Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2020, 16:41   #9556
BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil994 View Post
Hi Guys,

A question if anyone can help me out on this. I got a Borla catback exhaust installed on my recently purchased Civic. I was thinking of going further and removing the Catcon altogether and I have seen mixed reviews of whether it will pass the emissions test or not,but haven't been able to get a concrete answer

Would really appreciate if someone can help me out on this
If you get the cat con removed , the car will not pass the pollution test. depends on where you live in the NCR , you can get the pollution done from a centre which has a "not so " accurate machine and the car will pass . Such inaccurate machines are usually found on the Jaipur highway and the Delhi Chandigarh highway .
Old 15th May 2020, 18:45   #9557
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik0502 View Post
Hello Guys,

I am facing a problem with my Civic since last summer's. The AC keeps tripping. I got the cooling coil replaced twice last summer's since the original one had a leak but the problem is same with both the coils. My car has a Denso coil now since I couldn't find the OEM brand outside and Honda was asking 30 K for cooling coil replacement. Now coming back to the problem. The AC keeps tripping. The AC guy says there is nothing wrong with the AC system and it's tripping because the car is overheating. The bonnet is too hot to touch.
Check the AC relay under the fuse box. Try to swap the relays and verify if it is the real culprit. There are many quick DIY videos on Youtube for same. You can go through them. Hope it helps.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 28th May 2020 at 00:20. Reason: Trimming quoted post
Old 17th May 2020, 15:47   #9558
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolvenk View Post
I am having a similar problem as Nik above, but with engine apparently overheating.

So, I was driving out with family in 40+ degree summer temperatures with the a/c on Lo. Since I was taking the car out after a week, I kept the engine on, even when parked (with a/c on), to help keep the battery charged. The a/c stopped working after about 40 mins of this, i.e. the a/c fan worked but wasn't blowing cold. So, I switched off the ....
Does the car overheat with the ac on and it would go normal if the ac was kept off? Had a similar issue, if coolant level is ok a thorough cleaning of the radiator will help plus change of coolant.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...ml#post4191569 (Honda Civic Independence : CNG'd. EDIT: 1,13,000 km up and SOLD!)

Also please do not sell off the car. I regret it every day. I remember interacting with you before too. The Civic should be a keeper.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 17th May 2020 at 15:48.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2020, 09:07   #9559
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Also please do not sell off the car. I regret it every day. I remember interacting with you before too. The Civic should be a keeper.
Good to hear this!

Mine is nearing 13 years, and in good shape. Presently idle for many weeks due to the lockdown, but I keep the battery charged with my Bosch-charger and engine heated up every few days.

Always ready to go on a long trip whenever required of it!

Odo is at 1,72,358 kms. Next oil change will be done in November.
manim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2020, 09:54   #9560
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Guys,

I am facing a problem with my Civic since last summer’s. The AC keeps tripping. I got the cooling coil replaced twice last summer’s since the original one had a leak but the problem is same with both the coils. My car has a Denso coil now since I couldn’t find the OEM brand outside and Honda was asking 30 K for cooling coil replacement. Now coming back to the problem. The AC keeps tripping.
Although I don't own a Civic, my Santro Xing exhibited the exact same symptoms last year and changing the compressor clutch solved it.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 28th May 2020 at 00:21. Reason: Trimming quoted post
Old 18th May 2020, 15:17   #9561
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Agree with you Sumeet, she is a keeper. My 2010 AT has done just 42xxx kms and am extremely happy with her. I used to have two cars hence the low running to a certain extent.

Luckily I got her serviced, oil change and all the jazz on 2nd March and now I just start and idle her every 15-20 days or so in these lockdown days.

Just cannot think of any replacement because of the hydraulic steering feel among many other things. The new Civic interiors felt very claustrophobic and just does not excite at all.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2020, 15:46   #9562
Distinguished - BHPian

I charged the battery of my Civic a few days ago and put that back in the car yesterday. The car was started after almost a couple of months. Gave it a wash and took it to roads yesterday as I had to get a new cooking gas cylinder.

Honestly, any thoughts of selling the car gets vanished in thin air after a drive. Current odo is at around 80K.
saket77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th May 2020, 16:44   #9563
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Agree with you Sumeet, she is a keeper.

Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Honestly, any thoughts of selling the car gets vanished in thin air after a drive. Current odo is at around 80K.
Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
Good to hear this!

Always ready to go on a long trip whenever required of it!
Seriously guys, I sometimes find myself dreaming at night that I still own the car and that it is still parked in my society compound only to wake up and find that it was just a dream . Still curse and kick myself for selling her, it was worth all the trouble it put me through. Did fiddle with the idea of getting another used one but finances, parking woes, time etc these things keep putting the idea off :-(
sumeethaldankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2020, 15:29   #9564
BHPian

Quote:
Does the car overheat with the ac on and it would go normal if the ac was kept off? Had a similar issue, if coolant level is ok a thorough cleaning of the radiator will help plus change of coolant.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...ml#post4191569 (Honda Civic Independence : CNG'd. EDIT: 1,13,000 km up and SOLD!)

Hi Sumeet,

As my post mentions, the car doesn’t show any symptoms of overheating except AC cutting off and a hot bonnet. The radiator was cleaned last year and when it was given for cleaning it was in brand new condition. No clogging no rust there was nothing wrong with the radiator. My car has done 93 K Kms. And needs a new suspension, new seat covers new engine mount a PS overhaul and I am ready to spend in these and keep the car for another 2-3 years at least but the AC problem has to be fixed before I spend on these. Otherwise I will have to sell it and move on. Civic is my 7th car in11 years of car ownership and I have had it for more than 4 years. Speaks a lot about the car. I don’t see a perfect replacement for Civic without spending big bucks and I am not the same person anymore whose only priority in life is his car. But I also do not have time and patience to deal with these issues. The car had to be sent 4-5 times to the AC mechanic last year. And the issue is not fixed. These things really turn me off. And the AC guy is one of the very renowned in my city. So I am very clueless about the whole situation.
Old 19th May 2020, 19:45   #9565
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Sumeet,

As my post mentions, the car doesn’t show any symptoms of overheating except AC cutting off and a hot bonnet.
As mentioned by Pavan do get the AC relay changed. Get the original one if needed it should cost not more tha 800 bucks at Hass while outside it should be around 200 Rs. Get the relay fixed and see. I had the same issue too and my mechanic diagnosed it quickly.

Good luck with the car. I hope you keep it long.
Old 23rd May 2020, 14:35   #9566
BHPian

Does it make any sense to buy a used civic now ? I just love the car for it's looks and always dreamt about owning one.

The newest one I can find online for sale is a 2011 vintage.

Prices are mouth watering, but my main concern is the 15 year old car scrapping scheme which is rumored.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 24th May 2020 at 12:13. Reason: Typos, spacing and formatting
Old 24th May 2020, 01:13   #9567
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asish_VK View Post
Does it make any sense to buy a used civic now ? I just love the car for it's looks and always dreamt about owning one .
The newest one I can find online for sale is a 2011 vintage.
Prices are mouth watering, but my main concern is the 15 year old car scrapping scheme which is roumered.

I would say if you are not in NCR, definitely go for it.
In fact I got one for myself last October and could not be happier. That is when I am in Gurgaon.

I still have about 5.5 years of life left in that car and I am not even going to be in the country that long (plan to move out sometime in September), but the time that I have spent with this car, will always be so special. It will always be my first car love.

Attached some pics to push you for the decision

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-imageuploadedbyteambhp1590262927.283125.jpg

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-imageuploadedbyteambhp1590262975.943599.jpg

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-imageuploadedbyteambhp1590263017.613847.jpg
akhil994 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th May 2020, 10:45   #9568
BHPian

Quote:

Attached some pics to push you for the decision

Attachment 2009524
Oh man! You must do that. Don't you ?

Your car look H.O.T

Last edited by Asish_VK : 24th May 2020 at 10:46.
Old 25th May 2020, 07:36   #9569
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
In fact I got one for myself last October and could not be happier
Wow! Dude, your car looks smoking hot.

The new gen Honda civic pales in front of it's 8th gen predecessor.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2020, 19:32   #9570
BHPian

Quote:
As mentioned by Pavan do get the AC relay changed. Get the original one if needed it should cost not more tha 800 bucks at Hass while outside it should be around 200 Rs. Get the relay fixed and see. I had the same issue too and my mechanic diagnosed it quickly.

Good luck with the car. I hope you keep it long.
I had changed the relay sometime back. I hooked up an OBD 2 with the car today. The temperature was 204. When the AC cut off. The temperature reached 208 and didn’t go down and the AC didn’t come back. I had to restart the car in order to get the AC back. It was 44 celsius outside today. Do you know what is the normal temperature range for Civic. If anyone has OBD connected and can tell me the temperature under different conditions please let me know.

Most Viewed