Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2010, 15:44   #886
BANNED

You have to access the rear of the evaporator (from where it sucks in air). Then use a brush (toothbrush or a 1-1/2" or 2" paintbrush) to remove the muck. Finally use the blower to blow out the rest. The evaporator must be dry. For the blower only a paintbrush works.

Another option is to enter through a duct and then use a powerful blower (a vacuum will not do) to blow the air and muck out of the other side. In the old days I have disassembled a Zen AC and then picked up and removed leaves. But these lower end cars give you far more access.

Last edited by sgiitk : 26th July 2010 at 15:55.
Old 26th July 2010, 17:38   #887
BHPian

AC blower problem

I use the Aquatak pressure washer to spray water from the front over the radiator and AC heat-exchanger after very long drives. (I am careful that I do not use too much pressure lest I bend the fins). I have seen insects, etc being stuck on the fins.

I will me doing 1,000 kms over this weekend and will report problems if any.
Old 27th July 2010, 10:01   #888
BANNED

@manim: We are talking of the evaporator coil which is inside the passenger compartment. I am sure you do not want water there.
Old 27th July 2010, 13:20   #889
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@manim: We are talking of the evaporator coil which is inside the passenger compartment. I am sure you do not want water there.
But can we have easy access to those without removing a lot of dash-board parts?
I will consult with my SA during my next service.
Old 29th July 2010, 11:34   #890
BHPian

Quote:
I think I would ask the service center to do that for me in my coming 35K service (Not far already clocked 34200)
Old 1st August 2010, 00:24   #891
Senior - BHPian

Its been raining cats and dogs the past few weeks here in Bombay and this has created a new problem for my Civic; water logging in the spare wheel stowage well.

I noticed this earlier but did not give it enough though. Today when I opened the boot I was shocked to see so much water had been logged. Could not take pics to show.

The carpet covering the wheel is dry and so is the thermocol (?) material around the wheel well. I think the water is collecting in the boot rubber beading and spilling in.

Has anyone faced a similar issue? Took it to a my local mechanic and he advised to make a inverted V shaped cut in 2 places so water does not collect. I did that but that has not helped much.

I am really getting worried about it. Would post some pics of the wheel well and the cuts tomorrow. Would appreciate your comments.
Old 1st August 2010, 15:30   #892
BANNED

@hiren: Many cars have a dran hole, with a rubber plug there. Look for it. I suspect the plug is either missing (more likely) or damaged. I will be surprised if the weld on the pan has given way.
Old 1st August 2010, 22:09   #893
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@hiren: Many cars have a dran hole, with a rubber plug there. Look for it. I suspect the plug is either missing (more likely) or damaged. I will be surprised if the weld on the pan has given way.
Thanks for the reply sgiitk but I am not sure I understand what you mean?
I have a water logging issue, so if the plug is wouldn't that drain out all the collected water?

Maybe I should call up the service station and book an appointment to get this looked into. Don't want this to cause any damage to the seals in the boot.

Thanks
Old 2nd August 2010, 00:15   #894
Senior - BHPian

Anybody running HIDs on their Civic? Would like some info and reviews.

I am interested in fixed low beam (non motorised) only so no scatter or reliability issues.
Old 2nd August 2010, 09:42   #895
BANNED

@hiren: Look at this another way. If the boot is washed or inundated water will collect at the lowest point, which is the spare well. The provide a hole for this to drain out. There is a rubber plug (more like a closed grommet) which is removed to allow the draining. If this plug is missing, damaged or improperly fixed then water can both get in and out through it. Remove the spare and look around. You may find it!
Old 2nd August 2010, 10:36   #896
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Thanks for the reply sgiitk but I am not sure I understand what you mean?
I have a water logging issue, so if the plug is wouldn't that drain out all the collected water?

Maybe I should call up the service station and book an appointment to get this looked into. Don't want this to cause any damage to the seals in the boot.

Thanks
It may be an issue with the rubber gasket near the boot door. Get them checked thoroughly by spraying water at the service station and replace them if required. I cant think of any other way water can enter the boot. If drain hole is open, then it should allow the water both to get in and out, not just one way.
Old 2nd August 2010, 10:38   #897
Senior - BHPian

Aha! Thanks for being so lucid. I don't know how I could not understand this earlier.
I have removed the spare wheel and looked for something similar many times over but could not find anything. The only place where something like this can be placed is right below the lock stay for the spare wheel. I will clean it properly and see if it helps.

Many thanks sgiitk!

@vasoo: I get what you are saying. Even I am thinking that the rubber gasket might be the culprit. Have booked an appointment with HASS hopefully they should be able to resolve it.

Cheers

Last edited by hiren.mistry : 2nd August 2010 at 10:41.
Old 2nd August 2010, 11:41   #898
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Anybody running HIDs on their Civic? Would like some info and reviews.

I am interested in fixed low beam (non motorised) only so no scatter or reliability issues.
Even I am interested in similar arrangement. In the interim I have purchased Philips Xtreme power headlamps for my car (HB3 and HB4), am yet to get them fixed.

They cost me INR 210 per bulb.
Old 2nd August 2010, 11:55   #899
Senior - BHPian

Even I am disappointed with the stock headlamps of my car. Too much eye strain driving in rainy weather when there are no street lights. Did anybody here get them changed? I am not keen on major changes like HID or Xenons considering the possible warranty issues. Will any alternate bulbs such as Philips Extreme be useful? Hiren, please give feedback after you install them.
Old 2nd August 2010, 12:54   #900
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
Even I am disappointed with the stock headlamps of my car. Too much eye strain driving in rainy weather when there are no street lights. Did anybody here get them changed? I am not keen on major changes like HID or Xenons considering the possible warranty issues. Will any alternate bulbs such as Philips Extreme be useful? Hiren, please give feedback after you install them.
Will surely do that, getting them fixed today. Will post my feedback soon.

Regarding HID's, well I spoke to a few shops at Opera House. Autogauge HID's cost around 6.5K, this is just for the low beams.
But I am not sure how effective they will be. I want to improve visibility but not at the expense of blinding the oncoming traffic.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks