Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2019, 17:56   #9286
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Hello, Request suggestion for wiper replacement.

I wanted to place a dashcam right below the rear view mirror and this would require increasing the wiper sweep area. Is it ok to place 26 size wiper in place of the default 24?

Thanks,
Sarath.
Old 2nd April 2019, 21:14   #9287
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
Hello, Request suggestion for wiper replacement.

I wanted to place a dashcam right below the rear view mirror and this would require increasing the wiper sweep area. Is it ok to place 26 size wiper in place of the default 24?

Thanks,
Sarath.
I think the standard wipers should be ok. Below is linky to my dash cam footage of the wipers for reference.

sumeethaldankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2019, 21:25   #9288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
I think the standard wipers should be ok. Below is linky to my dash cam footage of the wipers for reference.
Thank you. That's an interesting position to overcome the issue am facing. Is it possible to give a picture of the setup?
I was trying to place it just below the rear view mirror, like I did earlier.
Old 2nd April 2019, 21:45   #9289
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
Thank you. That's an interesting position to overcome the issue am facing. Is it possible to give a picture of the setup?
I was trying to place it just below the rear view mirror, like I did earlier.
Below is the link to my install.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...ml#post3698697 (Honda Civic Independence : CNG'd. EDIT: 1,13,000 km up and SOLD!)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-e...ml#post3706563 (Transcend DrivePro 200 Review - Dash Cam / DVR)

I sorely miss the car. I envy all you Civic owners.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 2nd April 2019 at 21:48.
Old 2nd April 2019, 21:51   #9290
Senior - BHPian

Thank you. Let me try this out one more time. I got an Aukey, so that has to go on the glass.
Yep, still holding on to mine. Pleasure to drive and one thing that helps keep going despite the mad traffic.
sarathlal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2019, 19:42   #9291
BHPian

Is anyone planning an upgrade to 10th Gen Civic?
Old 5th April 2019, 09:21   #9292
BHPian

Quote:

I sorely miss the car. I envy all you Civic owners.
That makes two of us, it is nearly 1 and half year since I parted with mine and guess what, still mad with myself for letting it go

Last edited by kunal_kaushal : 5th April 2019 at 09:23.
kunal_kaushal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2019, 09:54   #9293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunal_kaushal View Post
That makes two of us, it is nearly 1 and half year since I parted with mine and guess what, still mad with myself for letting it go
Me too. I wish I had not sold it. I was mad at the recurring costs. But it was still worth every penny spent. The smile and satisfaction it bought just looking at it parked at one's place. Nothing else will replace that. I even went on to change the ride bought after the Civic as I was not happy with it. I have now downgraded to a hatch back (Swift). That car is good in itself and I am quite happy with it but the Civic is a Civic. Nothing will beat it.
Old 5th April 2019, 12:19   #9294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Me too. I wish I had not sold it. I was mad at the recurring costs. But it was still worth every penny spent. The smile and satisfaction it bought just looking at it parked at one's place. Nothing else will replace that. I even went on to change the ride bought after the Civic as I was not happy with it. I have now downgraded to a hatch back (Swift). That car is good in itself and I am quite happy with it but the Civic is a Civic. Nothing will beat it.
My Civic is a 2012 and luckily Honda started offering year on year warranty till 7th year. Mine expires end of this month and I have to say its paid for itself superbly. I got loads of stuff changed in warranty: AC cooling coil, key transmitter. power steering pump, AC fan motor. etc. My car is at 74k kms now and cosmetically it does need some TLC thanks to it being chauffeur driven for my dad.

Only other thing that pains me is that it had a bad accident in 2016 due to no fault of ours but a traffic light jumping TAB cab. But Solitaire Honda Borivali did a fantastic job of bringing it back to shape again. I for one share a fantastic relationship with Solitaire Honda and they actually go out of their way to makes things good for me.

For now I plan to hold on to her till 1 lakh kms at least.. because its a brilliant car. After that let's see. The new Civic is definitely not a replacement for it..
Dippy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2019, 12:53   #9295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavan_hurkat View Post
Is anyone planning an upgrade to 10th Gen Civic?
Mine will be 12 years old this May-2019.
It is as usual silky-smooth and a pleasure on highways!

I don't have much driving to do nowadays and will keep this car till I start having problems. I was joking to a cousin of mine that I may beat his dad's record of owning one Ambassador for twenty-five years (in the seventies)!

Apart from the electronics/gadgets I believe the new one is not much of an upgrade over my old Civic which is still futuristic!

(My earlier car was a first-gen Honda-city-1.5 which I owned for 8+ years).
manim is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th April 2019, 12:12   #9296
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
Mine will be 12 years old this May-2019.
It is as usual silky-smooth and a pleasure on highways!

I don't have much driving to do nowadays and will keep this car till I start having problems. I was joking to a cousin of mine that I may beat his dad's record of owning one Ambassador for twenty-five years (in the seventies)!

Apart from the electronics/gadgets I believe the new one is not much of an upgrade over my old Civic which is still futuristic!

(My earlier car was a first-gen Honda-city-1.5 which I owned for 8+ years).
Yes. I totally agree with you. The 8th gen still feels futuristic as compared to be other cars and is still butter smooth to drive. The 10th gen has same tech specs as compared to 8th gen but with some electronic mods. I will love to own a 10th gen too, but it's too pricey right now. I will go for a pre-worshipped one after few years.
pavan_hurkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2019, 12:49   #9297
BHPian

A minor incident: after a long highway drive, parked my car, and when I saw it after about 4 hours, the rear-brake-lights were switched on. They would not go off. The car also would not start, the 4+ year old battery had drained completely. I phoned my SA who helped solve this problem temporarily.

There is a switch above the brake-pedal which is closed with a plastic stopper. Due to old-age (12 years) it had broken off. I inserted a cardboard to make the lights go off. Also since I owned a Bosch charger, it helped me charge the battery again fully.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...y-charger.html (Ownership Review: Bosch C7 Battery Charger)

Fortunately I had some work at Madurai, my HASS city which is 140 kms away from my house the very next day. Now the problem is permanently solved for a bill of just Rs.144. I also replaced my 4 years 3 months old battery as a precaution, with Exide MTRED45L for Rs.6,000 after exchanging the old one. HASS charged Rs.123 for this replacement.

Some offer was going on at the HASS where they give a free check-up and a water-wash for start of these summer holidays. This water-wash made my aircon better and the drive back on 4-lane at 40 deg heat was pure bliss!
manim is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2019, 13:53   #9298
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
A minor incident: after a long highway drive, parked my car, and when I saw it after about 4 hours, the rear-brake-lights were switched on. They would not go off. The car also would not start, the 4+ year old battery had drained completely. I phoned my SA who helped solve this problem temporarily.

There is a switch above the brake-pedal which is closed with a plastic stopper. Due to old-age (12 years) it had broken off. I inserted a cardboard to make the lights go off. Also since I owned a Bosch charger, it helped me charge the battery again fully.
Ditto! I had the same issue about 4-5 months ago during the last service. Just that I noticed it almost immediately after the plastic stopper gave up. Actually the interiors of the car was being cleaned by a vacuum cleaner/ air blower, when suddenly I saw the brake lamp lit up. I immediately inspected it (before my SA could turn up!) and found that the plastic button like stopper which actuates a push switch just above the brake pedal had disintegrated and was in pieces. I just put it down to fatigue failure due to age. HASS didn't have that stuff in store, hence a small nut/bolt arrangement was done to solve that issue, permanently.

By the way, I also replaced my Civic's battery a couple of months ago. Both the outgoing and incoming brand was Amaron Flo. Served me well for exactly 5 years. Paid Rs. 5300/- after exchange of old battery.

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th April 2019, 03:32   #9299
BHPian

Guys, which is best and genuine website to order spare parts for Civic? I tried Boodmo and had a pathetic experience.
Old 18th April 2019, 13:27   #9300
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickshots View Post
Hello civic fans

My car has just about crossed 76k and runs like a dream. It seems to be bottoming out a bit more than normal, plus a bit of squeak. That apart there is no bouncing around....My FNG guy is still inspecting the complete front and rear suspension but feels that front struts need replacement.

1. How can I tell for sure if struts need replacement or could it be mounts or coil overs? I have read some earlier articles on this from @lakuks and others, however Im still not clear.

2. If shocks do need replacement, do i change mounts too? What's a good place in chennai for genuine suspension parts n struts? I don't want to go for the Munjal showa OEM for 35K. Any reliable and cost effective alternatives?

Any thoughts and leads appreciated.

Regards,
Why not take the opportunity to upgrade the shocks completely. With additional ground clearance, the Civic can be kept for another 10 years!
2000rpm is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks