Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2018, 06:59   #9166
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishrathi88 View Post
"Ignorance can be tough"

Everyone used to advice me to keep the ORVMs folded specially the electric ones on my 2011 Civic.

I used to ignore them and today I noticed a "Grrrr" kind of noise from the LHS mirror. ......."Always keep the electric ORVMs folded (if Auto Folding feature is not there by default)".
Please continue using ORVM's and be safe driver.

Had similar issue three years back but had got it repaired from a shop in Nehru Place. Cost me similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
I never, ever open my ORVMs in the city & use them only on highways. Open ORVMs in city traffic is asking for trouble. Also, the mirrors are always folded when the car is parked. They cost Rs 18-19K a piece!
Is that cost of your safety?

Folding them while parking is okay but not using them in city is bad driving IMHO.

Changing lanes, taking left turn, reversing, checking for traffic behind you..... ORVM'S are a must use item for better driving.
sudev is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th August 2018, 09:24   #9167
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblackshark View Post
Where in mumbai did u get this done from?
I got it done from Milan Subway Santacruz. While coming from the service road from the western express highway towards Andheri, take the second left which is a narrow street. There is a small shop at the left side. They specialize in repairs of the mirror motors. The lane I am talking about is before the old Bridgestone tire shop (Bombay Tires) next to the flyover.

Edit: Kindly haggle with the price. Almost 2 years I had it done for 1500 bucks then.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 12th August 2018 at 09:25.
Old 12th August 2018, 09:37   #9168
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Is that cost of your safety? Folding them while parking is okay but not using them in city is bad driving IMHO. Changing lanes, taking left turn, reversing, checking for traffic behind you..... ORVM'S are a must use item for better driving.
@Sudev, Pune's traffic (like cities and towns in MH barring Mumbai) consists mainly of two wheelers that may or may not be seen in the RVM and OVRMs. They squeeze through gaps between vehicles at traffic stops and hit the mirrors in their anxiousness to get ahead of the queue.

When driving in the city I use the RVM **and** glance left and right before changing lanes. It's worked for me for the last 3.5 decades that I've been driving. Obviously the OVRMs are deployed on highways and overseas. But that habit of a quick glance before changing lanes or merging into traffic still applies. I do not depend 100% on the mirrors, they have their blind spots.

My Palio has already suffered broken mirrors several times as they don't fold back completely. The Toyota's OVRMs are way more expensive. I am not inclined to replace these expensive parts at regular intervals.

PS - Yeah I use OVRMs whilst reversing but at the same time look out the window.

Last edited by R2D2 : 12th August 2018 at 09:47. Reason: added PS
Old 12th August 2018, 12:50   #9169
BHPian

Quote:
I never, ever open my ORVMs in the city & use them only on highways.
Personally, I can never drive the Civic without ORVM's. Too many blind-spots since it is a large car.

I fold them only in rare cases for a few seconds when I have to inch through narrow passages.
Old 12th August 2018, 13:27   #9170
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
Personally, I can never drive the Civic without ORVM's. Too many blind-spots since it is a large car. I fold them only in rare cases for a few seconds when I have to inch through narrow passages.
The blind spots are more due to the design of the car rather than the dimensions.

Other than my Altis which has great visibility considering its size I have driven wide(r) cars like Accord, a Tata Safari and BMW/MB 5/E and 3/C class sedans in Pune without depending completely on the OVRMs. What works best for me is a combination of the mirror and checking traffic on all sides before changing lanes or direction. But the glance out the window is the final decision maker..not the mirror.

There have been many times where there have are two wheelers on the side but not visible in the OVRM or RVM. And given their small dimensions & manoeuvrability these guys move fast even in close proximity and overtake from the LHS. Once it so happened if I had not looked out the window before taking a left turn that scooter would have crashed into my vehicle. No prizes for guessing who gets blamed. So IMO it comes down to the size of the vehicle next to you. 4 wheelers and larger vehicles are easily seen in OVRMs. Not small 2 wheelers in urban traffic.

I do know people who can't do without them no matter what size of car they are driving. Guess we all develop our own driving methods and styles over the years.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2018, 22:51   #9171
BHPian

Quote:
The blind spots are more due to the design of the car rather than the dimensions.

I do know people who can't do without them no matter what size of car they are driving. Guess we all develop our own driving methods and styles over the years.
I was the guy who years back used to drive

1) 2004 Zen G10B having only RHS mirror factory fitted - no issues whatsoever

2) 2012 Swift Vxi with LHS mirror folded - not even a single incident *touchwood*

Today, I am the same guy who now can't drive any car (big or small) without the LHS mirror opened. I would say, I'm just used to the habit of using all 3 mirrors now.

Plus my Swift now has a reverse cam display on 7" touchscreen which adds to the convenience (which I really miss in Civic).

Guess what, as mentioned by R2D2, we get used to our own driving style!
ashishrathi88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2018, 23:11   #9172
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishrathi88 View Post
I was the guy who years back used to drive

1) 2004 Zen G10B having only RHS mirror factory fitted - no issues whatsoever
2) 2012 Swift Vxi with LHS mirror folded - not even a single incident *touchwood*
So I'll try and keep this post short.

Compare the size of those Swift and Zen OVRMs to the Honda's. That'll tell you why the Civic's ORVMs break so frequently.

The main difference whilst reversing a hatchback car and a sedan is the excellent visibility (especially whilst backing up) afforded by the former. It's so easy with a hatchback by comparison! In a sedan the headrests AND mainly the boot/dicky block your view. That's a large blind spot. Ditto with a SUV. We had a 'reversing mirror' fitted next to the spare tyre on our Safari.

A reverse camera is an ideal solution. But first I need to get a dashcam!

Last edited by R2D2 : 12th August 2018 at 23:22. Reason: typo
Old 16th August 2018, 12:54   #9173
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys, I was going through auto lighting and civic headlamp upgrade thread and noticed a few pics as well of some upgrades. However I noticed that for pass/headlight flashing people have posted only high beam to be on (when all lights are switched off) in a civic. However, in my car while flashing both Low and High beams flash. Is there something wrong or that's how it is in the later models (mine is a 2012 model). That's the reason I was looking for fast startup ballasts for the low beams.

Last edited by Altocumulus : 16th August 2018 at 12:55.
Old 17th August 2018, 09:09   #9174
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
Hi guys, I was going through auto lighting and civic headlamp upgrade thread and noticed a few pics as well of some upgrades. However I noticed that for pass/headlight flashing people have posted only high beam to be on (when all lights are switched off) in a civic. However, in my car while flashing both Low and High beams flash. Is there something wrong or that's how it is in the later models (mine is a 2012 model). That's the reason I was looking for fast startup ballasts for the low beams.
Yes, in some cars both beams come on during the pass/flash function.

In my car the HID (low) + halogen (high) come on. Not very good implementation IMO since HIDs take a bit of time to switch on to full brightness while halogens are instant. Frequent use of the flash switch may damage the HIDs.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2018, 09:14   #9175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, in some cars both beams come on during the pass/flash function.

In my car the HID (low) + halogen (high) come on. Not very good implementation IMO since HIDs take a bit of time to switch on to full brightness while halogens are instant. Frequent use of the flash switch may damage the HIDs.
Thanks for the confirmation. I was worried if there was frontal impact I didn’t know about since the car was lying unused for a long time and maybe sometime mended it with jugaad so that I don’t get to know about it. I create quite a ruckus if any thing happens even to the alto. The bulb sockets and size for both high and low beams are same, so I am getting a CN Light fast ballast. Let’s see how that performs.

Last edited by Altocumulus : 17th August 2018 at 09:16.
Old 17th August 2018, 17:31   #9176
Senior - BHPian

Hello Guys. The RHS axle boot of my Civic has cracked and all the grease has come out. Honda has quoted 13k for the same since they would be changing the kit which supposedly includes an axle bearing (which I presume is the CV Joint), grease and some nut. While driving down to Bangalore from Kolkata last week the car was swaying a bit at higher speeds, which at that time I thought was cross winds, but now I think it was the CV joint going kaput due to lack of grease. So is this that expensive ? The reason I am not going to an FNG is because the car is still in warranty.

Also Honda has recommended a clutch overall. The clutch has become hard no doubt but there are no issues with bite or slippage. The car pulls just fine. However there is creaking noise from the pedal after it is driven for sometime. Odo stands at a little less than 50k kms. I am driving to Delhi from Bangalore next week, do you think I need to change the clutch immediately or can I do that after a month or 2 in Delhi.
Old 17th August 2018, 21:05   #9177
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
Hello Guys. The RHS axle boot of my Civic has cracked and all the grease has come out. Honda has quoted 13k for the same since they would be changing the kit which supposedly includes an axle bearing (which I presume is the CV Joint), grease and some nut. While driving down to Bangalore from Kolkata last week the car was swaying a bit at higher speeds, which at that time I thought was cross winds, but now I think it was the CV joint going kaput due to lack of grease. So is this that expensive ? The reason I am not going to an FNG is because the car is still in warranty.

I can not comment on the price. But yes, when the boot gets torn, grease disappears and you would be very surprised how quickly bearings and joints wear down.

In many European countries with MOT like annual test, a torn boot usually means a MOT failure as it is considered unsafe.

Good luck

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2018, 00:01   #9178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
I can not comment on the price. But yes, when the boot gets torn, grease disappears and you would be very surprised how quickly bearings and joints wear down.

In many European countries with MOT like annual test, a torn boot usually means a MOT failure as it is considered unsafe.

Good luck

Jeroen
Thanks Jeroen. Got it done at Honda for INR 9600. For the clutch I sprayed Silicon spray over the cylinder near the pedal and it is much better now. So will be taking a call once I reach Delhi.
Old 24th August 2018, 10:02   #9179
SAS
BHPian

Yesterday the right hand side rear view mirror of my V-MT got hit and broke in the process. The housing has cracked and the turn indictator smashed. The adjustment and other things are working just the housing is cracked

Woukd I have to replace the entire rear view mirror or is the housing available? Any suggestions what I should do?
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img_20180824_095213.jpg  

Old 24th August 2018, 10:46   #9180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post

Good luck

Jeroen
I'd got the same repaired at my FNG 5 years back. I'd paid Rs 2500 at that time. No problem since then.

Most Viewed