Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2019, 20:19   #9421
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

I had the same issue with my car being submerged under water in 2012. Honda quoted 1.6 lakhs for the repair. The engine was not hydro locked though. Despite not being covered under warranty, I pulled a few strings , and pressurized the insurance company. My car was sitting in the service center for over a month. They finally relented and paid 79k. I coughed up the balance 80k and got the car fixed. The odo reading at that time was 59000 kms. Today my car has clocked 2,15,000 KMs.

In your case, it involves opening up the engine. I'd advise you to steer clear of the cheaper FNG quotations as such a job couldn't really be done for that less. The slips of my Punto 1.4 had got cut. The total cost including opening up the engine and fixing it was 40k. Genuine parts is also a concern. Rarely have I seen an engine repaired at an FNG performing the same post repair or lasting as long as it would have in case the mishap hadn't occured.

It's best to do a cost benefit analysis - cost of the repair vs the no of years you'll continue to use the car and take a call.
coolkurt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2019, 10:54   #9422
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
The only worry is that Honda does not sell components over the counter. Once the FNG checks out, if without much changes all is well, then it is a happy scenario. Please check with the FNG how he plans to source the components for the engine, if at all it comes to that. If you are convinced, then proceed.
Thanks, Laluks. I am getting the car towed from HASS to an FNG this weekend. Will keep this thread updated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Hello,

My Civic too had to face the Mumbai floods no thanks to my wise guy driver who has absolutely no skills of driving water. My dad has forced him to turn around after seeing water ahead. He turned, but few minutes later, told dad that they can pass through the water. So he took on the floods and ultimately stalling the car. I had warned him earlier in the day not to venture anywhere near water. Im assuming your car hit same water levels as mine cause water entered my car and the carpets and mats were soaked.

Anyway, I got him to get the car pushed to one side safely. My brother called his friend who went there with a mechanic a couple of hours later. The guy opened the airbox and the air filter was totally wet. He got it cleaned and dried a bit. Once done he cranked the engine which started after two attempts.

Let the car with my friend who got the interiors cleaned and the mechanic got a check up done as well. The car is running normally, no issues.

So I doubt what the Honda A.S.S is saying. You might want to et it done at an FNG itself.

Hope this helps
Thanks, Dippy.

I too have a similar story. Only difference being that I myself stopped seeing the water logged road and reversed a good 50-60 mtrs to take a U-turn. However, an uncle in a passing vehicle told me not to worry about the water and the car will make it. My mistake was I trusted him and drove into the water only to have the civic stall.

What is surprising is that it seems your car stalled in deeper water. Because, no water had entered my car. The water level was actually below the lower door opening.

Your post gives me a lot of hope. Getting the car checked by an FNG this weekend. Hoping for the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
I had the same issue with my car being submerged under water in 2012. Honda quoted 1.6 lakhs for the repair. The engine was not hydro locked though. Despite not being covered under warranty, I pulled a few strings , and pressurized the insurance company. My car was sitting in the service center for over a month. They finally relented and paid 79k. I coughed up the balance 80k and got the car fixed. The odo reading at that time was 59000 kms. Today my car has clocked 2,15,000 KMs.

In your case, it involves opening up the engine. I'd advise you to steer clear of the cheaper FNG quotations as such a job couldn't really be done for that less. The slips of my Punto 1.4 had got cut. The total cost including opening up the engine and fixing it was 40k. Genuine parts is also a concern. Rarely have I seen an engine repaired at an FNG performing the same post repair or lasting as long as it would have in case the mishap hadn't occured.

It's best to do a cost benefit analysis - cost of the repair vs the no of years you'll continue to use the car and take a call.
Thanks, coolkurt.

The varying quotes and the reliability of the engine post the repair are honestly my only apprehensions. I will be getting the car checked this weekend by a mechanic who has been referred to me by my contact at HASS.

Although I don't intend on keeping the car for more than an year, I would really want for that one year to be reliable.

Will keep this thread posted.

Thanks,
Enigmatic

Last edited by Enigmatic : 26th September 2019 at 11:03.
Enigmatic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2019, 08:59   #9423
Senior - BHPian

Took the car till Tehri, Uttarakhand last week. Had no issues during the entire trip. Did make me a bit sad that I'll be saying goodbye to the Civic in a few months.

Also, I know it wouldn't fetch much , but what could be a good value for a 12 year old Civic , clocked more than 2,00,000 KMs ? It's well maintained and no mechanical issues.
Old 28th September 2019, 09:58   #9424
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Took the car till Tehri, Uttarakhand last week. Had no issues during the entire trip. Did make me a bit sad that I'll be saying goodbye to the Civic in a few months.

Also, I know it wouldn't fetch much , but what could be a good value for a 12 year old Civic , clocked more than 2,00,000 KMs ? It's well maintained and no mechanical issues.

In Bangalore can't expect more than 2 - 2.25 lakhs, Delhi might be even worse. If parking space is not an issue, keep it
Old 28th September 2019, 10:03   #9425
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
In Bangalore can't expect more than 2 - 2.25 lakhs, Delhi might be even worse. If parking space is not an issue, keep it
2-2.25 lakhs is a great deal. I'm getting quotes of 1.25 lakhs only from cars24 etc. What should I do ?
Old 28th September 2019, 10:17   #9426
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
2-2.25 lakhs is a great deal. I'm getting quotes of 1.25 lakhs only from cars24 etc. What should I do ?
I sold mine last year and still regret and am sad I did. If possible and if you have parking try and keep it. Dealers/cars24 will low ball you. My resale did not even fetch me 6 figures since I exchanged mine with a dealer(big mistake). If you must sell make sure it's this year only as by next year it will add more to depreciation. However before you do sell do think about it hard as you will definitely miss it. There is nothing like this car on the market as of now, not even the new Civic.
Old 28th September 2019, 10:34   #9427
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
I sold mine last year and still regret and am sad I did. If possible and if you have parking try and keep it. Dealers/cars24 will low ball you. My resale did not even fetch me 6 figures since I exchanged mine with a dealer(big mistake). If you must sell make sure it's this year only as by next year it will add more to depreciation. However before you do sell do think about it hard as you will definitely miss it. There is nothing like this car on the market as of now, not even the new Civic.
I know even I'll be sad to let go of the Civic. The new Civic is a far cry from the 8th gen. Exchanging with a dealer is always going to fetch you a lot lower. Cars24 etc are marginally better. What other options do I have? Quikr/ olx?

The reason I want to sell is that it's clocked more than 2.1 lakh kms and it's almost 13 years old. Another 2 years and I won't be able to do anything due to the 15 year rule in NCR. Plus I've got no additional parking space since the Hector is going to join the stable soon.

Driving pleasure wise, Civic is still right up there. It still brings a smile on my face.
coolkurt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2019, 10:53   #9428
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I know even I'll be sad to let go of the Civic. The new Civic is a far cry from the 8th gen. Exchanging with a dealer is always going to fetch you a lot lower. Cars24 etc are marginally better. What other options do I have? Quikr/ olx?

The reason I want to sell is that it's clocked more than 2.1 lakh kms and it's almost 13 years old. Another 2 years and I won't be able to do anything due to the 15 year rule in NCR. Plus I've got no additional parking space since the Hector is going to join the stable soon.

Driving pleasure wise, Civic is still right up there. It still brings a smile on my face.
Qikr/OLX cash my car will be your best bet. Team BHP classified is there too. I had bought my used Civic via T-BHP classifieds. Try and sell to someone outside the NRC region if possible so that he/she can keep the Civic longer than 15 years. Congrats on the Hector :-).

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 28th September 2019 at 10:54.
Old 28th September 2019, 10:59   #9429
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Qikr/OLX cash my car will be your best bet. Team BHP classified is there too. I had bought my used Civic via T-BHP classifieds. Try and sell to someone outside the NRC region if possible so that he/she can keep the Civic longer than 15 years. Congrats on the Hector :-).
Thanks. Will check out Olx cash and quikr. Do they have the same model as cars24 etc where they inspect and provide a quote? Or do you have to place an ad and wait for a buyer?

Thank you. Hopefully it'll be a good SUV to drive. I know it won't match Honda reliability and I'll just have to live with that. How's your swift holding up? Miss the Civic more?
Old 28th September 2019, 11:09   #9430
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. Will check out Olx cash and quikr. Do they have the same model as cars24 etc where they inspect and provide a quote? Or do you have to place an ad and wait for a buyer?

Thank you. Hopefully it'll be a good SUV to drive. I know it won't match Honda reliability and I'll just have to live with that. How's your swift holding up? Miss the Civic more?
I had bought new Verna after the Civic. I was not happy with some things and the diesel exhaust caused me headaches etc. It was my first diesel. To save my health I took a hit and sold my Verna to Olx cash my car which has the same model as Cars24. I did receive a 6 figure sum so the experience was ok. The Verna was sold in 2 days flat after me approaching OlxCashMyCar. I received the amount the second day itself in my bank and handed over everything to them. The Swift was booked on the same day I sold the Verna.

On the first day I was not happy with the figure quoted with my car and I staged a walk out of the shop. The next day they called and agreed to my price and we made the deal the same day itself. They will list your car on their auction site which runs for an hour or so. I saw the bids increasing to close to what I wanted but it closed just before it reached the amount I expected. Not pleased I simply walked out once they said it was the best they could do. However the next day they made another offer which I accepted. The Swift is a good car but I do miss the space and comfort offered by the Civic.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 28th September 2019 at 11:15.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2019, 11:16   #9431
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On the first day I was not happy with the figure quoted with my car and I staged a walk out of the shop. The next day they called and agreed to my price and we made the deal the same day itself. They will list your car on their auction site which runs for am hour or so. I saw the bids increasing to close to what I wanted but it closed just before it reached the amount I expected. Not pleased I simply walked out once they said it was the best they could do. However the next day they made another offer which I accepted. The Swift is a good car but I do miss the space and comfort offered by the Civic.
I'm used to the diesel now, with the S Cross a member of the family. Thank you for elaborating on the process. So I guess I should go and get it valuated first and based on that, stick to a price and bargain for it. Will keep you updated.

Yes I'm sure. The swift is a good car for the city. The new Civic felt a bit claustrophobic as compared to this one.
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2019, 19:59   #9432
BHPian

I just observed that my windshield is scattering lights during night time. On close inspection, found that there are swirl marks on the glass (probably due to car cleaning guy using bad cloth earlier while cleaning). Can it be fixed with some hack? Or I need to change the windshield only now? This is a stock windshield. Thank you.

Last edited by aah78 : 4th October 2019 at 20:05. Reason: Spacing.
Old 4th October 2019, 23:09   #9433
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavan_hurkat View Post
Can it be fixed with some hack? Or I need to change the windshield only now? This is a stock windshield. Thank you.
Pavan, check with 3M, if I remember correctly they have a glass cleaning service. Perhaps they would be able to fix your issue depending upon the severity and should be cheaper than replacing the windshield if it's possible.

Cheers
Old 5th October 2019, 19:02   #9434
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I've only got quotes of 1.2-1.25 lakhs on cars24 and olx cashmycar. Most of them look at the 2,00,000 + kms on the odo and discount it immediately. The car is in such perfect running condition, I've raised the suspension so it doesn't bottom up on speedbreakers, leather seats and the lot and I'm pretty disappointed of the price it commands.

Will try and give it a go on the classifieds on quikr/Olx.
Old 9th October 2019, 09:25   #9435
BHPian

In my 2008 model Civic MT (1.8V), the AC was misbehaving (sort of, unpredictable) for the past several years. Complaints to the HASS couldn't resolve the issue as they just changed the filters and other accessories (just short of changing the AC itself).

The problem was that whenever I went on a long drive to a hot place from Bangalore (say, Madras), the AC would fail as we enter Madras. If we stop the car for a few minutes, and restart, the AC would work well for some more time. I had almost decided to change the AC, but kept experimenting various things.

Within Bangalore I had problem with the AC only on hot afternoons when I moved in a bumper-to-bumper traffic.

During my recent long road trip to Kochi / Madurai, I discovered that as long as I do not press the clutch, the AC seems to be working well. When I tried this on my return trip from Madurai to Bangalore, I pressed the clutch just barely and only when it was absolutely necessary, and the AC worked continuously for over 7 hours all through the journey without any issues.

The beauty has done just 99,800 kms and is otherwise as good as new and is pure gold on the highway.

What could be the problem? Should I change my AC? Will that help? Thanks in advance.

Most Viewed