Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2010, 13:59   #976
BANNED

No. I think Honda are extra conservative in any case. So the third service it is.
Old 3rd September 2010, 14:35   #977
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
No. I think Honda are extra conservative in any case. So the third service it is.
Or perhaps they like the Honda owners so much that they want us to visit the service station to say hi .

I am still waiting for the front right door sash, its been a month since my accident and I am yet to get it.
Old 3rd September 2010, 15:15   #978
BANNED

I agree hiren. When I went in for service in Gwalior (2nd service) the SA was sure that an oil change was due. I was equally sure it was not. We looked at the voucher - and I was right. In the afternoon when I was collecting the car the Service manager again asked - No oil change? The SA had to then inform his boss that since Honda have gone synthetic, the oil change is only at S3. At least they were consistent.

In my view S1 and S2 are more to say Hi! Listen to any gripes, hike the car up, tighten the nuts and bolts (if any need it), wash it and you are done. Also, at S1 try and sell whatever add ons (Nitrogen, Undersealing, Teflon, etc.) you can to the customer!
Old 3rd September 2010, 16:52   #979
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post

I'd love to hear more from you regarding the upgrades.
How much did the tires cost you? And how has your experience been on them? Primarily on the feedback from the tires and the steering feel.

How much did the bulbs cost? I am surprised you got a 9005 HB3 for the Civic. I could not find any when I was hunting bulbs for my car. :(

Many thanks,
Hiren
Experience with new tyres has been extremely good, especially since I had the worst possible OEM tyres originally! It is super silent and very comfortable, especially on highways. On city roads, braking is found to be much more confident-inspiring. They cost me 5.5k each. Steering feel and feedback is better than the OEM ones. If you have Good Year tyres, I highly recommend a change. I cannot comment on how good these will be in comparison to the OEM tyres from Bridgestone or Michelin.

Bulbs were ordered from ebay. It was shipped form HK and cost me about USD40 including shipping. It is actually HB4/9006 bulbs for low beam. I did not change the high beam bulbs which are decent enough for my usage. These bulbs are at least 30% brighter than the OEM ones.
Old 3rd September 2010, 17:21   #980
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I agree hiren. When I went in for service in Gwalior (2nd service) the SA was sure that an oil change was due. I was equally sure it was not. We looked at the voucher - and I was right. In the afternoon when I was collecting the car the Service manager again asked - No oil change? The SA had to then inform his boss that since Honda have gone synthetic, the oil change is only at S3. At least they were consistent.

In my view S1 and S2 are more to say Hi! Listen to any gripes, hike the car up, tighten the nuts and bolts (if any need it), wash it and you are done. Also, at S1 try and sell whatever add ons (Nitrogen, Undersealing, Teflon, etc.) you can to the customer!
Quite well put!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
Experience with new tyres has been extremely good, especially since I had the worst possible OEM tyres originally! It is super silent and very comfortable, especially on highways. On city roads, braking is found to be much more confident-inspiring. They cost me 5.5k each. Steering feel and feedback is better than the OEM ones. If you have Good Year tyres, I highly recommend a change. I cannot comment on how good these will be in comparison to the OEM tyres from Bridgestone or Michelin.

Bulbs were ordered from ebay. It was shipped form HK and cost me about USD40 including shipping. It is actually HB4/9006 bulbs for low beam. I did not change the high beam bulbs which are decent enough for my usage. These bulbs are at least 30% brighter than the OEM ones.
Yes, I do have Goodyear NCT5's on my car but I've stretched myself enough. But will surely be upgrading next year.

Oh yeah! Now I remember. We had a discussion earlier and you had mentioned about ordering these bulbs. Its great that there is a marked improvement in the beam quality, so you're getting your money's worth.
Old 3rd September 2010, 20:49   #981
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The cards are the old ones. Even the manual says the same, but with Synth they have doubled the intervals in time.
So, does Honda recommend synthetic oil for the very first oil change ? Mine has barely done 1800 kms in 5 months and is due for a service end of this month.
Old 19th September 2010, 02:27   #982
BHPian

I tried a used civic today. The clutch had a creaking or cut-cut-cut sound while pressing and more of it when releasing. 35K on the odo. I got a similar sound in another used civic. The clutch was on the harder side in general. This particular car was driven inside the city almost 100% in traffic conditions. Anyone has experienced this ? Any idea on what the problem could be ? I am sure I have to get it checked, just want to ensure i am not ripped off by the dealer.
Old 19th September 2010, 09:09   #983
BANNED

OT i belive honda has given my friend a comparison between civic and city spare parts and maintenance cost to show that their cost for civic and city are almost equal.

is it only sundaram honda or every one is doing that
Old 19th September 2010, 10:15   #984
Senior - BHPian

They should give a comparison between swift and Civic. Civic costs over twice as much to buy and less than half as much to maintain. Owning both cars, I can say that!

Clutch - none of the owners in tbhp have complained. I guess we have a band of 15 to 80K on ODO civic here. Probably the two cars which you saw would not have been driven appropriately. It shold be sub 20K for an overhaul, negotiate the same while buying.

Last edited by laluks : 19th September 2010 at 10:16.
Old 19th September 2010, 15:40   #985
Senior - BHPian

The clutch pedal on my new Civic started squeaking within 2 weeks of taking delivery. There was this very slight but clearly audible squeak when the clutch pedal was depressed (not when returning). I pointed this out and got it fixed in the 1st service. The problem hasn't returned since (~20 days and 700 kms on). Mileage and pick-up are satisfactory so I don't think there was any deeper problem.

Still, it would be a good idea to get the clutch checked on a used car that's been driven 100% in city traffic.

Regards,
spadix
Old 19th September 2010, 17:44   #986
BHPian

70K Service over

70K service over for my AT.
odo is at 69,722.
Car is 3 years and 4 months old.
Since some heavy driving coming up (will finish 5K in next two months) did my service a bit early.

Fitted new tyres 2 no.s MXV8, cost Rs.10,350 (in the rear, front has PLC).
Service cost was Rs.4,354 includes synthetic-oil, wheel-balancing and alignment.

A new windshield-washer-fluid is introduced by Honda for Rs.44.
It is to be mixed with water in the tank.
Poured one and kept one in reserve (Rains will come soon!).

FE for the last 1,720 kms is an amazing 16.4 kmpl (I am a hypermiler!).
Old 19th September 2010, 21:01   #987
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by idofsuresh View Post
I tried a used civic today. The clutch had a creaking or cut-cut-cut sound while pressing and more of it when releasing. 35K on the odo. I got a similar sound in another used civic. The clutch was on the harder side in general. This particular car was driven inside the city almost 100% in traffic conditions. Anyone has experienced this ? Any idea on what the problem could be ? I am sure I have to get it checked, just want to ensure i am not ripped off by the dealer.
Even in my Civic that has done around 20K KMS I get a very faint "tak" sound when I press the clutch pedal.

I don't think that has got anything with the clutch, I reckon its just the clutch pedal hitting the metal when fully pressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
OT i belive honda has given my friend a comparison between civic and city spare parts and maintenance cost to show that their cost for civic and city are almost equal.

is it only sundaram honda or every one is doing that
Thats great to hear, would it be possible to scan and attach it here?

As an aside my car returned 8.9 kmpl of entirely city driving with almost 100% with AC on. Most of my driving is very short distances not exceeding 4kms, considering this I am not disappointed with the mileage returned by my car.

Cheers

Last edited by hiren.mistry : 19th September 2010 at 21:06.
Old 20th September 2010, 11:34   #988
BANNED

Somewhat off Topic.

I saw on the box that the UK is coming up Pedestrian Safety rules for cars. The Civic already meets these.
Old 20th September 2010, 11:56   #989
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Somewhat off Topic.

I saw on the box that the UK is coming up Pedestrian Safety rules for cars. The Civic already meets these.
What kind of Pedestrian Protection does 8th generation Civics that we own have? Active or Passive Safety systems? Or are you talking about just the design (shape) of the car?
Old 20th September 2010, 14:24   #990
BANNED

The idea is to minimize injuries to pedestrians if you hit them. The front bumper is suitably low, so that the victim falls on the bonnet. There is enough space under the bonnet to allow it to collapse without hitting anything immediately - even the engine is lower than in most cars. These were the two major points.

Most Viewed