Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2017, 20:48   #8731
BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Guys is it ok to leave the mobile/device charger connected to the 12 volt power outlet socket ? I know the sockets disconnects when the car is switched off but will leaving the charger in result in any drain of the battery.

Thanks.
Hi Sumeet,

My mobile's car charger is almost always connected to the12 volt outlet of the car, I didnt faced any issues related to battery drain till date.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Kunal
kunal_kaushal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2017, 21:02   #8732
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Guys is it ok to leave the mobile/device charger connected to the 12 volt power outlet socket ? I know the sockets disconnects when the car is switched off but will leaving the charger in result in any drain of the battery.
When there's no load on the charger i.e. no device connected there is a very low consumption of electricity probably in 10ths of an Amp that keeps the circuit powered. It is called parasitic drain. BTW your car's ECU, security system, clock, ICE/Head Unit are parasitic loads as well.

Nothing to worry about if you use your car regularly. If you don't drive frequently then disconnect the charger or preferably the battery -ve terminal cable to preserve battery charge. Batteries also have self discharge characteristics which means the state of charge decreases even if it is sitting on a shelf with nothing connected.

Last edited by R2D2 : 4th October 2017 at 21:04.
R2D2 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th October 2017, 23:23   #8733
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks.
Hi Sumeet,

As you stated, the 12v DC socket disconnects power when ACC position is switched off. Hence, there should be no battery drain if you leave a mobile charger connected.

However, make sure that no high amp device is kept connected even when the switch is off.

Regards,
Saket.
saket77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th October 2017, 21:39   #8734
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Hi Sumeet,

As you stated, the 12v DC socket disconnects power when ACC position is switched off. Hence, there should be no battery drain if you leave a mobile charger connected.

However, make sure that no high amp device is kept connected even when the switch is off.

Regards,
Saket.
I actually have 3 devices connected. A front and rear dash camera and a Garmin GPS device which is attached to the charger. Will a combination of these be a bad idea ?
Old 5th October 2017, 21:49   #8735
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I actually have 3 devices connected. A front and rear dash camera and a Garmin GPS device which is attached to the charger. Will a combination of these be a bad idea ?
Assuming you have not bypassed the ignition switch they will not drain the battery. If they have a direct connection then it's possible there will be a very small parasitic drain.

If you haven't faced problems so far means all is fine possibly because you use the car daily. So, not to worry.

A heavier than normal parasitic drain (over 1A) combined with low running makes itself known pretty quickly by messing up your battery.

Last edited by R2D2 : 5th October 2017 at 21:55. Reason: typo
R2D2 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th October 2017, 11:49   #8736
BHPian

Hi all civic gurus,

If you recall my earlier post, where in the engine oil leaked out, i had to do an emergency oil fill. The only oil available was Bharat Petroleum MAK 0W20, synthetic. Link below for reference https://www.amazon.in/MAK-Lubricants...n%3A5808122031

Should i be worried, as it is a "thinner oil" . I live in NCR, so its still pretty hot during the day.

What should be the ideal grade?

Please advise if i can use this till my next oil change, or should i replace it asap, with what viscosity?

Rgds
Old 6th October 2017, 12:19   #8737
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VineetG View Post
Should i be worried, as it is a "thinner oil" . I live in NCR, so its still pretty hot during the day. What should be the ideal grade? Please advise if i can use this till my next oil change, or should i replace it asap, with what viscosity?
Honda has recommended 0W-20 or 5W-20 for its cars. But I believe (and it's only my belief) that this new viscosity is applicable to their newer engines.

So I would recommend replacing this oil with a 0W-30, 5W-30 or 10W-30 mineral or preferably synthetic would serve you better. Check the owners manual for the recommended viscosities vs ambient temperature chart.
Old 6th October 2017, 12:40   #8738
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VineetG View Post
Should i be worried, as it is a "thinner oil" . I live in NCR, so its still pretty hot during the day.
What should be the ideal grade?
Please advise if i can use this till my next oil change, or should i replace it asap, with what viscosity?
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Honda has recommended 0W-20 or 5W-20 for its cars. But I believe (and it's only my belief) that this new viscosity is applicable to their newer engines.

So I would recommend replacing this oil with a 0W-30, 5W-30 or 10W-30 mineral or preferably synthetic would serve you better. Check the owners manual for the recommended viscosities vs ambient temperature chart.
Honda has started using 0W-20, fully synthetic for the Civic as well. I believe a member had written directly to Honda India and they have put it on mail that 0W-20 is safe and good to use in the Civic. So, if you go to HASS now for an oil change, you will surely get 0W-20 by default (for synthetic).
So, actually, I wouldn't worry much.

Regards,
Saket.
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2017, 13:22   #8739
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishrathi88 View Post
Below is the mail I have received just now from Honda Service HQ team regarding the correct engine oil grade for our FD1 Civic.

"This has reference to your trailing mail regarding the engine oil grade.

We thank you for writing us and sharing your feedback.

With regards to your query, we wish to inform you that oil is a major contributor to the car engine's performance and longevity. Hence , it is highly recommended to use genuine Honda Motor oil.

Specific to your query, we wish to inform you that the Synthetic oil is used in the vehicle for better performance . While 5W 30 grade mineral oil (semi synthetic) was recommended for the earlier Civic 1.8 L engines and still is, owned by you, however with the introduction of synthetic oil, we have provided an option of a lesser viscous 0W 20 grade oil which provides easier cold starts during winters than the 5W 30, while maintaining the same viscosity at higher operating temperatures.

Hence 0W 20 grade synthetic oil is tested and recommended for all Domestic Honda Car models (Starting from 1998 and for later models) and is a super-session option to 5W 30 (mineral oil).

However, you can always switch back to the earlier spec oil at any point of time. Please provide a special request to dealer for using the earlier spec oil during your next visit, if you desire so"
This was the explanation given by HCIL HO to me regarding the newer viscosity of oil being used now a days in discontinued Civic.

Last edited by ashishrathi88 : 6th October 2017 at 13:23.
ashishrathi88 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th October 2017, 15:46   #8740
Senior - BHPian

What is good strut brand for the front and rear civic suspension. Or good brand for all the other parts. Iam about to go in for a suspension overhaul but just stuck on the parts brand.

Also, we are having a Mumbai civic/honda mini meet. on the 8th of october, sunday at Candies, Bandra reclaimation. Do join whoever can.

and,

For those of you who may have missed the whatsapp group do join below.

https://*******************/IdzzxfFHPK00p1B4jN3QWh
Old 6th October 2017, 16:18   #8741
BHPian

You can go for TRW or Sachs brand, most parts can be ordered online now thru spareshub.com or industrybuying.com. Avoid changing the original springs unless they have sagged.
Pashin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2017, 17:25   #8742
BHPian

Are there trustworthy Bridgestone tyre dealers in south Mumbai. Need to replace my 6 year old Civic VAT tyres. Have heard of issues with fake Tyres and overcharging so thought I'd take your wise counsel.

Also any views on other tyres to consider.
Old 7th October 2017, 16:51   #8743
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekmohan83 View Post
Are there trustworthy Bridgestone tyre dealers in south Mumbai. Need to replace my 6 year old Civic VAT tyres. Have heard of issues with fake Tyres and overcharging so thought I'd take your wise counsel.

Also any views on other tyres to consider.
Look up team bhp directory for good tyre dealers. I bought my T001 Turanza set from Trevor of Straight Line and they are running just fine.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2017, 12:03   #8744
BHPian

Hi all,

Have a query regarding civic hybrid, has anyone changed the IMA battery pack? if yes, what was the total cost involved and is it advisable to get it done at HASS or is it possible and advisable to get it changed locally ?

For the record I was quoted 1.5 Lac for the battery pack (with 50% upfront payment) and 15 k towards labour.

Regards
Kunal

Last edited by kunal_kaushal : 10th October 2017 at 12:05.
Old 10th October 2017, 12:10   #8745
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunal_kaushal View Post
...is it advisable to get it done at HASS or is it possible and advisable to get it changed locally ?

For the record I was quoted 1.5 Lac for the battery pack (with 50% upfront payment) and 15 k towards labour.
Assuming these are Li ion or Li Polymer batteries I'd always prefer OEM for safety and reliability factor that is intrinsic to OEM supplied critical parts. Cost should not be a consideration with these 2 factors in mind.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks