Team-BHP > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2018, 11:36   #9001
Senior - BHPian
 
coolkurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,562
Thanked: 1,676 Times
Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
In most of the countries the change interval is 1 lakh kilometers, for India proactively Honda has advised 40K.

I had taken a chance and had a test. The only time I changed it was in 40K.
My fuel filter was also changed at 60k and I've gone more than 1 lakh kms without replacement. I've been advised that it isn't mandatory and more of a precaution. I tried to source it from outside but I've been unable to do so. My HASS didn't have it in Stock.
coolkurt is offline  
Old 28th February 2018, 11:45   #9002
Distinguished - BHPian
 
laluks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 6,551
Thanked: 16,132 Times
Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Guys having above problem. Any help appreciated. Switched off car for five minutes and restarted. Stuck idle resolved but CEL is on. Taking car to Honda tomorrow.
If the stuck idle is resolved, try simulating 5 drive cycles. The logged fault will get cleared, if the stuck idle was the primary cause.
laluks is offline  
Old 1st March 2018, 22:36   #9003
Senior - BHPian
 
sumeethaldankar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,734
Thanked: 2,835 Times
Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Guys having above problem. Any help appreciated. Switched off car for five minutes and restarted. Stuck idle resolved but CEL is on. Taking car to Honda tomorrow.
TB was cleaned and idle learning done. Error code which was decoded as high voltage to accelerator sensor was deleted. Normal for now but have lost confidence in the car.
sumeethaldankar is offline  
Old 2nd March 2018, 08:58   #9004
Distinguished - BHPian
 
R2D2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,210
Thanked: 5,607 Times
Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
TB was cleaned and idle learning done. Error code which was decoded as high voltage to accelerator sensor was deleted. Normal for now but have lost confidence in the car.
Were they able to identify the root cause for the error code?

Clearing the error code isn't enough. Finding the cause is important since if you can't trace it this problem could recur.
R2D2 is offline  
Old 5th March 2018, 10:48   #9005
Distinguished - BHPian
 
saket77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ranchi
Posts: 4,146
Thanked: 10,496 Times
Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Had a 400 km drive spanning over 2 days in the Civic. It was as graceful as ever. Returned about 14.5 KMPL including some ghat section climbs and some city runabouts.

Just noticed some judder/ vibrations while braking in the range of 100 KMPH. The judder is for a short time and only on the steering wheel and not on the pedals. Any advice what it could be? I am thinking mainly of caliper pins and stabiliser bar bushes.

Thanks in advance,
Saket
saket77 is offline  
Old 5th March 2018, 11:49   #9006
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NCR / Kol
Posts: 1,099
Thanked: 1,846 Times
Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

I am keen on buying a civic hopefully soon. Have shortlisted 2 cars. Pristine condition for both, one 2009 and the other 2011, both VMT and run below 30k KMS. The difference in price is about 50k. Both cars are between 3-4L range. My friend who is an avid car enthusiast 'and you can say has a PhD in Hondas ' will be checking them out for me, and has a civic himself. However just curious what are the things I need to check and make sure.

Last edited by Altocumulus : 5th March 2018 at 11:53.
Altocumulus is offline  
Old 5th March 2018, 12:28   #9007
BHPian
 
manim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: TN69
Posts: 813
Thanked: 867 Times
Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Just noticed some judder/ vibrations while braking in the range of 100 KMPH. The judder is for a short time and only on the steering wheel and not on the pedals.
Whenever I had this problem I have changed the front brake discs and pads.
Expensive, but safe (no compromising on braking).
(I think so far I have done this twice, I need to check my old records).

There are cheaper solutions like skimming the disc as many have done on this thread.

How much kms have you done with the current set of discs and pads ?

Last edited by manim : 5th March 2018 at 12:29.
manim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2018, 15:06   #9008
Distinguished - BHPian
 
saket77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ranchi
Posts: 4,146
Thanked: 10,496 Times
Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
Whenever I had this problem I have changed the front brake discs and pads.
Expensive, but safe (no compromising on braking).
(I think so far I have done this twice, I need to check my old records).
There are cheaper solutions like skimming the disc as many have done on this thread.
How much kms have you done with the current set of discs and pads ?
But won't a deflection on brake disc also show on pedals?

Thanks.
saket77 is offline  
Old 5th March 2018, 20:25   #9009
BHPian
 
manim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: TN69
Posts: 813
Thanked: 867 Times
Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
But won't a deflection on brake disc also show on pedals?
I don't remember. Maybe since the brake is hydraulically connected, the vibrations are filtered.

But the steering clearly vibrates when braking at speeds.

From my records, they were replaced twice:
1) 40,429 kms, April-2009
2) 1,16,207 kms, October-2012

Present odo is at 1,64,000+ kms
manim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2018, 20:59   #9010
Senior - BHPian
 
sumeethaldankar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,734
Thanked: 2,835 Times
Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
I am keen on buying a civic hopefully soon. Have shortlisted 2 cars. Pristine condition for both, one 2009 and the other 2011, both VMT and run below 30k KMS. The difference in price is about 50k. Both cars are between 3-4L range. My friend who is an avid car enthusiast 'and you can say has a PhD in Hondas ' will be checking them out for me, and has a civic himself. However just curious what are the things I need to check and make sure.
Full service history from day one, engine mounts, power steering rack pump and hose leakage, ac cooling coil are signature problems with the Civic. Rest like suspension, clutch etc are common to all cars.

Make sure you get service details from Honda and not the car seller.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 5th March 2018 at 21:01.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2018, 22:00   #9011
Distinguished - BHPian
 
R2D2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,210
Thanked: 5,607 Times
Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
But won't a deflection on brake disc also show on pedals?
Those deflections and resultant pulses in the pedal can also be due to the ABS kicking in when braking at high speed even on perfectly normal tarmac.

The only way to be absolutely sure is to measure the rotor run-out and thickness every 30-40K kms. Quick way to check is the 'lip' on the outer rim of the rotor just above where the pads contact it. If it is too deep get the rotors checked. You can do this test without removing the wheel. Just push your hands through the gaps in the wheels and run your thumb nail against the rotor's outer circumference. Scored rotors are also a no-no.

I am hunting for a nice brake set comprising of pads and discs (Brembo? Bosch?) for my Altis and do not mind spending in advance AKA pro-actively in industry parlance. My car came with the Bosch brake system (ABS, rotors, calipers and pads) from the factory and the OEM supplied Bosch pads are really very good at dropping speed.

The Bosch aftermarket ones are a fraction of the cost just Rs 1570 for a set of front brake pads against about 5-10K for the OEM parts depending on whom you ask. Online spare sellers quote about 5K for 'Thailand made Toyota original' parts but I think they are fakes made in China and stamped with the T logo. For e.g. here: China made 'genuine' fakes Note the packaging photos. That one year warranty is laughable.


Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
I don't remember. Maybe since the brake is hydraulically connected, the vibrations are filtered. But the steering clearly vibrates when braking at speeds.

From my records, they were replaced twice:
1) 40,429 kms, April-2009
2) 1,16,207 kms, October-2012

Present odo is at 1,64,000+ kms
The first set @ 40K kms and 2nd set 70K kms later. Did you change your driving style as the car got older?

Last edited by R2D2 : 5th March 2018 at 22:06. Reason: added reply
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2018, 12:42   #9012
BHPian
 
manim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: TN69
Posts: 813
Thanked: 867 Times
Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
The first set @ 40K kms and 2nd set 70K kms later. Did you change your driving style as the car got older?
Yes!

This question brings back old memories:
This was my first AT, and having previously owned a first-gen Honda-City-1.5 which was 'throttle-happy', it took some time to learn to drive the Civic-AT, particularly to make the vtech to kick-in for fuel-efficiency.

Also as I got older (and more matured!) and became a 'hyper-miler', tried to achieve the best fuel-efficiency, and one of those techniques was to avoid braking as much as possible. Some of those techniques may be illegal and unsafe!

I went to this extreme: If I wanted to stop for a piss break on the highway, I put the AT in 'N' mode and slowly rolled to a stop without braking. If I knew a speed-breaker is coming up I will time it so that car comes to the proper speed to take it without braking. Of course this drove the passengers (my family) crazy!

I had achieved the following FE:
(I maintain a spreadsheet, and always fill full-tank).

Best:
18.0 kmpl for 885 kms (accuracy of full-tank method improves as more kms are covered over many fillings).

Here is the life-time FE:
year-1 10.5 kmpl for 23,567 kms
year-2 12.0 kmpl for 18,537 kms
year-3 13.4 kmpl for 21,240 kms
year-4 13.5 kmpl for 22,974 kms
year-5 13.3 kmpl for 22,630 kms
year-6 13.3 kmpl for 19,205 kms
year-7 10.6 kmpl for 4,380 kms
year-8 10.5 kmpl for 8,394 kms
year-9 11.4 kmpl for 9,480 kms
year-10 11.3 kmpl for 10,153 kms

Life-time average is 12.15 kmpl for 1,64,727 kms.

Nowadays I don't have much driving to do.
Maybe at a future date it will and with a new car (hopefully a latest-gen Civic again) I might break my previous records!
manim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2018, 13:12   #9013
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 232
Thanked: 347 Times
Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
Yes!


Best:
18.0 kmpl for 885 kms (accuracy of full-tank method improves as more kms are covered over many fillings).

Here is the life-time FE:
year-1 10.5 kmpl for 23,567 kms
year-2 12.0 kmpl for 18,537 kms
year-3 13.4 kmpl for 21,240 kms
year-4 13.5 kmpl for 22,974 kms
year-5 13.3 kmpl for 22,630 kms
year-6 13.3 kmpl for 19,205 kms
year-7 10.6 kmpl for 4,380 kms
year-8 10.5 kmpl for 8,394 kms
year-9 11.4 kmpl for 9,480 kms
year-10 11.3 kmpl for 10,153 kms

Life-time average is 12.15 kmpl for 1,64,727 kms.

Nowadays I don't have much driving to do.
Maybe at a future date it will and with a new car (hopefully a latest-gen Civic again) I might break my previous records!
Hi,
Awesome that you maintain such discipline while keeping track of fuel consumption. Better than many of those fuel consumption displays in newer cars now.

What happened between year 6& 7? Why did the average go down so drastically?

Rgds
VineetG is offline  
Old 10th March 2018, 11:12   #9014
BHPian
 
manim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: TN69
Posts: 813
Thanked: 867 Times
Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by VineetG View Post
What happened between year 6& 7? Why did the average go down so drastically?
Lifestyle changes, to avoid driving as I get older, etc,

The earlier years I had a lot of 4-lane driving so got good FE.
Later years, the car was mostly sitting idle with many short drives so low FE.

Nowadays I find it better to avoid the stress on our roads with very poor safety standards and to take the train/flight/bus as much as possible.
manim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2018, 16:05   #9015
BHPian
 
Asish_VK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Bangalore-Kochi
Posts: 450
Thanked: 1,742 Times
Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

It's getting so tempting to buy a used Civic now by looking the the mouth watering prices being asked.

I always used to drool over the Civic (Still does) for its looks alone. For me it is one of the best looking cars ever sold in India, and still maintains its charm.

The question is how good a decision will it be to buy a Used civic now ? (Post 2009-10 models)

The Car should replace a Hyundai Eon (5+ years old) which did slightly less than 25K Kms in 5 Years and will be used mostly out of city (Free roads with inclines and twists) .
Civic should do the family car duty back at native (Approx 5K Km per year), so that I can use the Eon at Bangalore traffic.


My concerns are: (With the age of the car in mind)

Will it be a trouble to maintain an expensive car (at the launch) , related to spare parts and Honda service costs etc ?

Insurance and other costs , will it be so high ?

How reliable will be the car, if I take it to longer rides ? say Kochi to Bangalore?

Upto what ODO reading should be fine ? (I have seen many cars with 1.5 Lakh kms and many with 50-75K Kms on ODO)

What all will be the immediate possible expenses one can expect after purchase ?

Could the experts suggest ?
Asish_VK is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2022, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks