Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2020, 15:37   #9646
BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pashin View Post
Yoko Earth 1, Michelin Primacy are my top 2 picks for the Civic, both in the 205 config offer a great ride and grip. Have used both personally
Thanks. Ultimately changed all four to Goodyear Assurance Triplemax. Saket, who changed his tyres to these in 2016 recommended these. Got a good price on them, and are said to be durable, and the unconditional warranty inspires confidence.

I've probably driven less than 100km with these and quite happy with them. They are silent and have nice ride quality and the steering has loosened a bit too. One weakness is that you do feel bumps and stones on the road and this has been noted in reviews before, so wasn't too surprising per se. The shop guy filled them to 32 psi; will try the Honda recommended 30 psi next time and see if this aspect improves a bit.

One observation now is that even with the prominent tyre shops one only seems to see 2019 manufactured tyres (even early-2019) at best. Some have significantly older stock. Production has seen a deep cut due to Covid-19, and many tyres weren't even in stock. Indeed, I could only find early 2019 or older examples of Yokohamas. For this reason, I also concluded that even with warranty claims, replacement tyres may become even harder to come by. As a result, I opted for the Goodyears, which are harder compound and presumably less prone to sidewall cuts and other issues that the softer compound ones tend to have. Also, with the pandemic situation, reliability becomes much more crucial, which was on my mind with this decision.
Old 23rd September 2020, 14:04   #9647
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoth001 View Post
The SA mentioned that they are going to use sealants and patch these up. As of now as you both detected, the culprit seems to be doors clog and the weather strip.
I have an issue with the weather strips on all four doors with the driver side having worn out very badly. This time when I gave the car for servicing at HASS I was quoted 1100 INR per strip. Left with no other choice, I have asked the SA to place the order for all 4. With rainy season setting in, I cannot afford to have water seep through the worn out weather strips.
Old 27th September 2020, 07:03   #9648
BHPian

Hi Folks,
I have been getting my Civic serviced at Ace Honda in Noida for the past 11 years, but now would like to look at alternatives. I am not happy with how they try to overcharge and try and do things that are really not required...
Could you guys suggest an alternate service centre in Noida or its whereabouts which does a decent job and is not a ripp-off like Ace Honda. I also need to get the engine mountings changed which may require lowering of chassis & want to avoid going to the crowded Sector 16 motor market during these pandemic times.
So any assistance on this would be highly appreciated.
Timothy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 07:08   #9649
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
Hi Folks,
I have been getting my Civic serviced at Ace Honda in Noida for the past 11 years, but now would like to look at alternatives. I am not happy with how they try to overcharge and try and do things that are really not required...
Could you guys suggest an alternate service centre in Noida or its whereabouts which does a decent job and is not a ripp-off like Ace Honda. I also need to get the engine mountings changed which may require lowering of chassis & want to avoid going to the crowded Sector 16 motor market during these pandemic times.
So any assistance on this would be highly appreciated.
Hey, why don't you try out World Of Service, there are a lot of positive reviews on the forum.
As for the engine mounts, they can be sourced from Boodmo.
Sreesh1009 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2020, 14:29   #9650
BHPian

I got a civic recently and take it to world of service, they do a good job most of the times
jayanttalwar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 13:05   #9651

Hi All,

I misplaced my power steering pump plastic cap after an inspection and cleaning. I have covered it with a silicone sheet for now, but need to put a cap immediately. Any ideas where I can get just the cap in Bangalore? I fear that the honda guys will try to sell me the entire assembly if I go to them.
Old 8th October 2020, 11:39   #9652
BHPian

Hello Folks,

Need a bit of your advise on my 2009 model Honda Civic MT, which I intend to keep for another 2.5 years. During the last servicing they diagnosed the following issues & I have been given the below mentioned costs by HASS (over phone). Although only the 3 mountings and the clutch cylinder need to be changed but they also advised to get the steering ball joint ends and the front shock absorbers changed. I had got the shock absorbers changed last year with aftermarket ones but HASS says that once the mountings are changed, the shock absorbers will start to make a noise and they would need to be changed. Based on your experience are these costs fine or should I go to an FNG and source aftermarket parts. I am not very comfortable to order parts online due to fitment issues and a bit unsure if I would be able to get good quality subframe and gearbox mountings. Aftermarket Hydraulic mountings, I think are fine as I have one currently installed on the car.

Besides they have also reported a leakage from the PS pump which doesn't seem to be much and I have to top up the PS fluid once in about 3 months or so. Can I just let this be for the moment ?

Your advise based on your ownership experience on this would be highly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-honda-civic-repair-costs.jpeg  

Old 9th October 2020, 00:56   #9653
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhku12 View Post
Hi All,

I misplaced my power steering pump plastic cap after an inspection and cleaning.
The bottle / reservoir itself costs about a 1000 bucks. For the cap, I've sent you a pm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post

Besides they have also reported a leakage from the PS pump which doesn't seem to be much and I have to top up the PS fluid once in about 3 months or so.
For HASS, the pricing looks decent. Ask for a warranty for the parts they replace. You'll obviously save some money if you get it done from an FNG.

I'd got a set of shock absorbers for the front for 7.5k. And the mounting is for another Rs 2500 a pair. They worked fine for a couple of years but the mounting gave in twice.
Eventually sourced the absorbers from a totalled Civic from Mayapuri, Delhi. Worked fine for 18 months after which I sold my Civic.

So if you're planning to keep the car for a few more years, might as well go with HASS. The parts last longer.

Ignore the PS leak. It's too trivial at the moment. Mine had a leak which needed topping up every 2 weeks but it never bothered me. This was after changing the rack and two PS Pumps. Once you touch the PS system on the Civic, it never gets fixed. Trust me
coolkurt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2020, 15:31   #9654
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Below is part no. As per Honda , the part has 6 months gurantee/warrantee. It is the latest which has been redesigned several times and should last longer. My after market mount went kaput in less than a month or so. Frankly only time will tell if the Honda mount lasts longer than the previous mount designs. As per the Honda advisor the internal spring mechanism which holds the mount has been redesigned for better holding up the weight. Let's see now how long it lasts.
Looks like it is time for my Civic to go through the engine mount replacement. The part number shared by Sumeet in the year 2016 is 50820SNLT01 and that was considered the latest version then. The one now on boodmo reads as 50820SNBJ02. Want to hear from fellow BHP-ians if any one has got the engine mount changed recently and if there is a new/better version available now.

Also would like to hear feedback on how the replaced mounts are faring till date. Thanks.
Old 26th October 2020, 13:58   #9655
Senior - BHPian

The brake light on my car suddenly came on and would not go off. Traced the issue to the brake light switch. HASS is quoting 1.2K for the switch and they don't have it in stock. Might take a week or more. For the time being I have disconnected the switch but not comfortable driving around without the brake lights. Question I have is if this is a simple DIY and can it be sourced from boodmo so I do it myself ? Thanks.
Old 26th October 2020, 14:06   #9656
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
The brake light on my car suddenly came on and would not go off. Traced the issue to the brake light switch. HASS is quoting 1.2K for the switch and they don't have it in stock. Might take a week or more. For the time being I have disconnected the switch but not comfortable driving around without the brake lights. Question I have is if this is a simple DIY and can it be sourced from boodmo so I do it myself ? Thanks.
This had happened to my car was well. You need not go to HASS. You can get an aftermarket one much cheaper and it will work just fine. If anything you should go for HASS for if the car is a keeper would be the engine mount.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2020, 14:32   #9657
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Looks like it is time for my Civic to go through the engine mount replacement. The part number shared by Sumeet in the year 2016 is 50820SNLT01 and that was considered the latest version then. The one now on boodmo reads as 50820SNBJ02. Want to hear from fellow BHP-ians if any one has got the engine mount changed recently and if there is a new/better version available now.

Also would like to hear feedback on how the replaced mounts are faring till date. Thanks.
I got mine replaced last year in November, with 50820SNLT01. Its holding good, but just an year old and running has been minimal.
Related post here (Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos)
sarathlal is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2020, 14:36   #9658
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
This had happened to my car was well. You need not go to HASS. You can get an aftermarket one much cheaper and it will work just fine. If anything you should go for HASS for if the car is a keeper would be the engine mount.
Thank you. Then I will order from boodmo and do it on my own.

Yes, the engine mount replacement is on the cards and I should get it done soon. The body vibrations are on the rise esp when starting the car. I want to be doubly sure that HASS orders the right version of the engine mount and hence my earlier post requesting for inputs on this.

I do intend to keep the car for a long time and it has just 37K on the odo.

Last edited by rr_zen : 26th October 2020 at 14:38.
rr_zen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2020, 20:50   #9659
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, the engine mount replacement is on the cards and I should get it done soon. The body vibrations are on the rise esp when starting the car..

I do intend to keep the car for a long time and it has just 37K on the odo.
Wanted to let know of one more thing with the mount.
For me, the deterioration was very fast. I started noticing the once in a while vibration and pretty very soon, it was horrible. To the extend that, on certain cold days, the entire car will literally shiver.
And like with most other Civic parts nowadays here in South, it takes ~2 weeks time for the parts to arrive after ordering. So please have this time frame in mind while planning.
sarathlal is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2020, 21:09   #9660
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi. Just check once if the plastic stopper in the brake pedal which pushes the brake switch is intact. Here on this thread, I’ve encountered civics having that plastic part shredded due to age; including my own car. I just placed a bolt as replacement as HASS didn’t have that part in stock.

Confirm before changing the switch.

Regards.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed