Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2020, 15:41   #9586
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Check this video. May answer your question.
I saw this video earlier and that involves removing the doorpad. I was thinking if the mechanism can be accessed by removing the plastic mirror cap.

Thanks!
Old 11th June 2020, 17:28   #9587
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Others who have had this issue- was complete mirror assembly required to be taken off the door/ body or just removing the mirror cap gave access to the gear mechanism
I am not a DIY person, called someone who removed the entire mirror assembly and returned it in a day after the repair. Cost me 2000 rupees if I remember correctly.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 19:41   #9588
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolvenk View Post
Hi Sumeet, thanks. I'm at the HASS now and it has been diagnosed as the condenser fan not working. Replacement is 12k, but part is not available.

Problem is I need to drive 650+ km (~12 hours) next week to attend to a family medical emergency. HASS is advising against it.
You will get aftermarket Denso for around 2k max. Had it on my Civic and ran fine. Don't bother with the HASS fan it is a rip off. After market will do just fine.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 11th June 2020 at 20:36. Reason: typo edited
sumeethaldankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 21:27   #9589
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The ORVM is not operating automatically anymore since yesterday. The motor makes a whirring sound and is most likely running. It probably is a case of slipping or a cracked gear inside the mirror assembly. Planning a DIY. Others who have had this issue- was complete mirror assembly required to be taken off the door/ body or just removing the mirror cap gave access to the gear mechanism?

Thanks.
Had this done twice per side. Each time it cost a 1.9k bomb at a repair shop in Mumbai. The gears go awry and they need to be rectified. No mirror assembly change needed. Keep it away from nasty kids and washer men who will forcefully open the mirrors for cleaning. These two were the sole reason for the mirrors to stop working. It would give a grr grr sound if the gears are slipping.
Old 11th June 2020, 21:35   #9590
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
I am not a DIY person, called someone who removed the entire mirror assembly and returned it in a day after the repair. Cost me 2000 rupees if I remember correctly.

Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Had this done twice per side. Each time it cost a 1.9k bomb at a repair shop in Mumbai. The gears go awry and they need to be rectified. No mirror assembly change needed. Keep it away from nasty kids and washer men who will forcefully open the mirrors for cleaning. These two were the sole reason for the mirrors to stop working. It would give a grr grr sound if the gears are slipping.
Thank you for the advice. I have dissembled the entire unit and found the culprit to be a plastic cog gear which has cracked. I’m trying to fix this myself and will post a detailed log if I succeed. Here’s the criminal:
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-d2a14fbe158f4f8ead7d0a5bf9768355.jpeg  

saket77 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 07:27   #9591
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
You will get aftermarket Denso for around 2k max. Had it on my Civic and ran fine. Don't bother with the HASS fan it is a rip off. After market will do just fine.
It's the same as that is in maruti esteem. If MASS has it in stock, it becomes easy for you. But since esteem is out of production, may be not, may be you have to place an order and wait.

Else please ask coolkurt to source it from Delhi, I have been to that place along with him, and courier to you.
laluks is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 14:29   #9592
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
Not sure if your issue is sorted. Since you are in NCR would suggest visiting Cool Days in Lajpat Nagar. They are very good with AC work. They should be able to rectify it for you.
The problem is still there. I am leaving it as it is for now. I am not comfortable going out everyday for getting the car fixed due to COVID-19. Due to low running because of Covid I will manage somehow this year and I might probably sell this of before next summers. I can’t go to Lajpat Nagar just to listen it’s not a problem with AC please see a mechanic. Because that’s exactly what has been happening with me . When I see an AC mechanic he sends me to car mechanic stating there is nothing wrong with the AC. And the car mechanic says both the fans are working the thermostat is already out the radiator is clean so there no issue left with the car. We all deserve better things in life. I wouldn’t want to waste anymore time fixing this sick car. After almost five years of ownership I am saddened to say Civic is my second car which I loved most and now hate to the core. First being a Maruti Esteem. I had three in past.
Old 12th June 2020, 19:04   #9593
BHPian

Quote:
The ORVM is not operating automatically anymore since yesterday. The motor makes a whirring sound and is most likely running.
I had the same problem about a year back, just disconnected the motor at HASS, now using my hands to adjust the old-fashioned-way!

The LHS works properly, it is only the driver's side which is dead.
manim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2020, 13:15   #9594
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
It's the same as that is in maruti esteem. If MASS has it in stock, it becomes easy for you. But since esteem is out of production, may be not, may be you have to place an order and wait.

Else please ask coolkurt to source it from Delhi, I have been to that place along with him, and courier to you.
Thanks laluks & Sumeet. Just had this fixed at a small fng auto electrical workshop. Luckily, they were able to source a denso motor in less than an hour. Looked legitimate as far as I could tell and had a Made in Japan inscription.

Cost 3,800 + 600 labour. So much cheaper than the 12k HASS quote. Plus since I needed it urgently and due to these crazy times with businesses getting hit, I wasn't in a mood to negotiate.

Also, the 100k service at HASS seems to have noticeably breathed new life into the car. Is muh more nimble. I first thought they had inflated the tyres, but they didn't. Damage was 28k, included changing engine mount, all 4 iridium spark plugs, automatic transmission fluid and coolant in addition to usual things like air filters and engine oil.

Thanks again for the advice. Appreciate it very much. The Civic is ready to go anywhere, anytime once again !
coolvenk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 12:12   #9595
BHPian

Hi,

Need recommendations from Team-BHP members based out of Hyderabad.
Which is the most dependable Honda authorised After Sales Service workshop in Hyderabad among all the Honda workshops locally?

So far I have been taking my Civic to Pride Honda Hitech City.. Are they Okay or is there another service centre which is better than them?

Any advice?
Old 25th June 2020, 14:13   #9596
Distinguished - BHPian

Bought a set of front brake pads from Boodmo for my cousin’s Civic. Since we needed the part urgently, got Uno Minda which was available instantly. My first experience with Boodmo and it was good. Ordered on 21st and the pads were delivered today morning.

Now coming to the car, the front disc is in bad shape and will require skimming. If it was my car, I would have preferred changing the disc itself but we will try to first get it skimmed in this case. If it works, good enough.

The car needs rear pads too.
Old 29th June 2020, 11:47   #9597
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
The same can be fixed by wheel alignment. It shouldn't be a problem. The rack repair bill is on the higher side. I paid 4k to get mine fixed. But then, repairs and spares are a lot cheaper in Delhi.

You're lucky it's the pipe not the pump. A proper repair job should keep the car running for a couple of years atleast. Before new issues crop up.
Hi, can you tell me from where you got the rack fixed in Delhi. Plus I need to get the hydraulic, subframe & gearbox mountings changed also. Thanks
Old 29th June 2020, 12:05   #9598
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
Hi, can you tell me from where you got the rack fixed in Delhi. Plus I need to get the hydraulic, subframe & gearbox mountings changed also. Thanks
You can get all the parts at Ghai Spares, Savitri Nagar, Malviya Nagar. I'll share the number.

The proprietor Arun Ghai can also guide you to a mechanic to carry out the repairs. I had got the rack repaired for Rs 4,000 in 2017.
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2020, 12:44   #9599
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik0502 View Post
The problem is still there. I am leaving it as it is for now. When I see an AC mechanic he sends me to car mechanic stating there is nothing wrong with the AC. And the car mechanic says both the fans are working the thermostat is already out the radiator is clean so there no issue left with the car. We all deserve better things in life. I wouldn’t want to waste anymore time fixing this sick car.
What you are going through can be extremely frustrating indeed ! I really feel for you. But I thought you were taking it to the Honda workshop ? You should do that ! They should be able to diagnose the problem properly. I had the cooling coil changed about a couple of years back from Honda and the total damages were 23K including change of the a/c thermostat & filter.

Most roadside mechanics, howsoever reputed they may be, are not able to diagnose the issue on either my Honda City or Civic. I get both the cars serviced every 5000 kms from Honda and make note of issues they may list down and get it fixed from a known mechanic after telling what exactly needs to be changed & procure the parts myself. This has served me well. My City is Jan. 2006 model, so it has got got another 6 months to go before it gets scrapped. This is a bit of a shame as the car is in perfect running condition & has 1.90 L kms on the odo. I just ensure that I get all repairs done on time including schedule servicing from Honda only. The Civic is 11 years old with 1.1L kms. on the odo and in great condition. It just needs a change of the gearbox & subframe mounting which I will get done in due course & a PS leak which requires a top up once every 3-4 months.
I just thought I will share my experience with Honda cars for everyone's benefit Hope you will be able to get the issue sorted out with your Civic a/c. You will hardly get anything in resale and it would be a shame to let go of it. Please have Honda diagnose it once and have them only fix it !!
Timothy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2020, 13:00   #9600
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
What you are going through can be extremely frustrating indeed ! I really feel for you. But I thought you were taking it to the Honda workshop ? You should do that ! They should be able to diagnose the problem properly.

Most roadside mechanics, howsoever reputed they may be, are not able to diagnose the issue on either my Honda City or Civic. I get both the cars serviced every 5000 kms from Honda and make note of issues they may list down and get it fixed from a known mechanic after telling what exactly needs to be changed & procure the parts myself.

You will hardly get anything in resale and it would be a shame to let go of it. Please have Honda diagnose it once and have them only fix it !!
Hi Timothy,

My car is also serviced at Honda. The only thing that was done outside before the cooling coil issue were the break pads. I got brembo for Civic. I did take the car to Honda & the mechanic diagnosed it to an issue with thermostat since the fans were turning on at 100* C wherein as per him the fans should turn on at 96*C. He suggested to get the thermostat removed from outside since they will have to change the thermostat as well as radiator as per protocol. I was okay with it if it solved the problem but because of lockdown their production was hampered and they didn’t have parts in stock. So I got the thermostat removed from outside. The fans were kicking in at 98*C which my mechanic said is okay. But the issue is still not resolved. The other day I was out the AC cut off when the coolant temperature was 92*C. I am completely clueless. I really don’t have strength for this. My mechanic has given up on the problem. And Honda would change the radiator, the thermostat and that’s not going to solve the problem for sure the next in line they want to change the compressor which will cost 60-70 K.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks