Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2018, 17:52   #8911
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@iTNerd; I quite like your selection. What were the damages. I am sure it save a fair bit on the Mobil1 0W40. Please let us know, and sources!
Last time I sourced it for Rs 3750 for a friend. I was happy with the Idemitsu - had paid Rs 1700 for it at Industrybuying.

Although, Industrybuying has been listing the idemitsu as out of stock of late.
Old 13th January 2018, 12:20   #8912
BANNED

I am planning to change the clutch. While exedy seems to be the OEM replacement, FNG mech prefer Valeo, as Valeo seems to be softer than exedy.

Any suggestions ?
Old 13th January 2018, 12:49   #8913
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swageo View Post
I am planning to change the clutch. While exedy seems to be the OEM replacement, FNG mech prefer Valeo, as Valeo seems to be softer than exedy.

Any suggestions ?
Even my FNG suggested the same. Don't have experience as my change was with exedy. Since my first change was at 123K, I really do not know when I will experience a valeo change
laluks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2018, 19:44   #8914
Senior - BHPian

When is the right time to change the serpentine belt and idle tensioner as a preventive maintenance ? At 11 years old I am conerned the belt failing while driving.
Old 13th January 2018, 22:26   #8915
BANNED

I bought excedy clutch from a well known shop. But could see mark of release bearing on pressure plate

Is it normal on a new pressure plate ? Or could it be used !. Friction plate looks new
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img_20180113_221004019.jpg  

swageo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2018, 22:35   #8916
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Even my FNG suggested the same. Don't have experience as my change was with exedy. Since my first change was at 123K, I really do not know when I will experience a valeo change
I guess we are talking about same FMG

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 14th January 2018 at 11:48.
Old 14th January 2018, 11:37   #8917
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swageo View Post
I bought excedy clutch from a well known shop. But could see mark of release bearing on pressure plate

Is it normal on a new pressure plate ? Or could it be used !. Friction plate looks new
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post4316070

Refer the above link to sumeethaldankar's post on Clutch/Pressure plate change of his car, the condition on pressure plate looks visually identical.

Seems like it's just the way like this only.

The marks look like they are made during QC process when they are inspected for any premature failure.

Last edited by GTO : 15th January 2018 at 08:56. Reason: Name corrected.
ashishrathi88 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2018, 13:03   #8918
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishrathi88 View Post
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post4316070

Refer the above link to Sumeetal Dhankar's post on Clutch/Pressure plate change of his car, the condition on pressure plate looks visually identical.

Seems like it's just the way like this only.

The marks look like they are made during QC process when they are inspected for any premature failure.
Thanks, will post how I feel after I change it... !
Old 14th January 2018, 13:18   #8919
Senior - BHPian

Got the car back from a minor paint job. The check engine light is staying on. I suspect someone double cranked the car ie cranked the car while it was still running. I hope it goes away by morning else I will have to run to Honda again tomorrow Same thing had happened to me on the first day when I bought the car. The engine light remained on on the first day of purchase since I double cranked it. It went away the next day but I hope it goes away now as well. Keeping fingers crossed.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2018, 11:35   #8920
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Got the car back from a minor paint job. The check engine light is staying on. I suspect someone double cranked the car ie cranked the car while it was still running. I hope it goes away by morning else I will have to run to Honda again tomorrow Same thing had happened to me on the first day when I bought the car. The engine light remained on on the first day of purchase since I double cranked it. It went away the next day but I hope it goes away now as well. Keeping fingers crossed.
Hi, Try to disconnect the battery for a minute, and re-connect it.

I had the check engine light coming in once i cleaned the MAF with alcohol spray. Went away after the above procedure.

Surprising that check engine light comes up on double cranking. I have committed this mistake more than once, but the light never came up. Blame it on the super silent civic engine

Could it be something else?

rgds

Last edited by VineetG : 15th January 2018 at 11:35. Reason: grammatical mistake
VineetG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2018, 18:39   #8921
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Honda got back saying that there is no issue for now. They did a test drive and the light did not come back after a HDS scan. All good for now. Will get the car back tomorrow after a service. Used Uber for the first time in my life. Decent experience but I still miss my Civic.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2018, 08:10   #8922
BHPian

My toy is a 1.8 V MT of 2008.

1. Does this have OBD 2?

2. Can I use a HUD with my Civic - like this one: https://www.amazon.com/AutoLover®-Wi...MVYESP0SE2X2R8

3. Where can I find detailed instructions on this?

Thanks in advance.
Old 16th January 2018, 10:24   #8923
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempelhof View Post

Since it connects via OBD 2 , yes you can. In fact if you search this thread I think there was a fellow BHPian from Delhi who's used this.
WasavaTyres is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2018, 17:51   #8924
BHPian

Quote:
When is the right time to change the serpentine belt and idle tensioner as a preventive maintenance ? At 11 years old I am conerned the belt failing while driving.
I had a similar doubt a few months back, when I asked the SA he said that during every routine-service they check if it is okay(part of their check-list). So it will not fail abruptly. Took his word for it.
manim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2018, 18:53   #8925
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
I had a similar doubt a few months back, when I asked the SA he said that during every routine-service they check if it is okay(part of their check-list). So it will not fail abruptly. Took his word for it.
The owner manual should tell you when it needs replacing. Typically these components are replaced during routine preventive maintenance. Depending on your car/engine it could be a different intervals, on most cars anywhere from 50-100K

Whereas it does make sense to visually inspect these it is by no means a guarantee. By the time a belt starts really showing it's wear and tear nobody will be able to predict how much longer it will hold.

Noises, either from the belt or the tensioner are a good indication as well. Although on some engines tensioners are known to make a racket but last for years . (Jaguar 4.0L and 4.2L V8 are known for this, and it's worse in damp/wet weather, but they will continue to last.

So again, check you manual what is says and stick to that, unless there are clear indications to replace earlier.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks