Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2017, 12:55   #8071
BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Hi All,

Apologize for the long post, but did not see this topic being covered anywhere else.

My Civic just turned 9 years today (2008) 1.8 SMT. Its not seen that many kms (approx 51000 kms till date). Have not had any major servicing till date other than the regular maintenance & oil change as explained by the service center. Since am not intricately familiar with the what would be the maintenance requirements at this stage, need some advise.

1) Do I need to go in for any specific part change at this other than brake pads, etc.

2) Should the clutch be replaced. The car has not been driven very hard. However lately it becomes cumbersome to get the car out of clutch. Mean its not very bad, but I remember it being smooth earlier.

3) Sometimes after a long drive (upwards of an hr) I hear a low whining noise from the engine compartment. It was not there earlier.

Am not looking sell this car to get another, so am looking for any advise that will keep this it going for at least another 5 years.

Thank You.
Old 19th March 2017, 12:59   #8072
BHPian

On the leather cover subject, mine too has OEM one. It's been holding well except for one place, can someone suggest any simple fix for this? It's on the driver side, I'm attaching the pic. Wouldn't really mind a matching color patch or something if it serves the purpose:
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-1489908534931.jpg  

Old 19th March 2017, 13:33   #8073
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post
On the leather cover subject, mine too has OEM one. It's been holding well except for one place, can someone suggest any simple fix for this? It's on the driver side, I'm attaching the pic. Wouldn't really mind a matching color patch or something if it serves the purpose:
Hi, would suggest that you to kindly visit auto accessories shop (the ones which are in manufacturing of automotive seat covers) as they woyld be capable enough to replace whole piece with art leather/leatherite of somewhat similar colour.(please be aware that the colour of the replaced piecewould not be an exact match of the shade present in our cars.)

Regards
Kunal
kunal_kaushal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2017, 13:50   #8074
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by runeet View Post
1) Do I need to go in for any specific part change at this other than brake pads, etc.
If your car has been regularly serviced I believe the service centre advisor would have taken the age and mileage into account and suggested part replacements if necessary. But let me take a stab at what I believe I'd have to do for my car (a Corolla Altis) which turns 9 this year in October.

If not already done, air filter and spark plugs would be up for change. And depending where you fill petrol even the petrol filter. There would be other things to check such as the suspension bushings and shock absorbers/struts but I assume they are checking out ok as you have not said ride comfort and suspension noises are a matter of concern. Gearbox/differential oil check and top up if required.

Quote:
2) Should the clutch be replaced. The car has not been driven very hard. However lately it becomes cumbersome to get the car out of clutch. Mean its not very bad, but I remember it being smooth earlier.
No need to replace the clutch unless it is slipping, car delivering poor mileage or reduced performance. The Civic has a hydraulic clutch. Get the brake fluid (common to both brakes and clutch) drained, refilled & brake system bleed done.

I get the brake fluid changed every 3 years. Brake fluid is hygroscopic and absorbs moisture. This affects braking. So it must be changed every 2-3 years. Get this done when you have the pads replaced.

Quote:
3) Sometimes after a long drive (upwards of an hr) I hear a low whining noise from the engine compartment. It was not there earlier.
Check drive belts, the AC compressor and alternator. It could also be a AC blower OR radiator fan whine.

PS - Just FYI, in my car and other Corolla Altis models the rear brake pads wear out faster than the front pads.

Last edited by R2D2 : 19th March 2017 at 13:54.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2017, 14:07   #8075
Distinguished - BHPian

^ Civic has iridium spark plugs, and need replacement only after 100,000 kms. The service centre must have had taken care of the replacements until now as per the mileage. And as far as I remember the instruction manual has a detailed table exhibiting replacement/ checking of various system and parts needed at specific kms on the odometer.

Regards,
Saket.
saket77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th March 2017, 14:24   #8076
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post

Even I had the same issue in my car and I had the door pad arm rest replaced at HASS for about Rs 850. It's a five minute job if they have the part. Else they will order and get it for you.
surgvij is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2017, 14:35   #8077
Distinguished - BHPian

Quick question for DIY guys here: how to open the ORVM cap on the Civic?
Checked some YouTube videos but still not sure about it.

Thanks in advance,
Saket.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2017, 16:11   #8078
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
^ Civic has iridium spark plugs, and need replacement only after 100,000 kms. The service centre must have had taken care of the replacements until now as per the mileage. And as far as I remember the instruction manual has a detailed table exhibiting replacement/ checking of various system and parts needed at specific kms on the odometer.
True, all owners manuals have those tables. But after close to a decade a car's odometer and replacement time table would sync up only for a minority especially in case of petrol cars which unlike their diesel counterparts see far lower running.

For e.g. a 9 year old car would have been expected to clock 90K-100K kms while most petrol engine cars would have probably clocked a fraction of that.

Some ASCs go blindly by the elapsed time i.e. a 9 year old car would need X no. of new parts when the car actually needs only a smaller set of parts replaced. This is true at least in my case so I draw up a specific list that I want the service technician to check & replace. If the table and mileage are in sync then just go by what is suggested in the owners manual.

So Civic comes with Ir plugs as standard (NGK?), that's good because I had to buy Denso Ir plugs separately from Toyota and fit them myself. The car came with standard Denso plugs.

Last edited by R2D2 : 19th March 2017 at 16:31. Reason: Addition
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2017, 19:47   #8079
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:

My Civic just turned 9 years today (2008) 1.8 SMT. Its not seen that many kms (approx 51000 kms till date.

2) Should the clutch be replaced. The car has not been driven very hard. However lately it becomes cumbersome to get the car out of clutch.

I was in the same boat 2 weeks back. 2008 vmt (48000k).HASS asked me to replace the clutch.I thought it was natural for it to age in 10 years. However, before I could do so, I heard the same whining noise. Out of the blue.All of a sudden.. Took it for its annual servicing, was told by hass that
1. Power steering was the culprit.
2. Hoses (12k+3k) had to be replaced.
3. Engine driven Pump had to be overhauled.9k
4. Rack had to be replaced 21k.
5. + labour. Totally amounting to 48k + taxes.
Took a 2nd opinion from a fng who said problem was only in the pump body which would've to be replaced at 17.5k. Was not convinced but saw oil pooling below my car when parked(not sure whether it was there before or not). The fng also recommended to change the front suspension at 35k as the same was also leaking oil. (Vintage). Dunno whether that was true as HASS hasn't diagnosed that. Therefore, staring at total expenses of 17.5+ 35+ 15(for clutch)+ 12.5k a possible digital Speedo replacement(diagnosed by HASS leading to draining of battery) = 80k just one fine day out of the blue,
Took a long hard thought and with a heavy heart decided to sell it. Got a ready buyer with neft transfer at 1.7 lakh in as is where is condition. Other issues it had were- front door lock misbehaving with the key (no issues with central locking though).
Still dunno whether I took the right call or not.
Old 19th March 2017, 23:02   #8080
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by handsofsteel View Post
I was in the same boat 2 weeks back. 2008 vmt (48000k).HASS asked me to replace the clutch.I thought it was natural for it to age in 10 years. However, before I could do so, I heard the same whining noise. Out of the blue.All of a sudden.. Took it for its annual servicing,
==
Totally amounting to 48k + taxes.
======
Still dunno whether I took the right call or not.
Wow that's one hell of a servicing bill. I want to keep my vehicle but this is truly scary. Don't have any issues with the suspension or the speedo as yet (but might have in the future). However the whining sound I hear is only after I have driven the car for some time & that to its quite faint but distinguishable.

Another query - do I need to get the injectors also cleaned (de-carbonated) coz a friend of min after driving it recently said that the car was feeling 'starved' while driving. Not sure what he meant by it exactly. But wanted to get more information on it.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 21st March 2017 at 20:38. Reason: Edited quoted post for better readability
Old 20th March 2017, 05:20   #8081
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
======
Another query - do I need to get the injectors also cleaned (de-carbonated) coz a friend of min after driving it recently said that the car was feeling 'starved' while driving. Not sure what he meant by it exactly. But wanted to get more information on it.
Check for oil pooling below your car. The whine could be for any one of several reasons. I have no idea about the injectors.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 21st March 2017 at 20:39. Reason: Edited quoted post for better readability
Old 20th March 2017, 12:00   #8082
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was in the same boat 2 weeks back. 2008 vmt (48000k).HASS asked me to replace the clutch.I thought it was natural for it to age in 10 years. However, before I could do so, I heard the same whining noise. Out of the blue.All of a sudden.. Took it for its annual servicing, was told by hass that
3. Engine .
PS overhaul which is needed due to seals issue costs around 6k at FNG.Did you by any chance had upsized tires against factory size. Also what was exactly wrong with the speedo.
Old 20th March 2017, 13:15   #8083
BHPian

Quote:
3. Engine driven Pump had to be overhauled.9k
4. Rack had to be replaced 21k.
5. + labour. Totally amounting to 48k + taxes.
I know it would have been very hard for you to part with your less driven (48k) civic, that too at such a low price.

1. HASS have been known to have malpractice of advising to change/replace the power steering pump and rack, even if the leakage is minute and may have happened due to damaged or worn out seals, they seldom agree to do repair jobs.

You mentioned there was a pool of oil under your car, just for curiosity sake, had you/HASS topped up the steering fluid in past?

Why I am asking is because I had a similar issue, where HASS had informed me that the steering pump and rack was leaking, also I too used to find oil drops on the floor where the car was parked so I thought their diagnosis was correct (I started keeping a bottle of steering fluid handy in case if need arise for refilling the reservoir) till the day, I noticed that the oil was dripping profusely now and instead of 2-3 droplets as earlier, there was a large wet patch on the floor, fearing the worst I checked the steering fluid reservoir and to my surprise the oil level was normal.

I then checked the engine oil level and to my horror the engine oil level was low (the HASS had just changed the engine oil 2-3 days back), I was furious, called the SA and inquired, 'why the engine oil level was low ?', He didnt had any answer and requested me to send the car back. While I was on way back the Engine distress light lit up, I quickly stopped the car to check the issue and behold engine oil was flowing out from back of the engine, luckily my FNG was near by, I requested him to come and inspect the cause.

I had already parked the car on solid ground just next to road and FNG guy arrived in around fifteen minutes. On closer inspection he found that the o ring/seal for i-vtec spool valve had cracked and caused all the fiasco, he also mentioned that the engine cover packing has developed leaks at two places and were leaking oil and around 3 of major engine seals had gone bad due to constant exposure to the oil coupled with dust and grime, for long period (1 and half year or so).

I was dumbstruck, I towed my car to HASS (Ring Road Honda), I met with the Floor manager (Mr. Harpreet) and shared my displeasure with the unethical and unprofessional behaviour of HASS staff/technicians. He was very apologetic and arranged a meeting with the GM (Col. Sehgal) at that very minute only and Col. Sehgal after hearing what had happened, instructed the technicians to get the seals/o-rings changed and the labour charges were waived off. Though it was not a happy ending as my car was parked there for almost 10 days ( The parts were not there) and when the car was returned, the very next day power steering failed while I was driving (steering hose wasn't secured properly with the clamp and as a result it got severed ), also the arm rest cover was broken as well as left side mirror motor had stopped working when the car was returned back to me.

To cut the story short the HASS tries their level best to extract money with wrong diagnosis all the time. Also the funny part is steering pump and rack didn't had any leakage ever.

Apologies for such a long post.

Regards
Kunal
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img20161118wa0011.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img20161118wa0005.jpg  

Last edited by kunal_kaushal : 20th March 2017 at 13:38. Reason: deleted some lines.
kunal_kaushal is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th March 2017, 13:57   #8084

Quote:
Originally Posted by techcoze View Post
Attachment 1614859

As per Civic parts catalog, OEM part number of this clip is 91501-SEA-003 (I hope you are speaking about same clip above fender)
Just search this part number on aliexpress and you will find many options available. Dimensions you provided seems to be slightly different than dimensions of of this OEM part number.
=====
Hello

Pardon me if this request has already appeared before, but would be obliged if you can share the Civic part catalog please, mine is a Dec 2007 model.

Regards

Gary

Last edited by khan_sultan : 21st March 2017 at 20:40. Reason: Edited quoted post for better readability
Old 20th March 2017, 14:21   #8085
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary123 View Post
Hello

Pardon me if this request has already appeared before, but would be obliged if you can share the Civic part catalog please, mine is a Dec 2007 model.

Regards

Gary
You can download it from here... https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx...UNDd0E2UjFIV0U
techcoze is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed