Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2009, 16:54   #301
Senior - BHPian

They will discourage you from doing so. But if you have a friend in the service advisor, it can be done.
Old 21st November 2009, 01:14   #302
BANNED

During my 10k service, I changed to synthetic oil. Its now 12.8k, and 3 months over, due for next service.

Wouldn't it void the warranty if don't do it. ? I don't remember service book talking about this 3 month period.

Personally I am not convinced that I need to visit that place every 3 months.

Looks like it is 1yr for Altis..
Old 21st November 2009, 11:50   #303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swageo View Post
Personally I am not convinced that I need to visit that place every 3 months.
That was what I originally thought. But:
At the minimum they do a complete wash with compressed-air, pressure-water, shampoo, etc. Under dirty Indian conditions it might be worth it.
They also check the level of all fluids and top-up if necessary.

I had snapped some photos of the honda-approved cleaning rules which I will post soon.
Old 21st November 2009, 11:55   #304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post

Recent FE: 892 kms, 54 lts, 16.5 kmpl.
Long-term-FE: 8,269 kms, 592 lts, 14.0 kmpl.
Very-long-term-FE: 50,822 kms, 4,418 lts, 11.5 kmpl.
16.5 KM/L

How do you drive my friend and where?? I struggle to get a XX Figure FE out of my car. 16.5 is outstanding.
Old 21st November 2009, 12:08   #305
Senior - BHPian

Civic owners, How do you find the brakes on this Car?? I am having a tough time with them. Recently got the brake pads changed front and Rear and the Disc Turned during my Last 20000KM service and now at 24500, I feel they are completely gone. There is hardly any braking feel left.

I shall be taking up this issue during my next service which is due in another 500KMs. Anybody else feeling the same??
Old 21st November 2009, 15:59   #306
Senior - BHPian

Well, you know my troubles with the brakes. I've been scared witless twice when I pressed hard and got no braking. But nowadays the problem has changed to a complete lack of feel with lots of braking coming in suddenly at a certain point of pedal travel.
Old 21st November 2009, 18:00   #307
Senior - BHPian

I am nearing my first 1000 kms in few days.. and now, I need to decide which servicing center to opt for... I stay in Noida, but bought the car from Delhi (Courtesy Honda).. Courtesy's servicing center is in Oklha Industrial area which is a very traffic plagued area, though its around 10-12 kms from my place.. The nearest service center is Ace Honda, at sector 11, Noida and its not that crowded even.. Which one of these two would be better?

Also, what are the things that are performed/looked upon on 1st service? Any cost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4ugr8 View Post
16.5 KM/L

How do you drive my friend and where?? I struggle to get a XX Figure FE out of my car. 16.5 is outstanding.
I thought my average of 13-14 kmpl is good, but 16.5 kmpl is phenomenal! Yeah, how do you drive?? Sorry for those who went in for a Civic Hybrid ..LOL
Old 21st November 2009, 18:14   #308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
But nowadays the problem has changed to a complete lack of feel with lots of braking coming in suddenly at a certain point of pedal travel.
There is a needle valve in the brake booster chamber which needs adjusting. As far as I know its a sealed unit so replacement of the complete brake booster assembly is the only option. I hope you have tried out other mundane things like brkae bleeding.
Old 21st November 2009, 18:16   #309
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
I've been scared witless twice when I pressed hard and got no braking. But nowadays the problem has changed to a complete lack of feel with lots of braking coming in suddenly at a certain point of pedal travel.
Booster problem or leak in the vacuum circuit?
Old 22nd November 2009, 11:32   #310
BHPian

Great FE!

Here are some things I do to get around 15+ kmpl in my Civic-AT:

(I used to drive aggressively with my previous car OHC 1.5 and always got around 11 kmpl. When I bought my Civic-AT I was initially getting around only 8.5 kmpl on highways. I was terrified and decided to challenge myself to achieve the highest possible FE. I was also getting older and more matured!. I Read a lot on hypermiling on the net. I was also worried about some accidents that had happened in my family and decided to stop aggressive driving once and for all).

So here goes:

1) I use the car mostly (99%) on highways. (Not every one can practically do this!).

2) I try to hold a steady speed within 67 to 74 kmph.
The AT maintains 5th gear at these speeds.
(My wife and children fight with me to go faster, but I don't ).
Even buses and lorries overtake me! But then I enjoy the stress-free, safe and quite drive.

3) I try to avoid using the brakes as much as I can. (This needs a lot of anticipation and forward planning).

4) I minimize AC usage - when I travel with my family I use the ACC, but when alone I keep the lowest possible manual setting).

5) I keep tyre pressures at 33 psi. I regularly check them and use a foot-pump. (Maybe I can go higher for better FE, but I do not want to sacrifice comfort).

6) When I know a speed-breaker is going to come, I sometimes shift the gear-selector to 'N', so the car 'coasts' to it. (Cars following me may get angry with me for this! ).

7) When there is a fly-over, I try to reach its base at the correct speed so that the car climbs it at 'N' (engine just idling) and go down using gravity! (But this can be done only when there is sparse traffic).

Some more notes:
Since my place is a small town, I can get on the highway within around 4 kms, whereas in big cities you need to go through a lot of traffic and signals wasting fuel.

I go for very long drives without stopping (400 kms) twice a month. Since I avoid short starting and stopping, the engine always runs at its peak efficiency giving better FE.

I always self-drive and do not have a driver.

I think the Civic at rock-steady-speeds uses a lot of advanced engineering to maximize FE.

Finally the most important is motivation!
I keep challenging myself to break my previous FE records.
I maintain meticulous records in a spread-sheet of all my fuellings. (I always fill full-tank).

Here are some more statistics:
In the first year:
kms run: 23,567
petrol consumed:2,243 lts
Kmpl: 10.5 (bad!)

Second year:
kms run: 18,537
petrol consumed: 1,536
Kmpl: 12.0 (good!)

Now I want to push myself to achieve 14+ kmpl in the third year.

(Though I get 16+ on short-term basis, on a long-term (yearly) basis, I might get only 14+).
manim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2009, 11:43   #311
BHPian

Honda's Cleaning

Here are the photos I snapped during my 50K service.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-1.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-2.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-3.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-4.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-5.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-6.jpg  

Old 22nd November 2009, 11:44   #312
BHPian

Quote:
Here are some things I do to get around 15+ kmpl in my Civic-AT:

(I used to drive aggressively with my previous car OHC 1.5 and always got around 11 kmpl. When I bought my Civic-AT I was initially getting around only 8.5 kmpl on highways. I was terrified and decided to challenge myself to achieve the highest possible FE. I was also getting older and more matured!. I Read a lot on hypermiling on the net. I was also worried about some accidents that had happened in my family and decided to stop aggressive driving once and for all).

So here goes:

1) I use the car mostly (99%) on highways. (Not every one can practically do this!).

2) I try to hold a steady speed within 67 to 74 kmph.
The AT maintains 5th gear at these speeds.
(My wife and children fight with me to go faster, but I don't ).
Even buses and lorries overtake me! But then I enjoy the stress-free, safe and quite drive.

3) I try to avoid using the brakes as much as I can. (This needs a lot of anticipation and forward planning).

4) I minimize AC usage - when I travel with my family I use the ACC, but when alone I keep the lowest possible manual setting).

5) I keep tyre pressures at 33 psi. I regularly check them and use a foot-pump. (Maybe I can go higher for better FE, but I do not want to sacrifice comfort).

6) When I know a speed-breaker is going to come, I sometimes shift the gear-selector to 'N', so the car 'coasts' to it. (Cars following me may get angry with me for this! ).

7) When there is a fly-over, I try to reach its base at the correct speed so that the car climbs it at 'N' (engine just idling) and go down using gravity! (But this can be done only when there is sparse traffic).

Some more notes:
Since my place is a small town, I can get on the highway within around 4 kms, whereas in big cities you need to go through a lot of traffic and signals wasting fuel.

I go for very long drives without stopping (400 kms) twice a month. Since I avoid short starting and stopping, the engine always runs at its peak efficiency giving better FE.

I always self-drive and do not have a driver.

I think the Civic at rock-steady-speeds uses a lot of advanced engineering to maximize FE.

Finally the most important is motivation!
I keep challenging myself to break my previous FE records.
I maintain meticulous records in a spread-sheet of all my fuellings. (I always fill full-tank).

Here are some more statistics:
In the first year:
kms run: 23,567
petrol consumed:2,243 lts
Kmpl: 10.5 (bad!)

Second year:
kms run: 18,537
petrol consumed: 1,536
Kmpl: 12.0 (good!)

Now I want to push myself to achieve 14+ kmpl in the third year.

(Though I get 16+ on short-term basis, on a long-term (yearly) basis, I might get only 14+).
Just a note, driving with the car in neutral is considered dangerous driving, because you have much less control of the car. Considering the ridiculous lengths you go to in order to maximize mileage, I think you should have just bought a bicycle instead of a Honda Civic.
Old 22nd November 2009, 13:50   #313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here are the photos I snapped during my 50K service.
That's an exhaustive list of things carried out on the car. But, my question is do the service personnel carry out all of these religiously. If the answer is in the affirmative then I am sure makes sense to pay a visit once in three months.
Old 22nd November 2009, 20:14   #314
BHPian

High FE

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEnd View Post
Just a note, driving with the car in neutral is considered dangerous driving, because you have much less control of the car. Considering the ridiculous lengths you go to in order to maximize mileage, I think you should have just bought a bicycle instead of a Honda Civic.
I forgot these points earlier:

When I am on a long distance drive on the highway and want to take a loo-break, I time it correctly and switch off the engines in 'N', and without using brakes coast to a stop on the side of the road. So I cover a few hundred meters completely free of fuel!
(note: The brakes and steering lose their hydraulic-power with the engine switched off ).

I have recently lost 10 kilos weight and dieting to lose at-least 5 kgs more.
What motivates me when it is tough to lose one's weight?
The answer: The thought that my car will give better FE due to the decreased load it has to carry! .
manim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2009, 20:26   #315
BHPian

Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
That's an exhaustive list of things carried out on the car. But, my question is do the service personnel carry out all of these religiously. If the answer is in the affirmative then I am sure makes sense to pay a visit once in three months.
I agree that the actual job is NOT that detailed.
However they do a fairly good job.
I stood near my car when the whole job was done and it was a pleasure to watch some four or five trained guys working efficiently.
The cleaning process alone may have taken around one-and-a-half hours.

And the cost of this is already built into the minimum amount Honda makes you pay for the routine-service.

Most Viewed