Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2010, 14:10   #901
BANNED

The Civic has a twin beam setup, i.e. separate pairs of lamps for low and high beam. So you do not have to worry about the bi-xenon's or motorized lamps. You have to change the bulbs for the low beam and add the ballasts, etc. As per our law changing the high beams is definitely not kosher, unless you got for Projectors. Low beams may be somewhat Ok.

Warranty - out of the window. Even if you put high wattage bulbs, still it is goodbye warranty. I know someone who had HIDs put into his City by the dealer.
Old 2nd August 2010, 15:32   #902
Senior - BHPian

High beam is good enough for occasional use. My biggest concern is the low beam intensity and throw. I am not comfortable driving my car in the night due to this factor. The fog lamps that come on Civic are mostly useless as the range is very limited to about a couple of feet around the front corners. Considering the low seating position, I need to really crane my neck to see if the fog lights are on ! Headlamp leveling is also useless, even at zero position it looks pretty low to me.

I don't require a high wattage bulb. Regular 55W HB-4 bulbs with better light throw/visibility for the low beam.Was looking at various options and found that Philips Extreme Power is probably the best bet within the legal limits.
Old 2nd August 2010, 16:25   #903
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
The fog lamps that come on Civic are mostly useless as the range is very limited to about a couple of feet around the front corners. Considering the low seating position, I need to really crane my neck to see if the fog lights are on !
Agree to that. I have stopped using the fog lamps as I wonder what they illuminate.
Old 2nd August 2010, 17:24   #904
Senior - BHPian

I drive in low beam 99% of the time. Bi-Xenon is not needed for city dwellers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Will surely do that, getting them fixed today. Will post my feedback soon.

Regarding HID's, well I spoke to a few shops at Opera House. Autogauge HID's cost around 6.5K, this is just for the low beams.
But I am not sure how effective they will be. I want to improve visibility but not at the expense of blinding the oncoming traffic.
Thanks.
How about Phillips? V popular among Civic owners in the US. Its made in China but its still original and not fake. About $120 here and known to work fine.
Old 2nd August 2010, 23:35   #905
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alto99 View Post
Agree to that. I have stopped using the fog lamps as I wonder what they illuminate.
Now you telling me I just got fogs installed this last week. I agree they're mainly ornamental and the illumination is nothing to write home about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
I drive in low beam 99% of the time. Bi-Xenon is not needed for city dwellers.
Thanks.
How about Phillips? V popular among Civic owners in the US. Its made in China but its still original and not fake. About $120 here and known to work fine.
So do I. Earlier I had mentioned I got Xtreme vision but actually they're they Premium range from Philips. I have got them installed today and the I could feel they are brighter than the stock lamps.
Could not test them effectively but from whatever I could see, these are better.

Link for Philips Premium range.
Old 3rd August 2010, 01:10   #906
Senior - BHPian

@Hiren I meant Phillips HID kit not regular halogen.
Old 3rd August 2010, 08:54   #907
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
@Hiren I meant Phillips HID kit not regular halogen.
Oh great! At 120$ it sounds quite reasonable, you planning to get one?
Old 3rd August 2010, 10:14   #908
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now you telling me I just got fogs installed this last week. I agree they're mainly ornamental and the illumination is nothing to write home about.

So do I. Earlier I had mentioned I got Xtreme vision but actually they're they Premium range from Philips. I have got them installed today and the I could feel they are brighter than the stock lamps.
Could not test them effectively but from whatever I could see, these are better.

Link for Philips Premium range.
Premium seems to be the "entry level" range from Philips according to this link. I was looking at something like Extreme Power. Not sure if this is available in HB4 socket.
Old 3rd August 2010, 12:42   #909
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Premium seems to be the "entry level" range from Philips according to this link. I was looking at something like Extreme Power. Not sure if this is available in HB4 socket.
Yes, it is an entry level series but considering the weird sizes these are the only ones available in the Philips range.
My high beam bulbs had blackened over the period of year. No wonder they weren't bright enough.
Old 3rd August 2010, 13:25   #910
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, it is an entry level series but considering the weird sizes these are the only ones available in the Philips range.
My high beam bulbs had blackened over the period of year. No wonder they weren't bright enough.

Saw the Xtreme Power bulb 9006 available online on ebay, shipped from HongKong. I am planning to order the same. It comes to $50 including shipping for a pair.

Last edited by vasoo : 3rd August 2010 at 13:27.
Old 3rd August 2010, 14:49   #911
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The fog lamps that come on Civic are mostly useless as the range is very limited to about a couple of feet around the front corners.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alto99 View Post
Quote:
Guys,

Fog lamps are just that Fog lamps.
Bring your rides up North in the winters and see them do their trick when the lights from the regular bulbs simply bounces off the fog.
Old 3rd August 2010, 15:11   #912
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Guys,

Fog lamps are just that Fog lamps.
Bring your rides up North in the winters and see them do their trick when the lights from the regular bulbs simply bounces off the fog.
I am sorry, I disagree with this. I have tried these OEM fog lamps during thick fogs in hilly areas. I can tell from my experience that they are just ornamental in purpose. At the most, these lights serve only as an indicator for other vehicles coming from opposite side and not for the car which it is fitted with. The only solution in such case will be to fit "real aftermarket fog lamps" that serves the purpose.
Old 3rd August 2010, 16:43   #913
Senior - BHPian

I had OE fog lamps made by Honda Japan on my OHC. Used them every year for 10 years on highways and roads in and around NCR and they came through every time. Currently OE lamps on our Aveo are proving themselves.

Infact just last month after the Pune Tbhp meet returning to Bomaby the OE lamps on my Swift Zxi proved their worth as soon as I came out of the Khandala tunnel and hit a cloud bank that prevailed for a couple of kms after the Amrutanjan bridge underpass. Just switched off the head lights and drove with the fog and parking lights.

I believe the trick is not to expect the foggers to do away with the fog but to assist the driver to help see a little better. Another thing could be that the dealers may be installing ornamental lights instead of genuine fogs. All of my fogs have been company fiited except for the ones on the OHC. Those were bought from the then only dealer of Honda in Delhi in 1998 and the sealed box was opened and the lights installed in front of me. In fact my brother in law who bought an Accord later commented that the fogs on my car were putting out more intense beam compared to what the fogs on his car did.

I now again have co. fitted fogs on my new Cedis sports, shall get to use them these winters and hopefully my comments would still be positive. Otherwise I will fly down to B'lore and we can hunt for better after market lights together
Old 3rd August 2010, 20:02   #914
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Saw the Xtreme Power bulb 9006 available online on ebay, shipped from HongKong. I am planning to order the same. It comes to $50 including shipping for a pair.
Is it 50 HKD or USD? If its HKD then they are very cheap considering I paid 210 rs. per bulb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
I had OE fog lamps made by Honda Japan on my OHC. Used them every year for 10 years on highways and roads in and around NCR and they came through every time. Currently OE lamps on our Aveo are proving themselves.

Infact just last month after the Pune Tbhp meet returning to Bomaby the OE lamps on my Swift Zxi proved their worth as soon as I came out of the Khandala tunnel and hit a cloud bank that prevailed for a couple of kms after the Amrutanjan bridge underpass. Just switched off the head lights and drove with the fog and parking lights.

I believe the trick is not to expect the foggers to do away with the fog but to assist the driver to help see a little better. Another thing could be that the dealers may be installing ornamental lights instead of genuine fogs. All of my fogs have been company fiited except for the ones on the OHC. Those were bought from the then only dealer of Honda in Delhi in 1998 and the sealed box was opened and the lights installed in front of me. In fact my brother in law who bought an Accord later commented that the fogs on my car were putting out more intense beam compared to what the fogs on his car did.
What you say makes sense, these fogs lamps should be used in foggy conditions. Perhaps its asking too much for these lamps to augment the illumination of the regular head lamps.
Old 4th August 2010, 10:14   #915
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is it 50 HKD or USD? If its HKD then they are very cheap considering I paid 210 rs. per bulb.

It is USD. The pair costs US$28 and shipping from HK US$22. I have placed the order today.

Most Viewed