Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2017, 07:39   #8086
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

"You have a leakage from the steering pump and rack" is something that I've been hearing for 3 years now, every time I take my car for service. I had a leaky pump in 2014 but I'd gotten it replaced through my trusty FNG. A minor leakage was attributed to a faulty O ring and that too was replaced. I've not had any issues with the PS post that but I was given a very gloomy picture when I got to HASS last week too ( Southend Honda, Mathura Road). I brushed their 'concern' aside and I've clocked 3500 kms in a month on my 10 years old Civic with no issues whatsoever.
Spacers at the rear has seen the ground clearance improve by a couple of inches resulting in the most stress free driving I've seen in a long time
coolkurt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2017, 09:45   #8087
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
Spacers at the rear has seen the ground clearance improve by a couple of inches resulting in the most stress free driving I've seen in a long time
Hi coolkurt, are you referring to shock absorber spring buffer? If yes, could you please share some pictures and kindly point to the shop/place, from where your good self had procured these.

Regards
Kunal
Old 21st March 2017, 14:05   #8088

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
"You have a leakage from the steering pump and rack" is something that I've been hearing for 3 years now, every time I take my car for service. I had a leaky pump in 2014 but I'd gotten it replaced through my trusty FNG. A minor leakage was attributed to a faulty O ring and that too was replaced. I've not had any issues with the PS post that but I was given a very gloomy picture when I got to HASS last week too ( Southend Honda, Mathura Road). I brushed their 'concern' aside and I've clocked 3500 kms in a month on my 10 years old Civic with no issues whatsoever.
Hello

If possible, request details of the spacers please, with pics if possible.

Regards

Gary
Old 21st March 2017, 15:37   #8089
BHPian

Something extremely surprising happened today.

As I got into the car to drive off to work, I lowered the driver side glass to let the warm air out. As I pulled it up, the anti-pinch rolled it back and then when I tried to roll it, to my surprise, the glass came loose from the winder and was stuck halfway while the winder motor was moving freely.

I took the glass out and drove to Honda ASS and left the car for inspection. My SA was also surprised to know that the glass got loose from its holding. He has gotten back stating that the winder motor will have to be replaced along with the glass. Fortunately the winder motor is covered in the extended warranty however I will have to pay for the glass which they do not have in stock and will arrive in 3-4 days. The glass is not damaged, however a bracket which holds the glass onto the winder motor has gotten loose and hence a new glass is required.

I can't figure out how this happened. It certainly hasn't happened to our other cars.

Best,
Enigmatic

Last edited by Enigmatic : 21st March 2017 at 15:39.
Old 21st March 2017, 19:42   #8090
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
PS overhaul which is needed due to seals issue costs around 6k at FNG.Did you by any chance had upsized tires against factory size. Also what was exactly wrong with the speedo.
Honda quoted 9k for what you mention. I had the car raised and checked personally, there was a hairline crack on the pump body.
Tyres were stock.
On parking in the open, during rains, my Speedo would light up even if there was no key in the slot, resulting in slow draining of the battery. My battery was discharged 3-4 times with nobody realising the cause, not even hass. One fine day, I was lucky to spot the phenomenon myself and then took it to hass. Post 5 mins of inspection, they said the motherboard was corrupted and the entire Speedo unit had to be changed.(12k). The problem is once they enter it in their database, any service center you take it to, gives the same diagnosis. Took it to various fngs, almost everyone was of the opinion that this was better done at the oem.I had no issues in the rest of the year(frequent occurrence during the rains) so had resolved to do something before the rains again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunal_kaushal View Post
I know it would have been very hard for you to part with your less driven (48k) civic, that too at such a low price.
I bought it pre owned for 4.4 lakh in 2013, (42k driven, company owned)so the hit was mitigated to some extent. The car had a few niggles leading me to suspect that the actual odo reading could've been higher.(cartrade certified though)

Quote:
1. HASS have been known to have malpractice of advising to change/replace the power steering pump and rack, even if the leakage is minute and may have happened due to damaged or worn out seals, they seldom agree to do repair jobs.
I agree, it's either replace or leave it.

Quote:
I
You mentioned there was a pool of oil under your car, just for curiosity sake, had you/HASS topped up the steering fluid in past?
Had a service done, checked steering fluid topped up, after 2 days, found it less than half full.

On the bright side, owned and drove a car that was my dream.
Just got a bit of good news.. Had renewed my insurance for 12k in Jan, realised the cover note was missing. Called up policy bazaar and raised it hadn't been renewed at all.. They are refunding the money now. So that's another 12k to the kitty.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 21st March 2017 at 20:25. Reason: Merging back to back posts
Old 21st March 2017, 20:36   #8091
BHPian

Today I noticed wetness on right side of engine. What can be the reason of this oil leak? (p.s. spool valve seal has been changed recently)
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img_20170321_200425.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img_20170321_200435.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img_20170321_200441.jpg  

Old 21st March 2017, 22:29   #8092
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techcoze View Post
Today I noticed wetness on right side of engine. What can be the reason of this oil leak? (p.s. spool valve seal has been changed recently)
Seems like the engine cover packing has worn out.

Regards
Kunal
Old 21st March 2017, 23:52   #8093
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by handsofsteel View Post
Honda quoted 9k for what you mention. I had the car raised and checked personally, there was a hairline crack on the pump body.
Tyres were stock.
On parking in the open, during rains, my Speedo would light up even if there was no key in the slot, resulting in slow draining of the battery. My battery was discharged 3-4 times with nobody realising the cause, not even hass. One fine day, I was lucky to spot the phenomenon myself and then took it to hass. Post 5 mins of inspection, they said the motherboard was corrupted and the entire Speedo unit had to be changed.(12k). The problem is once they enter it in their database, any service center you take it to, gives the same diagnosis. Took it to various fngs, almost everyone was of the opinion that this was better done at the oem.I had no issues in the rest of the year(frequent occurrence during the rains) so had resolved to do something ....
I have the same issue with the speedo. But since my car is a daily driver the battery(Amaron) never drained. Once it dries up the speedo goes normal. One possible solution is to disconnect battery and reconnect it. This would at times solve the issue. I dread the monsoons because of this problem.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post3735368

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 21st March 2017 at 23:56.
Old 22nd March 2017, 06:09   #8094
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
I have the same issue with the speedo. But since my car is a daily driver the battery(Amaron) never drained. Once it dries up the speedo goes normal. One possible solution is to disconnect battery and reconnect it. This would at times solve the issue. I dread the monsoons because of this problem.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post3735368
I was doing the same. Whenever I would park, I would disconnect the battery lead. Slightly cumbersome to open and shut the bonnet time and again.
Old 22nd March 2017, 13:00   #8095
BHPian

Hi All,

Need some advise, after 111000 kms following issues have cropped up

1. Left axle (cv joint) has gone bad (clicking under mild/hard acceleration), should I get it repaired/changed locally (1.5 - 2 k/5.5 k -7 k respectively) or get the whole unit changed at HASS (15 k + labour charges).

2. Clicking noise coming from right suspension, I am assuming the ball joints and Shock absorber mount have gone bust. I am planning to get the ball joints changed at HASS, but as far as I know they don't provide just the mounts for shocker and try to sell the whole Shock absorber unit, please guide a place from where I can purchase just the mounts as shock absorbers are not leaking and springs are fine too.

Regards
Kunal

Last edited by kunal_kaushal : 22nd March 2017 at 13:18. Reason: fixed a typo.
Old 22nd March 2017, 15:03   #8096
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

Need some advise, after 111000 kms following issues have cropped up

1. Left axle (cv joint) has gone bad (clicking under mild/hard acceleration), should I get it repaired/changed locally (1.5 - 2 k/5.5 k -7 k respectively) or get the whole unit changed at HASS (15 k + labour charges).

2. Clicking noise coming from right suspension, I am assuming the ball joints and Shock absorber mount have gone bust. I am planning to get the ball joints changed at HASS, but as far as I know they don't provide just the mounts for shocker and try to sell the whole Shock absorber unit, please guide a place from where I can purchase just the mounts as shock absorbers are not leaking and springs are fine too.

Regards
Kunal
You can try sourcing axle from spareshub.com i think its available there for half of HASS cost. The mount can be purchased from a reliable spares shop.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2017, 15:11   #8097
BHPian

Quote:
You can try sourcing axle from spareshub.com i think its available there for half of HASS cost. The mount can be purchased from a reliable spares shop.
Thank you Sumeet, appreciated you sharing the website, will have a look and order in a short while.

Also was on phone with HASS and as usual the price of spares shared were unbelievably high

1. Ball joint 3600 per unit labour not included.
2. Axle (Left side for MT variant) 17300 without the labour (of course) and around 24k + labour for AT variants
3. Shock Absorber 12000 per unit + Labour.
4. Door Pad 6500 ( issue was, the leather trim on the door arm rest developed blisters as usual HASS people informed whole door pad needs to be changed) + Labour.

Regards
Kunal

Last edited by kunal_kaushal : 22nd March 2017 at 15:16. Reason: added some more info
Old 22nd March 2017, 18:32   #8098
Distinguished - BHPian

Has anyone tried the multi-brand service center- Mahindra First Choice for getting their Civic serviced? Since it has come up really close to my place of stay, it will far easier for me to take the car to first choice rather than the HASS, which is also, for some reason, shut on sundays! Also, I believe that charges would be more reasonable at firstchoice.

Wanted to know about the quality of work, charges, reputation and availability of spares at Mahindra firstchoice. Is it a viable option for us, Civic owners?

Regards,
Saket.

Last edited by saket77 : 22nd March 2017 at 18:36.
Old 22nd March 2017, 21:57   #8099
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi coolkurt, are you referring to shock absorber spring buffer? If yes, could you please share some pictures and kindly point to the shop/place, from where your good self had procured these.

Regards
Kunal
Rather than a spring spacer, the folks at Ghai recommended something else. What I got is a buffer installed at the base of the shocker. The original buffer is just about 2 mm thick piece of rubber. The one I got installed is about 2 inches thick. Damages: Rs 500.
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2017, 12:23   #8100
BHPian

With a heavy heart, I have posted my Civic for sale. It's a 2010 model V-MT which has done around 36000 Kms. Please check the classified section if anyone interested. I have written the description there.

Most Viewed