Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2009, 23:12   #331
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
I forgot these points earlier:

When I am on a long distance drive on the highway and want to take a loo-break, I time it correctly and switch off the engines in 'N', and without using brakes coast to a stop on the side of the road. So I cover a few hundred meters completely free of fuel!
(note: The brakes and steering lose their hydraulic-power with the engine switched off ).

I have recently lost 10 kilos weight and dieting to lose at-least 5 kgs more.
What motivates me when it is tough to lose one's weight?
The answer: The thought that my car will give better FE due to the decreased load it has to carry! .
Interesting! Do you still carry your spare tyre in the boot? How about removing back seat and passenger seat when you are alone in the car? They save a lot more on laden weight than a leaner you can.

Put full-cover flat wheel caps on both sides of the wheels, smoothen the airflow below the car by putting some air deflector, replace current tyres with narrower treads, blocking the front grills to prevent air turbulence.. ..you can do many such things. I had tried a lot of these while abroad.

You can also park the car nearer to the highway so that your driving ratio becomes 100% on highways. You can cycle up to the car and it help to reduce weight as well!

Good luck...

Last edited by vasoo : 28th November 2009 at 23:15.
Old 29th November 2009, 12:02   #332
BHPian

Hypermiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
Interesting!

1) Do you still carry your spare tyre in the boot? How about removing back seat and passenger seat when you are alone in the car? They save a lot more on laden weight than a leaner you can.

2) Put full-cover flat wheel caps on both sides of the wheels, smoothen the airflow below the car by putting some air deflector, replace current tyres with narrower treads, blocking the front grills to prevent air turbulence.. ..you can do many such things. I had tried a lot of these while abroad.

3) You can also park the car nearer to the highway so that your driving ratio becomes 100% on highways. You can cycle up to the car and it help to reduce weight as well!

Good luck...
The car will NOT be a Stock-Honda-Civic based on your points 1 & 2, so I cannot permit myself to do those! (My car is 100% Stock, with not even sun-film installed).
However point three is interesting, I may try it!

The fact remains that I have covered 52,000 kms in 2.5 years, meaning the car is used heavily for practical purposes, with real-world driving on bad Indian roads and yet I can still attain those great FE numbers .
Old 1st December 2009, 15:23   #333
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
Blast your dealer. This was supposed to be solved by a TSB from 2006. Ask him to look up the TSB for the tensioner, order the new part and replace it FOC. If you keep replacing it with the old part number, it will fail again and again.
The first dealer did replace it earlier (probably with the old part) and definitely with non-standard bolts. This was the cause of second time failure. The second time, the dealer did not bother to check the threading, but fitted standard original bolts, but by that time the threading was shot, so resulted in third failure. They have done it FOC and assured me they have redone the threading so it will not fail again, but made me pay for belt (saying it is rubber, not covered) cost = 4,500
Old 1st December 2009, 18:47   #334
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108 View Post
They have done it FOC and assured me they have redone the threading so it will not fail again, but made me pay for belt (saying it is rubber, not covered) cost = 4,500
With just this message alone Honda shoudl refund that money to you. But then I doubt they would!

Try.
Old 3rd December 2009, 14:01   #335
BHPian

Civic wheel rotation :

firstly, i hear today from Honda service that Honda has suggested to NOT use the spare wheel for rotation. i.e just use a "X" rotation without using the spare.
Rationale : the spare wheel should always be in good condition (whjich makes sense) but not totally.

Also, i hear that none of the new Honda vehicles being delivered come with a "Alloy" spare wheel. Is that correct?

-neel
Old 3rd December 2009, 14:14   #336
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neel View Post
Also, i hear that none of the new Honda vehicles being delivered come with a "Alloy" spare wheel. Is that correct?
-neel
You are correct. This was confirmed by our 'Civic' BHPians for the Civic (not sure of the other models though). The spare is a regular tyre but fixed on a steel rim. I confirmed this with one of the Honda dealers too.
Old 3rd December 2009, 14:22   #337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
firstly, i hear today from Honda service that Honda has suggested to NOT use the spare wheel for rotation. i.e just use a "X" rotation without using the spare.
Rationale : the spare wheel should always be in good condition (whjich makes sense) but not totally.

-neel
Another cost cutting measure. That is why the rotation now excludes the spare wheel. Where all 5 are alloys all 5 should be rotated, IMO.
Old 3rd December 2009, 15:14   #338
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also, i hear that none of the new Honda vehicles being delivered come with a "Alloy" spare wheel. Is that correct?-neel
Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
You are correct. This was confirmed by our 'Civic' BHPians for the Civic (not sure of the other models though). The spare is a regular tyre but fixed on a steel rim. I confirmed this with one of the Honda dealers too.
neel and rr_zen - I took delivery of my Civic on 2th Nov, regular tyre on a steel rim in the spare wheel, no alloy. Apex Honda said they discontinued it approx a year ago.Thats why they are saying no rotation of the spare, it would involve more work
Old 5th December 2009, 02:48   #339
BANNED

Got my 5th paid service done of civic at pearl Honda, gurgaon. Had completed 15k kilometres and paid approx Rs.5300.
For the past few months, i had a major issue with the brakes, at high speeds of like 100+, the entire car used to shudder and make a grinding noise.
Then the service advisor gave the discs for lathing/skimming, after this the problem has been solved, but he also said that its just a temporary solution and the problem might reoccur which would require the discs to be changed.
i want to ask that at just 15k, is there a requirement to change discs, i've never changed discs at even 40k in my previous car which was accent
Old 5th December 2009, 06:25   #340
BHPian

brake shuddering

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayer87 View Post
For the past few months, i had a major issue with the brakes, at high speeds of like 100+, the entire car used to shudder and make a grinding noise.
Then the service advisor gave the discs for lathing/skimming, after this the problem has been solved, but he also said that its just a temporary solution and the problem might reoccur which would require the discs to be changed.
i want to ask that at just 15k, is there a requirement to change discs, i've never changed discs at even 40k in my previous car which was accent
I had the same problem in my Civic-AT which might have started at around 20K kms.
The whole car will shudder like crazy when the brakes were applied at high speed.
I changed the front-disc's (and brake-pads) at 40K kms and the problem was solved.
I think it is Honda's manufacturing defect for the discs to fail so early.
(I had to spend Rs.5K for the new discs ).

Last edited by manim : 5th December 2009 at 06:28.
Old 5th December 2009, 11:13   #341
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
I had the same problem in my Civic-AT which might have started at around 20K kms.
The whole car will shudder like crazy when the brakes were applied at high speed.
I changed the front-disc's (and brake-pads) at 40K kms and the problem was solved.
I think it is Honda's manufacturing defect for the discs to fail so early.
(I had to spend Rs.5K for the new discs ).
I partly think the problem lies with the initial 50-100 km when the dealers' drivers drive the new car - they give a damn about being gentle on the brakes, which is essential for the first 300 km. Such abuse on new brakes would cause uneven heating/break-in and premature failure of the discs.
Old 5th December 2009, 12:38   #342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayer87 View Post
Got my 5th paid service done of civic at pearl Honda, gurgaon. Had completed 15k kilometres and paid approx Rs.5300.
I had exactly same problem which appeard at 31k. Went to Pearl Honda and service adviser and Front Office Manager (Mr. Bijender Malik) was so sure that he did not need to test drive the car. They were confident in telling me that brake discs (and maybe brake pads) need to be replaced and the problem will be solved.

I accepted and they changed the discs (pads were not required) and the problem solved. So my discs lasted for 31k. Whereas in my OHC 1.3, I did not need to change them even at 45k when I sold the car.

I had to pay Rs.4478/- for discs, Rs.700/- labor charges (negotiated, otherwise it was Rs.800/-) plus taxes which comes to Rs.5,250/-.

But I am happy with the service and attention provided.
Old 5th December 2009, 12:44   #343
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
I had exactly same problem which appeard at 31k. Went to Pearl Honda and service adviser and Front Office Manager (Mr. Bijender Malik) was so sure that he did not need to test drive the car. They were confident in telling me that brake discs (and maybe brake pads) need to be replaced and the problem will be solved.

I accepted and they changed the discs (pads were not required) and the problem solved. So my discs lasted for 31k. Whereas in my OHC 1.3, I did not need to change them even at 45k when I sold the car.

I had to pay Rs.4478/- for discs, Rs.700/- labor charges (negotiated, otherwise it was Rs.800/-) plus taxes which comes to Rs.5,250/-.

But I am happy with the service and attention provided.
I had the same problem but the problem came up on 20K Kms of usage only. My car brakers faded and the same Judder at high speed. I told them to have a look, service adviosr told me that your Disks are fine, need skimming and cleaning but the Front brake pads are gone. I told him to do the needful. He replaced the front pads.

Now at 25K KMs, the problem has come up again, this time its more violent. I guess my discs would need replacement this time, but discs going so soon is highly shocking. I agree that I do push my car hard but 25K KMs is nothing. I will put up this issue with the service centre this time I visit, lets see the reply I get.
Old 5th December 2009, 13:26   #344
BHPian

Hopefully, the disc brakes problem have not arised in my civic a/t till date. it has done 50K.
Though a friend of mine had the same problem and got the discs changed at 30k. The same friend's 5 series also got disc changed at 15k..... so i thought it might be his driving style...
Otherwise my newer civic m/t is just done 5k till now and hope it also wont get this trouble.
Old 5th December 2009, 14:49   #345
Senior - BHPian

Is this disc brake going kaput in early on, only limited to AT variant? I hope this had been rectified in the later lot of civics and the in new facelift!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks