Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2008, 18:33   #1
Senior - BHPian

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Honda has touched the 3 lakh vehicle sales figure, and they celebrated that by introducing the Civic sports.

Many BHPians including me own a Honda Civic, and the only thread which talks about maintenance and service for the Civic which I came across was http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...t-service.html

I would like to start a topic here so that all Civic BHPians could benefit. I have just completed the 20K Km in my Civic and would be going in for a 20K service.

My previous service details.

1st Free Service (1000kms) - Free. No oil change, wash and regular checkup.
2nd Free Service (5000Kms)- Free, 200RS charged for windscreen washer fluid, which I disagreed - a sonax 25ml stuff is available for 69.
3rd Free Service (10K Kms) - Oil and filter change - around 900Rs.
4th Paid Service (15K Kms) - Rs3800. Service costs - 810, Wheel alignment - 450, Wheel balancing 500, Balancing weights around 500 (I wonder why!!) Opted for a oil and filter change too - 750. Some consumables worth 300 and 12.36% taxes!!

Rs4700/- till 15K. Isn't that amazing and good to own?

5th Paid service (20K Km) Due next week. Planned is an oil change and Wheel balancing/Alignment.

Last edited by laluks : 24th October 2008 at 18:46.
laluks is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th October 2008, 18:56   #2
Senior - BHPian

Don't bother with getting the Wheel Alignment & Balancing done at the showroom. Good tyre shops do it much better & both tasks including weights can easily be done for around Rs. 500.
Old 24th October 2008, 20:54   #3
Senior - BHPian

Yup get the alignment and balancing done outside.
I'm going with oil changes every 5k kms.personal option as i have done this on every car i have and they have all lasted very very well(touch wood).

So is it worth getting fully synthetic oil?
By the way is the interior cleaning complimentary.I got it last time at the first service.
When the car came in it had grease marks on the door as well as the seats.so i asked them to give the car a good cleanup.
other thing that bothered me was that there were minor scratches on the front fenders.The place where they put those covers.inspite of the covers it had scratches.

i was really unhappy with that and displayed my dismay at the quality of service and they then put around 4 guys at the cleaning up and polishing of the car.
Was a good experience.
Old 24th October 2008, 21:51   #4
Senior - BHPian

The figures are quite impressive and very very reasonable. In fact, it adds impetus to my appetite to own one very soon.
Old 24th October 2008, 22:18   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
My previous service details.

1)
1st Free Service
(1000kms) - Free. No oil change, wash and regular checkup.

2)
3rd Free Service
(10K Kms) - Oil and filter change - around 900Rs.

1) Does this mean that you have not changed oil first time at 1000Kms ? IMHO,after the first 1000kms, the oil must be changed, so that the waste from engine ( mainly metallic ) developed during running in can be flushed.

2) First oil change at 10K kms ? Do Honda Civic use Synthetic oil ?

Overall the cost of ownership is less that expected.
Old 24th October 2008, 23:41   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
1) Does this mean that you have not changed oil first time at 1000Kms ? IMHO,after the first 1000kms, the oil must be changed, so that the waste from engine ( mainly metallic ) developed during running in can be flushed.

2) First oil change at 10K kms ? Do Honda Civic use Synthetic oil ?

Overall the cost of ownership is less that expected.
Even I expected a change of oil in the first service. According to Honda it was not required.

I dont think they used synthetic oil. But the oil change is every 10K km or months. Costs around 600 for the 4+ litres of oil.

Cost of ownership is wonderful. That is the main reason why I wanted to share this here. Normally me too expected the upkeep will cost a bomb, but this is a pleasant surprise.

>The figures are quite impressive and very very reasonable. In fact, it adds impetus to my appetite to own one very soon.

Do get one soon. Welcome to the club.

Last edited by laluks : 24th October 2008 at 23:44.
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2008, 00:21   #7
Senior - BHPian

Fully agree. The cost of ownership is very less with the Civic. I've usually give the car for service every 3 months or so and the cost is very less. From around 550 to 1000/-.

Will be giving it for the 20K service sometime in November.

Laluks let me know how much it cost and what was done. Which dealer do you go to?
Old 25th October 2008, 01:00   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Even I expected a change of oil in the first service. According to Honda it was not required.

I dont think they used synthetic oil. But the oil change is every 10K km or months. Costs around 600 for the 4+ litres of oil.

Cost of ownership is wonderful. That is the main reason why I wanted to share this here. Normally me too expected the upkeep will cost a bomb, but this is a pleasant surprise.

>The figures are quite impressive and very very reasonable. In fact, it adds impetus to my appetite to own one very soon.

Do get one soon. Welcome to the club.
600 for 4 liters = Not even semi synthetic oil !!its pure mineral oil as even castrol magnatec is 1000 bucks for 3.5 liter.
Strange for honda to not change it at 1000 km 1st service and also even stranger to have a 10000 km oil change interval for this kind of oil.
Old 25th October 2008, 02:19   #9
Senior - BHPian

They use the same mineral oil for the NHC, but there the change is once every 5K kms.
Old 25th October 2008, 10:28   #10
Senior - BHPian

According to Honda Maintenance Schedule, engine oil has to be replaced every 6 months or 10K km whichever is earlier. This is the minimum requirement. You can do more than that!!
Old 26th October 2008, 20:01   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post
Fully agree. The cost of ownership is very less with the Civic. I've usually give the car for service every 3 months or so and the cost is very less. From around 550 to 1000/-.

Will be giving it for the 20K service sometime in November.

Laluks let me know how much it cost and what was done. Which dealer do you go to?

I will. I go to Dakshin Honda. Mixed impressions till now
Old 27th October 2008, 20:08   #12
BANNED

I am not impressed with mandatory 3 months service cycles. Why does a petrol engine need that frequent service. I guess its 1 year for Altis, and many other petrol cars.
Old 27th October 2008, 20:15   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swageo View Post
I am not impressed with mandatory 3 months service cycles. Why does a petrol engine need that frequent service. I guess its 1 year for Altis, and many other petrol cars.
Any day a regular service helps, and around 500 to 1000 buck to upkeep its really not a pain at all. The question is after all this service whats the cost of keeping a civic. That's absolutely nothing. This car demands only a premium when you buy, then its absolutely delightful looking at its maintenance costs.

My old esteem costed more than this to keep.
Old 28th October 2008, 16:13   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swageo View Post
I too had my initial reservations on the same issue. However if someone is going to check my brakes, oil, fix small creaks and niggles and wash my car for Rs. 550/- then I'm happy. Minimum for a car wash in Bangalore is Rs. 250 - 350/- . If I've to spend just 550 for a car once in 3 months for a car that is /was worth 13 lakhs, I reasoned that that's a pretty minuscule amount.
Old 28th October 2008, 21:39   #15
Senior - BHPian

Just a question - my Civic will go for it's first service on the 30th. Should I force an engine oil+filter change?

Most Viewed