Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2010, 14:27   #1111
Senior - BHPian

Looks like my cars horn is packing up, its not sounding right.

Any idea whether the Civic has twin horn or its a single horn?
Any idea how much it would set me back?

Another update is that my car is back 10 kpl figures in the city.
All I did was corrected the tire pressure and drove a lil sensibly.
Old 10th November 2010, 14:31   #1112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Looks like my cars horn is packing up, its not sounding right.
Can you describe this a little bit more please? Is it that you hit the horn boss and the horn doesn't engage? I find that happening occasionally with my Civic, so just wanted to cross-check if it's the same symptom you're seeing.

As of now the service advisor has "advised" a 'wait-and-watch' policy and said he'll arrange to get the horn assy. replaced under warranty during the 3rd free service if the problem persists.

Quote:
Another update is that my car is back 10 kpl figures in the city.
All I did was corrected the tire pressure and drove a lil sensibly.
Cool! It's the second part that's problematic, however .

Regards,
spadix
Old 10th November 2010, 14:33   #1113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
Can you describe this a little bit more please? Is it that you hit the horn boss and the horn doesn't engage?
Yes this has been happening to me since a month (6 months old car). Would like to know if and how it is addressed.
Thanks,
Old 10th November 2010, 14:39   #1114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alto99 View Post
Yes this has been happening to me since a month (6 months old car). Would like to know if and how it is addressed.
Thanks,
I've started seeing this after around 2 months of age (new car, mfd. July 2010, delivered 31st July). I brought it up during the 2nd free service (~5k kms/3 months; earlier this month) but they said they couldn't reproduce it.

Too early to say but is this affecting just the new models? I can find out from a colleague of mine who bought his new Civic (AT) last month.

I'll keep you posted if they decided to fix it during the 3rd FS. I don't plan to visit the service center before that as the problem isn't too serious for now.

Regards,
spadix
Old 10th November 2010, 21:57   #1115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can you describe this a little bit more please? Is it that you hit the horn boss and the horn doesn't engage? I find that happening occasionally with my Civic, so just wanted to cross-check if it's the same symptom you're seeing.
No, its not that problem. Its the tone of the horn thats wrong. It sounds a lot harsh and coarse. Looks like its reached the end of its life.

Quote:
Cool! It's the second part that's problematic, however .
Well thats always a problem as they say, a loose nut between the steering wheel and the seat!
Old 12th November 2010, 20:36   #1116
Senior - BHPian

My car got back last week. Quite an eventful stay at the service center.

There was some sort of leak at the point where the A pillar merged into the roof. This was pointed out to Honda during first service. The problem only occurred during the most intense of monsoon rains, so wasn't easily replicable. They refixed the door beading and closed the case. Fast forward to last month; I noticed the dampness again and to my horror, I saw the telltale colour of rust. I asked them to check it out when I gave the car for suspension work.

They stripped the area and said that there is a microscopic hole on the A pillar. It was sealed with sealant. But the leak persisted. They said it might be from between the windshield seal. They proceeded to reattach the windshield. And broke it in the process.

They obviously asked me to claim it on my insurance. I refused and told them to take care of it on their cost since they broke it during warranty work. The cost of the windshield is INR 8000. The cost of the V Kool on the broken screen was nearly 19k. My Dad, who normally fights these things tooth and nail, called them up and agreed to claim insurance. He told he's had enough of this country and asked me to get the car out of the A.S.S as soon as possible. They covered whatever wasn't covered by insurance for the windshield change.

So anyway, the total bill came to about 9.5K. This includes two stabilizer link rods at 2.2k each, two stabilizer bushes and two LCA bushes at about 350 each. The stereo needed about 2k of work to be fixed. The rest is labour and service tax. The routine service that was due was also completed. The wiper arm needed some adjusting because of excess streaking and noise. All the suspension noise is fixed. However, I'm noticing the obvious signs of the hydraulic engine mount on it's way out again. It's been only about 14k KMs and 8 months since it was first changed under warranty. The good news is that the mount is covered under extended warranty. So if it goes soon, I'm covered.

I'll be needing a new set of tyres soon. I'm thinking about Potenza G3s in stock size.

Last edited by ImmortalZ : 12th November 2010 at 20:38.
Old 12th November 2010, 20:48   #1117
Senior - BHPian

Horrible experience there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
However, I'm noticing the obvious signs of the hydraulic engine mount on it's way out again. It's been only about 14k KMs and 8 months since it was first changed under warranty. The good news is that the mount is covered under extended warranty. So if it goes soon, I'm covered.
I was told that Hydraulic Mounting is not covered under extended warranty. I had to pay for that. Please get it changed under extended warranty and PLEASE send me scanned copy of invoice. I am sure I will do something good with it.
Old 12th November 2010, 23:15   #1118
Senior - BHPian

Hard luck, ImmortalZ!

I empathize with your father. After the 1st FS I fought with Honda Service regarding their lack of attention to detail and registered a complaint on the Honda website. I got a few phone calls from all manner of people and they all assured a whole new world. During the 2nd FS the lack of attention to detail still rankled. But even twice is too much for me. I've kept quiet. A dog's tail can never be straightened.

Thankfully the car looks OK, but looking at the description of some of the issues you've faced (wiper sounds and some issue with engine mounting) has me worried because I can make out a slight vibration at idle. This started happening after the 1st FS. I'm sure this was caused by our brilliant roads. I reported this to Honda Service during the 2nd FS but they refused to even check it. I asked them about engine mounts and they just laughed off my concerns saying the car is only 3 months and 5k kms old. I'm not so sure.
Secondly, the wiper (don't know if it's just the motor or the blades or both) is making a lot more noise than I remember it making earlier. This is after the 2nd FS. Perhaps it's just my paranoia.

What can we do regarding this lackadaisical attitude of Honda showrooms/service?

Regards,
spadix
Old 16th November 2010, 10:57   #1119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My car got back last week. Quite an eventful stay at the service center.

So anyway, the total bill came to about 9.5K. This includes two stabilizer link rods at 2.2k each, two stabilizer bushes and two LCA bushes at about 350 each. The stereo needed about 2k of work to be fixed. The rest is labour and service tax. T
You weren't kidding when you said eventful.

Why'd you have to carry out suspension work so early? What was wrong with the stabilizer links that you had to get them replaced?

I am surprised to know they repair the stereo system. Here in Bombay they asked me to get in touch with a shop that deals/services Alpine.
They quoted an astronomical amount for a simple AUX-IN connection, anyways I digress.

Any difference in the ride after the suspension work?
Old 16th November 2010, 21:04   #1120
BHPian

My Civic recently had an extremely minor accident where the wing mirror was knocked off, but the part that holds the glass is still attached and works fine (motor for folding still works no problem).

Now I only need a new glass, but the Honda A.S.S. told me they don't sell only the glass part of the mirror, and that I will have to buy the full assembly, including the mirror holder.
Can anyone please confirm whether or not this is true, because it makes no sense paying for the whole assembly when I need only the mirror part.
Old 16th November 2010, 22:04   #1121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadanaJ View Post
My Civic recently had an extremely minor accident where the wing mirror was knocked off, but the part that holds the glass is still attached and works fine (motor for folding still works no problem).

Now I only need a new glass, but the Honda A.S.S. told me they don't sell only the glass part of the mirror, and that I will have to buy the full assembly, including the mirror holder.
Can anyone please confirm whether or not this is true, because it makes no sense paying for the whole assembly when I need only the mirror part.
Your A.S.S is wrong, I had the mirror alone replaced a few months back for Rs.565.

(You can check out my post earlier in this thread regarding my story of what happened).

Last edited by manim : 16th November 2010 at 22:07.
Old 16th November 2010, 22:07   #1122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
it makes no sense paying for the whole assembly when I need only the mirror part.
That is right it does not but this is also a fact that the Honda A.S.S. will only sell a complete assembly.

If you have the time and inclination you can source individual components from the Kurla 'vehicle parts' market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim
Your A.S.S is wrong, I had the mirror alone replaced a few months back for Rs.565.
If this replacement is at an A.S.S. then it is a very welcome development. In which case a scanned copy of your bill sent to kadana will ensure that his A.S.S. follow suit.

Last edited by khoj : 16th November 2010 at 22:11.
Old 20th November 2010, 01:34   #1123
BHPian

Problem solved, I went to Arya Honda near Worli instead today. Had only the glass replaced, total cost Rs. 700 including labour+taxes etc. So much easier to drive with the right hand mirror again, reduced visibility created problems.

Thanks anyways guys.
Old 20th November 2010, 12:07   #1124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You weren't kidding when you said eventful.

Why'd you have to carry out suspension work so early? What was wrong with the stabilizer links that you had to get them replaced?
An encounter with a disguised crater.

Quote:
I am surprised to know they repair the stereo system. Here in Bombay they asked me to get in touch with a shop that deals/services Alpine.
They quoted an astronomical amount for a simple AUX-IN connection, anyways I digress.

Any difference in the ride after the suspension work?
Go to 8thCivic and find the DIY guide for the AUX IN. It costs only around INR 100 in parts if you DIY.

The stereo was fixed by the Alpine A.S.S in TVM. My guess is that they added about 100% to the actual amount as profit.

Anyway, the suspension problem isn't fixed fully. The metallic noise is still there at medium speeds. The problem is that it isn't easily reproduced because it only happens when the suspension encounters a raised imperfection on the road. Craters are plentiful on the highways around the Honda A.S.S and on the back road they use as a suspension test, but those don't create the noise. Manholes and such which produce the sickening noise is absent. I will have to take their engineer on a long drive to make him hear it.

Quote:

As said by others, you can get the glass by itself for around INR 500 from the A.S.S. I think I detailed my experience doing that in this thread itself.
Old 21st November 2010, 22:37   #1125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
An encounter with a disguised crater.
Ah yes I remember that.

Quote:
Go to 8thCivic and find the DIY guide for the AUX IN. It costs only around INR 100 in parts if you DIY.
Yes, I did my AUX IN DIY, all it cost me was INR 75 for soldering iron and 2 hours of effort. It works like a charm.

Quote:
The stereo was fixed by the Alpine A.S.S in TVM. My guess is that they added about 100% to the actual amount as profit.
I concur, the Alpine A.S.S. in Bombay quoted me a whopping 3.5K for the AUX IN.
On another note, did Honda really stiffen the suspension of the Civic in the face lift? And would it fit the older Civics?
I will be visiting the H.A.S.S. this week to enquire.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks