the clutch used to go up and down when the auto clutch was used. This was in contrast to the demo Zen where the clutch never moved up or down.

The clutch engagement is controlled by two things, the RPM and a switch connected to the pedal. Theoretically it takes input about the RPM when the brake pedal is pressed and disengages when idling RPM is sensed. In the Indica's case where I have tried it at 80kph and the moment the brake is pressed the clutch used to engage and this was the primary reason that I took it out as this behaviour was not satisfactory.

Now in bumper to bumper to traffic situations, you press the brake and the clutch is engaged. When you release the brake, the clutch is engaged (can be adhusted) to a point where the clutch takes hold and like an automatic, it crawls. As long as you do not press the accelerator, this works like this. When you press the accelerator and with the RPM increase, the clutch is gradually and fully disengaged.

With the brake on you can stop the car in any gear. The problem is that you may forget to shift it to first and hence stall the car.

This was the first Indica (diesel) fitment and neither the dealer nor me had the time to test it out properly, not that it would have made any difference.

But believe me, all I did with the demo Zen was drive it in the town and that was akin to an automatic except that you shift the gears yourself. Again in the Zen, if you press the clutch with your foot that also will disengage and engage when released and I did that couple of times and there was no problem. In the Indica that would not happen when the auto clutch was on.

Last edited by trrk : 15th July 2010 at 11:33.
Old 15th July 2010, 12:05   #57
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the long detailed post trrk!
The system looks like a bit complicated in its logic, it would be real scary to have an auto declutching while braking especially from high speeds. Hope the new models doesn't do that!!
Old 15th July 2010, 12:54   #58
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Thanks for the long detailed post trrk!
The system looks like a bit complicated in its logic, it would be real scary to have an auto declutching while braking especially from high speeds. Hope the new models doesn't do that!!
Since I don't have any personal experience with the high speed braking except in my Indica, I really can't comment on it.

The clutch in Indica diesel is different in its actuation (sorry forgot the technical name) in that there is no play when you press on it, but you can lift the clutch up from its default position. Maybe this difference is what was giving the problem.

The nearest dealer was in Coimbatore and so could not easily check it later. The dealer himself was a little indiffferent.

But if it works as it should, it was a good system as it does not actually take away the original system and works in parallel.

I hope it is still working in the Alto!
trrk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2010, 22:39   #59
Senior - BHPian

I really felt sorry for you , thank for a post which is worth a million now.

In India in the mid segment and in the below mid segment we have very less models comes with automatic transmission
Old 14th March 2011, 17:53   #60
BHPian

Re: Autoclutch Review

I think this is the most unsafest accessory you can have on your car. I thought of getting it installed it in my diesel Zen back in 2007(diesel Zen clutch is too hard), but one look at it tells it all. It is so unprofessionally made/assembled, you can't really depend on it. Moreover, it is a bit better for petrol than diesels because the actuating motor has to take lot more load than in petrol and so is more prone to failures.

When I was researching on it for installation, I tried all the number's given in its magazine ad(including some other state numbers), and not a single number responded. This was an indication of the pathetic state. Finally I saw it on a 800 and decided not to go for it.

Imagine you are waiting at a signal, kept the button pressed and the fuse blows.

No alternative for a stock automatic car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks