Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2010, 21:33   #661
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
The mirror assembly is seriously strong and swings both ways.
I guess the mirror assembly for the Civic is more stronger than Honda's other cars. I was once driving my friends Accord and the LHS mirror hit a pedestrian at about 25kmph and it broke and fell right there!
Old 27th March 2010, 07:58   #662
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post

Could not resist posting my recent mileage achievement:
938 kms with 60 litres so 15.6 kmpl!
I still can't believe you are getting this mileage.. Wow... Mine is at 8.5 - 9 in chennai city drive.,, and was 13 on highway..
Old 27th March 2010, 09:09   #663
BHPian

I have had these type of incidents though on low speeds many times in noida and almost always either entire mirror folds to the other side or the mirror only gets loose but keeps there with upper clips.
Once an indica was coming from the wrong side and he hit my RHS mirror, I came out nothing happened to mine other than a point but Indicas entire mirror was broken and fell down.....
Mirror is very well thought of and great build quality.....
Just for my knowlwdge what is the cost of entire fitting both sides in case something major happens? I have seen a lot of cars in NCR region Civic and City's with their both mirros missing that must be a case of theft cant be accident with so many cars specially only with mirrors missing on them.....

Last edited by lalitk25 : 27th March 2010 at 09:13.
Old 27th March 2010, 10:25   #664
BHPian

Mileage

Quote:
Originally Posted by swageo View Post
I still can't believe you are getting this mileage.. Wow... Mine is at 8.5 - 9 in chennai city drive.,, and was 13 on highway..
I got only 9.4 kmpl when I drove inside Chennai this new-year!

The high mileage I achieved was in special circumstances like:
99% highways at 70 kmph rock-steady speeds, Only one or two adults with almost no luggage, etc.
Old 27th March 2010, 11:05   #665
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
I am still apprehensive of opening the left ORVM for the fear of being hit. Have to get over it soon and what I hear above inspires confidence to do that.
Err, how do you keep the left ORVM closed by itself?
Old 27th March 2010, 11:19   #666
BHPian

Quote:
Base model civic does not have automatic mirrors IIRC
Old 27th March 2010, 11:23   #667
Senior - BHPian

Yes, the mirrors are quite strong. I have had several hits and they just keep working. After a hit, all I do is open and close them once to 'reset' them. Then get the scratch touched up at next service.

Civics with both or either mirror missing are usually due to vandalism/theft, when the entire mirror assembly is simply twisted off by force. While it is strong on its normal movement axis, it is very weak when moved in any other direction, hence easy to break off. AFAIK the cost of the entire assembly is about 8k with paint, correct me if I am wrong.
Old 27th March 2010, 11:53   #668
BANNED

Quote:
Close it manually.. r
Old 27th March 2010, 15:41   #669
BANNED

Quote:
When I am on a long distance drive on the highway and want to take a loo-break, I time it correctly and switch off the engines in 'N', and without using brakes coast to a stop on the side of the road. So I cover a few hundred meters completely free of fuel!
(note: The brakes and steering lose their hydraulic-power with the engine switched off ).
IMO pretty stupid and dangerous. Why do you go overboard with FE on your Civic? It's a drivers car. Drive it like it's meant to be driven.

Quote:
I have recently lost 10 kilos weight and dieting to lose at-least 5 kgs more.
What motivates me when it is tough to lose one's weight?
The answer: The thought that my car will give better FE due to the decreased load it has to carry! .
Congratulations on your weight loss programme. However the reason behind it is again stupid. If you want more FE, just buy a car that will give you that FE. Whenever you buy a car, you're supposed to enjoy it (at TBHPians are supposed to). Don't deprive yourself of this enjoyment just for FE. Finally after all your efforts, you won't end up saving much. The Civic gives decent FE when driven normally (hard).

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
I am not sure about others who bought the new civic, but mine states 2+2 warranty.. and I never paid anything extra above the ex-showroom (plus 51K tax + 24K insurance)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
Just curious then why do they call it 2+2 if it is free from Honda and why not 4 years warranty ?

Are few things excluded after 2 years ?
I think the cost of the extended warranty was included in the price. Just check the invoice. Most dealers try this trick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
4. Poor hospitality, even if customer makes a booking
Again common to all dealers. Hospitality is only until you part with your hard earned money.

Last edited by Live To Jive : 27th March 2010 at 15:44.
Old 27th March 2010, 16:35   #670
Senior - BHPian

Nope, my invoice doesn't say anything about extended warranty. I checked the ex-sh price at the time against the price on Honda's website and it tallied. Extended warranty is standard since some time in 2008.
Old 27th March 2010, 17:40   #671
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A few hours ago my RHS external rear-view-mirror was hit by another car coming against me on the highway (Civic-AT).

I was doing around 50 kmph and assuming the other car with the same speed the impact may be at around 100 kmph. There was a big noise and the mirror folded on impact. The other car kept going and so did I.
(Lesson learnt: A few inches nearer could have been a dangerous accident, so must be more careful in future).

The mirror was gone! Checked the operation of the adjustment-motor and the auto-folding, both were okay.(So Honda makes them very strong!) Called up my dealer for the cost involved in replacing the mirror and was quoted an rough estimate of less than Rs.500 to 600. Anyone here has replaced before? Please let me know the cost.

There was also a black spot at the place of impact, maybe the dealer will touch it up with some paint when I take it for the replacement in a few days. There were also very small scratches made on my window glass, made from the shattering mirror.

I felt bad for a few minutes only, after all by its very nature a road-running car over a long period will get dents and scratches (and near misses on Indian roads). My car is three years old and done 60K.

Will be going for the 60K service soon.

Could not resist posting my recent mileage achievement:
938 kms with 60 litres so 15.6 kmpl!
I had the same kind of experience with my RHS ORVMS... Just a month old, it was struck by a cow that strayed towards the road suddenly, and the car was doing around 110 kmph.. the mirror broke off, and the pieces hit the side glass at high velocity, leaving visible scratches (I thanked God, that the glass was up!)... As it was on the expressway, and on high speed, I could not stop, so didn't know if the cow was dead.. luckily the ORVMS without the mirror worked and no lose, rattling etc. I replaced the mirror with Rs. 150 from outside, but the lens was too convex and poor quality. Utlimately, got a new one from Honda.. costed Rs. 500 bucks..

well, on mileage, mine gives between 14-15 kmpl (~540-550 kms on 38 litres.. 38 litres coz, that's the amount I top up usually (auto-cut point), when the orange gauge warning comes up)

Last edited by iTNerd : 27th March 2010 at 17:46.
Old 28th March 2010, 00:58   #672
BHPian

Quote:
The high mileage I achieved was in special circumstances like:
99% highways at 70 kmph rock-steady speeds, Only one or two adults with almost no luggage, etc.
Agree. During my bangy-vellore trip during run-in, I got ~16kmpl with cruise control engaged on straight roads and speeds under 100kmph. During my last weekend trip to yercaud, I got ~11kmpl with 98% in S-mode + paddles and had a gala time with the tacho needle dancing at redline; me still smiling
Old 28th March 2010, 09:31   #673
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Simple. I open only the right one manually while the left one is still retracted. However, its a bit tricky because once I switched off the ignition with the right one open and the left one closed, and when I turned it back on, the left ORVM opened by itself. Still experimenting I should say.
Old 28th March 2010, 16:58   #674
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
Simple. I open only the right one manually
Manually folding it on and on may spoil the alignment and the motor bush. Also, I'm wondering how one can drive without LHS mirror for a car of that size, I simply can't.
mkc15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2010, 17:40   #675
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkc15 View Post
Manually folding it on and on may spoil the alignment and the motor bush. Also, I'm wondering how one can drive without LHS mirror for a car of that size, I simply can't.
Me too. I am so much dependent on both ORVM mirrors, cannot imagine without them in tight traffic conditions and while reversing. IMO, they help to avoid the side body from getting hit by passing vehicles as they will drive a bit carefully due to its presence, specifically two wheelers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks