Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2017, 21:04   #8161
BANNED

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearce634 View Post
Right,

1. Can anyone suggest a good mechanic in Delhi who can take care of the repair work with high standards and reasonable prices?
Check out Krishna Motor Garage in Connaught place. They are well versed with most cars and prices are decent and much lower than the dealership.
I've used them for my Chevy spark mostly and i'm a happy customer. I've seen a civic or two being serviced there from time to time.
agambhandari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2017, 23:54   #8162
BHPian

My car being 6 year old and low on mileage has developed cracks on tire's sidewall which makes me wonder that they are no more safe to drive at triple digit speed and specially in Delhi summers.

So the search had begun today to find a new set of shoes for her.

Just went to Noida Sector 16 Car market to do a brief recce on the brands available.

I would like to stick to the OEM spec 195/65 R15 to save my self from the huge cost of suspension and engine mounting overhaul which comes as a freebie along with tire upsizing specially in Delhi NCR roads.

Brand available in 2-3 shops were as follows.

1) Bridgestone B250 - INR 5750/pc

2) Yokohama Earth 1 - INR 5400/pc

3) Michelin XM2 - INR 6200/pc

4) Hankook - INR 5500/pc

The prices quoted above were without any negotiation since I was short of time.

The price however included wheel alignment, balancing and free Nitrogen filling.

Out of these, Yokohama and Hankook come with 5 Yrs warranty and rest two come with 3 yrs. Warranty. The dealer was however pushing me Hankook ones.

I would also like to quote that the stock OEM tires that came along with spare were Michelin.

Need your advice for the best option I should go for!

Thanks.
Old 5th April 2017, 03:00   #8163
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishrathi88 View Post

Thanks.
XM2 from michelin are the best ones. I recently got them for my spark too, after a lot of comparison between bridgestones and goodyears. I suggest checking and calling some tyre shops near you. And don't worry about including wheel alignment and nitrogen. Its barely a few hundred bucks. I searched a lot for the best price and Rana tyres in Karol bagh gave me the best deal. Do look them up

Cheers
agambhandari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2017, 08:06   #8164
BHPian

Quote:
My car being 6 year old and low on mileage has developed cracks on tire's sidewall which makes me wonder that they are no more safe to drive at triple digit speed and specially in Delhi summers.
Pretty much why I changed the shoes on my Civic.

Quote:
I would like to stick to the OEM spec 195/65 R15 to save my self from the huge cost of suspension and engine mounting overhaul which comes as a freebie along with tire upsizing specially in Delhi NCR roads.
I did the same, stayed stock and got Bridgestone Turanza ER300, but selected those specifically for their ability to handle wet weather, which is a major requirement here, probably not so much in Delhi.

The Michelin Energy XM2s are pretty good too (at 6.2k and considering the car was using Michelin, might be the best for you), the dealer was also recommending Michelin Primacy 3ST, which is a new(?) tyre introduced by them, but I found the Turanza better in terms of side wall.

And to stay OT - been 7 years since I bought my Civic thanks to all the feedback of TBHP members, happy to report it was probably the best decision for me. Avg annual maintenance has been around Rs.8000/yr including oil / coolant / etc. The tyres have been the first major expense.

I am thinking of changing the headlight bulbs, these are not really effective anymore, inspite of getting the polishing done, any recommendations?

Last edited by mwzd : 5th April 2017 at 08:07.
mwzd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2017, 08:32   #8165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwzd View Post
I am thinking of changing the headlight bulbs, these are not really effective anymore, inspite of getting the polishing done, any recommendations?
In halogen type, you can go for Osram Night Breaker Unlimited as they are both available in 9005 and 9006 type (high and low beam). These are really good as i have been using the same in my KTM RC390 and Swift MY 2012 as well.

The only downside of these bulb is relatively shorter life since the filament runs on bit higher temperature compared to stock halogens but are much closer to daylight.

If you want to upgrade to LEDs or HIDs, the cost of the upgrade would be sky high as a single beam (high/low) would cost upward 10K if you go for Philips or Osram make.
ashishrathi88 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2017, 09:43   #8166
BHPian

Quote:

4) Hankook - INR 5500/pc

Out of these, Yokohama and Hankook come with 5 Yrs warranty and rest two come with 3 yrs. Warranty. The dealer was however pushing me Hankook ones.

I would also like to quote that the stock OEM tires that came along with spare were Michelin.

Thanks.
My car is 120,000 kms. Came with michelins XM2 as stock. Replaced them at 60K kms with Michelin Primacy LC.
Again recently, replaced them with Michelin Primacy 3ST

I would stick to michelin. They are quiet, last long and give a nice soft ride. In my previous cars, I have used bridgestone adn Hankook, but they are no match for Michelins. This is my opinion.
Got it for 6200 per piece in gurgaon, includes alignment, balancing(without weights) and nitrogen
Buy back 1000 rupees for 3 tyres primacy LC plus the old spare XM2.
They may add another 100 per piece for valves. I don't know if you can use the valves from the existing tyres and save some money.
All prices are in Gurgaon.
Rgds
VineetG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2017, 09:49   #8167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearce634 View Post
Right,

Thanks for the help guys. I'll look into the suggestions and keep this thread updated with the progress.
A few more things though;

1. Can anyone suggest a good mechanic in Delhi who can take care of the repair work with high standards and reasonable prices?

2. I failed to mention this before--during cold starts in the summer, a loud, brief, hissing sound accompanies the start of the engine; it's not pleasant, I have to say, but after driving around for a while (that is, after the engine has sufficiently warmed up), the hissing sound disappears, even when I restart the engine multiple times. What could be the source of this issue, and should I be worried about it?

3. Can someone give me tentative costs of the following jobs;
a. Clutch master and slave cylinder replacement,
b. Spark plugs replacement (which to use for Honda Civic? When I got them replaced I paid around Rs. 80 for one spark plug; if need me I am ready to upgrade to better components....)

Thanks all!
1) I use Heera Motors Gurgaon, near Iffco Chowk, an excellent mechanic to take care of my civic. I trust him completely.
2). Please do check power steering fluid level. I had a similar problem, and the culprit was low PS level. There was a leak.
3) c: Honda OEM plugs are NGK , and cost around 1100 a piece in India. I got them from US at half the price. Heera Motors had one set with him. The 80 Rs. plugs are not good. The Civic plugs last for atleast 100,000 kms

Rgds
VineetG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2017, 11:57   #8168
BHPian

Quote:
makes me wonder that they are no more safe to drive at triple digit speed and specially in Delhi summers.
They're too old in the tooth for being driven around at any speed. Foremost should be safety for yourself and other road user's.

I've been running 195/65/R15 Yokohama Earth 1 for the past 25,000 kms. Good silent tyres with decent comfort. Average running life on Yoko's I've seen is north of 55,000 kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwzd View Post
I am thinking of changing the headlight bulbs
I've been using Philips Extreme Vision HB5 and HB6 on my car for the past 2 years. Much better visibility. There is a newer Extreme Vison Plus variant on the market now. The colour temperature is 3700K.

Last edited by WasavaTyres : 5th April 2017 at 12:06. Reason: Punctuation.
WasavaTyres is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2017, 13:16   #8169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasavaTyres View Post

I've been using Philips Extreme Vision HB5 and HB6 on my car for the past 2 years. Much better visibility. There is a newer Extreme Vison Plus variant on the market now. The colour temperature is 3700K.
I am using Philips Extreme Vision Plus bulbs on my stock headlamps and the throw from both Low and high beams is much better, compared to stock Osram Sylvania halogen bulbs.

Regards
Kunal

Last edited by kunal_kaushal : 5th April 2017 at 13:18.
Old 5th April 2017, 15:45   #8170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunal_kaushal View Post

The plastic latch of armrest is around 175 rupees at HASS.

Regards
Kunal
Thanks a lot ! I got this done at HASS. The part itself was 120-ish rupees.
coolvenk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2017, 15:49   #8171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolvenk View Post
Thanks a lot ! I got this done at HASS. The part itself was 120-ish rupees.
I am glad that I could be a little help to you, Mate.

Regards
Kunal
kunal_kaushal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2017, 08:28   #8172
BHPian

Is anyone also facing this issue!

The power window panel is looking like an eyesore and spoiling the complete interior styling of the car.

Has any one replaced it. If done so, what is the cost of the same or (repainting + clear coat) will be a good option.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-1491447240364.jpg  

Old 6th April 2017, 09:48   #8173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is anyone also facing this issue!

The power window panel is looking like an eyesore and spoiling the complete interior styling of the car.

Has any one replaced it. If done so, what is the cost of the same or (repainting + clear coat) will be a good option.
I'd gotten this repainted. The cost of repainting would be around Rs 250-300 each.
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2017, 11:23   #8174
Senior - BHPian

I got these from Aliexpress in 3 weeks. They however are not a perfect fit and are able to secure the right fender trim okish but the left side which holds the water dispencer is still loose. I would recommend tree type clips if anyone is ordering. Received 50 clips will need to see if i can put them to use in other places.

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img_20170408_001248.jpg
sumeethaldankar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2017, 22:33   #8175
BHPian

Quote:

So the search had begun today to find a new set of shoes for her.

Just went to Noida Sector 16 Car market to do a brief recce on the brands available.

4) Hankook - INR 5500/pc

The prices quoted above were without any negotiation since I was short of time.

The price however included wheel alignment, balancing and free Nitrogen filling.

Thanks.
After a lot of window shopping during the weekend, finally installed Michelin Primacy 3ST (manufactured late 2016) in all 4 rims.

The tires come with 3 years digitally registered warranty for which a text message comes from Michelin India quoting the warranty number hence automatically verifying the genuineness of tires.

The end call was based on the logic that tires are the ONLY car component that is in contact with tarmac.

So for the sake of saving a few hundred bucks per tire and compromising on the most important part would not a wise decision.

Though Primacy 3ST were the costliest among the lot even more than XM2's, but they are really worth it by being Super Silent (hence the acronym "ST") even at triple digit speed and offering phenomenal traction even though the tires are in run-in period.

The only downside I feel is that the sidewall is soft which would not be suitable for driving on poor tarmac.

That is not a worry in my case since I would be using the car mainly for NH2 runs which is a butter smooth highway.

Most Viewed