Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2020, 20:21   #9616
BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Seriously guys, I sometimes find myself dreaming at night that I still own the car and that it is still parked in my society compound only to wake up and find that it was just a dream . Still curse and kick myself for selling her, it was worth all the trouble it put me through. Did fiddle with the idea of getting another used one but finances, parking woes, time etc these things keep putting the idea off :-(
Just noticed this thread after some time. This car is a Keeper. The joy one gets behind the wheel and just looking at it gives fantastic feeling.

Just spruced it up a little bit with a vinyl wrap for hood, roof and boot and a simple polish yesterday. Completed with couple of stickers. Mechanically the car is great condition by God’s Grace.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-a58446ba2f08496186a9182b8e4b78fe.jpeg  

swami69 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2020, 22:08   #9617
Senior - BHPian

Re: Clutch issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
I am experiencing the following issue on my 2010 VMT. I get the 'trrk' sound every time the clutch is depressed and generous doses of WD-40 have not helped in solving the problem permanently. The car has done about 35K in the last 10 years and is being used more frequently than ever before. From the reviews and comments on this thread, I suspect the clutch master cylinder to be the culprit. My apprehension of taking it to a HASS for diagnosis is obviously their charges. Is there any additional level of check I can do before confirming that it is indeed the master cylinder that needs to be changed? Any inputs would be appreciated. Thanks
When the cylinders are the culprit the clutch will feel limp. When you depress it will travel all the way to the floor and will feel as though it's not doing it's thing. The master and slave are around 9k a pop for the pair plus labour etc. The ttrk sound is just the pedal needing lubrication. Btw 35k makes your car nearly brand new .
Old 3rd August 2020, 22:15   #9618

Hi All,
Hope you are staying safe and healthy through these unusual times!

Need advice from all folks on a very scary experience i faced with my 2011 VAT Civic yesterday. I was driving with a fellow co-passenger. In front of my society gate is a short 200 m stretch to the main road. I entered this road and stopped at the side to get some groceries from a shop across the main road. I had put the car in neutral with the handbrake on and the engine running to keep the AC on with my co-passenger sitting in front. As I exited the shop, I could see my car parked 50 meters across the road start to crawl slowly and then accelerate to a speed of ~5KMs and then slowly veer across the road and stop after running over the road shoulder almost into a shallow ditch. I started sprinting towards the car as this scene happened, and reached to the car only when it had stopped, with my fellow co-passenger in a shocked state. He did not know how to drive, and the only thing that he did after realizing the crawling car was to pull the handbrake further. Thankfully, there was no major damage to the car apart from the bottom bumper getting a scrape, but things could have been drastically worse had it been a busy road. Adding to this, this has been the second such incident, the earlier one was where it just crawled forward and bumped an auto after a couple of meters. The car was on in neutral with the handbrake then, with my 3 yr old kid trying to move across the car. Had dismissed that time as a one-off thing where I assumed my kid's feet would have touched the brake or gear lever.

The car is due for its 80KMs service and hance, I am looking for advice on what all transmission components to check? Seems to be a case of loose clutch wire or something similar which is not able to hold gear positions sometimes? Had bought the car at 72.5K Kms in August last year and the car has run flawlessly with three roadtrips (approx. 1K KM each) and a lot of city -driving.
saurabhku12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2020, 00:47   #9619
Distinguished - BHPian

First check if the handbrake actually *works*. The handbrake cable is attached to the rear brake calliper in a ‘hooked’ manner. Just peep underneath and you’ll understand.
Also, the civic has a disc setup all around which makes the parking brake a little tricky than usual. There’s also a provision to adjust the cable tension. It can be something as simple as a lose cable which needs to be readjusted. Any half good mechanic should sort it out for you. Till then, use park in the AT box.

Regards.

Last edited by saket77 : 4th August 2020 at 00:50.
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2020, 19:53   #9620
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhku12 View Post
Need advice from all folks on a very scary experience i faced with my 2011 VAT Civic yesterday.

The car is due for its 80KMs service and hance, I am looking for advice on what all transmission components to check?
Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
First check if the handbrake actually *works*.
Till then, use park in the AT box.

Regards.
Yes, please use the Park mode while exiting the vehicle in addition to the handbrake, especially so if the engine is still running.
Based on what's being told, its highly unlikely to have clutch issue as the Civic's natural 'creep' is much more than the speed you described.
Old 9th August 2020, 14:14   #9621
BHPian

I need some help. Please look at the picture below. The ATF fill hole dip stick is visible. Next to that there is a pipe without any lid. It has always been like this since I got this car. The ATF level was little high earlier and due to that fact whenever it was hot little oil comes out of this pipe. Because if this. The oil drips under the engine and makes a mess. I could not find any other leak. The question is

Is this pipe supposed to be open like this OR any small lid should have been there ? OR any flexible pipe attached to this to drain out excess oil. Kindly advise with a photo of possible

Swami
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-e996eb880a94437a8c942375d6d56d24.jpeg  

Old 10th August 2020, 17:25   #9622
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami69 View Post
The question is

Is this pipe supposed to be open like this OR any small lid should have been there ?
That pipe is supposed to have a small cap. I will try to get you a picture of the same.

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-cap.jpeg

EDIT: Added picture

Last edited by sarathlal : 10th August 2020 at 17:44.
sarathlal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2020, 17:42   #9623
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
That pipe is supposed to have a small cap. I will try to get you a picture of the same.
Thank you and I figured it out today morning in the net. Transmission vent cap. Now, where to buy that from ? Or I will make a jugaad cap with required vents. 🙂

Swami
Old 11th August 2020, 01:01   #9624
BHPian

Hi all, can someone recommend a trusted garage around Ghatkopar (Mumbai) where I can get my cars water leakage issue sorted ? I guess there is rust at the cowl and at back speakers channel. HASS quoted 80K minimum to address this issue and I really lost it on them this time. Any help will be much appreciated. Cheers !!
Old 12th August 2020, 13:18   #9625
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think you should use a good quality grease. Hope it gets sorted. Please let us know.
Quote:
When the cylinders are the culprit the clutch will feel limp. When you depress it will travel all the way to the floor and will feel as though it's not doing it's thing. The master and slave are around 9k a pop for the pair plus labour etc. The ttrk sound is just the pedal needing lubrication.
Quote:
Try lubricating the clevis pin on the clutch pedal pivot joint before taking it to HASS. Take a look at the following picture. Part marked ’C’ is the clevis pin.
Regards.
Thank you for the insight and the picture which was very helpful. I spent some time last evening applying liberal doses of grease on the clevis pin and related parts. The strange thing I observed was that, on constant priming of the clutch pedal, the 'trrk' sound seem to go away only to resurface later. As of now, there is no issue with the operation of the clutch albeit it being a tad harder than normal. The take-off in the first gear(only the first gear) is a bit jerky. Will see for a couple of days and then take a call on taking it to HASS.

Quote:
Btw 35k makes your car nearly brand new .
Indeed. My usage has been limited and my drive split between the Civic and the Esteem (which is again a 17-yr old workhorse with 64k km on the odo). The Civic has picked up pace over the last few months with a daily running of about 60-70km due to the change in my workplace and being the only car to have an e-pass. FYI, the last 3k was covered over the last 3 months
rr_zen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th August 2020, 13:19   #9626
Senior - BHPian

With a very heavy heart I let go of my 2012 Honda Civic. The saving grace is that it has gone to a fellow Bhpian who am sure will take good care of her. The car never ever let us down and has been a stonking performer and a trusted, reliable companion in Kolkata, then in Bangalore and now in Delhi.
Altocumulus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 15:37   #9627
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
If the floor mats were wet both at the front and the rear, you can rule out a few things like wiper rusting etc. Can't be the front and rear windscreen either - because the floor mats wouldn't get wet because of that. Water cannot seep in from the windscreen and magically end up on the floor - front and back.

The problem has to be with the rubber beading on the doors (both front and rear) and the rubber beading in the cabin .
Hey, any idea what this could be ? The floor is wet everywhere inside my car. Ruled out AC water dripping from passenger side. See attached picture, I am yet to check my rubber seals on all doors. Will it be OK to do a DIY for rubber seals replacement if at all there is a leak identified from them ? Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-leak.jpeg  

Old 16th August 2020, 09:55   #9628
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoth001 View Post
Hey, any idea what this could be ? The floor is wet everywhere inside my car. Ruled out AC water dripping from passenger side. See attached picture, I am yet to check my rubber seals on all doors.
Did you check the AC drain pipe? It could be choked.
There won't be any water dripping from the passenger side. You'll only see the mats getting wet, since the water wouldn't have anywhere to go when you run the AC.

The only other explanation could be the door seals. But even that couldn't lead to the entire floor area and mats getting wet. The water ingress from a faulty door seal can simply not be that much.

My hunch is on the drain pipe. That'll be the culprit. I had faced a similar issue in my Civic a few years back.
coolkurt is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 21:36   #9629
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoth001 View Post
Hey, any idea what this could be ?
Hi Mate

I would suggest to please examine the joint beneath the weather strip on the roof just above the A pillar, which is prone to develop small gap due to deterioration of the sealing compund with age coupled with harsh weather conditions, at times the same is the cause if water entering the cabin from the area highlighted through the pic your good self has posted.

One important point to be considered though, the weather strips needs to come out in order to plug the hole/gap at the junction of the joint, which might prove difficult as the plastic strip in question is very fragile and prone to snapping.

FYI I too had the same issue of water dripping from the same place and was quoted a whopping 12k + labour charges around 3 years back at HASS.

Regards
Kunal
kunal_kaushal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 12:18   #9630
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
Did you check the AC drain pipe? It could be choked.
There won't be any water dripping from the passenger side. You'll only see the mats getting wet, since the water wouldn't have anywhere to go when you run the AC.

The only other explanation could be the door seals. But even that couldn't lead to the entire floor area and mats getting wet. The water ingress from a faulty door seal can simply not be that much.

My hunch is on the drain pipe. That'll be the culprit. I had faced a similar issue in my Civic a few years back.
Thanks, AC service was done few days ago and it’s not dripping from that point. It has to either be from cowl or back speaker base as there is visible rust at front and back windshield areas or the main culprit could be the rubber strips at all doors. I gave the car to 3M Chembur for verification.

Last edited by spoth001 : 17th August 2020 at 12:20.

Most Viewed