Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2017, 22:42   #8116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
I just renewed mine with Reliance, paid 11K for 10 year old Civvy. NCB is only 25% though.
How much is your IDV?
Old 25th March 2017, 22:59   #8117
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by techcoze View Post
I renewed my car insurance 1 week ago. Cost 13k for IDV of 5.55 lakh, from Bajaj alianz. NCB 25%.

Cost is increased due to rise in 3rd party insurance amount for cars with more than 1500cc engine. Today got mail from policy bazar that same is going to increase even further post 1 April 2017. So maybe it will be wise to renew insurance before that (is applicable)
I wonder what is with the insurance companies. I was quoted 17K for 4.74L as IDV with 20% NCB by Bajaj Allianz itself! Not in sync with your premium at all. Plus, although my car bears a WB plate but is now registered in Ranchi. Bajaj Allianz website does not gives you the option to enter the city of registration and by default selects the city based on the registration number. I put it down to lack of concept. Hence dropped it.

The TP premium hike has now become a norm every year. See the historical hike in the table itself. And quite cleverly, the third party premium is hiked every year so that even those are in the gamut who renew only third party policy. Surely need to check even if the companies are paying out at this rate against third party claims.

I had filed a third party claim case quite some years ago. Went for a few hearings too and realised that I am just wasting my time and money. I did not withdraw the case but have heard nothing from the lawyer too since then. So, while I was entitled for compensation, I lost a few grands to the lawyer without a single rupee received from the insurance company. Thank you but I think we are financing the salary hikes of the corporate honchos more than anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
I was trying to renew the policy (last date is 31 May actual) thinking i may save a few thousand rs in the process. My last year own damage premium was around 6.4k and now it has been hiked to twice on HDFC website taking the premium to be paid to 14.4k. Last time i had paid just 11.4k. I called up HDFC and they said premium is hiked since age of vehicle has crossed 10 years and hence it has become twice. Frankly i am not buying it but is this true or just a cock and bull story.
How much is the IDV? The own damage column will spike up if you choose high IDV. I renewed with a 3L IDV, thinking it to be a fair IDV and paid 11.4K to HDFC. Own damage premium was 4503 before NCB (20%).

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
I just renewed mine with Reliance, paid 11K for 10 year old Civvy. NCB is only 25% though.
Looks reasonable. Can you please share the IDV with us so that we may draw a comparison.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2017, 00:20   #8118
BHPian

Quote:
I have had my Civic's PS/Rack leakage twice in 6 years of ownership. The first time it cost me a bomb at Honda (22k). Second time I was wise enough to avoid those blood suckers. A Rack overhaul cost me 6.5k and the PS overhaul cost me a mere 5.5K at two different garages. Even today HASS had said in its remarks that there is leakage in the above 2 components which i am ignoring as i know they are just cut pasting everything from the old service history.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post4166218

The CV joint is available at spares.com for 6.4k. The ball joints cost 1280 each side. Unless the shockers are bleeding/leaking there should be no need to change. Even if they do each side should cost not more than 8k (spareshub.com again).

You dont have to change everything at one go. You can always take the critical components first eg the CV joint and get the rest stuff later on. The idea is to find a good FNG. Depending on HASS is not the way to go for big ticket items like Rack/PS. Rest is upto you. There are people who have done 140k kms + on Civic with little trouble.
Hi Sumeet, really appreciate you taking time out to answer my queries and pointing me towards the the spares website.

The reason I got disheartened/frustrated was that I had given a car that was not leaking steering oil (not even a single drop, since the last episode I have developed the habit of checking the under side of car for traces of oil almost everyday, so I would have known if the oil was leaking) for normal service and competent staff of Ring Road Honda (HASS) gave back a car which was dripping oil like some one has sliced the hoses and to top it the coolant was getting sprayed from a pipe, in the engine compartment, near the air filter.

On inquiring about the oil leakage the Senior Service manager Mr. Jitender said, 'one cant be sure when mechanical parts fail' I was like seriously, you arent sure about the durability of the components of HONDA and they can fail anytime ??? also the odometer of the car indicated it was driven for three kilometers since I gave the car for service (that too after the test drive of the vehicle was already done.) and moreover the fuel was gone with no bars being shown on MID, as opposed to three bars at the time of handing over to the SA. They didnt had any answers to all these and points to something fishy at HASS's end.

Also I was really disappointed with the rude and unprofessional behaviour of Service Head (can't recall his name Surender or Suraj Prakash) and his sub ordinate (Mr. Deepak Bisht) related to Service, they made me feel that what ever happened, is due to my negligence and it was entirely my fault, also they and their able staff did all the right work since beginning
(which includes wrong diagnosis, not listening to customer complaints etc.). Mr. S. Prakash also said that I should be thankful that they waived off labour charges last time, to which I humbly replied that 'I had took a hit of 28k because of wrong diagnosis of your technician/SA since day one and you feel I should thank you', but he was adamant that it wasn't their fault, he also added that 'Do you think We have done some magic to your car due to which the steering rack has started leaking?' Come on, Does a senior management person, communicate to customers in such a way?

Anyways on hearing such comments and non sense, I simply got up, instructed to stop all the work on the car at once and hand it back, but guess what the car (leaking oil and coolant) was given back to me after almost 1 hour 20 mins and to top it all, a bill of INR 4515 along with it.

All this has really shaken my trust for Honda Service /Honda Products/ Honda Employee Ethics / Customer Relations. :(
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-screenshot_20170326002941.png  

Last edited by kunal_kaushal : 26th March 2017 at 00:37. Reason: Added a picture.
kunal_kaushal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2017, 08:47   #8119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunal_kaushal View Post
All this has really shaken my trust for Honda Service /Honda Products/ Honda Employee Ethics / Customer Relations. :(
Hello Kunal,I had similar issues of Honda overcharging and billing me for wrong diganosis. Originally my PS pump was not leaking but the hose was. Honda told me first the PS was leaking (along with rack) and after i gave go ahead they told me even the hose was leaking. Only the hose was the problem and not the PS. I wrote to higher ups in Honda but nothing came of it. I simply changed my HASS and went to a different place. My new advisor is a decent guy. Even in last service the HASS personnel mentioned PS leakage in the service remarks but my advisor did not say a word about it.

What it seems you need is to change the HASS. I know it is difficult to find a decent one but you can always find a good FNG. Time and again i have mentioned on this forum if ever the cost to fix something by a garage/HASS is high always take a second opinion. Bhpian AceF355 had maintained his Civic for a healthy 1.4 lac km from a FNG. Not sure if he is located in your area maybe you could ping him and get his FNG guys no.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...t-sold-36.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
How much is the IDV? The own damage column will spike up if you choose high IDV. I renewed with a 3L IDV, thinking it to be a fair IDV and paid 11.4K to HDFC. Own damage premium was 4503 before NCB (20%).
IDV is 348495 including CNG kit value. Is it advisable to change it ?

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 26th March 2017 at 08:52.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2017, 10:29   #8120
Senior - BHPian

My IDV was 3.65 lakhs.

Regarding PS leaks, ever since the car turned 35K Kms, my SA always used to push me saying clutch has to be overhauled and PS pump needs careful review. My clutch went on till 1.25lakhs, and PS pump is still fine touch wood. At 40K, they showed me leaks under the engine bay, I ignored them and said do nothing about it. I always took it to FNG for a thorough wash and check. It always turned out to be the HASS putting some grease near the pump area and take it for a test drive to attract some dust and muck!!

I am now comfortable with two FNGs, one for bigger works like a clutch overhaul and the other one for daily nick nacks. Its working perfectly well.

Also when it comes to some spares, I get it from Honda or Ghai spares and do the work from FNG. Honda gets cranky at times for the spares, but I push them through. But major spare parts I have not yet sourced from HASS, mostly filters, resonator, suspension bush, mud flaps, liners and also a left door liner inside!!
laluks is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th March 2017, 22:37   #8121
Senior - BHPian

Found this website for OE type spare parts. Lots of parts are available for the Civic it seems and one can browse the category on the left side tree list.

https://boodmo.com/catalog/3327-air_...7-honda-civic/

Might be work a look if anyone needs anything instead of directly approaching HASS.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 28th March 2017 at 22:39.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2017, 00:33   #8122
Senior - BHPian

I was just going through some old Civic threads and was wondering about bhpians DOT and Mdsaab both have been long gone from team bhp. Any idea where these gentleman are upto now and whether they still have their Civic's ?

Thanks.
Old 29th March 2017, 12:58   #8123
BHPian

Hi All, HASS has struck again, I am guessing that one of their able staffer had removed the dust caps of my aftermarket projector headlamps which resulted in thick layer of dust getting accumulated all over the projector and reflectors of the headlamps, thus ruining the headlamps altogether (they now have non existent throw), I have reverted back to stock setup till the time I sort the after market ones.

They also kind of tore the red reflective tape over the grill so I removed it also.

Also I have noticed that the supposed steering rack leakage has subsided, when it came back from servicing the oils was dripping profusely and now there are just 1-2 drops under the engine bay, the oil level hasn't gone down even by a millimeter (I have been checking the level in reservoir diligently everyday since the leakage was reported to me).
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-ruined-heamlampsii.jpg  

Last edited by kunal_kaushal : 29th March 2017 at 13:23. Reason: Added some more information.
Old 29th March 2017, 17:49   #8124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunal_kaushal View Post
Hi All, HASS has struck again,
Did you bring it up with them ? Why would the dolts want to fiddle with them in the first place ?
It's for this reason I always make sure to replace my K&N with the normal filter whenever I have to give it for routine service.
WasavaTyres is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2017, 18:04   #8125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasavaTyres View Post
Did you bring it up with them ? Why would the dolts want to fiddle with them in the first place ?
It's for this reason I always make sure to replace my K&N with the normal filter whenever I have to give it for routine service.
Hi Mate,

I asked the same question, they said it was one of 56 point check up routine where they check the focus et all and as usual ignored my point that these were not soiled when I had given the car for servicing and as matter of fact blamed it on the after market headlights.

I even showed them the pics which was taken couple of days back where the reflectors were spotless but as always they didn't acknowledge the same.

Last edited by kunal_kaushal : 29th March 2017 at 18:21. Reason: Added some more info.
Old 1st April 2017, 03:51   #8126
BHPian

Hi All,

Did anyone upgrade the stock horns in Civic. My Civic's horn is malfunctioning. I got a roots horn for myself. Thought about going the DIY route. Opened the bumper and figured out that the connector on the roots and the ones in the car are completely different. Do we get a converter in the market or slicing the wire is the only way now.
Old 1st April 2017, 08:54   #8127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik0502 View Post
Hi All,

Did anyone upgrade the stock horns in Civic. My Civic's horn is malfunctioning. I got a roots horn for myself. Thought about going the DIY route. Opened the bumper and figured out that the connector on the roots and the ones in the car are completely different. Do we get a converter in the market or slicing the wire is the only way now.
Hi Mate,

I have got after market horns installed in my car ( I think those are either roots or minda), there's an wiring harness that was used and I am sure the same is readily available in most of the auto accessory shops.

EDIT : Attaching a picture/diagram of wire harness (complete with relay and fuse) which is commonly used by accessory shops for upgrading horns in the vehicles.

Regards
Kunal
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-images1.jpg  

Last edited by kunal_kaushal : 1st April 2017 at 09:20. Reason: Added some info.
Old 2nd April 2017, 14:16   #8128
BHPian

Guys what do you think about Honda's requirement on servicing every 3 months? Even within warranty, don't you think it is a little too much?

Say every 'odd' service is the 'major' service where they change the engine oil / oil filters. Then every 'even' service is one where they just do a 'check up', i.e. not a single element is changed. They charge Rs. 1500 for this check-up. Is this just too much?

If the 'odd' service costs Rs. 5.5K, then the average annual service costs is Rs. 14K. Isn't this a rip off? What IS the need for the 'even' service? They don't even change a bolt. Just check-ups, that's all!!!

In the US they need you to service only once a year or in 15K miles (24K KM), or for severe conditions, once in 6 months or 7.5K miles (12K KM). Even if you consider 'ours' as 'severe conditions', we should be require to service once in 6 months, that's all ...

This is daylight robbery in my opinion ...
nsubrama2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2017, 15:00   #8129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsubrama2 View Post
Guys what do you think about Honda's requirement on servicing every 3 months? Even within warranty, don't you think it is a little too much?
This is daylight robbery in my opinion ...
If your car is out of warranty dont bother going for every 3 months and stick to 6 to 12 month service interval. Honda guys irked me off so much by calling every 3 months that after the last major service done i have blocked their nos on my phone.

If your car is under warranty ask them to show a circular/notice from Honda which says the cars needs service every 3 months. Refer to your owners manual for service interval for this. I am sure it would be min 6 months and not 3.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2017, 15:16   #8130
BHPian

Quote:
If your car is out of warranty dont bother going for every 3 months and stick to 6 to 12 month service interval. Honda guys irked me off so much by calling every 3 months that after the last major service done i have blocked their nos on my phone.

If your car is under warranty ask them to show a circular/notice from Honda which says the cars needs service every 3 months. Refer to your owners manual for service interval for this. I am sure it would be min 6 months and not 3.
I agree Sumeet, but they 'silently' devalue your car. I realised that later on. When you have your car evaluated, you're quoted a lower value. I also happened to enquire what would be the cost of ATW (Anytime warranty, i.e. extension beyond the regular 2 + 2 years). And they quoted a value higher than it should've been.

I can't believe that they even tried to bully me saying that since you've not serviced it regularly, the warranty cannot be extended, which is rubbish!

In fact they have 2 different rates for ATW, one for service 'as per schedule' and one for service not as per schedule. GTO had published the figures in one of his posts concerning pre-owned vehicles.

Of course I didn't go for the warranty, I was just inquisitive. So ultimately it hurts you somewhere. It's an official rip off and there's very little we can do unless we collectively decide to expose them ...
nsubrama2 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed