Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2017, 16:42   #7966
BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by techcoze View Post
Possible to quickly check OBD error code (if you have OBD dongle available), it will give some pointer I feel.
Thanks techcoze,

Unfortunately I do not have an OBD scanner handy. Will see if the issue repeats itself while leaving from office tonight. Hoping for the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@Enigmatic; Very emasculated performance on a warning is quite normal. It is a 'get you home' system coming in.

I suspect it is just 'one of these things'. An intermittent problem is the toughest to diagnose and cure. Maybe you can get the system checked out. What you describe could be a sensor about to fail.

Your vibration problem, seems to be mount related'. every engine is rougher before it warms up.
Thanks Sgiitk,

I read about bad mounts leading to vibrations during cold start. However, the mounts were examined only last week at Honda and everything seemed fine.

I hope it was a problem never to resurface again.

Will update this thread post my drive back to home.

Best,
Engimatic
Old 17th February 2017, 18:52   #7967
BHPian

Hi, Could some one please throw some light on the gear box type that is used in honda civic AT models , does this come under AMT , CVT or DSG? i searched through many threads and i am not able to find this information. I am in process of buying a used civic and have come across 2008 V AT civic low run and car is in great condition. As i am very new to automatics not sure if its right choice to pick or to ignore. it would also be great if you could advise if there are any common problems that i can expect from automatic cars when compared to geared ones. kindly advise
Old 17th February 2017, 22:22   #7968
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by challa View Post
Hi, Could some one please throw some light on the gear box type that is used in honda civic AT models , does this come under AMT , CVT or DSG? i searched through many threads and i am not able to find this information. I am in process of buying a used civic and have come across 2008 V AT civic low run and car is in great condition. As i am very new to automatics not sure if its right choice to pick or to ignore. it would also be great if you could advise if there are any common problems that i can expect from automatic cars when compared to geared ones. kindly advise
The Civic should have a CVT type transmission i think. Though not familiar with AT issues one should look out for the blinking of the D light while driving. This means there is some issue with the tranny. Also please ask for a complete service history of the car from authorised service centres. The ODO can be rigged so do make sure you take the car to Honda for inspection and full service history from day one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
Thanks techcoze,

Unfortunately I do not have an OBD scanner handy. Will see if the issue repeats itself while leaving from office tonight. Hoping for the best.
Avoid putting in any additives. I don't see why you need them if the car is properly serviced. Just make sure you fuel up from a reliable petrol pump. Hope the issue goes away on its own.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 17th February 2017 at 22:25.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2017, 00:25   #7969
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techcoze View Post
Possible to quickly check OBD error code (if you have OBD dongle available), it will give some pointer I feel.
Quote:
@Enigmatic; Very emasculated performance on a warning is quite normal. It is a 'get you home' system coming in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post

Avoid putting in any additives. I don't see why you need them if the car is properly serviced. Just make sure you fuel up from a reliable petrol pump. Hope the issue goes away on its own.
Gentlemen,

Drove the car back home from office. It was parked for approximately 10 hours hence was paying close attention to how it behaves during the cold start.

It started fine, no vibrations and no check engine light. It drove as if nothing had happened. Tried varying driving styles (sports mode + floored the throttle and bumper to bumper) and it behaved perfectly normal.

Drove to my regular pump and filled it up to the brim.

I hope that this issue doesn't happen again. Would be taking the car for the planned weekend drive if everything seems normal tomorrow morning.

Irrespective of the above, the car is headed to the ASS on Monday morning for a detailed check-up and scan.

Thanks,
Enigmatic

Last edited by Enigmatic : 18th February 2017 at 00:26.
Old 18th February 2017, 10:02   #7970
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
Irrespective of the above, the car is headed to the ASS on Monday morning for a detailed check-up and scan.
I hope you do not end up with a Ass as SA and / or mechanic. I know Honda crowd is better, but there are imps everywhere. Maybe you talk to the SM about your problem.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2017, 12:21   #7971
Team-BHP Support

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Mumbai friends. I have a 2009 civic with OEM music system and suddenly found that only my left side speakers are working and the right don't seem to be working (no sound from right).

Where should I take this for check up. At Honda authorised service aftermarket service station or any standard place like rhyme n rhythm types that does aftermarket music systems. I just want it fixed, not looking at changing anything unless I have to.

Thanks
Old 19th February 2017, 16:24   #7972
BHPian

Is it possible to read evaporator temperature using OBD device? Everywhere I read that external thermometer is used to check AC vent air temp, I was wondering if we can read evaporator temperature sensor value over OBD. Have anyone tried this?
Old 19th February 2017, 20:31   #7973
BHPian

Quote:
I hope you do not end up with a Ass as SA and / or mechanic. I know Honda crowd is better, but there are imps everywhere. Maybe you talk to the SM about your problem.

Thanks Sgiitk,

Just came back from a 500km drive and the car drove beautifully. Massive respect for the way it handles.

Although the issue never came up again and I haven't noticed any vibrations on cold start, yet the car is going to Honda for a checkup. After all a promise to the car is a promise to be kept.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Mumbai friends. I have a 2009 civic with OEM music system and suddenly found that only my left side speakers are working and the right don't seem to be working (no sound from right).

Where should I take this for check up. At Honda authorised service aftermarket service station or any standard place like rhyme n rhythm types that does aftermarket music systems. I just want it fixed, not looking at changing anything unless I have to.

Thanks
Axe,

In all probability either the speaker wire has somehow gotten disconnected or the speaker has given up.

In either case, it's better to get this checked from an audio shop and not Honda. You never know what they may end up charging for a relatively simple job.
Also you might see this as an indication to get a basic audio upgrade. Components in the front and you will never go back to stock speakers.

P.s. Before you do any of this ensure that your fader and right-left balance on the head unit is all set to 0.

Best,
Enigmatic

Last edited by Enigmatic : 19th February 2017 at 20:34.
Enigmatic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2017, 20:45   #7974
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks
Honda doesn't do music systems, they offload Any and all repairs. Arya Honda advised me to go outside, I intend to go to rhyme and rhythm.
handsofsteel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2017, 09:12   #7975
Team-BHP Support

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Thanks guys. I did check fader settings and they're fine. These are the exact two issues I suspect and I intend to get it checked. Had spoken to rhyme and rhythm and they told me to bring the car in. I agree it's no point going to Honda. They only understand replace and probably won't do a simple repair job even if that's all that's required.

I think I might just get a speaker upgrade if required although I'm not inclined to spend too much as this really my beater car.

Last edited by Axe77 : 20th February 2017 at 09:14.
Old 20th February 2017, 09:40   #7976
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks guys. I did check fader settings and they're fine. These are the exact two issues I suspect and I intend to get it checked. Had spoken to rhyme and rhythm and they told me to bring the car in. I agree it's no point going to Honda. They only understand replace and probably won't do a simple repair job even if that's all that's required.

I think I might just get a speaker upgrade if required although I'm not inclined to spend too much as this really my beater car.
Maybe you can also think of opening door panel yourself to check and fix issue. Its beginner DIY level task. Most probably speaker connection in door panel need fix. Also BTW does dashboard tweeters on faulty side working OK? If yes, then its for sure just speaker issue, or else issue on HU / initial wiring side.
Old 23rd February 2017, 08:48   #7977
Senior - BHPian

Of late, there has been some squeaking noise coming from the rear suspension. I've not been able to pinpoint the exact location. Plan to take it to the FNG and get it diagnosed. For now, I'm using music to drown the sound

I've gotten the front suspension replaced, not touched the rear suspension till now. My car is 10 years old and has run over 1,40,000 kms. Ironically, its now that it's facing the worst roads - construction sites in gurgaon etc and long highway runs over the weekend, owing to the nature of my work. From the recent experiences, the rear bottoming out is becoming a major flashpoint. Barring that, I've had no problems whatsoever till date.

My question is, considering the age of the vehicle, is it advisable to install coil spring adjusters at the rear or should I go in for a stiffer suspension setup at the back? Will the 10 year old rear struts be able to sustain the addition of the spring adjuster?
Old 23rd February 2017, 09:34   #7978
BANNED

@coolkurt; Yes, Gurugram gives the feeling of a perpetual building site. Our son is in Golf Course Road, so we know it first hand. Hopefully, I hope they will sort out things one day, as I hear has been done to the approach to Cyber City. 140,000 is a real long innings for the rear suspension. My Civic is with my son in Gurugram. I had put in rubber spacers about four years ago and the bottoming is almost history. I suggest you give a 'shake up' to the rear suspension esp. the dampers, and then go this way.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2017, 09:59   #7979
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by challa View Post
Hi, Could some one please throw some light on the gear box type that is used in honda civic AT models , does this come under AMT , CVT or DSG?
None of the above, it has a torque converter. This is a run-of-the-mill standard automatic transmission.

Quote:
I am in process of buying a used civic and have come across 2008 V AT civic low run and car is in great condition. As i am very new to automatics not sure if its right choice to pick or to ignore. it would also be great if you could advise if there are any common problems that i can expect from automatic cars when compared to geared ones. kindly advise
Cars with automatics have slightly higher maintenance and running costs compared to manual shift. They are:

a) Higher wear and tear on the brake pads

b) Increased fuel consumption

c) Automatic transmissions are very fussy about transmission fluid levels AND the quality. Keep a very close eye on the level and make sure you use ONLY approved AT fluids at all times. Do not play guessing games with the type or grade of transmission fluid.

d) If/when they fail or turn problematic ATs by virtue of the increased mechanical complexity are far more expensive to repair than a MT.

So, if you're buying a use AT Civic, get the transmission and engine checked by a Honda dealer or a reputable technician. Check the warning lights on the dashboard for any malfunctioning components including the airbags.

Low mileage is no guarantee of a problem free car. Some owners or used car sellers are even known to tamper with the odometer. So, also ask for the car's service history. Check the tyres for cracks and signs of ageing. Ditto with the brake and accelerator pedals. They will give you an approximate indication of how much the car has been used.

The Civic is a low slung car compared to other Jap cars in India. Have the car raised on a ramp or a hoist and check for under-body chassis and suspension damage.

Good luck!

Last edited by R2D2 : 23rd February 2017 at 10:01.
Old 23rd February 2017, 10:38   #7980
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
Of late, there has been some squeaking noise coming from the rear suspension. I've not been able to pinpoint the exact location. Plan to take it to the FNG and get it diagnosed. For now, I'm using music to drown the sound

I've gotten the front suspension replaced, not touched the rear suspension till now. My car is 10 years old and has run over 1,40,000 kms. Ironically, its now that it's facing the worst roads - construction sites in gurgaon etc and long highway runs over the weekend, owing to the nature of my work. From the recent experiences, the rear bottoming out is becoming a major flashpoint. Barring that, I've had no problems whatsoever till date.

My question is, considering the age of the vehicle, is it advisable to install coil spring adjusters at the rear or should I go in for a stiffer suspension setup at the back? Will the 10 year old rear struts be able to sustain the addition of the spring adjuster?
My car is also of same age as yours, with 1.35 lakh KM on odo. I had installed coil spring adjusters 4 years ago (@ 1 lakh km ODO), and still going strong, no issue so far. (just ensure to get best quality dampers available in market, there are cheaper versions as well).

Rear suspension seems to have quite long life, few months ago @1.30lakh KM odo reading, i replaced rear srtuts. There was no issue with my civic's rear suspension, just I got good deal on rear struts along with front suspension components, hence changed it since it had churned out lot of KM so far. After removing & comparing rear struts with new ones, i noticed slight weakness in them in terms of damping power, but surely they could have lasted more 20-30k KM more.

Get it checked at FNG, rear suspension work should not be as expensive as front.
techcoze is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed