Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2017, 15:17   #7981
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

I was facing a peculiar issue:

Quote:
The air-conditioning works really well. I've done the diagnostic and there's no problem with the cooling or the fan speed. The issue only crops up during a long drive, when the AC needs to work for hours at a stretch. The fan speed becomes very low, although it still throws out cold air. If I switch off the compressor/ turn off the AC, and switch it on after 5-10 mins, it'll start working again. But this cycle continues. So every half an hour or so, I need to turn it off for 5-10 mins for it to work well again.
Someone on the forum had suggested that it could be a faulty relay. So i went up to southend honda at mathura road and asked them to change the AC relay. They started dilly dallying so i had to tell them that the other service center had diagnosed that it was the culprit but they didn't have the part. After making me wait for an hour, they finally replaced the relay.

I've done two long runs post that - 1200 kms and 780 kms and the issue hasn't cropped up again
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-1.jpg  

Old 23rd February 2017, 16:39   #7982
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
a) Higher wear and tear on the brake pads

b) Increased fuel consumption
a) Higher wear and tear on the brake pads.

Wrong information.My Civic AT (2010 Model) has run 110000 Km and had brake pad changed only once so far at around 70000 Km.It depends on driving style and maintenance.

b) Increased fuel consumption

In City,Yes but wrong for Highway drives. But Civic AT gives phenomenal Mileages in Highway drives due to tall 5th Gear.I got a maximum of 26.1 KMPL over a 100 Km Hyper mileage Test (I had posted a photo a few years back in this thread).I used to routinely get 16-18 KMPL until the time I stopped calculating.
ramanak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2017, 18:15   #7983
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
I was facing a peculiar issue:

Someone on the forum had suggested that it could be a faulty relay. So i went up to southend honda at mathura road and asked them to change the AC relay. They started dilly dallying so i had to tell them that the other service center had diagnosed that it was the culprit but they didn't have the part. After making me wait for an hour, they finally replaced the relay.

I've done two long runs post that - 1200 kms and 780 kms and the issue hasn't cropped up again
Hi,
Maybe the faulty relay was not allowing the compressor to cut off, hence the cooling coil/evaporator was getting iced up. That reduced the airflow. Once you switched off the AC manually, the ice melted and the evaporator air flow became normal again for some time.

This issue may also happen sometimes if the A/C refrigerant is slightly low. However, if your problem is solved not, it may not have been the case
VineetG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2017, 18:18   #7984
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techcoze View Post
Is it possible to read evaporator temperature using OBD device? Everywhere I read that external thermometer is used to check AC vent air temp, I was wondering if we can read evaporator temperature sensor value over OBD. Have anyone tried this?
I don't know if it can be read over OBD, but there is a diagnostic mode in the A/C panel itself, that can be activated by a combination of few buttons. It shows the evaporator temperature on the panel itself. It should be around 5 degrees C during normal stable operation.
But i dont remember the sequence or combination. Maybe you could google it or ask the HASS to do it

rgds
Old 23rd February 2017, 18:21   #7985
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VineetG View Post
Hi,
Maybe the faulty relay was not allowing the compressor to cut off, hence the cooling coil/evaporator was getting iced up. That reduced the airflow. Once you switched off the AC manually, the ice melted and the evaporator air flow became normal again for some time.
That's precisely what used to happen. I went for a refrigerant top up and it didn't solve my problem. Finally came down to the fuse. 10 years is a long time after all
Old 23rd February 2017, 18:23   #7986
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@coolkurt; Yes, Gurugram gives the feeling of a perpetual building site. Our son is in Golf Course Road, so we know it first hand. Hopefully, I hope they will sort out things one day, as I hear has been done to the approach to Cyber City. 140,000 is a real long innings for the rear suspension. My Civic is with my son in Gurugram. I had put in rubber spacers about four years ago and the bottoming is almost history. I suggest you give a 'shake up' to the rear suspension esp. the dampers, and then go this way.
What i've seen is that there are two types of dampers. One type is placed between the coil springs to prevent sagging and the other type is the one which is like a cap or something which is placed at the top of the strut.

Which one is advisable/ more effective?
Old 23rd February 2017, 18:42   #7987
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanak View Post
Wrong information.My Civic AT (2010 Model) has run 110000 Km and had brake pad changed only once so far at around 70000 Km.It depends on driving style and maintenance.
Yes of course it depends on many factors including the driving environment, style, road speed, maintenance, anticipating stops etc. But what I shared is an observation having driven auto transmission cars in India and abroad over a period spanning about 33 years.

Quote:
In City,Yes but wrong for Highway drives. But Civic AT gives phenomenal Mileages in Highway drives due to tall 5th Gear.I got a maximum of 26.1 KMPL over a 100 Km Hyper mileage Test (I had posted a photo a few years back in this thread).I used to routinely get 16-18 KMPL
until the time I stopped calculating.
I don't doubt what you say but I think at >26 kmpl your mileage is more the exception than the rule for a car in this class.

Two of my friends who had the Civic AT (now sold) generally got a mileage of 8-9 in the city and about 13-14 on the highway. This is with AC on and a complement of 1-4 passengers. And these are guys who love their cars not abuse them. Of course, none of them ever went on a 'kitna deti hai' run to actually check the maximum mileage the car could deliver.

Last edited by R2D2 : 23rd February 2017 at 18:50.
Old 23rd February 2017, 19:31   #7988
BHPian

Gentelmen,

What OBD scanners do you use for your civic? I am on the lookout for something which can connect to my phone via bluetooth and show relevant information on the phone.

Best,
Enigmatic
Old 23rd February 2017, 23:21   #7989
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Two of my friends who had the Civic AT (now sold) generally got a mileage of 8-9 in the city and about 13-14 on the highway. This is with AC on and a complement of 1-4 passengers.
My manual transmission Civic has more or less the same figures. Around 10 kmpl in the city. 14 in the highways. 15-15.5 kmpl if I keep it at a constant 80 kmph speed. With AC, full load. As the car is getting older, the mileage is showing signs of dipping.
Old 24th February 2017, 00:34   #7990
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My manual transmission Civic has more or less the same figures. Around 10 kmpl in the city. 14 in the highways. 15-15.5 kmpl if I keep it at a constant 80 kmph speed. With AC, full load. As the car is getting older, the mileage is showing signs of dipping.
Yeah, I could relate to the mileage you're getting. My Altis MT (it is very well maintained) gives me about the same mileage i.e. 10-11 in the city and between 13.5-14 on the highway, with AC on, luggage and 1-2 passengers. I generally drive at a pretty brisk pace i.e. cruise at 120 kph.

If the speeds are kept in the 80-100 range the car returns a mileage of 14.5-15.5 kmpl. But that speed keeps me slap bang in the middle of bunched up highway traffic including buses and assorted people carriers. Given the unpredictable nature of these drivers who suddenly brake, swerve etc I prefer to pull away and get to a clearer section of the road. Cruising at 120 kph is a 'sweet spot' where I keep clear of such traffic and make steady progress towards my destination. The 1-1.5 kmpl hit on fuel efficiency is acceptable to me. And yeah, I go by the tankful to tankful (nozzle auto shut off) method of ascertaining FE and consider the MID FE "trip average" and "current" values as only high level indicators. I also use this car management app to track mileage and expenses for both my vehicles.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ker.acar&hl=en

Last edited by R2D2 : 24th February 2017 at 00:36. Reason: Typo
Old 24th February 2017, 09:54   #7991
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Yeah, I could relate to the mileage you're getting. My Altis MT (it is very well maintained) gives me about the same mileage i.e. 10-11 in the city and between 13.5-14 on the highway, with AC on, luggage and 1-2 passengers. I generally drive at a pretty brisk pace i.e. cruise at 120 kph.

If the speeds are kept in the 80-100 range the car returns a mileage of 14.5-15.5 kmpl.
City mileage of Acvic depends a lot on where you are. In Kanpur I was getting 9-10 in town, goes up by about 0.5-1 in winters. . On the highway I regularly get about 14-16kpl, best being 17+. Highway mileage depends a lot on your right foot. If the iVTec kicks in regularly then the fuel mileage goes for a toss. On the other had if you keep a gentle right foot then mileage is excellent. My son who uses a heavier foot normally manages about 1.5-2 kpl lower on the highway. Unlike a City the second cam switches in much earlier on a Civic AT.
Old 24th February 2017, 10:51   #7992
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
City mileage of Acvic depends a lot on where you are. In Kanpur I was getting 9-10 in town, goes up by about 0.5-1 in winters. . On the highway I regularly get about 14-16kpl, best being 17+. Highway mileage depends a lot on your right foot. If the iVTec kicks in regularly then the fuel mileage goes for a toss. On the other had if you keep a gentle right foot then mileage is excellent. My son who uses a heavier foot normally manages about 1.5-2 kpl lower on the highway. Unlike a City the second cam switches in much earlier on a Civic AT.
Hello Sir, I'd concur with your experiences. Mileage depends on a lot of factors including driving style, speed, roads, ambient temperature, etc

My response to @Challa request for inputs was only based on my 3+ decades of driving experience with cars fitted with MT, ATs and DSG/Tiptronic style transmissions. I am aware of course you've been driving for far longer than me.

One thing I needed clarified - IIRC the iVTEC mechanism in the Indian Civic acts only on the intake cam. Is that correct? It was similar to Toyota's 1ZZ-FE engine in the Corolla 9G and early Altis (10G) models. AFAIK Altises (starting with the 10G facelift) produced in and after 2012, including the current 10G model, come equipped with the newer dual CAM iVVT 2ZR-FE engine.

Last edited by R2D2 : 24th February 2017 at 10:54.
Old 24th February 2017, 13:11   #7993
BANNED

Quote:
Remember Honda has given the AT really tall gearing - just over 50kph per 1000rpm in 5th. In the US EPA figures the AT is marginally more fuel efficient than the MT on the highway. Yes, the MT is slightly more frugal in town.

I expect the new AT with a CVT to better the MT!
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2017, 18:52   #7994
Senior - BHPian

Guys my Civic's bonnet clips (highlighted in yellow color in below pic) are all gone and have done jugaad to keep them in place. Any idea where to buy same from online and what they are called ? Need info on size etc. I would have taken car to spares shop but they are asking for a sample clip but i don't seem to any remaining under the hood. I have lost mostly the right and left side clips/rivets.

Thanks.

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-ivtec.jpg
Old 26th February 2017, 09:32   #7995
BANNED

Quote:
One thing I needed clarified - IIRC the iVTEC mechanism in the Indian Civic acts only on the intake cam. Is that correct?
Absolutely, the out is not into the game. I do learn than the new 1.6Turbo will have VVT on both the inlet and outlet. Maybe it is the reason, apart from Honda boffins knowing their stuff, that there is reportedly no turbo lag.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed