Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2009, 09:39   #196
Senior - BHPian

Well thats what Dakshin Honda told me. I had a biker attack at the rear.
I now use one of our stickers - it does the job wonderfully to cover the damage
Old 1st June 2009, 22:50   #197
BANNED

Brake is not like what it used to be after changing disks & brake pads, what could be the problem ?
Old 1st June 2009, 22:57   #198
Senior - BHPian

Let them seat

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown View Post
Brake is not like what it used to be after changing disks & brake pads, what could be the problem ?
There is no problem. New discs (rotors) and pads have to seat and settle down. Run for about 200 Km and things should be ok.

Cheers,
Old 2nd June 2009, 10:25   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
There is no problem. New discs (rotors) and pads have to seat and settle down. Run for about 200 Km and things should be ok.

Cheers,
And also be gentle on the new brakes for at least 300-500 km.
Old 2nd June 2009, 10:41   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
I buy regularly from LAL enterprises. They have three to four shops around GP road.
You mean Whites road, dont you ?
Old 2nd June 2009, 13:37   #201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indivic View Post
You mean Whites road, dont you ?
Yes, the person is called Gautam, a nice guy.
Old 21st June 2009, 14:33   #202
Senior - BHPian

does anybody know where I can do a skimming job on my discs in Bangalore?. Dakshin Honda guys told me if I am very particular, change pads(according to them the pads will last another 10K) and discs. I am ok with changing pads, not discs.

Front discs seems to be scoring with the pads, not very much. But I am not at ease :(

Last edited by laluks : 21st June 2009 at 14:36.
Old 29th June 2009, 10:13   #203
Senior - BHPian

I had my biggest scare of my life yesterday. I had to brake slightly hard from 70KPH. And I ended up nearly rear-ending an Indigo which had better braking than me. My pedal went straight to the floor and there was no change of braking from 50% pedal to max pedal and no ABS chatter either.

I've been putting off getting the brakes bled until the next service and it almost cost me a front end. I'm off to the A.S.S now.
Old 29th June 2009, 10:48   #204
BHPian

Civic brakes failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
I've been putting off getting the brakes bled until the next service and it almost cost me a front end. I'm off to the A.S.S now.
What is brakes 'bled'?

I had thought that Civic brakes were one of the best in the business, with disc brakes all around. So now I am frightened! . Could you please elaborate more this brake failure ?
Old 6th July 2009, 11:41   #205
Senior - BHPian

Bleeding the brakes is removing air from the lines. This removes the spongy pedal feel and loss of some power assist. It feels slightly better now, but definitely not as crisp as before. My fourth service is coming up on Wednesday. I'll get the issue raised again to a different service advisor.
Old 6th July 2009, 20:04   #206
Senior - BHPian

I have a 2006 model Civic-AT 1.8S which has been driven 27000 kms so far.

For last few months (only 2k driven in last 6 months because of my new Swift-VDi), I started noticing some humming sound coming from my car when I drive it. Last week, I thought of getting rid of it. I switched off the ignition when the car was in motion to confirm if the noise is there even if the engine was off and yes, it was there.

Then got the tyres rotated and the sound increased significantly.

Yesterday, visited Pearl Honda, Gurgaon to get it checked. The SA had a road test and acknowledged the noise. After checking, he told me that tyres are the culprit (irregular bumps on the sides, “Gaddhe Par gaye hai”) and if I get all 4 tyres replaced problem will vanish. I asked him why the problem has come may be its bearings or shock absorbers are faulty that’s why the tyres (with almost 50% tread left) worn out un-evenly. He said that everything else is fine.

Today, I visited the tyre expert (Star Wheels), and Mr. Deepak told me that if I replace the tyres, problem will go but very soon the new tyres will also have same problem unless I get the faulty bearings/shock absorbers replaced. He introduced me to another Civic owner who had come for exact same problem.

I have extended warranty upto 2010, maybe this is the reason that HASS is reluctant to change the parts.

Has someone else on Team-BHP faced similar problem? If yes, what was the reason and what remedy was done?

About my tyres, I have Bridgestone B250 OEM tyres and the spare tyre is still unused. 3 of them have 50% tread and one has 30%.

Any suggestion guys what should I do?
Old 7th July 2009, 09:53   #207
Senior - BHPian

That sound is because of bearings, I'm certain. Ask them to find and replace the faulty wheel bearing. Uneven tread wear could be because of bad alignment, which could've shot the bearings. I'm speculating here though.

If the A.S.S refuses to acknowledge the problem, try a different one.
Old 8th July 2009, 09:48   #208
Senior - BHPian

Went to another A.S.S. (Ring Road Honda, Sec-18, Gurgaon). Found somebody I knew from senior management. He instructed his staff to get all things checked thoroughly.

They lifted the car, checked the bearings by rotating the tyres and said they are OK. They also visually inspected the shockers for leakage and bend and told me that they are also OK as there is no machine to check the shockers and this is the only method to check the shockers.

They also got the alignment checked and that was also ok well within range.

Then they got the vehicle history by calling their Peera Garhi branch and found out that as per records, in the last 27k, the tyre rotation has never been done. I also don't remember if it was done or not. They told me that this was the reason for those irregular bumps of tyres. Well, is it possible ?

I asked them what if I get the tyres changed and they also get these bumps in 2 months? They assured me that every other thing in the car is fine. I asked them to give it writing so that I can sue them if my new tyres are damaged which they mentioned on the invoice "Shocker and all bearings found ok".

Friendly suggestion from the alignment person, that don't get the tyres changed. There is enough life in them for another 15k kms. Front tyres are Ok, rear tyres have more bumps that too inner side of tyres, get the rear tyres inside out and it will be better becasue inner side of tyres bears most of the car weight.

Just for the trial got it done outside A.S.S. and it improved quite a bit.

So question guys, can tyres have uneven bumps if we dont get them rotated? Any other suggestion about the tyres?

Thanks.
Old 8th July 2009, 10:53   #209
Senior - BHPian

Suspicious bumps

I am not really certain, but to my mind not rotating tyres should not cause bumps.

Bumps IMHO, occour only if the tyre(s) are defective, the suspension is defective or, the car is used regularly on bad roads.

There is certainly something fishy.

Cheers,
Old 8th July 2009, 11:04   #210
Senior - BHPian

Is it possible that under/over inflation could also be a cause, besides the non-rotation? If the balancing is out, and cannot be done due to this, it would be advisable to change the tires as otherwise you risk the bearings and shocks with these 'lumpy' tires.

I remember using lumpy/hard tires for a couple of months required rear shocks change in one of my cars. I am suspecting the same currently with my '05 Swift ZXI.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks