Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2018, 03:28   #9211
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Did you do the change of suspensions? BTW where do you get Sachs in India? I tried googling and couldn't find a local dealer?

BTW, how come your civic is in Honda warranty still? Its been years Civic has been discontinued. What am i missing?
No I haven’t. I still have the warranty till Aug 2019. Will change that time. You can get them from Vikas of SparesandCare. I have been using his services for quite sometime for my Laura Tsi while in Bangalore and am pretty satisfied.

My civic is a 2012 manufactured one. Honda has the option of taking warranty till 7 years on its cars. It’s the last year running now.

Last edited by Altocumulus : 7th October 2018 at 03:32.
Altocumulus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2018, 12:24   #9212
Senior - BHPian

DIY - I recently retrofitted the auto dimming rear view mirror in my civic. Purchased it from Aliexpress https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Clea...27424c4dmuicxq

I hardwired it to power it when ignition is ON. Used the DRL fuse (37). Hardly took 15 mins.

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-11.jpg

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-22.jpg

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-33.jpg

If you do lot of night driving, its a must have.
iTNerd is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 10th October 2018, 09:25   #9213
Senior - BHPian

On the suspension change following are the list of things that have been suggested to be changed as well, any suggestions if i am missing something or changes things that are not really needed, please advise

Rack End TRW - 2800 (Pair)
Tie Rod End TRW - 2200 (Pair)
Control Arm TRW - 7400 (Pair)
Strut Mount Vir/Super Bond - 2940 (Pair)
Stab Link Front TRW - 1800 (Pair)
Stab Link Rear TRW - 1900 (Pair)
Sachs Rear Suspensions - 5200 (Pair)
Sachs Front Shocks - 6800 (Pair)

Total - 31,040 (31,700 Including Shipping)

Am i missing something, or can remove few things? Also does cost seems reasonable?

Any ideas, suggestions are welcome.
Old 24th October 2018, 01:42   #9214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On the suspension change following are the list of things that have been suggested to be changed as well, any suggestions if i am missing something or changes things that are not really needed, please advise

Rack End TRW - 2800 (Pair)
Tie Rod End TRW - 2200 (Pair)
Control Arm TRW - 7400 (Pair)
Strut Mount Vir/Super Bond - 2940 (Pair)
Stab Link Front TRW - 1800 (Pair)
Stab Link Rear TRW - 1900 (Pair)
Sachs Rear Suspensions - 5200 (Pair)
Sachs Front Shocks - 6800 (Pair)

Total - 31,040 (31,700 Including Shipping)

Am i missing something, or can remove few things? Also does cost seems reasonable?

Any ideas, suggestions are welcome.
This looks good and quite reasonable in my opinion based on the extent of changes. TRW and Sachs are both very good. I would say go with everything since individually the prices are not much except the lower arm which I would have anyways said to change. Not sure if the bushes are included in this, else you may need some bush kits. Btw where are you going to get the work done in Bangalore. If you are staying near Whitefield you can get it done at Bosch Service (Raghavendra Motors) in near Hoodi Circle. A little higher priced but they know their work and cheaper than company service centers.

Do let us know your feedback after the changes. I have already put money aside for this, just waiting for the warranty to be over.

Btw got the clutch changed and service done at Courtesy Honda, Okhla on my Civic and the bill was a whopping 36000 plus. They are 11000 as labor charges. Can someone please confirm that? I am planning to put in a complaint for the same because I think it's way too much for it.

Last edited by Altocumulus : 24th October 2018 at 01:55.
Old 25th October 2018, 16:54   #9215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
Do let us know your feedback after the changes. I have already put money aside for this, just waiting for the warranty to be over.
Yes got the suspensions changed, still early days of running. Will document full details on my ownership thread. Overall cost was 31700 + 4500 for fixing. The drive has become much better and stable, pot holes are now dispatched with a nice sounding thud. I can feel body roll much lesser, braking is much confidence inspiring and the front doesn't sag anymore on hard braking.

Will share more experiences later, here are some pictures.

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-20181018_075550.jpg

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-20181018_075456.jpg

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-20181018_075545.jpg

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-20181020_111936.jpg

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-20181020_111958.jpg

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-20181020_112032.jpg

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-20181020_112053.jpg
mayankjha1806 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th October 2018, 01:23   #9216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes got the suspensions changed, still early days of running. Will document full details on my ownership thread. Overall cost was 31700 + 4500 for fixing. The drive has become much better and stable, pot holes are now dispatched with a nice sounding thud. I can feel body roll much lesser, braking is much confidence inspiring and the front doesn't sag anymore on hard braking.
Awesome. Did you get the parts from Vikas ?

Maybe you should also check if the vertical movements due to the soft suspension has reduced with these struts on higher speeds. That would be added bonus. A friend of mine has used Kayaba(KYB) struts for his Civic and he is very happy with it as well.

I will be in Bangalore for couple of days mid November. Maybe we can meet up once if possible and get to see it first hand.

After a long time took a decent pic of my car though on the mobile, so thought of posting it.

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-photooutput.jpg

Last edited by Altocumulus : 26th October 2018 at 01:46.
Altocumulus is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th October 2018, 11:34   #9217
Senior - BHPian

Got the brake pads changed to Brembo for both front and rear. Ordered them directly from United Motors, Chennai who are the official importers for Brembo in India. The fronts were changed last year itself and had lot of life left and the rear ones had about 20%. However decided to change both and kept the front ones for backup later. Got the rotors cleaned with Wurth Brake Cleaner before changing the pads. Did not hear any squeeks or noise during the test drive or short drive home.

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img20181027wa0001.jpg

A pic of the car after the installation was done along with Bhpian jkds's purpose built Bolero 4WD.

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img20181027wa0000.jpg

One goes fast while the other goes anywhere
Altocumulus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2018, 19:36   #9218
Distinguished - BHPian

My Civic's rubber boot on the CV joint on both L & R sides have cracked. HASS says to replace the entire shaft even though there is no noise from the shafts at all.

Can I get good quality replacement from outside? Please let me know.

Thanks.
Old 9th November 2018, 23:21   #9219
Distinguished - BHPian

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
My Civic's rubber boot on the CV joint on both L & R sides have cracked. HASS says to replace the entire shaft even though there is no noise from the shafts at all.

The thing with CV joints, it is all or nothing. Either you do not hear them or you do. When you hear them they have to be replaced.

If the rubber boot was torn, the grease will disappear, water will ingress and your CV joint will be on its way out soon. In most countries that have a MOT regime a torn/damaged CV boot is an immediate failure.

So it really depends how long you have been driving around with this problem. A good mechanic can make a rough estimate by looking at the CV joint, water, rust, grease etc.

Even so, CV joints are not hugely expensive. So in all, it makes sense to replace them after the boots were torn. If anything just for piece of mind. Unless you are absolutely sure you have hardly put any mileage on the car with the boots torn, those CV joints are on their way out.

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 9th November 2018 at 23:23.
Jeroen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2018, 00:38   #9220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks.
Same thing happened to me. The right boot had cracked while replacing the wheel bearing. The next day I went on a drive from Kolkata to Bangalore. By the time I realized the damage, I was in Bhubaneshwar and the entire grease had caked the inside of the rim. I reached Bangalore and paid around 8k I think at Honda ASS just for one side.
Altocumulus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2018, 08:15   #9221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks.
You can always buy the boot from a good shop.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ml#post4103522 (Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos)

Mine got torn by my mechanic's mistake. It being Sunday no replacement was found. They did a quick fix by tying it up and used glue to fix the leak temporarily. I drove with a patched up boot for 300 kms the following week and got it fixed. My mechanic sourced the part. This happened at 86k kms and there was no sound of the CV joints because of the leak and the non OE part held till the car was sold at 113k kms.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2018, 12:22   #9222
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
When you hear them they have to be replaced. Even so, CV joints are not hugely expensive. So in all, it makes sense to replace them after the boots were torn. If anything just for piece of mind. Unless you are absolutely sure you have hardly put any mileage on the car with the boots torn, those CV joints are on their way out.
Hi Jeroen,

Thanks for your reply. As for your question, I am not sure how many miles I have put after they cracked. I noticed that 3-4 days ago while regular service when the car was on the lift. But for now, there seems to be no noise from the joints. Though I could see a lot of grease spill obviously. I'm avoiding driving it now until I replace the boots.

As for the CV joint, Honda drive shaft costs ~ 19K each side which I think is expensive, hence will try to retain the current system until it troubles. The inboard and outboard joints cost 12K & 6.5K which means better to get the entire drive shaft changed rather than just the CV joints.

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-untitled.png

Quote:
Same thing happened to me. The right boot had cracked while replacing the wheel bearing. The next day I went on a drive from Kolkata to Bangalore. By the time I realized the damage, I was in Bhubaneshwar and the entire grease had caked the inside of the rim. I reached Bangalore and paid around 8k I think at Honda ASS just for one side.
Hi. Thanks for the information on first hand experience. 8K was just for the boot replacement or you got the joints replaced too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
You can always buy the boot from a good shop.
Mine got torn by my mechanic's mistake. It being Sunday no replacement was found. They did a quick fix by tying it up and used glue to fix the leak temporarily. I drove with a patched up boot for 300 kms the following week and got it fixed. My mechanic sourced the part. This happened at 86k kms and there was no sound of the CV joints because of the leak and the non OE part held till the car was sold at 113k kms.
Thanks Sumeet. I am trying to source a quality replacement part (boot) & get it done outside, hoping that the joints are okay for now. Your car's joints holding up after cracked boot gives some reassurance

Thanks Gentlemen for your advice.

Regards,
Saket.

Last edited by saket77 : 10th November 2018 at 12:24.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2018, 12:42   #9223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks Sumeet. I am trying to source a quality replacement part (boot) & get it done outside, hoping that the joints are okay for now. Your car's joints holding up after cracked boot gives some reassurance

Thanks Gentlemen for your advice.

Regards,
Saket.
Spares hub has an cheaper option though it's after market in the worst case if needed. A boot of decent quality just costs 300 to 400 Rs. I am not sure but probably even a Honda City boot will do.

http:// https://spareshub.com/car-brands/honda.html#!/order=position&no_cache=true&newpartcategory=1978& p=1&carmodel=1831

Last edited by theMAG : 10th November 2018 at 18:38. Reason: Typo fixed. "ptobably"="probably"
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2018, 13:42   #9224
Senior - BHPian

The front wheel bearings of my civic conked off again in 3 months/6k kms. While going to Jaipur it was fine and I had a lot of fun with the car enroute, but while driving around in Jaipur later the noise started. Drove back in the same condition keeping speeds in check. The upside was an FE of 18+. I have a spare set of NTN Japan bearings which I will get fixed this week. Hopefully this will last.
Altocumulus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2018, 13:59   #9225
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have a spare set of NTN Japan bearings which I will get fixed this week. Hopefully this will last.
Will benefit us fellow Civic owners if you can share the bearing spec/ number along with the price.

By the way, how-come the current bearing gave up so early?

Thanks,
Saket

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks