Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2018, 09:39   #9076
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
I'm having an overheating issue. The temperature bar jumped to red yesterday. When I opened the bonnet, the coolant reservoir was hot and the coolant was overflowing. After a check, I also found out that the radiator fan is not kicking in. The radiator fan is working only when the AC is on. The fuse is fine. We tried to do a direct connection and the fan still didn't switch on. It works when the AC is on though. Now the car overheats very quickly and starts spewing coolant from the reservoir. What could be wrong?
Not the head gasket. If it was faulty you would find discoloured engine oil and bubbling in the radiator when you remove the cap.

Fan seems to be mechanically sound since it switches on with the AC. Check the temperature sensor and thermostat valve. One or both could be faulty. How many years has it been since you did a complete coolant system flush?
Old 18th May 2018, 09:42   #9077
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Not the head gasket. If it was faulty you would find discoloured engine oil and bubbling in the radiator when you remove the cap.

Fan seems to be mechanically sound since it switches on with the AC. Check the temperature sensor and thermostat valve. One or both could be faulty. How many years has it been since you did a complete coolant system flush?
It's been 2 years. I think I'll have to do that. And get the radiator cleaned. The FNG guy is saying a choked radiator could also be the reason the Dan isn't kicking in. I'll also get the Temperature sensor and thermostat valve checked.
Old 18th May 2018, 09:53   #9078
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It's been 2 years. I think I'll have to do that. And get the radiator cleaned. The FNG guy is saying a choked radiator could also be the reason the Dan isn't kicking in. I'll also get the Temperature sensor and thermostat valve checked.
Don't dismantle the radiator unless it's absolutely necessary. The thermostat valve and temp gauge can be easily checked by the FNG.

Do a cooling system flush with clean water, preferably distilled water (not battery water), and then refill with Honda coolant. Not sure if Honda OEM coolant is a concentrate or premix but I prefer the latter since there's no risk. Make sure the temp setting is to high so fresh coolant can circulate into the heating coil as well.

One more thing, please make sure the serpentine belt is not slipping. It generally drives the coolant/water pump.
Old 18th May 2018, 10:14   #9079
BHPian

I am facing new problem since summer is started.

In morning or evening time, car works smoothly. But during after noon time, when temperature is above 40 degrees, car idling is not smooth and many times car stalls on signals.

if i shut down AC them problem gets reduced a bit, but still can notice it.

can anyone point me the the problem source? This happens only during extreme hot weather time
Old 18th May 2018, 10:38   #9080
BHPian

Quote:
I'm having an overheating issue. The temperature bar jumped to red yesterday. When I opened the bonnet, the coolant reservoir was hot and the coolant was overflowing.

After a check, I also found out that the radiator fan is not kicking in. The radiator fan is working only when the AC is on. The fuse is fine. We tried to do a direct connection and the fan still didn't switch on. It works when the AC is on though.

Now the car overheats very quickly and starts spewing coolant from the reservoir.

What could be wrong?
What do you mean by direct connection ?

Do you have access to a OBDii scanner ? Even a basic ELM327 will work just fine.
Removing the temperature sensor on the engine won't switch ON the fan.

Temperature sensor #2 which is located on the radiator bottom is responsible for switching ON the Fan.
Check if it is blocked.
Old 18th May 2018, 10:47   #9081
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techcoze View Post
I am facing new problem since summer is started.

In morning or evening time, car works smoothly. But during after noon time, when temperature is above 40 degrees, car idling is not smooth and many times car stalls on signals.

if i shut down AC them problem gets reduced a bit, but still can notice it.

can anyone point me the the problem source? This happens only during extreme hot weather time
Get the spark plugs checked for any carbon soot or deposits and clean or replace them accordingly. Also get the air filter checked. It might be clogged.
vishy76 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2018, 12:32   #9082
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by interc00led View Post
What do you mean by direct connection ?
The radiator had leaks at multiple points. Getting it replaced. The sensor at the bottom of the radiator was blocked due to the coolant coagulation at the base with dust.

Last edited by ampere : 3rd June 2018 at 11:39. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Old 2nd June 2018, 07:04   #9083
Senior - BHPian

The last month turned out to be expensive, and the car was in and out of the FNG scores of times, making me wonder if it's really time to part with it.

Damages :

1. Coil change: Hitachi - Rs 8800
2. Iridium Spark Plugs - Rs 4000
3. Radiator change, thermostat valve replacement - Rs 4500
4. Hose change, electrical system repairs etc - Rs 3700
5. Minor leak from the rack. Havn't touched it as of now.

At 171000 kms now, I was contemplating whether I should say goodbye. But since she's back, it's been really smooth and fun to drive all over again.

So I've postponed my decision. Again.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 2nd June 2018 at 16:45. Reason: Removing emoticons from outside the forum.
coolkurt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2018, 12:27   #9084
BHPian

Quote:
The last month turned out to be expensive, and the car was in and out of the FNG scores of times, making me wonder if it's really time to part with it.

Damages :

1. Coil change: Hitachi - Rs 8800
2. Iridium Spark Plugs - Rs 4000
3. Radiator change, thermostat valve replacement - Rs 4500
4. Hose change, electrical system repairs etc - Rs 3700
5. Minor leak from the rack. Havn't touched it as of now.

At 171000 kms now, I was contemplating whether I should say goodbye. But since she's back, it's been really smooth and fun to drive all over again.

So I've postponed my decision. Again.
Dear Coolkurt,

All these "investments" made by you on on your Civic will add immortality to it already godly R18 engine.

These replacements have ensured that your car's engine is ready to inch towards the second lac milestone on the odo.

PS: Do not let anyone touch the steering rack unless the minor seepage in your case turns into actual leakage.

Happy mile crunching!!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 2nd June 2018 at 16:46. Reason: Quoted post edited.
Old 2nd June 2018, 15:29   #9085
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolvenk View Post
About the Power Steering Pump issue, has anyone successfully solved it, without replacing the entire assembly? The impression I got from folks in this thread is that attempting to overhaul it did not fix the problem or made it worse.

I currently have a minor leak. I top up the PS fluid, about once a week and it runs ok; the steering is a bit tight, but not unusably so. No significant noise or vibration yet. I have almost finished one PS fluid bottle in about 6 months of this jugaad.

Please get it addressed as soon as possible. A PS leak will result in oil spillage across the engine bay, softening the belts around it which may snap any time. It may be just a refill but looking at it, it will damage all possible rubbers everywhere.
Old 2nd June 2018, 15:55   #9086
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishrathi88 View Post
All these "investments" made by you on on your Civic will add immortality to it already godly R18 engine.
These replacements have ensured that your car's engine is ready to inch towards the second lac milestone on the odo.
Yeah that's what I thought. I think I'm going to clock 2,00,000 kms with ease, looking at the current condition of the car.

Anyone else crossed that magic figure?

Yeah. I'm taking it slow. My FNG guy said that it's an issue in the winters but it's pretty manageable in the summers as its a really minor leak.

Last edited by ampere : 3rd June 2018 at 11:40. Reason: Removing emoticons from outside the forum.; Trimmed quoted post
Old 2nd June 2018, 16:11   #9087
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yeah that's what I thought. I think I'm going to clock 2,00,000 kms with ease, looking at the current condition of the car.

Anyone else crossed that magic figure?

Yeah. I'm taking it slow. My FNG guy said that it's an issue in the winters but it's pretty manageable in the summers as its a really minor leak.
She can do more. I hope you keep her.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post4112489

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 2nd June 2018 at 16:47. Reason: Quoted post edited.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2018, 09:14   #9088
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
She can do more. I hope you keep her.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post4112489
Those are some great numbers. I'll try and get close

After the radiator fan debacle last week, the high speed fan stopped working. Thankfully I zeroed it down to a blown fuse. Now everything is perfect, for now.

I've got the following repairs done:

1. Clutch replacement at 90k ( Going strong at 172k)
2. PS pump replacement
3. PS hose, AC hose replaced
4. Both fan motors replaced, AC coil replaced
5. Radiator replaced
6. Coils replaced, Thermostat valve replaced
7. Last engine mount replaced at 110k ( still holding good)

I'm planning a trip to the mountains this month, in this 11+ year old car. I had been similarly wary last year but it went amazingly well.

On the highway, she brings the most amazing smile on my face. Will update 🙂
coolkurt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2018, 10:26   #9089
Senior - BHPian

Civvy can clock 4 to 5 lakhs if cared for, by then the chassis can be weak, not engine
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2018, 11:21   #9090

Quote:
Those are some great numbers. I'll try and get close
Hi

How much did the PS pump cost you? My civic has a minor leak. It is currently at 92K on the odo. Replacing the engine and transmission mounts this week. Trying to decide between a PS overhaul and OEM replacement. Please advise.

Last edited by ampere : 3rd June 2018 at 11:41. Reason: trimmed quoted post

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks