Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2009, 12:02   #361
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108 View Post
That is one of the reasons I preferred the civic over the corolla. Corolla feels unstable over 80-100 kmph, civic feels very planted. In fact I was doing 130 kmph on a highway and one of the rear passenger happened to look at the speedo after a few minutes. He remarked: You are doing 130? I though we were going at 80.

Many of my friends say, remove that 1 from the left in the Odo
Old 8th December 2009, 13:09   #362
Senior - BHPian

First on the AT brakes. I changed the front ones after 23K. The back ones are fine. 90% of my driving is on highways and a lot on the GQ with higher speeds. I actually started getting a funny noise when the brakes got heated up. Cost me around 11K I think. I did post it in one of these threads.

Yeah the max a Civic will do is 205-210 kmph. I think ST7677 did 200 kmph+ on the NICE corridor on his MT. I've also seen videos in youtube of stock Civic AT hitting 205 kmph.

High speeds in the Civic is not very obvious to the passengers. I've consistenly hit 140 - 160 on the Krishnagiri - Thoppur stretch with no one being obvious of the fact!! I've tried to do that kind of speed on the Verna, Fiesta and the Elantra. No way do I get the confidence nor is the vehicle stable enough at those speeds.

Unfortunately, though the Civic braking is good, it does not have any life. No play most of the time. Its like either on or off! After every service it works well for sometime and then it sort of disappears!! Its slightly more obvious in the AT
Old 8th December 2009, 13:36   #363
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108 View Post
The older civics do not have paddle shift in D mode, but there is reasonable engine braking even in D mode (unlike the old corolla AT - no idea about the new Altis AT - which would simply coast if you let off on the gas pedal). In fact the grade logic control also worked quite well recently on a ghat stretch, I felt no need to use the paddle shifts. It all requires just a bit more anticipation.
Unless you're breaching the max / min limits that should not be accompanied with a gear change, the car will permit you to paddle down shift even in D mode. This is from my use of an older civic (pre 09 facelift).

The difference of course is that as the speed changes going forward, the automatic will continue to select gear on its own and will not force you to continue using paddle like it does in S just because you've used the paddle shift. Even in S mode of course, even if you're using the paddle shifters, the car downshifts on its own if the speed reduces sufficiently.
Old 8th December 2009, 17:01   #364
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
You could be right.
I maxxed out on 197 at the fifth gear. I did not want to downshift then
RPM I did not check, my eyes were firmly on the road

So then the info I read with a limit on 205 could be true.
How do you guys drive to get to that speed? foot on steriods!

Max till now I was able to rip from my new Civic (MT) is 160 kmph

Last edited by iTNerd : 8th December 2009 at 17:03.
Old 8th December 2009, 20:10   #365
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
The CVT box is different - there is no torque converter shenanigans.
What is that got to do with brake life?
Old 8th December 2009, 20:15   #366
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
How do you guys drive to get to that speed? foot on steriods!

Max till now I was able to rip from my new Civic (MT) is 160 kmph
May be you wanna watch this but be careful, this run was not in controlled conditions.

Old 8th December 2009, 21:37   #367
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Unless you're breaching the max / min limits that should not be accompanied with a gear change, the car will permit you to paddle down shift even in D mode. This is from my use of an older civic (pre 09 facelift).
No it won't. My 08 car will not do so. Either you got a different ECU software revision or you're dreaming.

Do you want me to take a video for proof? :P

As for high speed stability, yes, I've experienced it as well. My dad, who is very adamant about staying below 70, had a big "Oh crap!" moment when he looked at the speedo when we were doing 150 on the GQ. He said "I thought we were doing 70!". The max I've reached on my car is 185 or so. I had around ~500kg of crap in the car at that time (the driver, me, included ), so it took a while and I ran out of road before it stopped accelerating.

Good car. *pats his Civic*

Last edited by ImmortalZ : 8th December 2009 at 21:40.
Old 8th December 2009, 21:53   #368
Senior - BHPian

Paddle shift does NOT work in "D" mode even in my car which is Civic-AT 2006.
Old 8th December 2009, 22:18   #369
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
Good car. *pats his Civic*
Me too *pats my civic*
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2009, 23:36   #370
Senior - BHPian

By the way, there is a rather cheap $50 ECU software edit that enables the paddles in D mode like the facelift Civic. The only problem is sending the ECU off to Malaysia to get it done - that'll cost a lot in shipping. Maybe if someone local offered it...
Old 9th December 2009, 00:19   #371
Senior - BHPian

My Civic Hit 209 Km/Hr, with three people on board and the big ICE in the boot. The car was looking good to go further until somebody came in the way.

I did this after installing my CF hood to test whether the hood was fitted properly and would not fly off

Last edited by Aditya : 14th March 2018 at 17:58. Reason: Image depicting high speed driving deleted
Old 9th December 2009, 00:21   #372
Senior - BHPian

And i thought I have done some dangerous drive!! So it seems 200kmph is pretty normal for a civic owner
Old 9th December 2009, 01:00   #373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4ugr8 View Post
My Civic Hit 209 Km/Hr, with three people on board and the big ICE in the boot. The car was looking good to go further until somebody came in the way.Attached a pic snapped at 205 Km/Hr.

I did this after installing my CF hood to test whether the hood was fitted properly and would not fly off
Your civic is one of the best modded civic I have come across on Indian roads.
Old 9th December 2009, 09:24   #374
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys,
I feel so envious after reading such super speeds - my civic bought on 25th Nov has only done 272 kms. I dont get much time and do not get the Civic to my work place as there is no proper place to park. I get my other car a City 2004 model to work and still regularly cry in the evening when I see some or the other new mark on my baby.
+1 to all though, I am also completely in love with my civic. She is so smooth and powerful. Currently only gone upto 3k rpm, waiting for the 1000kms to get completed.
Regards
Old 9th December 2009, 12:20   #375
BHPian

me too!

All of you posting their top speed makes me too do it!
181 kmph is all I could achieve in my AT which has done 52K kms so far.

At 173 kmph the gear changes from 3rd to 4th at 6,700 rpm. (The MT has shorter gear-ratios making it easier to do more top-speed).

However I never want to try breaking my top speed record again for reasons of safety (and anyway it is illegal to do such speeds!).
Maybe someday on some very good roads w/o traffic I can try to touch 200+ kmph...
(So that I can brag to my grand-children in the future! ).

Last edited by manim : 9th December 2009 at 12:21.

Most Viewed