Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2010, 17:36   #766
BHPian

My 2007 civic VAT started with a shake and weird noise(very unlike hondas) only on its first start of the day on 5th June. Yesterday i sent the car to capital honda for a service at 38k and was told that the engine bed needs to be changed and is not in stock at the moment. Engine bed would set me back by 7000 rs. My ride is on extended warranty and I was told the engine bed being a rubber part is not covered under warranty. The noise has only gotten worse after its come back.

I also asked them to check my suspension as I felt the car was falling into bumps with a thud and was told the wheels(league alloys) have weakened the suspension and the parts which need to be changed would set me back by another 7k(I have forgotten the parts they specified).

I look after my rides with way too much care and I am shocked with these problems suddenly creeping up. Arent the quoted prices way too high? 2 days back a friend got his engine bed replaced in his A-star for 700rs. Is the price of the engine bed for civic 10 times the price of a A-star?

Is the analysis done by the capital honda guys spot on?
Old 10th June 2010, 18:01   #767
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsfx View Post
Is the analysis done by the capital honda guys spot on?
You need a second opinion too from some other dealership. If still not satisfied, a competent independent mechanic would also be a good idea.
Old 10th June 2010, 18:22   #768
Senior - BHPian

More often than not, I hear a noise akin to a spring being released of tension. Muted 'twaang' types. Seems to comes from somewhere near the front wheels.

This happens when I first turn the steering wheel after the car is parked for a while. So for eg, when I drive out in the morning. Or when I start from office in the evening. The noise does not happen at any other time. Just during the first movement of the steering wheel.
Old 10th June 2010, 20:19   #769
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My 2007 civic VAT started with a shake and weird noise(very unlike hondas) only on its first start of the day on 5th June. Yesterday i sent the car to capital honda for a service at 38k and was told that the engine bed needs to be changed and is not in stock at the moment. Engine bed would set me back by 7000 rs. My ride is on extended warranty and I was told the engine bed being a rubber part is not covered under warranty. The noise has only gotten worse after its come back.
Your engine's hydraulic mount is probably on it's way out. That's the most expensive mount. This is a known issue with the 8th generation Civic and there is a TSB for it. You should be given a free replacement if under warranty. 6.5k + tax is the amount I was told. Mine was replaced under warranty (but, this was standard warranty). I can send a copy of the bill if it helps in your fight with Honda.

And yes, a 1.8L engine which chucks out a lot more torque than a 1.2 will have subsequently more expensive engine mounts. I doubt the A-Star has a hydraulic mount. Those tend to be very expensive.

Quote:
I also asked them to check my suspension as I felt the car was falling into bumps with a thud and was told the wheels(league alloys) have weakened the suspension and the parts which need to be changed would set me back by another 7k(I have forgotten the parts they specified).
Please post what exactly they want to change. You might want to get a second opinion about this from another dealer if you have that option. The dealer can claim suspension warranty is void due to the alloys. But usually if the rolling radius is correct and the offset is also fine, alloys shouldn't cause too much additional wear and tear on the suspension. Do you travel on rough roads regularly?

Last edited by ImmortalZ : 10th June 2010 at 20:26.
Old 12th June 2010, 12:50   #770
BHPian

Thanks for your replies guys. I got my car checked up with my local mechanic whos been looking after my cars for over a decade. His analysis:

1.) The shake from cold start is due to injectors and they need to be cleaned. (3 other cars in my office seem have the same problem at the moment)

2.) The ball joint needs to be changed in the front suspension.

3.) The engine bed looks perfect.

I have given a stinker of a feedback to capital honda as the car suspension noise has worsened *10 times after the car has come back from capital honda. I also noticed there was a huge nick on my front bumper(I never have nicks or dings on any of my cars. I get them fixed immediately).

The engine bed i was told will cost me 7k.

I have sent my car to my local mechanics place and supposed to get it back by evening. Lets see if an independent is better than a Honda dealership.

W.r.t. to the roads: My office is just 2 kms from home and roads are pretty good. The problems have only crept up after my trip to tirupathi where the highway roads were pretty bad.

Immortalz: Thanks for clarifying the price of the mount and I will probably let them know that your civic hydraulic mount was swapped under warranty. If I need to fight it out with them I will probably ask you for your bill so that I can evidence it out as part of warranty.

Cheers
Old 12th June 2010, 14:00   #771
Senior - BHPian

The easiest way to see if the engine mount is the actual problem:

1) Starting rattle. Cold starts will cause the car to shake and you'll hear a definite rattle that sounds like a metal plate banging against another metal plate for the first half a second or so.

2) You'll hear the same rattle if you hit potholes while turning right. This is very distinct and easily reproduce-able. Find a favorite roundabout and hit a pothole while turning right and going at around 20-30KMPH. If your mount is on it's way out, it'll rattle without fail every single time.

Unless you've been using dirty fuel, there is no reason for the injectors to be clogged. Double and triple check with experts before you go messing with the fuel system.

The engine mount will look perfect. There will be no fluid leak or cracked rubber that show the mount is faulty like with the normal mounts. The words my SA used was "it is loose. We've tightened it up, but it'll be out again in a couple of days. This is a known issue, your part has been ordered and it'll arrive in a week." They replaced mount without making any fuss.
Old 12th June 2010, 19:59   #772
Senior - BHPian

Fellow Civic-lians,
Getting my car home trow. Could not resist the temptation, so went to see the car today, thats when I realised that the head unit does not play MP3 format .
So I will be burning a few of my favorite tracks on to a CD.

Wanted to know are the speakers for S and V model the same? Or V was given some better quality speakers? The reason I ask is I am planning on installing Infinity components up front and 6x9 at the rear as soon as possible.

I asked a local accessory shop if he could attach an aux-in cable for the car and he says its a piece of cake. I am too sure though.

Can't wait, one more sleepless night.
Old 12th June 2010, 20:12   #773
Senior - BHPian

The head unit plays both MP3 and WMA. I have six CDs full of MP3s loaded into my Civic. I hope this local accessory shop can reliably work with the dash. The last thing you want is a couple of broken clips in the dash causing rattles that will drive you mad. The V and S have the same speakers as far as I know.
Old 12th June 2010, 21:22   #774
Senior - BHPian

My first accident

Today was a heart break day for me. A water truck kissed my car on the front right corner. The bumper came off on the right side and fender got dents near the headlight. I will take the car for repair tomorrow or on Monday. What do they normally do in such cases? Will they replace or repair it? How much it will cost? Not sure if they will have to replace the bumper.
Old 13th June 2010, 11:44   #775
Senior - BHPian

They can dent it back into shape, but the complex shape is difficult to work with. A new fender is around 4.5k IIRC.
Old 14th June 2010, 10:31   #776
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
The easiest way to see if the engine mount is the actual problem:

1) Starting rattle. Cold starts will cause the car to shake and you'll hear a definite rattle that sounds like a metal plate banging against another metal plate for the first half a second or so.

2) You'll hear the same rattle if you hit potholes while turning right. This is very distinct and easily reproduce-able. Find a favorite roundabout and hit a pothole while turning right and going at around 20-30KMPH. If your mount is on it's way out, it'll rattle without fail every single time.

Unless you've been using dirty fuel, there is no reason for the injectors to be clogged. Double and triple check with experts before you go messing with the fuel system.

The engine mount will look perfect. There will be no fluid leak or cracked rubber that show the mount is faulty like with the normal mounts. The words my SA used was "it is loose. We've tightened it up, but it'll be out again in a couple of days. This is a known issue, your part has been ordered and it'll arrive in a week." They replaced mount without making any fuss.
So the mount will be under warranty and the bed being a rubber part will not be covered right? I was told the problem is only with the engine bed and it would cost me 7k. So maybe i should ask them once again if its only the bed which is on its way out or even the mount. Btw my local mechanic has cleaned the injectors and says the cold start problem has disappeared and also told me the fuel filter desperately needed to be cleaned(wonder what service the honda guys have carried out).

All these years I was under the impression that Honda has the best service centres but 2 weeks back my uncle had a big problem with the other dealership(not sure if I should talk about it in an open forum..lets just say somebody drove away with something). Probably thats the reason I dont trust these guys anymore.
Old 14th June 2010, 10:49   #777
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
The head unit plays both MP3 and WMA. I have six CDs full of MP3s loaded into my Civic. I hope this local accessory shop can reliably work with the dash. The last thing you want is a couple of broken clips in the dash causing rattles that will drive you mad. The V and S have the same speakers as far as I know.
I saw mp3/wma written on the HU only after I picked the car up. So it was a false alarm

Yes, I am really afraid to let the local mechanics get their grubby paws on me car. I've had my fair share of rattles and squeaks in my 16 year old Esteem, so the only sound I want in my Civic is that comes from the speakers.

So I reckon I will burn MP3's and play them. I will nonetheless check with Solitaire honda for the aux-in cable thingamagik.

And BTW, I got the car home on Sunday and somehow the feeling has still not sunk in. One small step for Honda, one giant step for Hiren-kind
Old 14th June 2010, 16:36   #778
BHPian

[quote=hiren.mistry;

Yes, I am really afraid to let the local mechanics get their grubby paws on me car. I've had my fair share of rattles and squeaks in my 16 year old Esteem, so the only sound I want in my Civic is that comes from the speakers.

[/quote]

My local mechanic is not exactly the regular road side mechanics as he looks after the maroon Porsche Cayenne, SLK, 7 Series, X6 etc seen in the Chennai Exotics thread.. Guess thats one reason I tend to trust him with my ride. Otherwise I wouldnt trust anyother mechanic.
Old 14th June 2010, 18:06   #779
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My local mechanic is not exactly the regular road side mechanics as he looks after the maroon Porsche Cayenne, SLK, 7 Series, X6 etc seen in the Chennai Exotics thread.. Guess thats one reason I tend to trust him with my ride. Otherwise I wouldnt trust anyother mechanic.
Well, I am not sure the accessory shop I spoke to has access to such exotics.
I don't mean to deride anyone but at this point I'd rather let Honda service take care of the AUX-In thing.

Thanks
Old 14th June 2010, 22:25   #780
BHPian

Did 45K service today.

800 for service and 900 (+150 labor) for wiper blades.

Had asked them to do wheel alignment, and check castor angle since during wheel alignment done last week while changing tyres, the castor angle seemed to be a bit off. I told the SE specifically that I am doing it to check the castor and even showed him the old report. But while taking delivery, when I looked at the report, the castor angle had not even been measured at all. Argued with the SE for a few minutes, then understood it is futile. Damage: 1500 for alignment, balancing and weights.

Asked for 3M interior and exterior cleaning. Interior turned out to be good, exterior, average. Damage: 3500

Total 7500 approx. Overall not very satisfied because of the wheel alignment fiasco. Now I have to search again for some place who can check and adjust the castor.

This is the third wheel alignment I am doing in the last 1 month, and curiously, be it toe, camber or SAI, the numbers seem to be totally different in all three reports. I have begun to suspect the accuracy of wheel alignments these people do.

But, as usual, car feels better to drive after the service.

Last edited by civic-sense : 14th June 2010 at 22:26.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks