Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2020, 16:55   #9511
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavan_hurkat View Post
Guys, observed some oil drainage below. Engine oil levels are good when I verified. I do top up power steering oil time to time. Your thoughts?
Most of the Civic's have wet underbodies!

Double check the engine oil sump and gear oil. If both are fine then this is the result of continuous dripping of the steering oil.

Regards,
Saket
Old 10th January 2020, 21:54   #9512
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Most of the Civic's have wet underbodies!

Double check the engine oil sump and gear oil. If both are fine then this is the result of continuous dripping of the steering oil.

Regards,
Saket
Thanks bhai. Yes, the gear and engine oil are fine per the garage also. It seems I overfilled the steering oil to more than max level. The mechanic said the pressure is causing the steering pipe to leak oil. It may settle down after some days of driving. Sounds legit?
Old 13th January 2020, 13:03   #9513
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford5 View Post
Anybody with Rogerab duo on their civic in Bangalore? I want to get it for my civic, but since Im not sure it will help a lot, I wish to see a similar example. Michelin energy XM2 tyres on my car have carpeted the ride to a big extent, and I only wish to get Rogerab due to speed breaker height issues. Since mine is a 2011 model, the rear suspension is tuned better compared to the pre facelift civic and has better absorption of potholes or bad roads.
Suspension buffer works wonders! Have got it fitted on my Polo, BMW 320d and couple of friend's cars. All are working great! You should try it!
Old 13th January 2020, 15:01   #9514
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks bhai. Yes, the gear and engine oil are fine per the garage also. It seems I overfilled the steering oil to more than max level. The mechanic said the pressure is causing the steering pipe to leak oil. It may settle down after some days of driving. Sounds legit?
The oil leak has been minimised. Also, the fluid is at optimal range in the box. I believe overfilling it was culprit. I am still monitoring.
Old 16th January 2020, 01:11   #9515
BHPian

Guys, does it looks like a leak from hoses of power steering? I see the pipes with oil and dirt plus they are wet with oil grim. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-1579117214959.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-1579117226183.jpg  

Old 18th January 2020, 09:52   #9516
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, does it looks like a leak from hoses of power steering? I see the pipes with oil and dirt plus they are wet with oil grim. Thanks.
The PS pipes always seemed wet. As long as the level does not down in a week or two it should not be a problem. Keep an eye on the fluid levels. Also the PS fluid should always be filled between min and max and should not exceed the max level as it would cause pressure on the seals.
Old 18th January 2020, 11:32   #9517
BHPian

Is it advisable to buy a used Civic 2010 or 11 make with 50k km or so???
Just for the driving pleasure, I love that car overall.
Old 18th January 2020, 11:44   #9518
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren959 View Post
Why not! If you love a particular car, then what should stop you?
Just check the car well; replacements parts, though not hard to come by, but are surely expensive. Otherwise it is a very well built and reliable car.

Regards,
Saket
Old 18th January 2020, 12:37   #9519
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren959 View Post
Most probably a chauffeur driven car. Inspect the driver's seat and console thoroughly and be ready for clutch replacement. Other than that, check the underbody health and most importantly, rear suspension. It's a very good buy if you're not looking to carry a lot of luggage/passengers.
Old 18th January 2020, 19:33   #9520
BHPian

This is what I clicked when car was up on the ramp.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-1579356180007.jpg  

Old 19th January 2020, 12:05   #9521
BHPian

An out of box query- will the PS leak cause fire when the car is running on highways, etc?
Old 19th January 2020, 13:05   #9522
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
An out of box query- will the PS leak cause fire when the car is running on highways, etc?
No! My Civic has wet fluid pipes since long. But the fluid doesn’t really drip. So the levels don’t drop. I top up once in something like 5-6 months. If you’re really bothered, get the pipes washed gently after lifting the car on a ramp.

Last edited by saket77 : 19th January 2020 at 13:07.
Old 19th January 2020, 14:11   #9523
BHPian

Quote:
No! My Civic has wet fluid pipes since long. But the fluid doesn't really drip. So the levels don't drop. I top up once in something like 5-6 months. If you're really bothered, get the pipes washed gently after lifting the car on a ramp.
I topped up with STP Power Steering Fluid + Stop Leak bought from Amazon with good reviews. I hope it will work and I don't have to visit garage anymore. Strange thing is Honda is asking to visit for service every 3 months now.
Old 19th January 2020, 14:15   #9524
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I topped up with STP Power Steering Fluid + Stop Leak bought from Amazon with good reviews. I hope it will work and I don't have to visit garage anymore. Strange thing is Honda is asking to visit for service every 3 months now.
Honda classifies India as an ‘extreme’ environment for driving. According to this classification, 3 month is the service interval for the Civic. That said, I get it serviced once a year. My running is distributed between two cars and hence this one year is in line with around 5K kms interval for change of engine oil as well.
Old 19th January 2020, 14:21   #9525
BHPian

Quote:
Honda classifies India as an ‘extreme’ environment for driving. According to this classification, 3 month is the service interval for the Civic. That said, I get it serviced once a year. My running is distributed between two cars and hence this one year is in line with around 5K kms interval for change of engine oil as well.
I spoke to their mechanic inside workshop and he advised to get it serviced either at 10K KMs or 1 year. And advised to come for regular check ups at 3 months where there will be no fluid change, just inspection. I have running of 5K KMs a year with this machine.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks