Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2009, 13:18   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
It could be auto-clutch or a device made by Mr Ferdinand Rodricks in Mumbai. Though auto-clutch is very smooth and noiseless and is the best choice (however very high failure rates)...
Have you got any details of Mr.Ferdinand if yes I would like know what product he got. Thanks in advance
Old 5th February 2009, 14:15   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERRO View Post
Have you got any details of Mr.Ferdinand if yes I would like know what product he got. Thanks in advance
Checkout his site, here, he fits a hand controlled clutch on petrol vehicles.. Though it is not as smooth as Autoclutch, but is better choice than Autoclutch thingy.

If you want his cell number, let me know I can give it to you (in case its not on the site)
Old 29th May 2009, 22:25   #33
Senior - BHPian

I saw this Autoclutch on an A-Star. The guy who installed the Gaskit in my car is the Autoclutch dealer in Goa. The A-Star had the gear knob with a touch sensor. As soon as you grip the gear knob (touch the sensor), the clutch gets activated. There's a switch to switch the system off and revert to manual. The owner of the car had used the unit in a Wagon R for 3 years and then had it shifted to the A-Star. It cost's almost 10K to shift as a lot of wiring needs to be replaced. The owner was quite happy with the unit and also with the service.
pedrolourenco is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2009, 16:25   #34
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
It cost's almost 10K to shift as a lot of wiring needs to be replaced. The owner was quite happy with the unit and also with the service.
I am surprised at the cost of shifting. Why should it need a lot of wiring change? All the input it takes is for RPM and a connection to the brake other than a power connection to its control module.

Of course the gear lever is changed to this unit. When I had it, it was not the sensor model, but one with a push button on the side which had to be pressed for the clutch activation (apart from the on off switch).

The demo Zen was nice to drive with it. But I was not happy with it my diesel Indica. That same system is doing duty on an Alto in Bangalore when last heard.

So I think it is happy in Maruti vehicles (especially petrol).
Old 30th May 2009, 16:37   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
I am surprised at the cost of shifting. Why should it need a lot of wiring change? All the input it takes is for RPM and a connection to the brake other than a power connection to its control module.
Even I was surprised. Possible the wires were damaged in use or while removing the unit.
Old 30th May 2009, 17:28   #36
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Even I was surprised. Possible the wires were damaged in use or while removing the unit.
Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of the unit. There are hardly any wires to get damaged also.
Old 1st June 2009, 11:54   #37
Senior - BHPian

10k is too costly to replace in other car. I dont think it should cost anything more than 1k. (that too labour charge)

Hope the servicing is not an issue in Goa, cos in Delhi, its big pain, two dealers doing it and both not capable of handling it + the support from the product importer (from Pune) adds nail to the coffin
Old 1st June 2009, 12:26   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
10k is too costly to replace in other car. I dont think it should cost anything more than 1k. (that too labour charge)
Hope the servicing is not an issue in Goa, cos in Delhi, its big pain, two dealers doing it and both not capable of handling it + the support from the product importer (from Pune) adds nail to the coffin
I'll check with the dealer, the next time I visit. This was what the mechanic said about the A-Star he was working on. I'll check with the garage owner.
Old 2nd June 2009, 12:43   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'll check with the dealer, the next time I visit. This was what the mechanic said about the A-Star he was working on. I'll check with the garage owner.
Yeah, please be careful and make an informed choice if you plan to purchase this.

I have burnt by hands with this.

As said by many other BHPians here, any aftermarket modification to core components of the car will not be successful.
Old 2nd June 2009, 18:39   #40
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
I have burnt by hands with this.
If you have already posted about the problems could you point to the thread / post?

If you haven't, could you give some details. For the nine months I used I never had any problems per se. Then during a radiator change, the service people disconnected the wire going into the alternator for RPM sensing. I never got it reconnected or used it until I sold the car minus the unit.
Old 3rd June 2009, 10:16   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you have already posted about the problems could you point to the thread / post?
Hi trrk, I think I had started this thread on my ownership and review of this product. If you can see post number 1 you will see the ordeal I faced with the reliability of this product as I was quite dependent on this.

Last edited by tanwaramit : 3rd June 2009 at 10:19.
Old 3rd June 2009, 12:37   #42
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Hi trrk, I think I had started this thread on my ownership and review of this product. If you can see post number 1 you will see the ordeal I faced with the reliability of this product as I was quite dependent on this.
Laziness and age! Sorry! Before putting that request, I wanted to check the thread. Lack of time then and laziness, I put up that request.

Sorry again.

I went through the thread. I never had any issue with it while it was working in the car.

Last edited by trrk : 3rd June 2009 at 12:49.
Old 3rd June 2009, 13:08   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Laziness and age! Sorry! Before putting that request, I wanted to check the thread. Lack of time then and laziness, I put up that request.

Sorry again.

I went through the thread. I never had any issue with it while it was working in the car.
no probs Rajesh, could be that this product was very moody and it didnt wanted to surprise you. I had checked with two more people and find this to be not a reliable solution, but as a temporary arrangement only.

I have read your thread on Honda CVT and read it on updates regularly, an amazing FE you are getting with 100% AC, this would be making our brothers with i10 AT furious for sure

Last edited by tanwaramit : 3rd June 2009 at 13:10.
Old 11th April 2010, 18:41   #44
BHPian

My friend has installed the auto clutch in his wagon-r. It was actually super cool and very user friendly. just went for a spin with him and did not find any real difference. He has just installed it and was very happy with it. He was actually thinking of moving to an AT car but this auto clutch has solved his purpose and saved big time on mileage.

Press the red button to change gears. On pressing the red button, the clutch is engaged by the system. Moment you move release the red button, the clutch is also released. You also have a switch to choose between the normal and auto clutch.

Red Button, setup on the gear knob
Autoclutch Review-auto-clutch1.jpg

The clutch is engaged.
Autoclutch Review-auto-clutch3.jpg

The clutch is released. You can tell the difference by the pulley chain between the two pics.
Autoclutch Review-auto-clutch2.jpg

The processor that does the job.
Autoclutch Review-autclutch4.jpg
ikoneer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2010, 19:23   #45
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikoneer View Post
Press the red button to change gears. On pressing the red button, the clutch is engaged by the system. Moment you move release the red button, the clutch is also released. You also have a switch to choose between the normal and auto clutch.
Just to keep track of information, what is the price for this setup? This is not the 'Automate' which I had tested and used.
trrk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks