Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2024, 15:02   #10036
BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by pta320 View Post
The clutch release bearing of my 2011 Civic was making too much noise and it appeared to be at the brink of failure, so had to get the clutch assembly replaced.

However the vehicle is still sitting at HASS as after clutch replacement the master cylinder went out and clutch pedal would not rise. All efforts to bleed the clutch were futile so now the master and slave cylinder have to be replaced.

Overall total it is costing approx 34000 at HASS. Unexpected high bill for this car. I am now in dilemma whether to keep the car or sell it, any suggestion would be much appreciated for this. All in all, I have spent approx 2 lakhs on it in last two years for repairs which is simply very high for a Honda. My two older Toyota Corollas havent even costed me a fraction of this in repairs.
If you're very unhappy about the cost, I would say get it done at a competent FNG. The OE Exedy clutch kit would cost around 5.3k and the original release bearing would be around 2k I believe. Attaching links to both -

https://cartrends.in/products/22810p...a8bc1c1c&_ss=r

https://www.motrparts.com/shop/exedy...vic-hc542036u/

I haven't found any links for the CMC and the Slave cylinder, but my guess is if you add those two to the equation and the cost for labour, it would easily be around 20-25k. After you replace these, depending upon your usage, the clutch system is good to go for easily another 1L kms. My humble opinion is, this is worth spending if you are willing to keep the car for a long time, there are not many cars in the market below 20L that can match the experience the Civic gives when you drive it.
CzechItaliaMoto is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2024, 16:51   #10037
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Looks like the pushback spring in the master cylinder broke. This happens if your brake fluid is contaminated with water and this corrodes the parts in the clutch (& the braking) system. If a similar spring could have been sourced, this could have been repaired at a fraction of cost. Parts for Civic are expensive- just that they don't go bad often. Just out of curiosity, what works have been carried out in your car in last few years? If you have the patience to arrange for parts, you can consider getting some jobs done outside HASS, which work out to be much cheaper. In my experience, Honda ASC guys push for replacement of parts where reliable repairs can easily be done. For eg. they asked to change the entire brake caliper just for a 100 rupee leaking rubber seal in rear caliper which I got done elsewhere/ DIY. Ditto for axle boot- they asked to change entire driveshaft to address torn rubber boot which I got done outside again.

Recently, I went to a local FNG to get AC gas refilled fearing that Honda may ask me to change the compressor.
This is probably the first time I am getting work done at HASS since I am new to Bangalore and don't know any reliable FNG. I would have definitely considered sourcing salvaged master and slave cylinders but unfortunately I hardly get any free time and most places/salvage yards are far into the city in Bangalore which are inaccessible due to very bad traffic.

I remember clutch fluid never being replaced since the reservoir is separate from the brake reservoir but good point now noted that clutch fluid too should be replaced along with the brake fluid. Once I get my car back (if at all it gets repaired), I will myself inspect the old M/C and slave cylinders to see what was wrong. I was suspecting that weak old seals of the M/C cylinder were probably not able to hold the pressure required to depress the brand new clutch pressure plate so thought replacement is the only way out. I completely agree that workarounds could have been possible had the work been done outside.

I did enquire at a Bosch car service center for the clutch replacement, they quoted 12k for the clutch replacement with some cheap aftermarket throw out bearing so decided to visit the HASS to get the job done. Initial quote was 20k for only the clutch parts but now additional 12k is added to replace the cylinders.

Other than that the following works have been done, almost everything was done at FNG and things like spark plugs, drive belt, changing oil etc were DIY:

spark plugs, wheel bearings, new battery, brand new tyres, power steering pump repair, front and rear suspension bushes (still running original struts) and link rods, professional radiator cleaning, new AC compressor, engine mounts (main and gearbox one), front brake rotors and pads (Brembo), brake caliper pin repaired, transmission axle seal, drive belt changed twice. Regular oil changes with Amsoil or Mobil1.*

Overall expense has been close to 2 lakhs including several other nickel and dime expenses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CzechItaliaMoto View Post
If you're very unhappy about the cost, I would say get it done at a competent FNG. The OE Exedy clutch kit would cost around 5.3k and the original release bearing would be around 2k I believe. Attaching links to both -

https://cartrends.in/products/22810p...a8bc1c1c&_ss=r

https://www.motrparts.com/shop/exedy...vic-hc542036u/

I haven't found any links for the CMC and the Slave cylinder, but my guess is if you add those two to the equation and the cost for labour, it would easily be around 20-25k. After you replace these, depending upon your usage, the clutch system is good to go for easily another 1L kms. My humble opinion is, this is worth spending if you are willing to keep the car for a long time, there are not many cars in the market below 20L that can match the experience the Civic gives when you drive it.
The cartrends usually backorders your purchases and they take forever to source the parts if at all they are able to source, they will just show the items in stock but won't have any, they were not even able to source Honda OEM oil filter yet showing available on their website. Honda in India is playing dirty game by not sending parts to any other supplier hence only way to get genuine Honda parts is to either get the work done at dealership or import the parts which is going to be more expensive than dealership. Some dealers counter sale the parts but the same one from whom I sourced the parts is now denying saying that company has changed the rules and are very particular that no counter sale will happen.

If it would have only been the clutch (Exedy pressure and friction plate), I would have never visited Honda dealer to get the repairs done.

Also the master and slave clutch cylinders available aftermarket are not of that great quality in India. Very few good aftermarket ones like TRW etc are not available anywhere.
pta320 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2024, 17:00   #10038
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Just to clear the air, the clutch and brake systems share the same fluid- filler openings are different but reservoir is the same IIRC.
Old 8th February 2024, 17:31   #10039
BHPian

Quote:
... there are not many cars in the market below 20L that can match the experience the Civic gives when you drive it.
I can attest for that .... it is like a tank on the road (grip) with a very, very smooth drive - with excellent power and acceleration response, whenever required.
Tempelhof is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2024, 19:50   #10040
Distinguished - BHPian

Have an update to share. With a very heavy heart, I had to let go my civic today. Did not think that I would get emotional letting the car go but that’s what happened.

Owing a lot to this forum, I penned my feelings here: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...ml#post5723426 (The Story of Our Honda Civic | Long-Term Ownership Review)
Old 27th February 2024, 12:09   #10041
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Have an update to share. With a very heavy heart, I had to let go my civic today. Did not think that I would get emotional letting the car go but that’s what happened.

Owing a lot to this forum, I penned my feelings here: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...ml#post5723426 (The Story of Our Honda Civic | Long-Term Ownership Review)
It is quite sad to let go of a car you owned and cared for.
Just curious, did the car require major repairs that you had to let it go or it was some other reason?
And any plans for the replacement?
Looking forward to hear from you.
pta320 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2024, 13:17   #10042
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pta320 View Post
It is quite sad to let go of a car you owned and cared for.
Just curious, did the car require major repairs that you had to let it go or it was some other reason?
And any plans for the replacement?
Looking forward to hear from you.
Yup, still sad to let it go. It did not require any major repair except one rear suspension noise in bad roads. I guess it wasn't something that required big bucks to rectify, especially when done outside Honda.

Not in a hurry to replace as I have a Zen and i20 at disposal. Thanks for looking.

Regards.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th February 2024, 10:58   #10043
BHPian

Hi all, I came across an ad on OLX for a steering wheel taken off a UK Civic. My stock steering wheel has only Cruise Control buttons, not even volume controls. I have a Blaupunkt New York 750 as my HU. Please Advise whether I should buy it and try retrofitting it. Has anyone pulled this off successfully before on a Honda? VW retrofits are fairly simple, never seen one done on a Honda. Mine is a 2010 VMT FL

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-photo20231229115944.jpg
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-photo20231229115944-2.jpg
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-photo20231229115945.jpg
Old 29th February 2024, 19:18   #10044
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunSam View Post
Hi all, I came across an ad on OLX for a steering wheel taken off a UK Civic. My stock steering wheel has only Cruise Control buttons, not even volume controls. I have a Blaupunkt New York 750 as my HU. Please Advise whether I should buy it and try retrofitting it. Has anyone pulled this off successfully before on a Honda? VW retrofits are fairly simple, never seen one done on a Honda. Mine is a 2010 VMT FL

Attachment 2577681
Attachment 2577682
Attachment 2577683
You don't need the whole steering wheel, just the switches will be enough. They're available on Amazon.com for around 30-40 USD. If your head unit has pinouts for steering mounted controls, it is a pretty straightforward retrofit provided you get the diagram for your head unit as well.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ml#post4707788 (Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos)

Here's a link to the same retrofit done on stock HU I believe. Follow the exact instructions and it will work.

The stock Civic harness only has pinouts for Volume controls on the Indian version, so if you're planning to get that steering wheel and also get the Call and Info buttons working, you will have to search for that wiring diagram as well. Not too hard to find.

Last edited by CzechItaliaMoto : 29th February 2024 at 19:20.
CzechItaliaMoto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2024, 12:40   #10045
BHPian

Quote:
You don't need the whole steering wheel, just the switches will be enough. They're available on Amazon.com for around 30-40 USD. If your head unit has pinouts for steering mounted controls, it is a pretty straightforward retrofit provided you get the diagram for your head unit as well.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ml#post4707788 (Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos)

Here's a link to the same retrofit done on stock HU I believe. Follow the exact instructions and it will work.

The stock Civic harness only has pinouts for Volume controls on the Indian version, so if you're planning to get that steering wheel and also get the Call and Info buttons working, you will have to search for that wiring diagram as well. Not too hard to find.
Thank you so much, this will help quite a bit! The seller is selling the entire steering wheel for 6K, thats as much as just the volume control module (36770-SNA-A12). Where can I find these wiring diagrams?
Old 1st March 2024, 13:13   #10046
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunSam View Post
Thank you so much, this will help quite a bit! The seller is selling the entire steering wheel for 6K, thats as much as just the volume control module (36770-SNA-A12). Where can I find these wiring diagrams?
The relevant ones are already given in the post linked above. First picture is the connector present at the rear of your clockspring, and the second picture is the connector that belongs to the stock audio unit. When you installed your Blaupunkt HU, the installer would have used an adapter to connect to your head unit which fits the Civic.

Please confirm if the rear seat controls work for the Blaupunkt radio. Else, you will be stuck with just the new steering wheel with no extra functionalities whatsoever. If they don't work, I think you will need to buy an additional interface connector for the steering.

I am attaching a few links that may help you, but please do make sure that your Blaupunkt stereo actually supports steering mounted controls. I think they do, and they have some learning feature to map the buttons according to the functions.

One downside is, I haven't come across any post regarding the Call controls and Info controls. Maybe do some digging for that, and you'll have it in your hands. Easier method is to use a multimeter and check for continuity when you press the switch and the pinout.

Good luck.

https://www.tehnomagazin.com/Auto-ra...-Connector.htm

https://www.8thcivic.com/threads/com...65790/#replies

https://incartec.blob.core.windows.n...tions/3248.pdf

https://blaupunktcar.in/downloadpdf....6396127pdf.pdf
Old 1st March 2024, 13:18   #10047
BHPian

Thank you so much, this will be really helpful. Maybe I will give the steering wheel a pass and just get the audio controls. And no, the rear seat armrest controls have stopped working post the Blaupunkt HU install, however, the HU has the functionality to map buttons to features.
RunSam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2024, 19:53   #10048

Hi bhpians, I own a Civic 2013 VMT manual and enjoy every drive of this beauty . Recently I booked a Jimny 2023 model and I'm planning to upgrade it's tyres to bigger size. Stock tyres are 195/80/R15. Since the Civic tyre size is 195/65/R15 which is of less profile, will swapping the stock Jimny tyres to the Civic is advisable. I know it may have disproportionate look, by adding 2 inches of clearance. Just curious about this swapping, has anyone tried bigger profiles(greater than 65) on Civic? What are your opinion on this.Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-screenshot-20240417-192439.png

Last edited by KarthikK : 17th April 2024 at 20:20. Reason: Capitalized car names :)
Old 17th April 2024, 20:45   #10049
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderSree View Post
Hi bhpians, I own a Civic 2013 VMT manual and enjoy every drive of this beauty . Recently I booked a Jimny 2023 model and I'm planning to upgrade it's tyres to bigger size. Stock tyres are 195/80/R15. Since the Civic tyre size is 195/65/R15 which is of less profile, will swapping the stock Jimny tyres to the Civic is advisable. I know it may have disproportionate look, by adding 2 inches of clearance. Just curious about this swapping, has anyone tried bigger profiles(greater than 65) on Civic? What are your opinion on this.Attachment 2595455
I have a feeling that 195/80 R15 would be too big for the Civic. They will definitely scrape the wheel arches on both front and rear, definitely under load. Another problem would be stability. The car will feel "floaty" and not stable at speeds exceeding 100kmph. This will affect its behaviour on roads and spoil your experience of driving the Civic. Overall, my opinion would be a no for this mod.

Instead, get your brand new tyres exchanged at the same tyre shop you are buying the upgraded ones. They will definitely give you a good amount of money for it, would help in reducing the cost of your new set of tyres.
Old 17th April 2024, 21:05   #10050

Quote:
I have a feeling that 195/80 R15 would be too big for the Civic. They will definitely scrape the wheel arches on both front and rear, definitely under load. Another problem would be stability. The car will feel "floaty" and not stable at speeds exceeding 100kmph. This will affect its behaviour on roads and spoil your experience of driving the Civic. Overall, my opinion would be a no for this mod.

Instead, get your brand new tyres exchanged at the same tyre shop you are buying the upgraded ones. They will definitely give you a good amount of money for it, would help in reducing the cost of your new set of tyres.
Thank you CzechItaliaMto for your input, I don't want to spoil the handling in any way, because it's such a gem to drive, completely calm and composed post triple digits! So yeah, will look to sell in the tyre shop itself. Thanks once again
coderSree is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks