Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2023, 11:05   #9991
BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdking View Post
I need to get the four doors of my Civic repainted due to minor issues. The colour is Habanero Red.

Can someone who has got done similar work give a rough estimate of the likely cost, either in A$$ or in FNG?
A couple of years ago when petrol prices were unbelievably high, an FNG and a ASS turned independent garage gave very similar quotes. For denting and painting of the whole car(it had dings all over) they quoted 35k and 45k respectively. I think you can get one done for 30-35.
CzechItaliaMoto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2023, 11:19   #9992
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CzechItaliaMoto View Post
A couple of years ago when petrol prices were unbelievably high, an FNG and a ASS turned independent garage gave very similar quotes. For denting and painting of the whole car(it had dings all over) they quoted 35k and 45k respectively. I think you can get one done for 30-35.
Any idea what repainting only the door panels would cost? Thanks for the response.
Old 2nd August 2023, 22:52   #9993
BHPian

Quote:
Any idea what repainting only the door panels would cost? Thanks for the response.
I have had my door LHS rear door panel painted twice last year, both denting and painting costed 4k each time. So maybe with some bargaining you can get all four of them done for around 12-14k? This is in Bangalore, other places maybe cheaper or costlier.

Also, do check out gobumpr. They were offering whole car repaint for a mouthwatering price of 25k, atleast online. Don't know how things will change after they actually take the car. Can be a poor quality job as well, can't tell.
CzechItaliaMoto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2023, 11:48   #9994
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CzechItaliaMoto View Post
I have had my door LHS rear door panel painted twice last year, both denting and painting costed 4k each time. So maybe with some bargaining you can get all four of them done for around 12-14k? This is in Bangalore, other places maybe cheaper or costlier.

Also, do check out gobumpr. They were offering whole car repaint for a mouthwatering price of 25k, atleast online. Don't know how things will change after they actually take the car. Can be a poor quality job as well, can't tell.
Thanks. I have shifted to Delhi recently. I have done some market survey in last two days. I found the rates are pretty low here. Door panel - Rs 2k. Body - Rs 20K. Amazing.
skdking is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2023, 20:50   #9995
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. I have shifted to Delhi recently. I have done some market survey in last two days. I found the rates are pretty low here. Door panel - Rs 2k. Body - Rs 20K. Amazing.
Typically, each panel cost between 3.5-5k. 4 doors together would be around 12-15k.
Before finalising, would suggest to check with a good detailer, since most of them would have an associated paint booth and will be better equipped to match the current paint color. (Due to age, our cars cannot go directly with factory color codes, and need a paint match done with the adjacent panels)
sarathlal is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 10th August 2023, 17:00   #9996
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
Typically, each panel cost between 3.5-5k. 4 doors together would be around 12-15k.
Before finalising, would suggest to check with a good detailer, since most of them would have an associated paint booth and will be better equipped to match the current paint color. (Due to age, our cars cannot go directly with factory color codes, and need a paint match done with the adjacent panels)
The costs here is indeed low. 2k sees to be in the ballpark for a decent finish.

Even after matching the paint, the painter would probably still need to feather/blend in the paint on the adjacent pannels to get stop the new pannels from standing out
Siddj38 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2023, 07:20   #9997
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pta320 View Post
So lately my 2010 Civic VMT with 1.1 lakh kms started giving me a lot of issues, I'd list them down here :

1) AC compressor stared making very loud noise and had to be replaced. Got the same Sanden TRSE07 compressor at a good deal.

2) One rear and one front wheel bearing went bad. As a precaution replaced all four. Front ones were NTN bearings, rear ones were IMB.

3) Power steering pump developed serious leakage. Got it repaired with new seals and gaskets.

4) Main engine mount and gear side engine mount went bad, replaced them with Technix engine mounts.

5) Front control arm bushes and link rods went bust. Got them replaced.

6) Similarly rear tyre had uneven wear on the inside and it went completely bald from inside. Alignment didn't fix a thing. Upon closer inspection, few of the rear bushes were torn completely and all the upper control arm, knuckle and rear trailing arm bushes were replaced with the RBI ones. Alignment done again.

7)Since the tyres were all finished with age and tread, got used set of Pirelli Citurato P1 as replacement. Upsized to 205/65 R15 and it has almost eliminated the car touching the bumps even at full load.

8)Rear brake calpiers were seizing leading to rear wheels not turning freely. Had them cleaned and serviced which solved the problem.

9)Car started overheating during summers. Culprit was the choked radiator. Got it thoroughly cleaned by disassembling and changed the coolant. No overheating anymore.

10)Battery, front brake pads, rotors and spark plugs were be replaced.

11)One of the axle seal of the transmission developed a leak and was replaced.

In last two years, I have spent a little over 1.2 lakh rupees on the maintenance of the car. However now it feels that car is mechanically sound and ready to take on the roads. Being a Honda, engine and transmission issues are unlikely. So far there are no electrical issues with the car. Hopefully these were some of the last of the expenses that I incurred.
Just an update on the recent maintenance done on the car:

1) Aftermarket steering tie rod ends went bust. Had to replace them with the OEM ones from Honda dealership. Costed 8000 rs in total. As far as aftermarket parts are concerned, there are very few brands which make durable parts. Most so called "imported" parts are just cheap local knock offs and won't last at all. The only aftermarket brand to trust for parts like tie rods, link rods etc. is TRW which holds up pretty well. Even the TRW parts are scarce right now in Indian market. It appears I'll have to import some parts in the future.

Also when buying TRW parts , definitely confirm the OEM part number and make sure it's the same displayed on TRW site. I bought a TRW rear link rod set from an Indian based online retailer but it just won't fit as the bolt of the OEM part is much thicker and so is the hole for it to fit. On checking, the OEM part number appears to be different yet the retailer was selling it by saying it's compatible with Honda Civic. So be careful when shopping online for parts from new websites.

2) Right rear of the car was sitting like 2 cms lower than the left. So exchanged the coil springs from left to right and it appears to have solved the problem. Over the years, the car just sags on the driver side it seems.

3) Some brake fluid fell on the drive belt and it started squeaking. Belt replaced with Gates 7PK2164 micro V EPDM belt. Belt cost - 900rs.

4) One of the common failures on these is the brake switch release plastic button attached to the brake pedal. It just destroys over time with use and rear brake light always remains on, also the cruise control won't work due to the same as ECM thinks that brake has been applied. I've put some foam on the same spot, it appears to have solved the problem. You may also put a metal screw there but overtime it will destroy the brake switch so better to just apply some foaming tape.

5) Front lower left bumper splash shield was missing and a new one was put at the dealership.

6) The clutch release bearing has started to make noise when clutch pedal is depressed. However as per my research it is just a nuisance and won't cause a breakdown. If you can live with the noise, just wait till the clutch gives up and replace everything at once.
Old 2nd September 2023, 00:43   #9998
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just an update on the recent maintenance done on the car:

4) One of the common failures on these is the brake switch release plastic button attached to the brake pedal. It just destroys over time with use and rear brake light always remains on, also the cruise control won't work due to the same as ECM thinks that brake has been applied. I've put some foam on the same spot, it appears to have solved the problem. You may also put a metal screw there but overtime it will destroy the brake switch so better to just apply some foaming tape.
Thanks. These are couple of related information for ease of reference;
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ml#post4918867 (Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...l?#post4968816 (Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos)

Last edited by sarathlal : 2nd September 2023 at 00:53. Reason: Merging posts
Old 3rd September 2023, 17:26   #9999
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eccentric View Post
You must have driven the car sensibly to cross 70k KMs since this is the first time the error has cropped.

You have witnessed the solution beforehand but unfortunately have succumbed to the ploy made up by the cheaters.

Now, the trail is gone cold. We never know what is really inside the pump! The parts that needed replacement are below,

A. O-Rings
1. O - RING, 13.0X1.9 Honda 91345PAAA01 or RUBBER RING Honda 91345RDAA01
The latter is the revised part but it's unavailable in India while the former can be sourced via Boodmo within weeks.
https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-o_ri...0x1_9-6710394/
2. O - RING, 14.4X1.9 Honda 91370SV4000 -
https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-o_ri...4x1_9-6705133/
B. Power steering fluid reservoir (Optional)

TANK COMP, POWER STEERING OIL Honda 53701SNAA01 - https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-tank...g_oil-6705144/

C. Power steering fluid

PSF - 0823599961DA - Rs. 430/- for 1L at the ASC. I guess, you would require 3L to flush the entire system and refill.
Dear eccentric,

My steering fluid needs topping up.

Can you suggest which brand to use?

A link to the item, if available online, would be great.
Old 3rd September 2023, 19:23   #10000
BHPian

Quote:
Dear eccentric,

My steering fluid needs topping up.

Can you suggest which brand to use?

A link to the item, if available online, would be great.
Feeling quite elated to inscribe the #10,000th post in this very thread!

IMHO, it is better to stick with the genuine PSF available at the Honda ASC.

Point to be noted is that the specific one which I quoted earlier was manufactured by Idemitsu, India. Therefore, I tried my hand in sourcing the same from few authorized distributors who deal with Idemitsu engine oils. But to my dismay, I was informed that the PSF wasn't allowed for retail sale.(This incident dates back to 2021 when the official Idemitsu India website listed the PSF in their range of lubricants! Now, they've removed it.)

Kindly try sourcing this specific brand alone and refrain from using any other brands PSF/ATF. I found an online link which might benefit you,

https://www.amazon.in/Idemitsu-Unive.../dp/B00TO0F6EW

Cheers!
eccentric is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2023, 11:48   #10001
BHPian

Folks,

The OEM body cover which I was merrily using during my ownership was ripped apart by dogs at the outdoor parking zone in my new place of stay. Well, am disheartened heavily since I love OEM accessories to the core and enjoy the stupendous quality that they exude.

Am cent percent sure it'd be near impossible to source the OEM body cover. Therefore, please suggest a decent aftermarket one (excluding Tph covers - expensive and never liked their branding!) that is primarily rain-proof and offers a snug fit and protection from dogs. Thanks!
Old 10th September 2023, 17:06   #10002
BHPian

Civic headlight upgrade

I have been dealing with the Civic's poor low beams for quite a while now, but finally decided that the stock lights had to go. I contacted friendly T-BHPian eccentric about the same, and he recommended LEDs for the low beams, also telling me that it won't affect the oncoming traffic after I raised concerns about the glare, provided the lights were adjusted correctly.

The socket that the Civic uses for its low beams is HB4(9006), and HB3(9005) for its high beams.

There were many Chinese brands on Amazon which seemed like they were selling the same thing, so decided not to go down that route. Instead, I found these Bosch LED headlights that costed around 200 rupees more(on offer) on Amazon and everything seemed to check out, hence decided to go ahead with it, even though the reviews were mediocre.

Link to purchase headlights - Bosch IRIS LED headlights

The packaging-
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-pxl_20230910_095420693.jpg

Installation was pretty straightforward. Undo the side clips of the bumper, remove the plastic clips on the fender liners, fold them backwards and you have access to the low beam headlight sockets. Twist the bulb in the opposite direction of the arrow on the socket, press and remove the plug, and that's about it. You can remove your stock halogen lamps and install the new ones, following the instructions given above in reverse

Do make sure you have a few spare plastic fender clips, as these tend to become brittle as they age.

Headlights in action-
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-pxl_20230910_1101287722.jpg

They have a slightly blue colour, which goes very well with the car.

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-pxl_20230910_110305293.jpg

First impressions - they are much, much brighter than the stock halogen bulbs. The throw of the headlight has increased as well. I am yet to take it out at night to see how much difference it makes over the stock bulbs. Overall, the build quality of these are pretty decent and I think they will last a while.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited by CzechItaliaMoto : 10th September 2023 at 17:16.
CzechItaliaMoto is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th September 2023, 21:13   #10003
BHPian

Hello Mumbai Bhp-ians,

Seeking feedback on the quality of Service (capability to diagnose + repair) of Arya Honda workshop (Shaman Cars (I) Pvt Ltd, No 167, Bharti Workshop, Vidyanagri Marg - 400098.

I am relocating to Mumbai and this workshop is closest to my place (Santacruz West) and the feedback would help.

Thanks!

Last edited by kapilsharma80 : 18th September 2023 at 21:39. Reason: Spelling correction
Old 20th September 2023, 03:04   #10004
BHPian

Quote:

Better fix is to just use a stack of coins glued together. Otherwise the broken plastic thingy is a child part and can be ordered at Honda. It costs around Rs. 75

Last edited by Siddj38 : 20th September 2023 at 03:05.
Old 22nd October 2023, 15:00   #10005
BHPian

Hi Everyone!
I am facing some issues as mentioned below, with my Civic V AT 2011 model since about 2 months now.

First some recent events:

1. Recently the car was not used for 3 months and was lying in a basement parking. After 3 months, the car was jump started, driven for about 3-4 kms to a fuel station. I accidentally switched off the car there and again the car had to be jump started.
Therafter, drove for next 1 hr (25 kms) and parked back. Tried starting immediately after parking but the car did not start. Not even cranking. I dont remember if lights etc were working at that time. Battery is Amaron, 9 moths old.
Called Amaron dealership next day and he delivered at home a spare battery and took away the car battery, which he returned back after inspection few days later and no problems with the battery till date.
In last 2 months, car has been jump started three times in total.

2. This is about 15 days after above incident.

One day it rained heavily in Bangalore. I misjudged the depth of water on the road and car got submerged in water till half wheel level. water entered inside the cabin till the top of ABC pedals. I did the mistake of cranking the engine about 3-4 times. The car cranked but never started. That night, I just pushed the car on the roadside (luckily it happened in a colony road and not on a main road).
Mechanic came next day and inspected the car. Water had entered into the Air filter box. Got the car towed to his workshop. Found out that water had entered into combustion chamber as well. Engine oil was extremely dirty, brown in colour (colour same as mud).
After 3 days he gave back the car. Air filter, Fuel filter and Engine oil was changed. Water was flushed out of the engine. No damage to spark plugs, all four working fine. Engine oil renewed with Shell Helix 5W-30. All this costed 10k, including labor and consumables change.

After that the car drove very smooth and till date the engine 'sounds' really smooth, but facing following issues since about 2 months now.

1. The car hesitates/ stutters to move forward when starting off from zero, especially when steering is fully turned. Once speed reaches above 6-7 kph, no more hesitation is felt.

2. Feel slight sluggishness in acceleration. Engine revs normally but somehow feel that the car is not moving with eagerness. This is with just me in the car driving and no one else. Air pressure in the tyres is normal.

3. Since last few months, gear shifting is felt more, especially from 1st to 2nd & 2nd to 3rd. After 3rd it feels normal.

4. Mileage has dropped to 7 kmpl in city use (Bangalore traffic) as per MID. Used to be around 9 kmpl mark earlier.
Hiigway mileage is acceptable. Recently did a trip Bangalore-Wayanad-Bangalore and overall the car returned 12.9 kmpl (as per MID). This was with 3-4 people onboard and included a fair bit of hilly section.

5. At Idle, engine rpm is not consistent, sometimes drops till 600 rpm, almost feels like stalling but never stalled either at idle or while driving. Feel like vibration at idle is more than earlier.

6. There is some problem with full odometer display. Sometimes, the odometer display (bottom one, not the one displaying speed) remains ON even after car is switched Off and locked. Sometimes the lower display keeps flickering. Once, there was no display at all in both the Odometer displays while the car was running at highway speeds, as if car was switched off and locked.
Took this matter to my FNG, he did something and till date that issue has not came back.

7. All these issues compelled me to buy an OBD scanner, bought a Carpm scanner.
Did a detailed scan, it returned error code U0155- "Internal Malfunction with ECM". In the pdf scan report, it mentions "Faulty ECU". Everything else is normal and mentioned as "PASS".
No other error.

Need guidance on above issues.

Also, would highly appreciate if someone can recommend me a trusted and competent FNG in Bangalore, as I don't have full confidence in my current FNG to deal with engine related issues.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks