Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2017, 17:43   #8131
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsubrama2 View Post
Guys what do you think about Honda's requirement on servicing every 3 months? Even within warranty, don't you think it is a little too much?
It is a loot. See carefully the three months thing is also a check up and not service. Says it all. I have all our Honda's (Civic, Brio, City, Amaze) on the following schedule - Once a year or 10,000km whatever comes first. If the car is high mileage (the City is) then I may even stretch to 15,000km. Honda ASS does not like it, so be it. Earlier when I had Hyundais it was the same.
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2017, 02:20   #8132
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
It is a loot. See carefully the three months thing is also a check up and not service. Says it all. I have all our Honda's (Civic, Brio, City, Amaze) on the following schedule - Once a year or 10,000km whatever comes first. If the car is high mileage (the City is) then I may even stretch to 15,000km. Honda ASS does not like it, so be it. Earlier when I had Hyundais it was the same.
Completely agree with you. I used to do the same with the Honda city I had. Once a year is good enough for these cars since the running is usually less than 10k(what else would you expect from a petrol car).
In fact I started to notice more faults than fixes after about a month of service. So sometimes I even avoided servicing even after a year, and only went when i could personally overlook the work done.

Once a year servicing doesn't mess with the reliability of these cars but the dealer may disregard your warranty if you don't follow the schedule(but the civic is free from this now)
agambhandari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2017, 14:03   #8133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunal_kaushal View Post

Also I have noticed that the supposed steering rack leakage has subsided, when it came back from servicing the oils was dripping profusely and now there are just 1-2 drops under the engine bay, the oil level hasn't gone down even by a millimeter (I have been checking the level in reservoir diligently everyday since the leakage was reported to me).
Update : The leakage has stopped altogether, also the muck and oil coating that was there when the car came back from servicing has gone too, after a through under body wash at local FNG (sincere thanks to laluks for mentioning the same in his previous post.).

So this yet again points to the foul play which has become an integral part of HASS operations (wrong diagnosis and pushing for replacing the non defective parts in order to lynch money from unsuspecting customers), which most of us have been experiencing in past and even now a days through out India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Depending on HASS is not the way to go for big ticket items like Rack/PS. Rest is upto you.
Thanks Sumeet, I have dropped the idea for parting away with the ride I adore the most, have deactivated the advertisemnet.

Regards
Kunal

Last edited by kunal_kaushal : 3rd April 2017 at 14:17. Reason: Added some text appreciating the advise of the persons, that have helped me.
kunal_kaushal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2017, 14:41   #8134
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
Completely agree with you. I used to do the same with the Honda city I had. Once a year is good enough for these cars since the running is usually less than 10k(what else would you expect from a petrol car).
In fact I started to notice more faults than fixes after about a month of service. So sometimes I even avoided servicing even after a year, and only went when i could personally overlook the work done.

Once a year servicing doesn't mess with the reliability of these cars but the dealer may disregard your warranty if you don't follow the schedule(but the civic is free from this now)
I always have a theory less sleeping dogs lie. All these tricks only valid once you are out of warranty. This is one reason I dislike extended warranty - they have you over the pickle barrel longer.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2017, 15:48   #8135
BHPian

My regards to all the fellow BHPians!

This is being my first day and first post from my desk&,

I have recently bought a pre-worshipped Civic V-MT MY Sep '10. Just wanted to know whether it is BS3 or BS4 complaint vehicle since it is neither mentioned in the vehicle's RC nor in the Vahan portal.

The confusion in my mind aggravated when the person at the PUC center told that he can provide 3 months or 1 Year validity certificate as per my choice.

PS: While hunting for my car and checking the registration numbers on Vahan portal, in some registration numbers its mentioned as BS4 while some they do not mention BS at all. Please help.

Thanks!
ashishrathi88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2017, 16:09   #8136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishrathi88 View Post
My regards to all the fellow BHPians!

This is being my first day and first post from my desk&,

I have recently bought a pre-worshipped Civic V-MT MY Sep '10. Just wanted to know whether it is BS3 or BS4 complaint vehicle since it is neither mentioned in the vehicle's RC nor in the Vahan portal.

The confusion in my mind aggravated when the person at the PUC center told that he can provide 3 months or 1 Year validity certificate as per my choice.

PS: While hunting for my car and checking the registration numbers on Vahan portal, in some registration numbers its mentioned as BS4 while some they do not mention BS at all. Please help.

Thanks!
Hi Mate, welcome to Team-BHP !!!

AFAIK I am aware the Bharat Stage IV emission norms have been in place since April 2010 for all metropolitan cities (DELHI/NCR included) and all the vehicles those were allowed to get registered in Delhi/NCR, post April 2010 were BS-IV, so assuming that you have bought a Delhi registered vehicle which was manufactured in Sep' 2010, yours is a BS IV compliant vehicle.

Also I think (but not sure) the PUC guys always gives this option (3 months or 1 year PUC) to the vehicles that are BS-IV compliant.

Regards
Kunal

Last edited by kunal_kaushal : 3rd April 2017 at 16:28. Reason: added some more info.
kunal_kaushal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2017, 16:21   #8137
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Mate, welcome to Team-BHP !!!

Regarding your query, post 2010 all the vehicles which were registered in Delhi/NCR were BS-IV. Also I think (but not sure) the PUC guys always gives this option to the vehicles that are BS-IV compliant.

Regards
Kunal
That's a good news. But I wonder why the Vahan portal is having two different acronyms for the car make even though the registration in my case was done in Jan '11.

Like in the some other numbers i checked, my car should also have reflected as Honda civic V MT BS4 but actually BS4 is missing.
Old 3rd April 2017, 16:51   #8138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishrathi88 View Post
That's a good news. But I wonder why the Vahan portal is having two different acronyms for the car make even though the registration in my case was done in Jan '11.

Like in the some other numbers i checked, my car should also have reflected as Honda civic V MT BS4 but actually BS4 is missing.
Hi Mate

I am not too sure why this is happening, I think it doesn't display the Bharat Stage information.

I have attached a snapshot of the information provided by www.vahan.nic.in about my vehicle, also if i try to get the same information via sms, it doesn't gives any result.

regards
Kunal
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-432017-44157-pm.jpg  

Last edited by kunal_kaushal : 3rd April 2017 at 17:01.
Old 3rd April 2017, 18:38   #8139
Distinguished - BHPian

Looking into buying a pre owned honda civic. But i know absolutely nothing about this car. What should i look out for and which vintage? How much should i pay for a good example in bangalore?
Old 3rd April 2017, 19:00   #8140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Looking into buying a pre owned honda civic. But i know absolutely nothing about this car. What should i look out for and which vintage? How much should i pay for a good example in bangalore?
Tbhp member is selling his , check below .

http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...da/Civic.html/
Old 3rd April 2017, 19:34   #8141
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
Tbhp member is selling his , check below .

http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...da/Civic.html/
Not getting personal, but i found his asking price a bit steep for a second owner car which is over 6 years old. I will be the third and the next guy is gonna really take me to the cleaners with a resale couple of years down the line.

Whats your call on this?
Old 3rd April 2017, 22:23   #8142
Senior - BHPian

That's quite steep for a second owner Car!
You should be looking for ~5 lakhs IMHO there are pretty good ones out there if you do the search
Old 3rd April 2017, 22:32   #8143
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
That's quite steep for a second owner Car!
You should be looking for ~5 lakhs IMHO there are pretty good ones out there if you do the search
Thanks lalu. I knew you are an extremely long term owner of this car, so if anything comes up in your civic circle, please do hit me up. Others I am considering are a more recent edition of the brio, a similar vintage corolla or even an ecosport. All different cars yes, but i am tied to a sharp 5 lakh budget for a car that will not see North of 800 kms a month. Only looking at mass market car companies with exceptional service back up.
Old 3rd April 2017, 22:46   #8144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Thanks lalu. I knew you are an extremely long term owner of this car, so if anything comes up in your civic circle, please do hit me up. Others I am considering are a more recent edition of the brio, a similar vintage corolla or even an ecosport. All different cars yes, but i am tied to a sharp 5 lakh budget for a car that will not see North of 800 kms a month. Only looking at mass market car companies with exceptional service back up.
Service wise HASS are more like blood sucking leeches. That said, knowledgeable bhpians like laluks can always point you to right FNGS.

Last edited by kunal_kaushal : 3rd April 2017 at 22:49.
Old 3rd April 2017, 22:48   #8145
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Service wise HASS are more like blood sucking leeches
That's good to know. Guess for the more expensive cars like the civic? Maybe the brio has lower costs because it is a cheaper car?

Will seriously look at the corolla too. People over on that thread are just gaga over the low maintenance.

Most Viewed