Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2010, 08:15   #826
BHPian

Last week I visited Pearl honda in noida sec 63, to get a quick chekup of breakpads as there was a noise from them which is typical in bus and trucks when they stop (not that loud) there was a small metal pievce with in break pads which was causing the sound, they rubbed the break pads with regmarka and car was back to normal... Current condition of pads was good and they would easily last at least 10-15K more.

Just asked price of new break pads and they told 4400 for front pair.
My q. is is there any parallel or better brand available in aftermarket with similar cost because it seems this is quite high price........ And also who manufatures Honda break pads in india?

Last edited by lalitk25 : 3rd July 2010 at 08:19. Reason: wrong address
Old 3rd July 2010, 10:25   #827
BANNED

Please check with a reputable parts supplier. I am sure they will be available (either ex-stock or to order for at least 25% less. Also, Honda likes to change the discs, though for one or two cycles you can do equally well with a honing/refinishing/skimming job.
Old 3rd July 2010, 10:29   #828
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Please check with a reputable parts supplier. I am sure they will be available (either ex-stock or to order for at least 25% less. Also, Honda likes to change the discs, though for one or two cycles you can do equally well with a honing/refinishing/skimming job.
I have already experienced this because in this chekup break pad life was still 30% left and front right disc had small rings and they told me that your pads and discs needs to be changed, I asked them to regmark both as of now and fit it back they did the same and charged me 360Rs... thats why a doubt ame to my mind that there must be a good manuf. available in market who would give same quality but in far cheaper price.... or in the same price we might get International brand disc pads (not sure though)
Old 3rd July 2010, 19:49   #829
Senior - BHPian

Brake pads are expensive. OEM equivalent Endless pads are 140$ a pair. Brembo blank brake discs which are OEM equivalent are also north of $100 a pair for the fronts. Come on, these things save your life on the road and work for 30K KM+. Why compromise?
Old 3rd July 2010, 23:43   #830
Senior - BHPian

Did a small operation today, opened the dash to remove to HU. I just wanted to confirm that honda did NOT supply the S with the AUX wire. Oh I am so furious!

Spoke to a installer and he spoke to someone in Milan Subway for the AUX cable, I was ready to pay a pretty price but when I heard 5500 Rs I almost fell from my chair.

This it seems will be an OEM wire but still 5.5K is wayy too much, is it gold tipped or something?

I have taken pics of the connector behind the HU, and I have some other pics from 8thCivic.com, I will go down to Lamington Road and surely somebody there can make me a cable at a fraction of the cost, atleast thats what I hope.
Old 3rd July 2010, 23:55   #831
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
Brake pads are expensive. OEM equivalent Endless pads are 140$ a pair. Brembo blank brake discs which are OEM equivalent are also north of $100 a pair for the fronts. Come on, these things save your life on the road and work for 30K KM+. Why compromise?
Agree 100% Immortalz
Old 4th July 2010, 11:43   #832
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalitk25 View Post
...... I asked them to regmark both as of now and fit it back they did the same and charged me 360Rs...

Never sand/emery the surface of a brake lining (whether pad or disc). This is a very bad practice. You embed particles in the lining material, which then damages the disc/drum. WQhenever I go to an independent I have to fire the mechanic to desist from this common practice.

If Honda service have done it them they should be reported to the company.
Old 4th July 2010, 12:51   #833
BHPian

sgiitk,

Do you plan to take your Civic on highway drives? If you do, please post your driving/car behaviour experiences ( handling, acceleration, roadholding, braking, physical comfort of the passengers in the rear et. al). I wish to understand how cars in the D segment behave as highway cruisers.
Regards
Old 4th July 2010, 19:26   #834
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post

Never sand/emery the surface of a brake lining (whether pad or disc). This is a very bad practice. You embed particles in the lining material, which then damages the disc/drum.
If Honda service have done it them they should be reported to the company.
In my case there was a iron patch on disc pads only which was causing the noise and rings on disc only on fron right side that was causing more damage than a sand paper could have done..... I think in this particular case either removal of that patch was the solution or changing the pads alltogether..... and yes honda people only did the job and charged 360 for the job.
Old 4th July 2010, 19:28   #835
BHPian

Quote:
I am not compromising here Just want to explore if there is any similar quality pads available in aftermarket then there is no harm.... Never said to have break pads which are cheaper in quality to save cost.......Just exploring some options here..... And if someone here can tell who is manufacturing honda original break pads then I am sure we can find same in aftermarket and I believe honda is not manufacturing break pads.....
What about bosch pads and are they good for civic?

Last edited by lalitk25 : 4th July 2010 at 19:31.
Old 5th July 2010, 10:58   #836
Senior - BHPian

Nissin makes the OEM pads. Rotors I believe are either Brembo or Nissin. I don't know about Bosch pads. Plenty of options for performance street pads if you want to. None of the good aftermarket pads are cheaper than OEM, even the ones with OEM equivalent performance.

When my rotors are up for replacement (second pad change I'm guessing), I'll be upgrading to Hawk or AXXIS street performance pads and hopefully import Brembo blanks to replace the rotors with.
Old 5th July 2010, 11:31   #837
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
Do you plan to take your Civic on highway drives? If you do, please post your driving/car behaviour experiences ( handling, acceleration, roadholding, braking, physical comfort of the passengers in the rear et. al). I wish to understand how cars in the D segment behave as highway cruisers.
I had a trip to Lucknow. Not much, just 240km return. Kanpur-Lucknow is NH25 (part of the GQ EW Corridor). The car handled beautifully. Very positive steering. It shows up the road irregularities pretty well, but then you cannot get razor sharp handling and soft suspension. What was amazing was that a car starting at only 150km on the odo gave 13.3kpl. I have a few trips on the horizon, incl. Kanpur - Gwalior (165km on NH2 and then 110km on roads which are at places an apology for a road), etc.

What I have observed is that the garage has a tendency to over inflate the tyre. So much check when the car comes back.
Old 5th July 2010, 18:25   #838
BHPian

65K Service

Finished 65K Service (AT).
Rear brake pads replaced for the first time.
(Front was replaced at 40K).

Cost (inc. tax):
Pads - Rs.4,314
Labour for Pads - Rs.497
Service - Rs.827

Total: Rs.5,638/-

FE:
Recent - 14.8 kmpl over 516 kms.
Last year - 13.4 kmpl over 21,240 kms .
Lifetime - 11.81 kmpl over 66,166 kms.
Old 6th July 2010, 13:10   #839
BHPian

Quote:
Nissin makes the OEM pads. Rotors I believe are either Brembo or Nissin. I don't know about Bosch pads. Plenty of options for performance street pads if you want to. None of the good aftermarket pads are cheaper than OEM, even the ones with OEM equivalent performance.

When my rotors are up for replacement (second pad change I'm guessing), I'll be upgrading to Hawk or AXXIS street performance pads and hopefully import Brembo blanks to replace the rotors with.
Thanks for detailed info... will definitely look for options when mine are due.... semms they will last at least 7-8KM easily and by 40K would replace pads.... rotors were still in good shape....
Old 14th July 2010, 13:32   #840
BHPian

AC air throw problem

I am having a new problem in my Civic-AT, 3+ years old with 67K on the odo.

On a 100 kms drive, after I completed 70 kms, the air-throw nearly stopped, even when I put it in full (manual mode). The fan noise was as usual loud, just the throw was very poor.

After I reached my destination, after switching off the engine I waited for a few minutes and tried the fan alone again. The throw slowly started picking up.

Next day I was on a 80 kms drive, the first 70 kms was good, the problem started again.

I contacted the dealer (Madurai TVS), they say that either:
1)the thermistor may be at fault w/o cutting out the compressor, so ice forms blocking the air flow (This happens in window ac's at home).
2) Some thing may be stuck in the air-ducts or the blower has to be cleaned.

If 1) then I might have to replace the thermistor.
if 2) I might have to open up the dash-board to get at the ducts. So I am worried.

Any advice?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks