Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2010, 07:54   #706
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
Another possibility is a drive shaft issue. Get it checked ASAP. If the boot is torn, then every KM you drive is significantly reducing the life of the CV joint.
3rd free service done and not to my surprise, it was another adventure experience with Magnum (I'm used to it now). For the cut-cut noise I mentioned, they said everything is fine and did suspension re-torque. The noise is absent so far (~40kms after the delivery). Need some more testing to be sure. I think Honda needs to monitor these dealerships closely, else these guys are capable of becoming a Skoda.
Old 17th April 2010, 16:08   #707
BANNED

Poor civic OEM battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post

The model is 'Amaron Pro - 55B24LS'. Is this the exact Civic replacement? The rate was Rs.4,950/- minus Rs.400/- for the dead one.
Got stranded at kodambakkam, and my Civic OEM battery (just 26 months) old is weak.. !! My diesel Ikon's OEM battery lasted for more than 4 yrs..

I got a quote for 55B24L 45 amps Amron-Pro, for Rs 5200 (MRP is 5304), and Rs 300 for old battery = 4900/-. I check with two dealers in chennai, both gave only Rs 100 discount..

But above post says Rs 4,950.. Is it MRP or after discount ?
Old 17th April 2010, 21:05   #708
BHPian

OEM SF died at 2.75 years

I am not sure about the MRP but I ended up paying Rs.4,550 for Amaron 55B24LS.
I have driven 4,300 kms with it so far and am satisfied.
Maybe they increased the rates after April (due to inflation).

My OEM battery was a 'cheating' since after long drives when I open the bonnet, I can see the liquid bubbling out of the cell-caps. My new Amaron does not do that. Also Honda only gives one year warranty to the OEM but gives 2.5 years (30 months) for their own SF replacement thro their dealers.

But I forgive Honda, though they cheated me with a lousy OEM-battery they gave me a great car!

I have now bought 'Honda Roadside Assistance 24x7' for three years and hope if I get stranded again, they will help me (Rs.3,250 for 3 years). (However one clause disturbed me: Stranded car must be within 100 kms radius of any Authorized dealer. My home is 140 kms from the nearest!). Since I regularly do long drives (8~10 hours continously) with my family, sometimes overnight (like a lorry-driver!), it gives me peace-of-mind.

A doubt, is yours an AT? Mine is. If MT then you can push start it if your battery died.

P.S
Is there any seperate thread for 'Honda Roadside Assistance 24x7'?
Old 17th April 2010, 21:30   #709
BANNED

Quote:
P.S
Is there any seperate thread for 'Honda Roadside Assistance 24x7'?
hm.. budget might have put some hike on price.

But on your road side assistance, why you didn't go with myTVS. I heard they got better coverage in south, than anyone else.

Mine is an MT. I waited for 2-3mins, turned off all electricals and it got me out of the mess.
Old 18th April 2010, 18:12   #710
BHPian

Honda Vs MyTVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by swageo View Post
But on your road side assistance, why you didn't go with myTVS. I heard they got better coverage in south, than anyone else.
MyTVS are supposed to cover the entire state unlike Honda. But if there is any technical break-down I would rather let Honda-trained guys to touch my car rather than a general mechanic. Honda's rates are also very cheaper. The TVS Dealer themselves (Sundaram Honda, Madurai) recommended the Honda anyway. Finally I can use MyTVS even if I am not a member by paying extra.
Old 21st April 2010, 18:08   #711
Senior - BHPian

Which make was your OEM battery? Mine is Standard Furakawa. Not sure how good they are. Been using Exide and Amaron all along on my older cars and was pretty satidfied with them. In fact the OEM Exide on my Santro lasted 6 years before it gave away.
Old 21st April 2010, 19:56   #712
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
Which make was your OEM battery? Mine is Standard Furakawa. Not sure how good they are. Been using Exide and Amaron all along on my older cars and was pretty satidfied with them. In fact the OEM Exide on my Santro lasted 6 years before it gave away.
mine is SF.. just lasted 26 months.

Today I replaced it with Amaron Pro 55B24L @ a sub-dealer for Rs 4700 (MRP 5300 - 100 discount - 500 for old SF).

But I noticed, the battery was not kind of laminated, but in box. Dealer said all these models comes like that.. hope it is genuine.. Got guarantee card and bill
Old 24th April 2010, 18:46   #713
Senior - BHPian

Got my car from 6 months/10K today (3rd service).

* Opted for synthetic engine oil (Idemitsu 0W30) - Rs 2202.22
* Battery water - Rs. 10.04
* W/S Wash Fluid - Rs 44.61
* Washer drain, 14MM - Rs 18.75

* Wheel alignment - Rs 450
* Wheel balancing - Rs 200
* Weight balance 15 - Rs. 112.51
* Weight Balance 25 - Rs. 144.10

Total - Rs. 3249

The dealer tried hard to convince me to opt for Front windshield polishing. Apparently, it protects the glass surface from the opposing wiper actions.. any ideas? Also, are the Civic wipers from Bosch? Because, I was told, its one..

Also, with the synthetic oil, they tell me that I can change the oil after 10K the next time, instead of the 5K.

Well, for the drive, with the new synthetic oil change, the engine is even more silent, and smooth at idle, and I can feel the 'lightness' when revving. strangely, I also felt that the gear shift is even shorter now.. hope this remains so for long time to come

One funny incident (kinda like it) - After the service, I took the car to a fuel pump to check air pressure on the tyres.. the guy at the stand asked me if I had just taken delivery from the showroom.. I replied, I did 6 months back..

Last edited by iTNerd : 24th April 2010 at 18:52.
Old 24th April 2010, 22:38   #714
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
One funny incident (kinda like it) - After the service, I took the car to a fuel pump to check air pressure on the tyres.. the guy at the stand asked me if I had just taken delivery from the showroom.. I replied, I did 6 months back..
It could also be that your tyre pressures were at 45+ psi and he would have asked you just to confirm.
Old 25th April 2010, 07:10   #715
Senior - BHPian

Front windshield polishing? That's a new one. The wipers are Bosch Aerotwins, yes.
Old 25th April 2010, 17:52   #716
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My OEM battery was a 'cheating' since after long drives when I open the bonnet, I can see the liquid bubbling out of the cell-caps. My new Amaron does not do that. Also Honda only gives one year warranty to the OEM but gives 2.5 years (30 months) for their own SF replacement thro their dealers.
That bubbling is caused by overfilling the battery cells above the max line on the battery or the grid separators. Put that down to over enthusiastic technicians either at Honda's SC or your local battery dealer. I've seen them top batteries off as if they were water bottles right to the brim!

And yes, stick to the recommended levels of fluids whether it is battery electrolyte, engine oil, coolant, brake fluid or power steering fluid. In many cases overfilling is detrimental...specially engine oils. The Max and Min lines are there for a reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
SF is an Exide owned brand. Between the 2 brands, I prefer Exide anyday. 20+ years and not a single cause for complaint. The aftermarket SF in my Dad's car failed after 2 years, was replaced under warranty and the replacement has now been running fine for 2+ years.

Cheers!
Old 25th April 2010, 18:08   #717
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
Also, with the synthetic oil, they tell me that I can change the oil after 10K the next time, instead of the 5K.
With synthetic, in the City, the oil change is once every 10000kms or one year which ever is earlier.

I thought the Civic already had a 10000km oil change period!
Old 26th April 2010, 12:33   #718
BHPian

Civic does have 10K interval on mineral, with synthetic it should have 15K

Last edited by lalitk25 : 26th April 2010 at 12:37.
Old 26th April 2010, 12:34   #719
BHPian

Civic does have 10K interval on mineral, with synthetic it should have 15K
Mods: please delete this because of error I submitted it twice.

Last edited by lalitk25 : 26th April 2010 at 12:38.
Old 26th April 2010, 13:36   #720
Senior - BHPian

The rattles behind the audiosystem from the dash which I mentioned before indeed had something to do with the AC.

Now I have cold air coming from the passenger vents, and from the driver vents only air. Seems some piping is lose under the dash which attributes to the rattle, and cold air. Will have to remove the dash and check :(

Planning it along with the 50K service. Its raining in Bangalore, hence I can live with cold air from the left vents.

Most Viewed