Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2024, 13:33   #10021
BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Is your car parked in a rainy area by any chance?
Nope. The car is parked in stilt parking and there hasn't been any rain in Nashik for some time. And it doesn't rain in Nashik like it does in Mumbai

The problem started 2 weeks ago.

Battery itself had to be replaced but then the battery was 4+ years old so that's not a biggie. But this also means that the battery disconnect and reconnect routine happened.

Removing all fuses and reconnecting was also tried but didn't work.

Anyways, this is the update from Nashik.

Quote:
At FNG since noon. Estimate 2k, 7 days testing warranty for same fault, delivery after 2pm today.

Last edited by antz.bin : 13th January 2024 at 13:37.
antz.bin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2024, 20:19   #10022
BHPian

Just a quick question ::

For the past three or four months the HASS has been suggesting that I replace my suspension - mine is a 2007 model (bought in 2008) which has done about 120000 kms.

According to HASS service records the suspension of my Civic has never been changed till now (the car was NEVER given anywhere else for the past 15 years other than the SAME HASS - Whitefield Honda).

I gave the car to the HASS and the suspension has been changed.

However, I'd like to know if this change of the suspension is normal after 120000 kms or am I being taken for a "ride" ? Thanks !
Old 30th January 2024, 23:20   #10023
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempelhof View Post
However, I'd like to know if this change of the suspension is normal after 120000 kms or am I being taken for a "ride" ? Thanks !
Did you feel that the car's suspension had become a bit more harsher than it used to be?

Usually, if we press on the fender and jump a couple of times and let go, the car should not bounce more than 2 times. This test should have been done before giving it for the replacement.

Coming to the point, since it has been driven for around 120000 kms on Indian roads, I think that either your suspension or parts of it were on its way out(bearing, ball joint etc). Hence, HASS may have pushed for the suspension replacement. So, I don't think you were being taken for a 'ride' apart from how much they would've charged for the replacement.
CzechItaliaMoto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2024, 11:53   #10024
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CzechItaliaMoto View Post
Did you feel that the car's suspension had become a bit more harsher than it used to be?

So, I don't think you were being taken for a 'ride' apart from how much they would've charged for the replacement.
I had seen (felt, rather) that the landing after any speed breaker was pretty hard (it used to be very soft earlier) - may be that's the reason for the suggested change - but I'm not an expert.

Will share the details once I receive them. Thanks.
Tempelhof is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2024, 12:28   #10025
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

For the past three or four months the HASS has been suggesting that I replace my suspension - mine is a 2007 model (bought in 2008) which has done about 120000 kms.

According to HASS service records the suspension of my Civic has never been changed till now (the car was NEVER given anywhere else for the past 15 years other than the SAME HASS - Whitefield Honda).

I gave the car to the HASS and the suspension has been changed.

1.2L kms is a very good life for suspension parts. I don't think that the work was done unnecessarily. Mine is closing in 90K and I do feel that if I keep the car for longer, I will need to get the suspension work done soon. BTW, how much HASS charged for the suspension job and can you please elaborate as to what parts were changed.

Thanks.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2024, 12:39   #10026
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
1.2L kms is a very good life for suspension parts. I don't think that the work was done unnecessarily. Mine is closing in 90K and I do feel that if I keep the car for longer, I will need to get the suspension work done soon. BTW, how much HASS charged for the suspension job and can you please elaborate as to what parts were changed.

Thanks.
Thank you.

I will be receiving the car either today or on 2nd Feb. 2024.

Will share all the details once I get them
Tempelhof is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2024, 23:22   #10027
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
BTW, how much HASS charged for the suspension job and can you please elaborate as to what parts were changed.

Thanks.
Couple of years back, all four suspension change done at HASS costs around 85,000 for reference.
sarathlal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2024, 19:58   #10028
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

My Civic's suspension overhaul was done at 80k kms so 1.2 lac kms for your car is very good. The lower arm bushes cost a bomb at 8k each side. In my experience original Honda parts last longer though freakishly expensive but worth it if you are planning to keep the car for a long time.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2024, 12:46   #10029
BHPian

Quote:
I will be receiving the car either today or on 2nd Feb. 2024.

Will share all the details once I get them
Apologies for the delay in sharing the details.

Here are some photos of the OLD replaced parts - and that of the bill of materials repaired / replaced.

Yes, I intend to keep this beauty for a very long time - there is NO reason to change the car - it is 16th year running and the car now feels as good as new.

The total cost of this repair / replacement was around INR 2.6 lakhs.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-p1.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-p2.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-p3.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-p4.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-20240202_102319.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-20240202_102328.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-20240202_102335.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-20240202_102423.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-20240202_102430.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-20240202_102443.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-20240202_102450.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-20240202_102515.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-20240202_102526.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-20240202_102536.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-20240202_102546.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-20240202_102557.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-20240202_102609.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-20240202_102628.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-20240202_102646.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-20240202_102706.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-20240202_102747.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-20240202_102803.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-20240202_102900.jpg  

Tempelhof is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th February 2024, 13:12   #10030
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Here are some photos of the OLD replaced parts - and that of the bill of materials repaired / replaced.

Yes, I intend to keep this beauty for a very long time - there is NO reason to change the car - it is 16th year running and the car now feels as good as new.

Thanks.

That's a hefty bill. Looks like there was more than just a suspension job. Was the power steering pump job also done?
Old 8th February 2024, 13:19   #10031
BHPian

Quote:

I appreciate how well you maintain your car with the HASS, I couldn't think of spending that much on the Civic! Looks like the steering rack + pump was also replaced.
Also noticed that the VTEC solenoid valve was replaced. Why? Was it giving you any problems/any symptoms that you noticed that lead to it? Usually if there is an oil leak from the valve, only the gasket is replaced(done on my Civic last year). Does HASS change the whole assembly for an oil leak from that part?
CzechItaliaMoto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2024, 13:28   #10032
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks.

That's a hefty bill. Looks like there was more than just a suspension job. Was the power steering pump job also done?
Yes - you can see the old part in one of the photos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CzechItaliaMoto View Post
I appreciate how well you maintain your car with the HASS, I couldn't think of spending that much on the Civic! Looks like the steering rack + pump was also replaced.
Also noticed that the VTEC solenoid valve was replaced. Why? Was it giving you any problems/any symptoms that you noticed that lead to it? Usually if there is an oil leak from the valve, only the gasket is replaced(done on my Civic last year). Does HASS change the whole assembly for an oil leak from that part?
Yes, the steering rack was also replaced.

Folks at the HASS mentioned two things that led to this : (1) leak, and (2) wear / break.

I have never given the equipment to anyone else other than the HASS till now, so I just went by their recommendations - but, before that, I wanted them to check the history of repairs (the car is always sent to the SAME HASS for 16 years) and they verified that the suspension has never been changed till now.

Last edited by vb-saan : 8th February 2024 at 13:50. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another. Thank you!
Tempelhof is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2024, 14:18   #10033
BHPian

The clutch release bearing of my 2011 Civic was making too much noise and it appeared to be at the brink of failure, so had to get the clutch assembly replaced.

However the vehicle is still sitting at HASS as after clutch replacement the master cylinder went out and clutch pedal would not rise. All efforts to bleed the clutch were futile so now the master and slave cylinder have to be replaced.

Overall total it is costing approx 34000 at HASS. Unexpected high bill for this car. I am now in dilemma whether to keep the car or sell it, any suggestion would be much appreciated for this. All in all, I have spent approx 2 lakhs on it in last two years for repairs which is simply very high for a Honda. My two older Toyota Corollas havent even costed me a fraction of this in repairs.
Old 8th February 2024, 14:30   #10034
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pta320 View Post
The clutch release bearing of my 2011 Civic was making too much noise and it appeared to be at the brink of failure, so had to get the clutch assembly replaced.

However the vehicle is still sitting at HASS as after clutch replacement the master cylinder went out and clutch pedal would not rise. All efforts to bleed the clutch were futile so now the master and slave cylinder have to be replaced.

Overall total it is costing approx 34000 at HASS. Unexpected high bill for this car. I am now in dilemma whether to keep the car or sell it, any suggestion would be much appreciated for this. All in all, I have spent approx 2 lakhs on it in last two years for repairs which is simply very high for a Honda. My two older Toyota Corollas havent even costed me a fraction of this in repairs.
Looks like the pushback spring in the master cylinder broke. This happens if your brake fluid is contaminated with water and this corrodes the parts in the clutch (& the braking) system. If a similar spring could have been sourced, this could have been repaired at a fraction of cost. Parts for Civic are expensive- just that they don't go bad often. Just out of curiosity, what works have been carried out in your car in last few years? If you have the patience to arrange for parts, you can consider getting some jobs done outside HASS, which work out to be much cheaper. In my experience, Honda ASC guys push for replacement of parts where reliable repairs can easily be done. For eg. they asked to change the entire brake caliper just for a 100 rupee leaking rubber seal in rear caliper which I got done elsewhere/ DIY. Ditto for axle boot- they asked to change entire driveshaft to address torn rubber boot which I got done outside again.

Recently, I went to a local FNG to get AC gas refilled fearing that Honda may ask me to change the compressor.
Old 8th February 2024, 14:47   #10035
BHPian

Quote:

Thats quite an extensive job! should keep your beauty running for the next 10 after this!
RunSam is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks