Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2009, 20:50   #91
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
My Civic V-AT used to give around 7 hm/l but as kms have mounted it has now nudged to about 8 km/l in the city with AC on always and about at least 2 hrs idle time per tankfull.
I do not bother to check the mileage really - if you go for civic/AT, no point really. But yes, as the kms mount I do feel it has increased
Old 22nd February 2009, 20:55   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
Quick question. I have signed up for the Yearly Maintenance plan at the Honda dealership and have specifically mentioned them to use Synthetic Oil on the next service for my Civic. How can I find out, if they really changed the oil to synthetic?
I am surprised they have agreed. AFAIK, Honda will not allow their dealers to use anything other than their specified Honda mineral oil.

It is actually better to use mineral oil with frequent changes than use synthetic with longer interval oil changes. I have used both in my other cars and except for initial slight effect, does not really seem to matter much, since today's mineral oils have become even better than the old ones which were SC/SF classification.

I believe Honda's mineral oil is classified as SL. If I am wrong, please correct.
Old 22nd February 2009, 21:59   #93
Senior - BHPian

Hmm, the Honda dealer here has a specific entry in their accessories list for synthetic oil. It's Honda branded and you can ask them to fill it if you need it. If it's on their CRM system, surely it's Honda approved?
Old 22nd February 2009, 22:13   #94
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
Hmm, the Honda dealer here has a specific entry in their accessories list for synthetic oil. It's Honda branded and you can ask them to fill it if you need it. If it's on their CRM system, surely it's Honda approved?
Honda has started giving the option of sythetic oil - their own branded product. It is 3 times the mineral oil cost and oil change interval is 10000kms instead of the regular 5000kms interval.

It is available for City also.
Old 23rd February 2009, 10:59   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi,

Honda has started giving the option of sythetic oil - their own branded product. It is 3 times the mineral oil cost and oil change interval is 10000kms instead of the regular 5000kms interval.

It is available for City also.
Good to know. But for the civic in any case oil change is 6 months/10k km. So it translates to 3x the cost for perhaps 1.1x benefit? For regular city, yes since cost becomes only 1.5x.
Old 23rd February 2009, 11:09   #96
Senior - BHPian

Well, the benefits are not just a longer change interval. There's a big debate thread about it.
Old 23rd February 2009, 11:28   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepanonline View Post
Any info on FE for a MT civic?
I have been getting ~9.5 kmpl in city and ~15 kmpl in highway (both with AC).
Old 23rd February 2009, 13:44   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108 View Post
I do not bother to check the mileage really - if you go for civic/AT, no point really. But yes, as the kms mount I do feel it has increased
The Indian idea that AT is poor in mileage is wrong, Modern automatics like Civic can beat a manual.
My Civic-AT gives me 16 kmpl if hypermiled . (max speed of 70 kmph, etc). Under normal highway driving the worst I get is 12 kmpl.
Aggressive driving gives me only 8.5 kmpl.
Old 23rd February 2009, 14:55   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
The Indian idea that AT is poor in mileage is wrong, Modern automatics like Civic can beat a manual.
My Civic-AT gives me 16 kmpl if hypermiled . (max speed of 70 kmph, etc). Under normal highway driving the worst I get is 12 kmpl.
Aggressive driving gives me only 8.5 kmpl.
Maybe, but a slush box is a slush box and there are going to be torque converter losses. The modern auto boxes like civic, etc. do reduce the difference however to about 10-15%, unlike earlier autos where difference could be as high as 20-30%.

The Civic AT does seem to enjoy 68-72 kmph - at this speed the engine is barely ticking over at 1500 rpm or so and it is as if the torque converter is simply helping the momentum along, especially without AC. So you would get very good FE at these speeds. But the manual civic would give you 18-19 kmpl under those conditions.

Also the modern ATs do have a lot of engine braking built in as well. The civic AT does not simply go into top gear or neutral if let up on the acc. pedal.

Last edited by sandeep108 : 23rd February 2009 at 14:56.
Old 23rd February 2009, 15:00   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, the benefits are not just a longer change interval. There's a big debate thread about it.
That is true, I know. But it is still debated. Do a google search, there are lots of forums / threads on synthetic vs. mineral. But nothing conclusive in my view. Theoretically synthetic is supposed to be better than mineral, but practically?
Old 23rd February 2009, 15:18   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepanonline View Post
Any info on FE for a MT civic?
I consistently get 9-9.5 in the City (in peak hour traffic) and 14-15 on the highway, in one trip I got 16.72 average
Old 23rd February 2009, 17:29   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indivic View Post
I consistently get 9-9.5 in the City (in peak hour traffic) and 14-15 on the highway, in one trip I got 16.72 average
That's about quite fine and why the civic has become so popular.
Old 23rd February 2009, 19:20   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108 View Post
Maybe, but a slush box is a slush box and there are going to be torque converter losses. The modern auto boxes like civic, etc. do reduce the difference however to about 10-15%, unlike earlier autos where difference could be as high as 20-30%.

The Civic AT does seem to enjoy 68-72 kmph - at this speed the engine is barely ticking over at 1500 rpm or so and it is as if the torque converter is simply helping the momentum along, especially without AC. So you would get very good FE at these speeds. But the manual civic would give you 18-19 kmpl under those conditions.
Civic A/T has a torque converter lockup clutch, which once engaged, removes the slushbox losses entirely. At highway cruising speeds, it gives you the same mileage as an M/T.
Old 23rd February 2009, 20:48   #104
BHPian

kmph Vs engine speed

Quote:
Civic A/T has a torque converter lockup clutch, which once engaged, removes the slushbox losses entirely. At highway cruising speeds, it gives you the same mileage as an M/T.
Yes, at steady highway speeds it becomes a same as a MT.
Actually AT is better since the gearing is very tall compared to a MT for the Civic. (Source from old Overdrive mag).
At 74 kmph, engine speed is only 1,500 rpm in fifth gear. Can anyone with an MT please confirm the engine speed at the same speed in fifth gear?
Old 24th February 2009, 11:46   #105
Senior - BHPian

Of course, the problem is that none of our highways allow us continual cruising. I'm guessing A/T Civics will see mileages above 15KMPL only on GQ runs or something. Anyway, I'm not too concerned right now - I've been trying out the paddles on our car after so many months and the feeling is electric.

Most Viewed