Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2011, 00:14   #2101
BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Well it can be done but its a little time consuming process and it requires a theif of a very high skill level.

The thing that irritates me the most in any cars has cropped in my civic that is Rattles
When i hear decent bass songs with volume of 15 or so there is rattling from insides of door panels, showed it to my local mechanic he pointed a finger at power window switches which have very very very minor play in them, but I dont think so thats the major reason for the door rattles, can someone tell me as to what can be anymore issues ?

The audio system is stock.
Old 17th July 2011, 00:45   #2102
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel View Post
When i hear decent bass songs with volume of 15 or so there is rattling from insides of door panels, showed it to my local mechanic he pointed a finger at power window switches which have very very very minor play in them, but I dont think so thats the major reason for the door rattles, can someone tell me as to what can be anymore issues ?
Have you tried damping the front doors with a sound dampening material like Dynamat? I used to notice the same thing till dampening was done with Dynamat Extreme, after which door rattles vanished mostly. The driver side power window switch assembly did have some residual rattles, which was eliminated by taking out the whole thing and putting it back!

Last edited by dot : 17th July 2011 at 00:48.
Old 17th July 2011, 01:41   #2103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When i hear decent bass songs with volume of 15 or so there is rattling from insides of door panels
Another place to check. Look behind the door opener lever. In the scooped out portion, there's a small plastic which covers a screw. This plastic piece tends to get loose. Play music at high volumes, and the press the piece to see if the sounds reduces. If it's the culprit, use some black tape
Old 17th July 2011, 08:56   #2104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neel View Post
have been having an issue with my civic since the last few days, there is a shrudder when i reverse the car in the morning as if the gear does not engage properly. It only happens in the mornings. I also hear some suspension noise when on bad roads. i checked the front lower arms and one of them appears to be weak. Not sure if the two issues are related. The car has just done 24K on the odo and mostly city driven (no harsh driving)
Neel
The right side Engine mount was the problem. Replaced it (Rs. 8K incl of tax and labor) and appears the the issue is fixed.

I was surprised the engine mounts could go bad in less than 24K km with normal city driving. The Service guys were NOT surprised though!!!
Old 17th July 2011, 09:42   #2105
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I was surprised the engine mounts could go bad in less than 24K km with normal city driving. The Service guys were NOT surprised though!!!
Great to know that the issue was diagnosed properly and attended to; at least your car is back to normal. The mount problem is not surprising at all, I think majority of Civics in this forum has had their mounts changed.
Old 17th July 2011, 09:46   #2106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot

Have you tried damping the front doors with a sound dampening material like Dynamat? I used to notice the same thing till dampening was done with Dynamat Extreme, after which door rattles vanished mostly. The driver side power window switch assembly did have some residual rattles, which was eliminated by taking out the whole thing and putting it back!
I remember telling my wife that the Civic is like a vault. I dont think its very easy for anyone to drive away with this car. Though it may not be impossible.
I am sure Honda would have used a decently high end system with a floating code which would take longer to crack.
Now these are all what i believe in my head. I may be right or completely wrong here. But whats important is. If you are confident up in your head thay security is not an issue, you are less likely to attract any security breach. So all my fellow civicans, once more.
The Civic is like a VAULT! atleast thats the way i look at it.

As dot mentioned he has installed dynamat in his civic. And when i drove Scorpo there were no rattles whatsoever.

Dot : i like the new Avatar senior saab.
Old 17th July 2011, 11:15   #2107
BHPian

@dot
no damping has been done only the stocke felt damping that comes is present.
how much did it cost you to damp the front doors with dyanmat extreme ?
also if we remove and put back the power window switches then how rattles will go ?

@shuvc that tiny plastic cover i broke it by mistake so no point of rattles.
Old 17th July 2011, 21:35   #2108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel
@dot
no damping has been done only the stocke felt damping that comes is present.
also if we remove and put back the power window switches then how rattles will go ?

@shuvc that tiny plastic cover i broke it by mistake so no point of rattles.
I think what dot meant is that the power window switches could be a bit loose. And removing them and refitting them tight and flush would stop their rattling.
Old 18th July 2011, 10:38   #2109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well it can be done but its a little time consuming process and it requires a theif of a very high skill level.

The thing that irritates me the most in any cars has cropped in my civic that is Rattles

The audio system is stock.
I generally used to get rattles from the dash. I mentioned this to the SA when doing the AC service and they generally fixed it. With any audio system, there are always certain resonances. I also get the panels vibrating a bit on certain bass heavy songs. I also get the same with my room windows at home, even though they are tightly fitted.

Quote:
The right side Engine mount was the problem. Replaced it (Rs. 8K incl of tax and labor) and appears the the issue is fixed.

I have gone through 3 engine mounts in 25k km. It is a weakness of our civic. That and engine auto idler pulley (also 3 times) .
Old 18th July 2011, 13:51   #2110
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Two grand for both the front doors including labour. They covered most of the inside face of the outer frame and strategic places of the middle frame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108 View Post
It is a weakness of our civic. That and engine auto idler pulley (also 3 times) .
Would like to know what are the symptoms of a bad auto idler pulley. Does it give a squeaky noise?
Old 18th July 2011, 13:59   #2111
BHPian

I replaced the remote key battery : Panasonic CR1616 from the Honda service center: Part cost is RS.380.

Also changed two tyres to apollo acelere stock size for Rs.10200 from Popular tyres, Trivandrum. This includes wheel balancing and alignment.

~Manoj
Old 18th July 2011, 14:04   #2112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Would like to know what are the symptoms of a bad auto idler pulley. Does it give a squeaky noise?
You will hear slight increased noise from the engine first. Then, as it gets worse it makes a noise like you are shaking a can full of ball bearings. This can take a few days or happen suddenly if you are unlucky.

In the even worst case scenario it becomes so bad, it actually locks and dislocates. Then the next thing is your main belt gets sheared off. No alternator, no power steering, no AC. It happened to me and car had to be towed.

I know the noise by now and my ear is sort of tuned to alert me if it happens. The first time they used non-standard bolt, so it happened second time. That created a problem with the mount and happened third time. Lucky all three were under warranty but the belt went the last time and they refused warranty for it saying it was rubber.
sandeep108 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2011, 14:29   #2113
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108 View Post
That created a problem with the mount and happened third time.
Can you elaborate what kind of problem it created on the pulley mount. Was there any play by the usage of a non-standard bolt? Has the play gone now?
Old 18th July 2011, 14:38   #2114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Can you elaborate what kind of problem it created on the pulley mount. Was there any play by the usage of a non-standard bolt? Has the play gone now?
Yes, that created play and resulted in the pulley failure. This was not realised and when replaced with normal bolt in usual manner, it again happened third time. The third time I was informed they had taken care of it, I do not remember the details. So far (touch wood) there is no problem.
sandeep108 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2011, 15:05   #2115
BHPian

I was called by Capital Honda last week to give my civic for the 4th service. When I asked the lady about the reasons for doing a 4th service within 3 months & 1000 km of the 3rd service, I got a very unconvincing reply that quality checks had to be done on the car. When I mentioned the fact that the manual recommends servicing in 6 month intervals, she said that the 'policy' was that the car should be seen by the dealership four times an year.

I decided to give the car for servicing for a lark - just to see what would happen. I inquired with the SA too as to the reason for doing a 3 month service but , again, got a canned response. The 4th service cost my 993 rupees and the invoice mentions that this is only for labour. There also doesn't seem to be any difference in the car handling/appearance etc.

To sum up, the 993 bucks got me a free water wash & some poor interior cleaning.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks